• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Duji

So the BR kills more rapidly than the DMR did prior to the update? If so, by how much? My understanding was that they brought the BR to parity with the DMR.

The BR is now 4sk requiring 11 bullets to kill. They slowed down the RoF, but I don't know by how much. Since the people who played the new gametypes barely noticed the RoF change, I'm going to assume it's by 1 frame with every shot, giving us a 1.43 second kill time when it was previously 1.73s. DMR is unchanged at 1.47s. The BR would be 1.53s if they slowed it down by 2 frames, but I highly doubt they did that since it seems like the BR kills faster than the DMR now.

damn it.

i can't believe i even got through half of that. looks dumb.

TBH I didn't even watch it, reality shows aren't my thing, I just thought to pass it along for those that might like it.

I can't believe I watched the "on TV" first series of The Mole here in Aus.

The BR is now 4sk requiring 11 bullets to kill. They slowed down the RoF, but I don't know by how much. Since the people who played the new gametypes barely noticed the RoF change, I'm going to assume it's by 1 frame with every shot, giving us a 1.43 second kill time when it was previously 1.73s. DMR is unchanged at 1.47s. The BR would be 1.53s if they slowed it down by 2 frames, but I highly doubt they did that since it seems like the BR kills faster than the DMR now.

I can't speak about the exact time but Bravo mentioned 11 bullets in a previous bulletin, something about helping team shooting be more effective I think, but without affecting the solo 4SK still.

Infinity Slayer against a good team is just absolutely infuriating.
Armor abilities make me so sad :(

Good players + radar + AA's on spawn = some insanely boring and sometimes frustrating experiences.

In CE, where the skill gap was exponentially higher, it wasn't infuriating because you could dominate uneven teams if you were better/more strategic than the other team. Sure, when everyone lands 90% of their shots like they do in later Halo games its infuriating because you simply cannot overcome teamshot, but when there's a significant aiming skill gap, you can overcome unequal teams.

The bolded is key and has been overlooked (by design) since Halo 2 released. If you're down by 15+ in Halo 2 and on, you're basically screwed. So many games in Halo 1 where if you just gain a little momentum and maintain consistency over the other team you would have a shot at winning, despite the current score.

While I enjoy solid teamwork I much prefer the solo-beast feelings of Halo 2 or CE, as you say you could take on 2-3 players and come out on top consistently.

No, man. Halo 2 began the death of the individual player. The only way you can make a significant push and change the momentum of a match is if you had a power weapon, definitely not with nonpower weapons unless you were coordinating flawlessly with a team.

Uh. I may be in the minority here but i'll take sprint ANY DAY over 110 percent movement speed.

Thats not exactly how it happened I dont think. Basically sprint is now 100% and default is 80%. Where in Halo 2 and Halo 3 you were just always fast. Sure sprint makes you seem fast, but its only cause you go slow naturally now.

To be fair any of the Halo games are infuriating with lopsided teams, CE or 2 or 3 or Reach and yes Halo 4 too. The same goes for sports IRL. Remember Zanzibar slayer or objective spawn killing? How about Lockout spawn killing or setups when you're on a team of randies etc. It's all very similar in terms of regular teams vs. randoms.

I do find PO against a good team is worse than AA's. At least with AA's you can compete or make choices but against 2 to 3 enemies all getting a binary or beam rifle etc things can get lopsided quickly.
No it isn't that the teams were unfair, we were good too.
The issue is that Infinity Slayer just has way too many variables that can be abused in unsportsmanlike ways, specifically armor abilities.

Personal ordnance is just random, it can't really be abused... Besides camping I guess. But that wasn't the issue in this particular incident.

Madness

Man do i miss the weapon specific medals. Just got a killing frenzy with sword on complex BTB pro, so good without radar or infinity. Wasn't even hiding either, just running around.

Would have gotten perfection but teammate betrayed all of us with ghost near end, took out 4 of us. Didn't count as betrayal for some reason but as kill by other team. We won 1000-310 which is just sad because we were all a bunch of randoms.

Starting to actually feel like old Halo a bit. Static weapons, no loadout crap, no personal ordnance. This was complex and I enjoyed it lol.

Am noticing the slower match joining times.

Thats not exactly how it happened I dont think. Basically sprint is now 100% and default is 80%. Where in Halo 2 and Halo 3 you were just always fast. Sure sprint makes you seem fast, but its only cause you go slow naturally now.

Hire juices.

