• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

DeadNames

Banned
From the Games tab on the Xbox One. Possible E3 hints, new Halo game? (fuck yeah Crackdown, new Rare game too)

whOZKpD.jpg

H2A confirmed.

Booshka

$18 bucks brand new... Damn. Oh well, anyone who never picked it up at launch has no reason not to get it now, just in time for the weapon tuning update. I wonder how many wouldn't have left had the game we have now, launched November 6th.

I wonder if a beta would have helped that or harmed it even worse. I know if there was a Beta for Halo 4 I definitely would not have picked it up, wonder how many would have done the same.

On the other hand, if they would have had a really good beta, the MP on launch could have been closer to what they have been working toward recently, or even better if the backlash was huge.

Beta for Halo 5 please.

$18 bucks brand new... Damn. Oh well, anyone who never picked it up at launch has no reason not to get it now, just in time for the weapon tuning update. I wonder how many wouldn't have left had the game we have now, launched November 6th.

It would have been interesting.

Madness

I wonder if a beta would have helped that or harmed it even worse. I know if there was a Beta for Halo 4 I definitely would not have picked it up, wonder how many would have done the same.

On the other hand, if they would have had a really good beta, the MP on launch could have been closer to what they have been working toward recently, or even better if the backlash was huge.

Beta for Halo 5 please.

I think a beta would have helped honestly. Sure it would have turned off a few fans, but we could have at least gotten them to acknowledge just how bad personal ordnance or loadouts make the game play. We could have told them how poor the UI was, how we need the X's, how symmetrical gametypes don't work on asymmetrical maps. At the very least, they'd have been able to give us throwdown from the start, give us our X's, maybe tune the weapons earlier. Maybe if they knew early enough, they'd have been able to implement better custom settings such as toggle sprint on/off, remove flinch etc.

I also want a beta for Halo 5. Doesn't have to be much, maybe 1-3 maps, one small, one medium, one large, try out a few gametypes. It'll be a new engine, new cloud servers, they could really use the info they'd get from us testing it.

team slayer BRs on Onyx with throwdown settings oh my god. yes.

Yup, Onyx is one of the best maps made. So good, even better it's a Midship remake/inspiration etc.

Akai__

From the Games tab on the Xbox One. Possible E3 hints, new Halo game? (fuck yeah Crackdown, new Rare game too)

Maybe it's just the Halo TV series? Somehow, I don't expect a Halo game being release anytime soon, but I would welcome an other Halo ODST/Wars game.

Omni

Maybe it's just the Halo TV series? Somehow, I don't expect a Halo game being release anytime soon, but I would welcome an other Halo ODST/Wars game.

I'm sure that there will be something with the Nextbox's launch.

I'm playing through the campaign for the billionth time (which I must say again, the first half until the Didact is released is amazing) but I still can't comprehend what happened in the ending. Has anyone from 343i tried to explain what the hell happened with Cortana and the random fact that Chief survived a nuclear blast that wiped out a Forerunner vessel made out of hard light?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Truth be told, if the recovery time on the Sprint animation was MUCH faster, I'd have less of a problem with it. Same goes for weapon swapping.

We're Spartans, why do these things have to be so slow and clunky?

No im with you. Nade throwing speed especially gets on my nerves. Mobility issues arent limited to just ..well moving.

More often than not sprint is used as a get out of jail card, it turns what is a first person shooter, into a game of hide and seek or cat and mouse.

You highlighted the problem right there. With sprint you can bail quickly. Sprint causes people to foolishly run into battle and die, or to keep running away.

Now it wouldn't be so bad, but base movement is so slow in regards to sprint, that there is nothing you can do.

Case in point, Ragnarok. Guy foolishly rushes into middle of field, gets out played and instead of dying, bolts into a cave and just hides or runs behind cover.

In older Halo games, you couldn't do that. You had faster strafe speed and movement, so that if you were caught out in the open, you could evade shots if you were skilled enough. You didn't need to run away.

I can see your point but honestly it doesn't always play out the way you're saying. Sure people run away but they also run to wherever the fighting is. There's no doubt that the faceoff aspect of the game is slower but the time between encounters is reduced significantly. I like the mobility of sprint. I also dont mind that penalty is like basically 60 frames (i dont know the number im pulling it out of my ass) of recovery coming out of it. H4 doesnt feel slow because of the movement to me. The weapons are the main culprit imo.

Fuchsdh

Beta for Halo 5 please.

Depends what we're talking about. If we just said "what if there had been a beta in the spring"... the game would have been overall worse. Betas are time-sucking, resource draining monsters. Considering how hot the game came in, a beta would have only made the overall game worse even if people were happier with reduced Infinity settings and things like X's (assuming those could have been added in that timeframe.)

If 343i had an additional year of dev time, then yeah I think a beta would have been beneficial.

