• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Isn't it a little early for them to be talking about playlist consolidation for Halo 4?

I'm speculating but after Bravo's recent comment about a final build version for Halo 4 approaching soon (last weeks bulletin I think) and some of the accumulative comments from 343i I think we're getting very close to signing off development changes to Halo 4.

I'm wondering if E3 isn't going to shed some light on this with other Halo announcements or Halo 4 specific announcements. If the new console comes out in OCT/NOV/DEC I'm thinking we have an unannounced Halo launch title which would mean Halo 4 will cease to receive DLC or development changes and will be relegated to playlist/setting management in the current fortnightly structure. Of course there is plenty of scope for change with Forge, new weapon tuning abilities and community creations etc while Halo 4 runs its matchmaking course.

I'm all for that, not saying it like a bad thing, but it seems plausible to me in terms of a quick lifecycle, next gen release, sustain and a new next gen Halo title this year or next year. There has to be something behind Halo 4 DLC coming out fast enough to be prior the reveal and E3...

TheOddOne

People complained about the normal going ons in a HaloGAF thread which was meta for how many threads now? Really? People were annoyed JUST NOW? I mean... I give up.

Madness

Good bulletin. I think Halo 4 would need to be consolidated. Let's face it, some playlists are barely maintaining over a couple hundred every day, even at peak hours.

We all knew Halo 4 wouldn't have a large shelf life.

Tashi, did you find with the buff to the Carbine, it basically became the new DMR? Meaning is it going to be the go to long range shooter?

Madness

I get it, it was my fault. I will never make an OT ever again.

Nah, it was a long time coming. I didn't even know Mods were monitoring the thread or that other parts of GAF were complaining about us.

It was a good OT OddOne. I didn't even notice the other shit you added after the first day though. You should post all that info here. Basically detailed everything that's happened since Jan.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Good bulletin. I think Halo 4 would need to be consolidated. Let's face it, some playlists are barely maintaining over a couple hundred every day, even at peak hours.

We all knew Halo 4 wouldn't have a large shelf life.

Tashi, did you find with the buff to the Carbine, it basically became the new DMR? Meaning is it going to be the go to long range shooter?

Not at all. It's still the mid range rifle that it always was in terms of range. It doesn't hit long range as well as the DMR or LR. It's about on par with the BR

Madness

Not at all. It's still the mid range rifle that it always was in terms of range. It doesn't hit long range as well as the DMR or LR. It's about on par with the BR

In that case, any negatives with choosing updated BR over updated Carbine for smaller maps? I'll still probably stick with DMR/LR for open, large maps to ping from afar.

Anyways, I'll go check out forge island, I think they fixed it. Thanks.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
In that case, any negatives with choosing updated BR over updated Carbine for smaller maps? I'll still probably stick with DMR/LR for open, large maps to ping from afar.

Anyways, I'll go check out forge island, I think they fixed it. Thanks.

I'd say it's just a matter of preference. For me the BR is just easier to use because I'm not spamming the trigger which actually messes up my aiming sometimes with the carbine.

Infinity Slayer is literally Scythe and Opus now.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And nonstop Slayer Pro for my parties with the occasional Infinity on a DLC map :]

No radar is truly a beautiful thing, especially if you play with friends. 10 sensitivity works wonders with awareness and without radar more emphasis is put on a single player. A duo can make a huge difference on a disorganized team of 4 unlike Infinity with radar.

Radar is a crutch. Break free from it and you'll drastically improve both as an individual player and as a team player.

Good maps!
Only two though!

And their forge, which is forge.
And nonstop Slayer Pro for my parties with the occasional Infinity on a DLC map :]

No radar is truly a beautiful thing, especially if you play with friends. 10 sensitivity works wonders with awareness and without radar more emphasis is put on a single player. A duo can make a huge difference on a disorganized team of 4 unlike Infinity with radar.

Radar is a crutch.. Break free from it and you'll drastically improve both as an individual player and as a team player.

DLC?

Da fuq you talking about?

Madness

Radar is a crutch. Break free from it and you'll drastically improve both as an individual player and as a team player.

I agree I love no radar but it's such a staple of the past games, I'm already seeing people voting for something like simplex infinity slayer over haven or opus slayer pro.

I think radar being added, would be great because it would draw more people than lose, if you sort of get what I mean you know? Like we won't stop playing if there is radar, but no radar and people have a hard time.

Buy I actually am having a lot of fun. Infinity slayer, big team, forge island and Castle are all I've been playing.

