• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Fuchsdh

Crrv4XSVYAElVoC.jpg

Crrv5UkVMAA6wQa.jpg

Via: https://mobile.twitter.com/ForgeHub/status/773195796200108032

Awww yeah. For a second I was fooled into thinking that stuff was prefab'd.

Fuchsdh

What is the actual key to toggle Spartan Mode? I'm squinting at the tiny type and it seems like it's the tilde key, and yet that's not working for me...

EDIT: Yep it's the tilde and it's not working for me. Crud.

So what's the dealio? The game was released earlier today, but has since been removed? I'm getting "Halo 5: Forge is not currently available." in the Windows Store.

Uiki

Mine said the same but it works fine.

Opps, My mistake. It works FANTASTICALLY!!!!

How did you download it? Through that direct link that's floating around? I wasn't able to download it through win store yesterday because of that dx 12 requirement.

So what's the dealio? The game was released earlier today, but has since been removed? I'm getting "Halo 5: Forge is not currently available." in the Windows Store.

It wasn't supposed to be released to the public today, it was just for a few people, but they probably messed something up. It gets released on the 8th for everyone.

NOKYARD

How did you download it? Through that direct link that's floating around? I wasn't able to download it through win store yesterday because of that dx 12 requirement.

They messed up and it was available to everyone for a while.

Then i received a code which i dropped in the ForgeHub chat.

legacyzero

Banned
So I cant start the download until I meet the system requirements??? WAT?

I'm 2 GB Short on ram because one of my sticks died LMAO

Uiki

They messed up and it was available to everyone for a while.

Then i received a code which i dropped in the ForgeHub chat.

I didn't have the button to install/download because of that dx 12 req :/

Guess i'll download it via direct link and try it that way when it becomes available again.

Clauss

I've been running customs with the folks in the /r/halo Discord all night. So much fun! It's really bringing me back to the countless hours of Halo 3 custom lobbies. Except, Forge has come a LONG way since Halo 3. Some of the shit we were playing was insane! Fucking pirate ship battles!? Musical chairs with giant cups!? So much fun. Can't wait for a proper server browser to make grouping up and finding what you want easier.

Yeah, this game is going to be fucking nuts when the server browser gets up and running. I can't wait to put together some gametypes and maps emulating the style of Halo CE and running some customs!

NOKYARD

Still trying to figure out how to take a screenshot. Win+G tosses a Grenade...

I think my SteelSeries keyboard disables the Win key while playing games.

JDB

Banned

Print screen works. Not super convenient if you want to make a bunch of screenshots though.

FyreWulff

Print Screen key, sometimes Alt + Print Screen. You have to paste it into an image editor though.

edit:

Steelseries has a 'hidden' gaming mode which you may have activated by accident. - If you hold the 'SteelSeries' button (Between context menu and altGR) you see what's called the 'Meta Layer' and only the Media keys and windows button is lit red. While holding the SS button, press the Windows button - this will toggle the gaming mode (which disables the Windows key to stop accidental alt-tabbing) Note: I've never seen a visual confirmation of whether this gaming mode is on - You just have to remember what's happened

I've been running customs with the folks in the /r/halo Discord all night. So much fun! It's really bringing me back to the countless hours of Halo 3 custom lobbies. Except, Forge has come a LONG way since Halo 3. Some of the shit we were playing was insane! Fucking pirate ship battles!? Musical chairs with giant cups!? So much fun. Can't wait for a proper server browser to make grouping up and finding what you want easier.

and so begins my slow descent into madness

why are 12 AM releases so difficult? Shit is literally the flip of a metaphorical switch. They should have just left it up on the store last nigh tbh.

NOKYARD

Print screen works. Not super convenient if you want to make a bunch of screenshots though.

Print Screen key, sometimes Alt + Print Screen. You have to paste it into an image editor though.

edit:
Yeah, i reset the keyboard's Win key back to default.

I am trying to take in-game screen shots for Forge map cover shots so PrtScn does not help. On the Xbox you press the Xbox button+Y, or go into Theater Mode.

Unyshek mentioned Screen functionality was working on the Xbox App
- Users can upload and share Halo 5: Forge screenshots via the Xbox app

I must be missing something really obvious.

belushy

Banned
Yeah, i reset the keyboard's Win key back to default.

I am trying to take in-game screen shots for Forge map cover shots so PrtScn does not help. On the Xbox you press the Xbox button+Y, or go into Theater Mode.

Unyshek mentioned Screen functionality was working on the Xbox App

I must be missing something really obvious.

Make sure gamedvr setting is on in the Xbox app

Cross posting from HaloGaf since I think it's more relevant to you guys:

Just realized something. PC Forge will enable nearly perfect to-scale remakes of maps. You could possibly even use a watermark software to render an old screenshot to be semi-transparent (could use paint.net for that) on top of your forging so that you could build on top of it to get the right angles and such. It would be like tracing an image essentially.

This might be extremely useful to you guys. I might even give it a shot. If watermark software isn't it, I think it's called a desktop logo overlay. Some people use them in Counter Strike or any game where they don't like the crosshair and use that to put their own crosshair in the game. You can use full size image of an older game.

belushy

Banned
wish I could help nok. I'm away from my computer but I don't think you're I the right settings area based on that pic. Xbox app is damn confusing

Karl2177

I'm probably going to wait to download the pc Forge version when my new computer parts come in next week. I do want to see what my maps look like in 4k though...

belushy

Banned
Like this?

XboxDVR
by NOKYARD, on Flickr

I think i will just wait until the Halo App is available. I planned to live stream preparing the Grifball prefabs and this is holding me up.

Okay Nok, no idea if you've already found a fix for your problems yet but I'm home so I'm using the Xbox app now :p

If you go to the gear button on the left side of the screen its take you to the settings, in there is a tab at the top that says "Game DVR" go there and make sure it is set to on. You can also change the keybinding for bring up the DVR menu if you so choose.

NOKYARD

Okay Nok, no idea if you've already found a fix for your problems yet but I'm home so I'm using the Xbox app now :p

If you go to the gear button on the left side of the screen its take you to the settings, in there is a tab at the top that says "Game DVR" go there and make sure it is set to on. You can also change the keybinding for bring up the DVR menu if you so choose.

Sorry, Game DVR will not work on this PC. To use it, you need to install the Media Feature Pack.
Which i have installed 5 times.

EDIT - Finally got screen shots working. Support site was directing me to an outdated version of the Media Pack.

I ran around Nok's Avalanche skeleton, it's looking really promising, better than any other Sidewinder/Avalanche remakes I've seen so far. Avalanche is my favorite BTB map in the series, so hopefully it comes out well! Then we can replace Antifreeze, hell unfinished Avalanche is even better than Antifreeze.

Pakesaker

I've downloaded the anniversary update, the Halo app, and Halo 5: Forge. However, whenever I try to launch them they open themselves in a new window for a few seconds and they are just gone. So basically they never successfully launch. Any ideas?

Karl2177

I've downloaded the anniversary update, the Halo app, and Halo 5: Forge. However, whenever I try to launch them they open themselves in a new window for a few seconds and they are just gone. So basically they never successfully launch. Any ideas?

If it's just Halo 5 Forge, mind posting your specs? If it's the Halo app also, try redownloading it.

Pakesaker

Yeah I've tried redownloading both and still having the same issue.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1
i7-6700k
Asus Strix GTX 1080
Corsair Platinum DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

I finally got it to work, it seems like it was popping up a permissions window in the xbox app but was disappearing before I was able to see it or interact with it.

Top Bottom