Just so we may fire juices.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

No i get that. Im talking specifically within the context of H4. With sprint at least you can bail on bad fights or get to a spot quickly. I just dont see the appeal of a slightly faster walk speed.

Mobility is variable friend. In either direction. But yea sure why not sprint is to blame for everything.

Truth be told, if the recovery time on the Sprint animation was MUCH faster, I'd have less of a problem with it. Same goes for weapon swapping.

We're Spartans, why do these things have to be so slow and clunky?

Guys...

My friend is actually trying to defend the xbox one.

lol

I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole but I personally don't think it needs to be defended. This used games and profile locked content was always going to happen. Even if Sony don't include it this generation its going to happen the gen after.

Used games have always been a concern for publishers. Buying used is supporting archaic brick and mortar retailers and no one else. I personally think that if you want to show support for a game then you should be it new. Always online is DRM plain and simple and Sony have already said its an option for developers/publishers to "turn on" and you had better bet your ass the vast majority of "giants" will. EA have done away with online passes in favor of it. Activision are more than likely going to use it, 1st party titles will.

The Xbox One has a nice feature set and some good improvements. Its a weaker console and that's a shame but it is what it is. This console fanboy bullshit of having to argue why a console is better than another is ridiculous. If it has games you want buy it. If it doesn't don't. Let people do what they want. GAF/The Internet went full hivemind over the Xbox One while Sony have still not denied many of the negative features.

Gaming is changing because publishers have more power to do what they want. If you want the gaming of yesteryear then your best bet is getting a gaming pc then you only have to deal with per game DRM, and some games that you can't trade in.

What did all those who clamored for a digital only future think was going to happen. You would be able to trade your games with a buddy still?

That was all crazy off topic so that's all I'll say on the matter.

Going to jump on Halo 4 now and try these new maps out.

daedalius

Once the TU hits, sprinting around is going to be very dangerous considering you can't defend yourself for a moment once you break out of it. In a 4 shot BR battle, you are going to be 2 down before you even get your first shot off. It really is like this already if you are fighting someone who is decent.

Not having sprint at this point would just feel weird.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I don't see how anyone could possibly support the crap the One is throwing at us.

don't know why i'm bothering to reply but
- the "anti-consumer" stuff doesnt affect me
- the dash/ui/os looks terrific, i like the multimedia stuff
- kinect looks much improved and i'm curious were the tech can go with it mandatory and included in all consoles
- forza looks AWESOME, and aside from halo (a xbox exclusive) its about the only IP that i dont think i can live without.

i'll add that the unveiling was pretty dull aside from a few nice parts, but i do think MS will have a lot more games to show at e3.

lastly, i'm not fully in the xbox one camp - i need to see more game to game comparisons with ps4 to make that call, but i dont think they've necessarily dropped the ball either.

I remember when you used to get punished for being in a bad position and making mistakes.

I guess as a casual FPS that Halo is, and the fact it no longer involvies skill it makes sense. For the kiddies.

Who wants to play that game though? At the end of the day.

Madness

No i get that. Im talking specifically within the context of H4. With sprint at least you can bail on bad fights or get to a spot quickly. I just dont see the appeal of a slightly faster walk speed.

More often than not sprint is used as a get out of jail card, it turns what is a first person shooter, into a game of hide and seek or cat and mouse.

You highlighted the problem right there. With sprint you can bail quickly. Sprint causes people to foolishly run into battle and die, or to keep running away.

Now it wouldn't be so bad, but base movement is so slow in regards to sprint, that there is nothing you can do.

Case in point, Ragnarok. Guy foolishly rushes into middle of field, gets out played and instead of dying, bolts into a cave and just hides or runs behind cover.

In older Halo games, you couldn't do that. You had faster strafe speed and movement, so that if you were caught out in the open, you could evade shots if you were skilled enough. You didn't need to run away.

Fuchsdh

I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole but I personally don't think it needs to be defended. This used games and profile locked content was always going to happen. Even if Sony don't include it this generation its going to happen the gen after.

Used games have always been a concern for publishers. Buying used is supporting archaic brick and mortar retailers and no one else. I personally think that if you want to show support for a game then you should be it new. Always online is DRM plain and simple and Sony have already said its an option for developers/publishers to "turn on" and you had better bet your ass the vast majority of "giants" will. EA have done away with online passes in favor of it. Activision are more than likely going to use it, 1st party titles will.

The Xbox One has a nice feature set and some good improvements. Its a weaker console and that's a shame but it is what it is. This console fanboy bullshit of having to argue why a console is better than another is ridiculous. If it has games you want buy it. If it doesn't don't. Let people do what they want. GAF/The Internet went full hivemind over the Xbox One while Sony have still not denied many of the negative features.

