• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

BigShow36

It pushes the DMR away from the superior role. It does something important.

Why is that important? What's wrong with the DMR that the BR somehow fixes? It really doesn't matter what weapon skin fills the "primary rifle" slot. All I care about when dealing with balance is how rapidly a weapon kills and how difficult it is to achieve that max kill time. This update does nothing to change that, and it does nothing to change how the game will play.

And didn't they say something about reducing Auto-Aim?

On the Automatics, which is a great move but will really only affect games where players are using AR's a lot. They really need to expand that to the primary rifles.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I realize that, but his point was this update does very little to the actual gameplay except swap which primary weapons most players will use. Making the primary weapons more "balanced" against one another is really irrelevant, because that's really a personal preference rather than a detriment to gameplay. In the end, the game is still going to play out almost identical to how it did prior to the update except there's going to be more BR ammo lying about. Sure, "feel" is an important part of a game, but it has very little bearing on the actual gameplay balance.

Actually the game plays faster now because of all the weapon buffs. That's what this rebalance has done to the gameplay overall. I think that's pretty significant.

BigShow36

Actually the game plays faster now because of all the weapon buffs. That's what this rebalance has done to the gameplay overall. I think that's pretty significant.

So the BR kills more rapidly than the DMR did prior to the update? If so, by how much? My understanding was that they brought the BR to parity with the DMR.

Tashi

So the BR kills more rapidly than the DMR did prior to the update? If so, by how much? My understanding was that they brought the BR to parity with the DMR.

I don't have the kill times but I believe a zoomed on light rifle has the fastest kill time followed by the carbine. I could be wrong though so don't quote me.

Zoomed in LR melts. Might be OP. Might dominate BTB.

BigShow36

I don't have the kill times but I believe a zoomed on light rifle has the fastest kill time followed by the carbine. I could be wrong though so don't quote me.

Zoomed in LR melts. Might be OP. Might dominate BTB.

Well that's a small step in the right direction (how much remains to be seen). Faster kill times is a much, much needed feature for Halo 4. Ideally they would further decrease the kill time while reducing the aim assists, but hey, small victories I guess.

Tashi

Well that's a small step in the right direction (how much remains to be seen). Faster kill times is a much, much needed feature for Halo 4. Ideally they would further decrease the kill time while reducing the aim assists, but hey, small victories I guess.

It's very intense. I wish I could have captured some matches while in Seattle to display it. It just puts more pressure on each shot and requires faster thinking. It felt really nice.

I also played Halo CE competitively with good people for probably the first time ever. I mean, I was drinking so early on I was shooting my pistol like a BR but damn it was fun. I was amazed how 2v2's worked on such large maps. Obviously some were better than others. Another interesting thing to note was the speed at which power ups and weapons were dropping. Yet somehow the games didn't snipers for everyone or perma OS. I guess that all comes down to the pistol. Took me until later in the 1st night and the 2nd night to begin to hold my own and learn the spawn system. The game is quite unforgiving especially when you're playing against Ghostayame.

Did you test Promod settings? (If you even still have Halo 4 lol)

No bloom, no flinch, better strafe, less aim assist, Camo powerup, etc.

Modded and also fast kill times.
It's pretty great stuff. I downloaded a bunch of their new gametypes, 1-flag is among them, but haven't played customs in a while.

It's pretty great stuff. I downloaded a bunch of their new gametypes, 1-flag is among them, but haven't played customs in a while.

Now this I have to check out! Nergasm for 1 flag, is it classic rounds based?

Infinity Slayer against a good team is just absolutely infuriating.
Armor abilities make me so sad :(

To be fair any of the Halo games are infuriating with lopsided teams, CE or 2 or 3 or Reach and yes Halo 4 too. The same goes for sports IRL. Remember Zanzibar slayer or objective spawn killing? How about Lockout spawn killing or setups when you're on a team of randies etc. It's all very similar in terms of regular teams vs. randoms.

I do find PO against a good team is worse than AA's. At least with AA's you can compete or make choices but against 2 to 3 enemies all getting a binary or beam rifle etc things can get lopsided quickly.

Tashi said:
I also played Halo CE competitively with good people for probably the first time ever.

I played CE in several local tournaments held by Game Crazy, and most people were really good. CE is a lot of fun when you're not destroying everyone else because no one understands the power of the pistol.

BigShow36

Did you test Promod settings? (If you even still have Halo 4 lol)

No bloom, no flinch, better strafe, less aim assist, Camo powerup, etc.

Modded and also fast kill times.

I don't know how to access those gametypes. Do I need a modded box?

It's very intense. I wish I could have captured some matches while in Seattle to display it. It just puts more pressure on each shot and requires faster thinking. It felt really nice.