It's not a crutch, some players don't want to twitch out every second of their game. Further stealth is a game mechanic that is sorely missing from no radar gametypes, especially CTF or assault for example. All that said I've been thoroughly enjoying slayer pro no radar over Infinity in BTB for example.

I believe there is plenty of room for radar and no radar, just give them as voting options. Usually the partied up teams will control the vote and therefore can control the settings of no radar vs. radar. There are also existing playlists like Throwdown where no radar or ally only radar are the norm. I can totally respect the teamwork involved with no radar too but it's not how I love to play Halo nor most of my regular team mates either. It has also been a default staple since day 1 CE. They should provide for both.

Also a worthy cause that I recommend Halo players jump on board with, Light The Beacons

Released

It's not a crutch, some players don't want to twitch out every second of their game. Further stealth is a game mechanic that is sorely missing from no radar gametypes, especially CTF or assault for example. All that said I've been thoroughly enjoying slayer pro no radar over Infinity in BTB for example.

What? If anything, stealth becomes much more viable in no radar because you can flank without having to crouch walk through the opposing team's set-up.

Madness

What? If anything, stealth becomes much more viable in no radar because you can flank without having to crouch walk through the opposing team's set-up.

But it works both ways then. Without radar, you don't know where the other team is either. Meaning, how do you know that there aren't 3 guys just through that area but with radar, you can see people firing, where they are, and then purposely avoid them etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love no radar, but I can see its uses and wouldn't mind it back either way. But with radar, you gain more people than you'll lose I think.

No radar means fewer campers just watching you and waiting for you, better team play and relying on X on death and callouts etc. But I can see where people would want it back. Especially those who play with randoms and there are no callouts.

Ken

But it works both ways then. Without radar, you don't know where the other team is either. Meaning, how do you know that there aren't 3 guys just through that area bug with radar, you can see people firing, where they are, and then purposely avoid them etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love no radar, but I can see its uses and wouldn't mind it back either way. But with radar, you gain more people than you'll lose I think.

And those three won't know where you are either leading to #bigplays

Without radar the game increases speed and it's like automatic running stealth opposed to calculated skilled stealth. I'm not against no radar but I'd like a radar on voting variants please. Simple provide for both as I understand the nuances of change that lead to hardcore competitive play vs. default competitive play.

I personally find no radar games are made up of far more visual checking and "chance" or team communication moreover than stealth itself. I already check my lines of sight, corners and multiple angles but when I play no radar I feel I have to either constantly move or constantly twitch for that awareness factor. Sure it's fun and preferred over Infinity but it's not how I like to play or how the default style team I play with like it either. The team I frequent and I prefer default over MLG/AGL for example, I suppose that is the focal shift with radar vs. no radar.

In no radar it's easy to simply disappear or not be seen, now in the larger more convoluted Halo 4 maps no radar stealth is simply too easy and lacks the real stealth skill involved with default. In terms of Throwdown I understand this isn't the case as those maps are smaller and generally more symmetrical for exactly those no radar gameplay reasons. Not that Halo 4 CTF caters for stealth plays very much but remember Zanzibar 1-flag or 1-bomb and it's that style of stealth I hold so important to radar being on. I also make such radar on comments as it does provide feedback for solo players, players on non-regular or non-communicative teams etc.

In throwdown or AGL/MLG I can see how radar is considered a crutch but in the wider gametypes or settings of general Halo/Halo 4 it is not a crutch but a different set of mechanics that heavily affect gameplay and player awareness etc.

Further when you factor in the differences of latency, especially when playing from Australia like me, you realise why radar becomes important. I find in no radar games I've already dropped not just 1 shot from being outplayed or positioned but I've lost 2 to 3 shots simply because of the latency involved. By having radar on I'm able to counter or be proactive or bait with my radar etc.

With radar on you can also play some serious deceit or cat and mouse games, rather than run and gun or guess/predict no radar movements for example. Again if this is arena style maps I can see how the teamwork aspect is paramount here but in terms of the Halo 4 maps or default objective styles radar to me is a very important aspect of those playlists.

DLC?

Da fuq you talking about?

Yeah lol, I've been seeing DLC maps more frequently.

I agree I love no radar but it's such a staple of the past games, I'm already seeing people voting for something like simplex infinity slayer over haven or opus slayer pro.

I think radar being added, would be great because it would draw more people than lose, if you sort of get what I mean you know? Like we won't stop playing if there is radar, but no radar and people have a hard time.

Buy I actually am having a lot of fun. Infinity slayer, big team, forge island and Castle are all I've been playing.

While you guys are correct on radar being a staple, so was no radar. Also, Ozzy it's a crutch that limits players from breaking out of their comfort zones into becoming better players overall. A player grown without radar will perform better in radar than a player grown with radar playing without radar, for example.

