• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Ghazi

Thanks. It's sad to see Halo with such low population numbers.

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

Still early, but its gonna be disappointing if a new update doesn't bring SOME people back. Even though it is a monday.
I'm expecting a large-ish spike on Friday night, the fact that it's Monday is why I think it hasn't gained any new people yet.

Thanks. It's sad to see Halo with such low population numbers.

Ive said this so many times and some of you still refuse to believe it. The reason a lot people moved on the day BO2 came out was because that progression system they have is addictive. You can do all the weapon tunes you want, but most those people wont come back for good until Halo does it better and in 4, it doesn't. Sad but true.

I'll just take good gameplay. I don't need no stinking weapon unlocks and shit.

Then i hope you enjoy the population the way it is.

And besides, you can make a proper progression system better than it is now without doing exactly like COD, like for example by not giving so many fucking shoulder pads and such. And people are supposed to get excited about this? God damn. Id take a whole bunch of weapon skins at this point but so much fucking armor is ridiculous.

Especially considering the fact that most the armor changes are hardly even noticeable on other people when your IG, other than maybe the helmet. Absolutely useless to have so many.

The weapon tuning had literally nothing to do with why Halo 4 is sinking.

Here
-CoD has 60fps. Its smooth as hell.
-Halo is now focusing on everything wrong with first person shooters, vehicles, big large environments, yet there are games doing this better, Battlefield and CoD come to mind, Halo is an ARENA shooter, yet we got no small maps.
-Halo is about brilliant combat and outsmarting your opponent yet shield/health system has been downsized in important, sprint is default so you can escape bad choices, and there are way too many one hitters, so you have less brilliancy happening
-Halo has removed features per iteration while CoD is adding tons of new features and catering to the hardcore players who spread the word
-Marketing and communication is abysmall. Support from 343 is a fallacy, They ran those map packs out so fast because the core map release was lacking and the true lacking areas are still not addressed
-Playlist management again is terrible. Why do we not have a mercenaries playlist?
-Virgin Gaming has ruined competitive Halo so nobody is practicing, nobody is streaming Halo
-Halo has added too much garbage. Loadouts, AAs
-The game is very very glitchy. Sounds are messy, you can melee through cracks. They are using the same engine, how has this not been ironed out yet?
-No RANKING SYSTEM destroys motivation to play.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Ok I'm a 4 MP hater. Haven't played it in months, but I wanna get back in, especially if this new update has dropped. Is there a GAF group of Halo 4 players? I'm a good and friendly teammate (and a honorable foe :p)

Sly Fred on XBL

LD2k

Neo Member
Thank you for illustrating how shitty Plasma Pistols and grenades in loadouts are.
To be fair, I was grabbing them in Reach and Halo 3 when I could. No doubt Halo was funner when these were pick ups on a map and not accessible in a pre-existing loadout imo. Wouldn't argue you there.

So after finally investing myself into Mass Effect 3 MP, I feel like that would be a great way to hybridize Spartan Ops and Firefight.

Wave based survival with random objectives happening throughout the match. Have enough variety in the objectives so that you won't be seeing the same ones every game.

I like the revive mechanic for each round as well. If you die, and aren't revived by a teammate, you have to wait until the round is over. If everyone is dead at the same time, game over. Like ODST FF but with the ability to save a downed teammate.

DeadNames

Banned
I don't give a shit about ranks as long as the game is fun.

also,I don't see COD being popular because of fps... it's probs the easy gameplay, flashy unlocks, and rewards for everything you do.

-Halo is now focusing on everything wrong with first person shooters, vehicles, big large environments, yet there are games doing this better, Battlefield and CoD come to mind, Halo is an ARENA shooter, yet we got no small maps.

And plenty more maps in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach.

Funny you'd say it's trying to focus on these things when it's been doing them since the very beginning.

And plenty more maps in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach.

Funny you'd say it's trying to focus on these things when it's been doing them since the very beginning.