I also played Halo CE competitively with good people for probably the first time ever. I mean, I was drinking so early on I was shooting my pistol like a BR but damn it was fun. I was amazed how 2v2's worked on such large maps. Obviously some were better than others. Another interesting thing to note was the speed at which power ups and weapons were dropping. Yet somehow the games didn't snipers for everyone or perma OS. I guess that all comes down to the pistol. Took me until later in the 1st night and the 2nd night to begin to hold my own and learn the spawn system. The game is quite unforgiving especially when you're playing against Ghostayame.

It's amazing how much faster kill times and higher skill gap open up the game.

BigShow36

Nope, I have them. I'll send you an PM which fileshare to look for

Sweet, I may hop on tonight and see if any of you guys are on.

To be fair any of the Halo games are infuriating, CE or 2 or 3 or Reach and yes Halo 4 too. Remember Zanzibar slayer or objective spawn killing? How about Lockout spawn killing or setups when you're on a team of randies etc. It's all very similar in terms of regular teams vs. randoms.

In CE, where the skill gap was exponentially higher, it wasn't infuriating because you could dominate uneven teams if you were better/more strategic than the other team. Sure, when everyone lands 90% of their shots like they do in later Halo games its infuriating because you simply cannot overcome teamshot, but when there's a significant aiming skill gap, you can overcome unequal teams.

Akai__

I'm a little confused, about the latest Infection change. Can you replace the Flood model now with Spartan ones or did I understand that wrong?

Not that I play Infection, but this would mean, that some fun game-types are returning. I had a great time playing Infection gametypes in Halo 3 besides MLG all the time. :)

Sweet, I may hop on tonight and see if any of you guys are on.

In CE, where the skill gap was exponentially higher, it wasn't infuriating because you could dominate uneven teams if you were better/more strategic than the other team. Sure, when everyone lands 90% of their shots like they do in later Halo games its infuriating because you simply cannot overcome teamshot, but when there's a significant aiming skill gap, you can overcome unequal teams.

Sure I agree with that to an extent, the same went for Halo 2 but not to the same degree as CE. While I enjoy solid teamwork I much prefer the solo-beast feelings of Halo 2 or CE, as you say you could take on 2-3 players and come out on top consistently.

It's a real shame things like strafe out of sword lunge or ducking melees and skilled mechanics like that are gone. When you combine less aim assist with game nuances such as these it leads to a single player being able to compete against a team. However teamwork can trump most solo-beast plays, especially over the course of a match as opposed to one engagement.

I also find now with the Halo 4 CTF you are severely limited in solo winning play. For example on Ragnarok 2-flag with 5v5 you basically have to use guerrilla warfare to pick off 1-2 and sometimes 3 players before you can take the flag. Camo helps steal the flag at an opportune time or without taking out players but often you're then being chased immediately. Of course your team backing you up is paramount but you can't drop the flag and take out 1-3 guys as you run the flag back. Anytime your enemies use the buddy system you dead as the flag guy, pretty much.

Halo 3 had some solo play but again it was watered down in favour of teamwork. Halo 3 CTF or assault still allowed a decent amount of solo objective winning strategies but now in Halo 4 it's a serious challenge to affect the game outcome on your own with a team of randies. You're essentially forced into slaying. Regular teams or a full party is almost a guaranteed win these days.

I'm a little confused, about the latest Infection change. Can you replace the Flood model now with Spartan ones or did I understand that wrong?

Not that I play Infection, but this would mean, that some fun game-types are returning. I had a great time playing Infection gametypes in Halo 3 besides MLG all the time. :)

They added Reach's menu options via mods, replaced the flood biped by a spartan one, no forced colors on humans.

Akai__

They added Reach's menu options via mods, replaced the flood biped by a spartan one, no forced colors on humans.

So this is a mod and not an actual update from 343i? I understood that completely wrong then.

I also wanted to say, that I like the new Forge-playlist. This is what Halo needs. Small sized and symetrical maps. 343i hire those people please and let them use your map creating tool, because those people are awesome.

Rev3rb

Oh well that explains a lot. When i played in the last game with guys in here, i would press reload and it wouldnt even reload and would still shoot....i thought it was normal, but now i see that something was definitely wrong.

You were playing the ridiculous RRX gametype

IHaveIce

Banned
Is the strafe actually better?

I'm not actually sure, it feels better, but it could be a placebo effect.

Maybe the guy just said this is also possible to do.

He said he can do all the stuff 343 could do , that means they could easily tweak this shit :(

Just played a crazy gametype with Monkey and friend.

We have to get a party, goo guys get on.

wwm0nkey

If we can get at least 12 people and play Promod Evolved on Verdigulch that would be amazing...though it would pretty much be Unreal Tournament at that point too lol

Top Bottom