I'm playing through the campaign for the billionth time (which I must say again, the first half until the Didact is released is amazing) but I still can't comprehend what happened in the ending. Has anyone from 343i tried to explain what the hell happened with Cortana and the random fact that Chief survived a nuclear blast that wiped out a Forerunner vessel made out of hard light?

Well, Dani's original theory was that she transferred them to the Domain to avoid the blast, but that doesn't make sense with what we know from Silentium, which means the most obvious solution is the "she formed a hard light cocoon". Even that explanation I'd be okay with, except the cinematography and scripting for that entire final sequence (from Didact getting trapped by the go-go Cortanas to the slow fade to white on arming the bomb to the "always wanted to do that") was just poor. Even disregarding the QTE hate, the ending could have been much better with some better scripting.

Cortana separation or copy could have powered down or destroyed the hard light source(s) but kept a section or residual hard light bubble for John?

I remember in one of the books she reconfigured a Covie ships plasma into a slicing beam. She likes technology repurposing I suppose.

So

Ender is great
Confined is great
Onyx is great
Elevated is great

I can't find any immediate faults with any of them.

I'll write down something more substantial later maybe but I'm having fun in the playlist

Really pleased with these maps tashi. Having some good fun on them

IHaveIce

Banned
So

Ender is great
Confined is great
Onyx is great
Elevated is great

I can't find any immediate faults with any of them.

I'll write down something more substantial later maybe but I'm having fun in the playlist

Really pleased with these maps tashi. Having some good fun on them

Elevated has flaws, especially in CTF.

A good team can outplay the others tooooo easily.

One just has to stand at the balcony of the enemy's base and can watch and snipe their flag the whole time, the rest of the team just kill everyone and bam spawntrapped, no chance anyone can defend their flag now properly or score on their own.

The balconys are too powerful imo. Never played Confined in matchmaking for now, but I also really liked this one besides Onyx <3

Fuchsdh

Elevated has flaws, especially in CTF.

A good team can outplay the others tooooo easily.

One just has to stand at the balcony of the enemy's base and can watch and snipe their flag the whole time, the rest of the team just kill everyone and bam spawntrapped, no chance anyone can defend their flag now properly or score on their own.

The balconys are too powerful imo. Never played Confined in matchmaking for now, but I also really liked this one besides Onyx <3

Yeah the sniper issue is what I've noticed with Elevated too. At the very least snipers shouldn't spawn right at their most powerful position.

Nebula

Will anyone be running Halo 4 this weekend? I'm looking for BTB in particular, but I don't mind jumping into other playlists.

Computer

Once the TU hits, sprinting around is going to be very dangerous considering you can't defend yourself for a moment once you break out of it. In a 4 shot BR battle, you are going to be 2 down before you even get your first shot off. It really is like this already if you are fighting someone who is decent.

Not having sprint at this point would just feel weird.

I feel that the 4 shot BR will stop people from sprinting away one shot. I cant count the times I needed to land on more head shot and the player sprints off no where to be found.

As for the weapon tuning I think it would be awesome to make the pistol a 4 or 5 shot weapon with a very low amount of auto aim. Getting kills with the pistol is much more satisfying then BR DMR.

Fuchsdh

I feel that the 4 shot BR will stop people from sprinting away one shot. I cant count the times I needed to land on more head shot and the player sprints off no where to be found.

As for the weapon tuning I think it would be awesome to make the pistol a 4 or 5 shot weapon with a very low amount of auto aim. Getting kills with the pistol is much more satisfying then BR DMR.
Nothing is stopping you from using the pistol with lethality now. My base loadout for CQC is AR and pistol with dexterity. It's wicked fast weapon swapping.

So its all but impossible to get the the crimson and majestic achievements right?

Can we have a DLC only playlist

I got the "Kill someone with a Warthog while in mid-air" achievement just the other day. On complete accident. I was charging a guy to splatter him, he turned and threw a frag, and I went spiralling through the air like a bawsse. Splattered him and then blew up from a plasma. I'd love to make a video or gif or something, but apparently my name is against the Halo TOS (FRANKIE WHY IS THIS?) so I cannot upload anything to my file share or online or anything. :(

Anyway, it was the most glorious kill I've gotten in Halo 4 so far by far.

But yes I agree we need a DLC only playlist.

343 should fix the rates of new maps appearing on the vote section and get joined with people with DLC, making DLC playlist is a lazy excuse to fix it.

This is acceptable as well.

So its all but impossible to get the the crimson and majestic achievements right?

Can we have a DLC only playlist
I'm getting achievements in BTB without even trying, so it's not impossible.

An overall DLC playlist is smart, but it would have to be rotational to allow for the different player counts. I certainly don't want to see more than 8 people on Skyline (which is one of the reasons I won't touch Objective now).

TheOddOne

Settler is great, when you are not on the freaking other side that doesn't have the fast and direct climb to the top hill. FRANKIE, FIX THIS SHIT.

is there something wrong with H4 in-game fileshare? everything has a lock next to it and there's a message that says "Good to go." at the bottom.

Top Bottom