Good, but it had more small medium maps. The percentage has switched. I understand they HAD good big maps before. However thats the sweet spot. A few good big maps, then the rest small/medium. Team Slayer was the focus, it was Halos bread n butter, these large maps cant deal with Team Slayer, I believe you now have 6v6 Objective...What is Halo 4 doing???

EDIT: Wait that was HyperTrooper. Your names and slrp apologetic OK Good enough attitudes start to lump together in my head. My bad.

IHaveIce

Banned
The weapon tuning had literally nothing to do with why Halo 4 is sinking.

Here
-CoD has 60fps. Its smooth as hell.
True
There were always BTB maps, but yeah too few small maps
-Halo is about brilliant combat and outsmarting your opponent yet shield/health system has been downsized in important, sprint is default so you can escape bad choices, and there are way too many one hitters, so you have less brilliancy happening
agreed
-Halo has removed features per iteration while CoD is adding tons of new features and catering to the hardcore players who spread the word
Halo 3 added features these are still there only not very much improved
-Marketing and communication is abysmall. Support from 343 is a fallacy, They ran those map packs out so fast because the core map release was lacking and the true lacking areas are still not addressed
true
-Playlist management again is terrible. Why do we not have a mercenaries playlist?Other Lists had higher priority, yeah the handling isn't perfect but better than Reach's
-Virgin Gaming has ruined competitive Halo so nobody is practicing, nobody is streaming HaloBullshit, and if you really think that you have no clue what you are talking about, I can turn on twitch and see either someone from Ambush(Snipedown, Ola, Heinz and Formal) or Ninja, sometimes even more, all praciticing for AGL
-Halo has added too much garbage. Loadouts, AAs
agreed
-The game is very very glitchy. Sounds are messy, you can melee through cracks. They are using the same engine, how has this not been ironed out yet?Like any Halo title yeah.
-No RANKING SYSTEM destroys motivation to play.well there is one it just isn't in the game

And now the final question when did you play it seriously the last time? Throwdown or Slayer Pro matches? Did you try customs with GAF with the no sprint gametype?

Nobody meant it serious when he said this update will save Halo 4 from all sins, of course not. But right now they are doing the least they can do, catering to the people who still play the game.

No Halo 4 defense, everybody probably knows how much I trashtalk this game.

HTupolev

According to HaloCharts, so far today's population has not surpassed yesterday's.

So no.
That's not especially good analysis. Weekends (i.e. yesterday) are typically higher in population than Monday through Thursday. Friday and Sunday are typically the biggest days.

Here's a relevant statistic: the HC pop is already as high as for Monday of last week, and the population might increase for another 2-3 hours. I'd say we might be looking at a small spike due to the update.

And now the final question when did you play it seriously the last time? Throwdown or Slayer Pro matches? Did you try customs with GAF with the no sprint gametype?

Nobody meant it serious when he said this update will save Halo 4 from all sins, of course not. But right now they are doing the least they can do, catering to the people who still play the game.

No Halo 4 defense, everybody probably knows how much I trashtalk this game.

I play very little. Streaming is not as large as it was in previous Halos. I've even created a sort of thing to deal with streaming and promotion of the game but nothings ever going to come of anything at this rate. I've streamed Reach and had 20 viewers and been the third listed streamer in HALO 4. Thats embarrassing. Halo 4 is often not on the top listed games on Twitch which is unheard of in previous halos. Sure you can turn on and find someone streaming but its nowhere near what it should be. I do watch a lot of Halo 4 still. Last time I played I didnt have fun, just like the last three times I went back and gave the game a shot. Its just not fun.

The game has issues along with the last ones, but people are getting less and less accepting of these issues. Its 2013!

Halo 3 added features, Reach kept them, Halo 4 removed campaign scoring, campaign theater, and did not add back MP group theater that Reach took away. Halo 4 took away a ranking system that was added back but half-assed. Its unacceptable.