Gaming is changing because publishers have more power to do what they want. If you want the gaming of yesteryear then your best bet is getting a gaming pc then you only have to deal with per game DRM, and some games that you can't trade in.

What did all those who clamored for a digital only future think was going to happen. You would be able to trade your games with a buddy still?

Used games is one of those things that I completely see where both sides are coming from and I'm torn. On one hand, yeah you're completely cutting the developers off buying used. On the other hand, video games are hardly unique; no one complains that buying books used hurts the poor college textbook industry. The few remaining mom-and-pop bookstores are predicated on used books, which the publishers are not seeing money off of.

And yeah the console fanboy stuff is pure crud, not to mention the histrionics at every little rumor and shift in the wind.

Also, when it comes down to used games, if I'm getting a game off eBay versus buying it discounted months down the line, the difference is usually pretty small--what, $10? Don't buy yourself two cups of coffee one day. It might be your god-given right to buy used, but that doesn't mean that publishers have to like it. If they alienate the people who were never going to buy the game if it wasn't used, they haven't lost a sale.

Once the TU hits, sprinting around is going to be very dangerous considering you can't defend yourself for a moment once you break out of it. In a 4 shot BR battle, you are going to be 2 down before you even get your first shot off. It really is like this already if you are fighting someone who is decent.

Not having sprint at this point would just feel weird.

IfWhen Sprint is in Halo 5 I want the option to disable it. Sprint is a detriment to gameplay for me. Its been discussed millions of times but I'll just say I don't like it.

Edit: Just played CTF on Crucifix. Good map. Randoms are Terrible

willow ve

Armor Abilities off spawn has to be one of the most infuriating mechanics built into a modern shooter. Camo and Jetpack need to go (and I abuse Jetpack all the time).

Redford

aka Cabbie
I played this game for the first time since before CSR. Wish Rumble Pit had more players, it's still the best fun I've had though. Slayer Pro's a pretty solid Halo game now aside from the weapon skill-gap.

Tashi, The maps seems good. I only played 2 but no real issue with Crucifix. The second map was huge and had too many power weapons and I got pissed so I quit.

Armor Abilities off spawn has to be one of the most infuriating mechanics built into a modern shooter. Camo and Jetpack need to go (and I abuse Jetpack all the time).

It's fine with playlist management for loadouts or as map pick ups e.g. Infinity vs. classic. The issue was 343i didn't cater for this at launch or voting options correctly and have been playing catch up. It was all too Infinity based at launch.

I'd say 50-75% I just want even starts but I don't mind 25% of my games as Infinity style. As for AA's I just never raged like some do and I've enjoyed them in Reach and 4. However the pinnacle of Halo gameplay is certainly even starts, no AA's, map pick ups and arena style 4v4.

But even that has sub settings for radar, movement, damage etc. If most playlists had 3 votes as:

1. Legendary
2. Slayer Pro
3. Infinity

Then I think things would really work themselves out and be catered for. I've said it before but they should provide the same map in vote round 1 with 3 variants then a veto for round 2 with a second different map and 3 more variants to vote for.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi, The maps seems good. I only played 2 but no real issue with Crucifix. The second map was huge and had too many power weapons and I got pissed so I quit.

Forgotten?

We had some really epic games on that map. Especially in CTF. Give it another shot

JackHerer

I dislike Crucifix, it's way too segmented. Too difficult to move around the map and the middle room is too claustrophobic, making nades overpowered. It's also a boltshot heavy map with all those corners to hide in. No bueno imo.

All the other maps are solid though. Onyx is great, I hope it makes it into V4 Throwdown. The Narrows-esque one is awesome. Forgotten (I think? It has a Warthog) is pretty large but still plays great 4v4 for CTF. Ender is also very nice. I love the design. Easy to tell where you are immediately and plays well on all game types I've tried so far. Nice aesthetics.

Forge Island playlist is probably the most fun in the game right now. Good mix of game types keeps me interested. Too much SWAT being voted in is my only complaint on that front. I hope the playlist sticks around for a bit.

Regarding the maps Tashi, most seemed alright to me but the one that stuck out most to me was Republic. That one just felt right for SWAT, at least to me. I know Ice really had some troubles there but I liked it.

Onyx and Crucifix worked alright I thought. Not perfect but I think they could definitely work. Onyx more than Crucifix if it was up to me.