Either way, I'm fully aware that the majority of Halo players like radar, but I think a better compromise would be sound-based radar for multiple reasons. It would be the perfect middle ground that promotes map movement and faster gameplay while still alerting players who like to know where enemies are attacking from if they aren't in their line of sight without the reliance on teamwork/communication.

Ken

"Calculated skilled stealth" usually amounts to crouch walking very slowly or camping with a mauler out waiting for people to walk by, going by my limited time in matchmaking.

The former usually isn't worth it with all the mobility options available to players, and the latter favors terrible people.

"Calculated skilled stealth" usually amounts to crouch walking very slowly or camping with a mauler out waiting for people to walk by, going by my limited time in matchmaking.

I like what I term stealth offensive. I've played an absolute shit ton of objective ranked from Halo 2 & 3, like 15,000+ games it at 50 levels. I'm a CTF/assault freak. Stealth is paramount to these game modes in default. AGL/MLG is all about teamwork and I can say I'd be up in the top percentages of players in terms of stealth bomb arms and working with my team so they draw the attention while I stealth another route. I can also confidently say I've never camped in my life.

Further if a player is camping with a mauler or scattershot it does not matter if radar is on or off. When you walk into that hallway they are waiting for you either way, bam shotgun or boltshot to the face.

Here's yet another perspective. Imagine a camper on The Pit where the shotguns spawn on default 2-flag ranked. You throw a grenade to ensure you've covered campers in those elbows as you approach the flag to steal it.

1. With radar on you'll flush out the camper and ping them on radar or they have to move to avoid the frag damage.

2. With radar off you'll not see that enemy move or take damage and still be open to their waiting attack.

And another perspective, what of radar baiting? Countless times I've used radar to appear to be in one part of a base only to then hide in another or arm the bomb while I caused a purposeful distraction. This can happen in no radar games but is far more limited in options. You can't exactly ping out a radar movement on lower Zanzibar base to attract enemies while you head up stairs to unlock a gate or attract them for a bomb kill. In the no radar version you'd have to expose a line of sight to attract them and then the jig is already up. It's a game nuance I love and it's not a crutch, it's mechanics I can outplay enemies or even entire teams with in CTF or assault.

Nebula

I've always seen no radar as something that should be saved for the big leagues. It's much easier to deal with it in a playlist/setting where you know you will get communicating teammates, so the issue of having no radar is countered by a team calling out where they're going and where they see the enemy. You just don't get that in BTB and other more social playlists which is why radar should be on. You could blame stuff like party chat and the usual people who seem to only be in game chat to rage at you and try to trash talk for people not wanting to communicate, and some people see it as a 'sweaty' way to play so they don't for some reason.

Finally managed to get a test version of my NatGeo map (now called Republic) up and into my file-share. If anyone manages to get some games played on it I would love some feedback. It is my first asymmetrical map I have made in forge so I am still trying to sort out spawns and all that jazz.

Download link : http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/2d22b8e9-bffc-4722-aaf8-3176ff1bdd5e

Halo4-Halo4-2013-05-0609-41-19_zps091d5855.png

Nebula

Finally managed to get a test version of my NatGeo map (now called Republic) up and into my file-share. If anyone manages to get some games played on it I would love some feedback. It is my first asymmetrical map I have made in forge so I am still trying to sort out spawns and all that jazz.

Download link : http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/2d22b8e9-bffc-4722-aaf8-3176ff1bdd5e

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/SHIFTY_time/Halo4-Halo4-2013-05-0609-41-19_zps091d5855.png

Paging Tashi, if he's still testing maps for anything that it.

I'll take a look around it in forge later as well, but I don't have the people to test it.

Fuchsdh

I've been having a hard time with the Midship-inspired map Onyx. Just seems like there are too many angles on you no matter where you are; I'm always getting pinged from two different directions even when I'm trying to stay on the edges of the map. I imagine a 4-shot BR is going to make that even worse. Midship still had "rooms" and a lot more in the center of the map which I think helped avoid that.

IHaveIce

Banned
I've been having a hard time with the Midship-inspired map Onyx. Just seems like there are too many angles on you no matter where you are; I'm always getting pinged from two different directions even when I'm trying to stay on the edges of the map. I imagine a 4-shot BR is going to make that even worse. Midship still had "rooms" and a lot more in the center of the map which I think helped avoid that.

The center of this map (Onyx) is much more closed than Midship?

Never had a real problem on it( except when it was broken)

CTF is also great on this one

Top Bottom