We just do not need accepting attitudes and people dealing with the less shitty option in Halo. We need to acknowledge that Halo is going in the wrong direction, the developers are making incorrect choices, and change is needed.

DeadNames

Banned
halos just not as relevant as it was. people don't wanna play a game that requires thinking and patience, they want the instant gratification of cod.

call in your chopper, pop an adderal, respawn.

IHaveIce

Banned
I play very little. Streaming is not as large as it was in previous Halos. I've even created a sort of thing to deal with streaming and promotion of the game but nothings ever going to come of anything at this rate. I've streamed Reach and had 20 viewers and been the third listed streamer in HALO 4. Thats embarrassing. Halo 4 is often not on the top listed games on Twitch which is unheard of in previous halos. Sure you can turn on and find someone streaming but its nowhere near what it should be. I do watch a lot of Halo 4 still. Last time I played I didnt have fun, just like the last three times I went back and gave the game a shot. Its just not fun.

The game has issues along with the last ones, but people are getting less and less accepting of these issues. Its 2013!

Halo 3 added features, Reach kept them, Halo 4 removed campaign scoring, campaign theater, and did not add back MP group theater that Reach took away. Halo 4 took away a ranking system that was added back but half-assed. Its unacceptable.

Well yeha the viewership decreased like the player population dropped and nobody can stop the beast called League of Legends.
Also the lack of more tourneys and MLG play a huge factor.

I agree though with the core of your complaints, just said nobody thought this update would make all good, it would just help the competive gametypes alot.

Yeah Theater even worse than the 2007 version is indeed unacceptable and one of the biggest letdowns of Halo 4 for me( no sarcasm, honest opinion)

halos just not as relevant as it was. people don't wanna play a game that requires thinking and patience, they want the instant gratification of cod.

I know it's fun to make fun of other games and all but you appear to have some sort of deep hatred toward Cod and its players.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't get it when people say that Halo's no longer popular. Didn't it sell millions? There were 400,000 players in matchmaking at launch.

Halo 4 gives that, however not as good as CoD does.

Call in your binary rifle, pop an adderal, respawn.

People want Halo to be Halo, thats why the game sold so well. Thats why it had so many people playing day 1. However when a better game that did everything Halo 4 was doing came out the numbers started to drop. Halo needs to be Halo again. Its still relevant, it still sells massive numbers.

Instant gratification is fun for 20 minutes but you cant have sex with your game forever eventually you want to have a conversation with it.

Juices has a deep hatred for Halo 4 and its accepting players too. What can you do but laugh?

I have a deep hatred for anything not reaching its potential and wallowing in mediocrity. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
movement speed is REALLY throwing me off, but other then that, digging the update.

saw is uber (too?) scary but still seems a bit inconsistent. sometimes i kill players ultra fast, other times i unload a ton of bullets before they go down and, like before, i'm left scratching my head on what the difference is (lag?)

movement speed is REALLY throwing me off, but other then that, digging the update.

saw is uber (too?) scary but still seems a bit inconsistent. sometimes i kill players ultra fast, other times i unload a ton of bullets before they go down and, like before, i'm left scratching my head on what the difference is (lag?)

I can relate to that feeling.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't get it when people say that Halo's no longer popular. Didn't it sell millions? There were 400,000 players in matchmaking at launch.

The numbers always fell off, but not like that :(

Also it is also wrong to say people aren't interested anymore in games where there are skillgaps and thinking required I mean look again, Dota 2 and LoL being the top games at Twitch

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I can relate to that feeling.

i seriously had a fire fight at the lower tailend ramp of haven where i couldnt aim at my enemy nor could i navigate the tiny jump to get out of that little sunken area. i feel like someone changed my stick sensitivity by some order of magnitude. hope to adjust soon, my brain plasticity isnt what it used to be. feeling old man.

Does movement feel worse because instead of the character having a more natural quickness, the animation is just a sped up version of 100%? Does the increase in speed create more inertia making strafe worse?

Top Bottom