Fuggedaboutit is a decent map I think but I don't really think it is right for SWAT.

After that was Confined, which I first played last night with ExWife and some other bros. I really disliked it last night and while it grew on me a bit tonight I still did not enjoy it much. Probably just me though.

I liked Elevated and I think that could work well for SWAT for sure. Mr Rodgers Neighborhood was way too big and way too busy. Polar opposites between these two.

Intercession B really had some wonky spawning and sightlines. It was pretty frequent to have someone spawn directly in my line of sight in front of me and I was shot in the back off somebody's spawn a few times as well. I'm not a cartographer so take this all with a grain of salt but I did like this map but some things need to be changed. I don't know what exactly, but it could use some work.

The last two before that goofy last one were definitely the highlights to me. Graphite and Republic both felt very good to me and I could definitely see myself playing on them a lot in the future. Although on Graphite I did come around a corner one time and had Tashi, Snipe, and Agent all spawn directly in front of me in the open. I choked hard because I was surprised as hell but could have definitely gotten a triple kill if I was even slightly better. There were a few other line of sight spawn issues but overall I really liked both Graphite and Republic.

It was a fun night and thanks for having me! I'm not the greatest player but if you ever need any more help or insight or whatever feel free to ask. Have a good one.

Kibbles

From the Games tab on the Xbox One. Possible E3 hints, new Halo game? (fuck yeah Crackdown, new Rare game too)

whOZKpD.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
Regarding the maps Tashi, most seemed alright to me but the one that stuck out most to me was Republic. That one just felt right for SWAT, at least to me. I know Ice really had some troubles there but I liked it.

Onyx and Crucifix worked alright I thought. Not perfect but I think they could definitely work. Onyx more than Crucifix if it was up to me.

Fuggedaboutit is a decent map I think but I don't really think it is right for SWAT.

After that was Confined, which I first played last night with ExWife and some other bros. I really disliked it last night and while it grew on me a bit tonight I still did not enjoy it much. Probably just me though.

I liked Elevated and I think that could work well for SWAT for sure. Mr Rodgers Neighborhood was way too big and way too busy. Polar opposites between these two.

Intercession B really had some wonky spawning and sightlines. It was pretty frequent to have someone spawn directly in my line of sight in front of me and I was shot in the back off somebody's spawn a few times as well. I'm not a cartographer so take this all with a grain of salt but I did like this map but some things need to be changed. I don't know what exactly, but it could use some work.

The last two before that goofy last one were definitely the highlights to me. Graphite and Republic both felt very good to me and I could definitely see myself playing on them a lot in the future. Although on Graphite I did come around a corner one time and had Tashi, Snipe, and Agent all spawn directly in front of me in the open. I choked hard because I was surprised as hell but could have definitely gotten a triple kill if I was even slightly better. There were a few other line of sight spawn issues but overall I really liked both Graphite and Republic.

It was a fun night and thanks for having me! I'm not the greatest player but if you ever need any more help or insight or whatever feel free to ask. Have a good one.

I would agree on everything except Republic, I know it was probably just me but here are my problems with it:

Everytime I spawned I was away from my team and had no idea where to walk to be safe( could be because it was the first time playing it) And everyturn I made someone was already there where I spawned and could kill me easily.

Intercession =
Also many times people spawned behind me after I killed them in the one corner.

Elevated =
Won't say anything about it, don't like it at all, not one gametype for now.

Onyx = godtier

Forgotten = too big, DMR domination.

Crucifix =
Everyone just runs into the middle not sure what to say right now.

The one on Impact was of course bullshit.

Fuchsdh

I would agree on everything except Republic, I know it was probably just me but here are my problems with it:

Everytime I spawned I was away from my team and had no idea where to walk to be safe( could be because it was the first time playing it) And everyturn I made someone was already there where I spawned and could kill me easily.

Intercession =
Also many times people spawned behind me after I killed them in the one corner.

Elevated =
Won't say anything about it, don't like it at all, not one gametype for now.

Onyx = godtier

Forgotten = too big, DMR domination.

Crucifix =
Everyone just runs into the middle not sure what to say right now.

The one on Impact was of course bullshit.

I seem to be the exact opposite of everyone on Onyx. The more I play the less I like it. Get slammed from all sides.

I had the same initial reaction for Crucifix as you did but in MM I haven't been seeing the same 'moth to a flame' action. The only time I particularly see people trying to sit in it is when they've got a hammer. Either way if they're really trying to push in the easy solution is to flank them.

Top Bottom