• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

What's the functional purpose of the Railgun? Is it just a worse Spartan Laser?

I believe it's as if the two aspects of the Splaser, anti-vehicle and anti-infantry, have been split into two weapons. The anti-vehicle part remains the Splaser. The anti-infantry role is now the Railgun.

Prologue

Hopefully this ends up being alright. Ironically, I'm looking forward to SP more than anything else. I only cared for the SP of Reach and Halo 3. I enjoyed Reach the most. Sucker for stories revolving around a small team.

DrBo42

halo4.png

Fuck it. I am prepared.

tch

God damn. Hype is building. Thinking of canceling my new egg preorder and just paying the extra 12 bucks to get in on launch day.

Yeah, glad to see the needler be so good

MrDaravon

Weird, Machinima must have gotten the exclusive on pre-release footage or something. If I'm remembering correctly, in this week's I Love Mondays on Giant Bomb they discussed showing it for this week's Thursday show, but they said that they would have only been allowed to show Forge footage. Hmm.

m23

Weird, Machinima must have gotten the exclusive on pre-release footage or something. If I'm remembering correctly, in this week's I Love Mondays on Giant Bomb they discussed showing it for this week's Thursday show, but they said that they would have only been allowed to show Forge footage. Hmm.

I'm pretty sure SpOps and MP footage is allowed. CyReN said they were allowed to show gameplay of SpOps but no video of the cutscenes.

Homeboyd

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/drbo/halo4.png[IMG]

Fuck it. I am prepared.[/QUOTE]
Nice man. I'm still rocking the old green Halo 3 xbox with like 3 bytes of storage left. :/

Gunna have to pick up a USB I guess... Really should upgrade to the new slim, but with the new xbox coming out next year, don't think I can talk myself into it. Looks sick though.

Actually really agree with the bolded. Then I wrote a long post not many will read...

I honestly think they should have straight up copied Call of Duty in one aspect (and one aspect only). COD makes minor graphical updates and changes very little in the way of core gameplay year to year. They basically make small iterative changes to a game everyone has know, essentially, since MW2 hit the market. On top of that they release a game every single year. In a yearly development/release cycle two things become de facto. 1) You don't have a long time to implement massive changes. 2) All of the smaller changes are more readily accepted by your fanbase because they are all used to your pace and the rate at which the game has progressed to date.

In Halo, with a 3 (or more) year development cycle those two things that have made COD so successful are now working against you. With a longer development time you now have the potential to throw a lot of changes into your title. At the same time the core of your fanbase, the kids/pros/adults/etc., that are still playing your game a full three years after launch have now grown accustomed to a specific iteration of Halo. When you introduce a new game mechanic (especially some of the changes that are so obviously borrowing from other titles) it becomes jarring, abrupt, and shreds a small (or large) part of your most die hard fans. This becomes a downward spiral as you continue to chase larger and larger sales (with larger budgets, more bells and whistles, and more new features copped from other titles) while consistently leaving your core fanatics farther and farther from the Halo they want.

Damn, missed some really good discussions again.. Felt compelled to quote this because of how true it is.

To piggyback on what willow said, it's also difficult because if we get those annual releases CoD has, then M$/343 will run into the community thinking Halo's being milked even more than what people are already saying (which I completely disagree with). It's a shitty cycle either way, especially if people only choose to focus on the negatives..

Personally, my body needs a constant flow of Halo experiences. If 343 develops Halo 5 to ship 3 years from now, I'd hope there are other big Halo releases, otherwise this cycle willow pointed out is sure to continue. 2 years seems like it would be the perfect sweet spot though for numbered Halo releases, especially since 343 has a lot of manpower and M$ is not scared to throw money into Halo (rightfully so).

Halo 4 is an excellent compromise between delivering an authentic Halo experience while simultaneously chasing broader markets. Halo 4 may very well be the most approachable Halo game to date.

The only area I feel they dropped the ball was in restricting options in certain gametypes. There's no reason the flag could not be set to droppable (among other options) in customs.

This is why I don't complain nearly as much as I could because I feel comfortable in saying Halo 4 will be the best Halo experience since 2 IMO, especially with the gameplay. It's definitely a step in the right direction for the franchise.

So has 343 talked about the Falcon yet and why it's not in MP? Watching that IGN Vortex Walkthrough and the other BTB maps makes the Falcon's removal all the more disappointing and puzzling.

Ramirez

Nice OT, I've reached the point where I've seen all I need to, and just want the game in my hands now. Really can't wait to try it out for myself.

Mr.Fresh

Is there a list off all the Gamertags for this game? I only have RL Friends on my 360 right now I wouldn't mind a few gaffers.

exYle

So why not make it better instead of remove it? Pfft, by that logic the BR never should've returned after Halo 3, among many other things..

1328772015_Dog_slap.gif

I agree with you, I loved the Falcon, but... the BR was ALWAYS fun. It had to come back because it was so universally adored.

The Falcon was made a poor vehicle because of Reach's shitty vehicle health, the fact that it could not defend itself against the Banshee, and its inability to carry passengers like in the campaign.

It would've been a much better vehicle in H4.

Top Bottom