• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

No one ever expected it to be this hot. Microsoft must be excited and Sony is looking at their options lol.

I didn't either, I mean it's super pricey for what a lot of people will see as "a slightly different normal one". So I'm surprised it's doing so well. Unless initial stock was super super low.

Phil Spencer tweeted something along the lines of what you said yesterday.

I'm going to get an Elite controller as soon as they're available for the MSRP in the UK, by now I've accepted I'm not getting one before Christmas... They're going for over £180 on Amazon third party and eBay right now -- that's $270 FFS, I could almost get another xbox for that price!

E92 M3

I didn't either, I mean it's super pricey for what a lot of people will see as "a slightly different normal one". So I'm surprised it's doing so well. Unless initial stock was super super low.

Phil Spencer tweeted something along the lines of what you said yesterday.

It's the best controller I have ever used, so definitely worth the money. Regular controllers feel like toys compared to it.

Thinking of picking up a second one even.

BraXzy

YES! I ORDERED ONE! £106! Woooooooo!

It has started restocking here in the UK, but it is literally selling out within minutes each time.

b972c2b0a6e1ffa2879a60184a31f300.png

Look at the bottom one... 43 seconds to sell out. I think they're adding 20-50 at a time.

I'm going to get an Elite controller as soon as they're available for the MSRP in the UK, by now I've accepted I'm not getting one before Christmas... They're going for over £180 on Amazon third party and eBay right now -- that's $270 FFS, I could almost get another xbox for that price!

Keep an eye on Amazon. Argos and some other places restocked a single time at 6am and sold out god knows when but Amazon is doing frequent small restocks. I used this site: http://www.stockinformer.co.uk

YES! I ORDERED ONE! £106! Woooooooo!

It has started restocking here in the UK, but it is literally selling out within minutes each time.

b972c2b0a6e1ffa2879a60184a31f300.png

Look at the bottom one... 43 seconds to sell out. I think they're adding 20-50 at a time.

Keep an eye on Amazon. Argos and some other places restocked a single time at 6am and sold out god knows when but Amazon is doing frequent small restocks. I used this site: http://www.stockinformer.co.uk

Holy shit I got one too! Thanks for the heads up! :)

That would be cool. But If I don't here anything why the time forge launches, I'm just gonna assume we'll never get them before the population disappears.

my thoughts exactly. new gametypes should not be trickled out with the population already bleeding as it is.

it would absolutley shock me if they havent been working on them before launch. thatd be insane wouldnt it? we had these 3 gametypes in the BETA youd think they were like okay it might not be there and launch but lets get a framework for like ANY other gametype.

i mean 1 flag at LEAST has to be easy to implement

BraXzy

I'm almost 100% positive some if not all missing classic gametypes will return for custom games alongside Forge. Some stuff should have already been in, but things like Grifball and Races can't work without the ability to make maps for them.

I'm back on the wheel of the cycle where I'm wishing for some kind of direct comment. I know that they're coming back eventually, but hearing that directly stated in a community update would be wonderful :/

I use the elite controller but I'm a bit stumped with the hairline triggers too.

ALso it sucks that I cant use certain weapons that require them to be powered up like the plasma pistol etc.

Just opened my Warzone packs:

Well the first one is crap:

But the second one looks pretty decent:

Is the Heartseeker any good?

Don't under-estimate those bolt shots. Tried em for fun and was just given kills for free. The homing on them is ridiculous. I think open hand is silenced so you can stealth kill people if that's what your into. or maybe a nipple twist and andaconda squeeze seem to be more of your MO. ;)

jem0208

I don't usually discuss population numbers and sales etc. because I find them kinda boring but I thought this was a bit depressing.

H5 has less than 15'000 people playing it right now and likely has a 24 hour peak of less than 60'000. I know it's miles off peak times at the moment but still :/

Herbs

Banned
I don't usually discuss population numbers and sales etc. because I find them kinda boring but I thought this was a bit depressing.

H5 has less than 15'000 people playing it right now and likely has a 24 hour peak of less than 60'000. I know it's miles off peak times at the moment but still :/

Eh, we'll see how it shakes out. I'm not too worried. The core stays and that's fine

I got the Plasma Caster pack & SAW pack today, I seriously wonder if I'm like one of the only people who have the PC pack, that weapon is such garbage. Even the tier 2 & 3 versions in WZ don't feel like power weapons, lol.

I have it.

Immediate delete for refund every time I get one in a pack.

I'd take a standard Rail Gun over any of the PC variants.

There's just not enough areas for PC to shine really, compared to SAWs and Shotguns (base defense) and things like the Railgun, rockets, or snipers.

It's a fun weapon in Arena though.

Is there a Plasma Caster variant that isn't absolutely terrible?

In its current state, I'd agree with these entirely. In Arena I barely see people go for it when it spawns. It can be useful as a support weapons for your team if they know how to play around it etc. Really though, it's value is mostly in BTB and maybe Warzone in places where enemies are stupid enough to group up.

They could increase the value of all the variants pretty easily though — give the rounds an EMP charge and let it play somewhat of an anti-vehicle role similar to the Grenade Launcher in Reach.

If they have problems balancing that then maybe they could make only a charged shot have an EMP effect. So then you have:

Tier 1: regular burst fire plasma grenades. Charge shot has secondary splash grenades and EMP.
The tier 2 one can work as it does now, just give it the added EMP effect on It's double charge shots.
The tier 3 one can work as it does now but gains EMP on both regular and charged shots.

Halo don DAD

BraXzy

Eh, we'll see how it shakes out. I'm not too worried. The core stays and that's fine

Good to see another fellow H5 player has managed to snag an Elite :)

We will be kicking butt like Jasper from The Simpsons.
That's a Paddlin' joke.jpg.

Septic360

Banned
Don't under-estimate those bolt shots. Tried em for fun and was just given kills for free. The homing on them is ridiculous. I think open hand is silenced so you can stealth kill people if that's what your into. or maybe a nipple twist and andaconda squeeze seem to be more of your MO. ;)

Ah thanks for the heads up!

Anaconda squeeeze!

Welfare

Halo 4 never got this low until like a year after it's release.

Pretty pathetic.

Sustainment lol

I'm not saying that, definitely not in its prime anymore though.

Hopefully the population maintains enough to consistently get games.

Halo was effectively dethroned in 2007.

People don't understand it wont ever come back to its prime.

More IMPORTANTLY what people fail to understand is, that the fan base doesn't care about that, it cares about a good Halo game, and that's it.

H5 is certainly a good Halo game severely hampered by playlist management.

E92 M3

How do you know these numbers?

Madness

I'm not saying that, definitely not in its prime anymore though.

Hopefully the population maintains enough to consistently get games.

It's a bit worrying, even Gears Ultimate didn't last long in the top 10 and you'd think a solid remaster at a cheap price of an Xbox 360 staple would be better. I just think they lost a lot of gamer mindshare and marketshare. I have a lot of Xbox 360 Halo fans who are currently on a PS4 playing Black Ops. I imagine a lot more went in the same direction.

Though, numbers are always highest when US east coast school is out and its evening when people are home from work. Xbox One is pretty much dead outside UK in Europe no? I would imagine that's why a lot of the smaller countries having matching issues? 15k divided between campaign, warzone, arena doesn't seem too much. Even Battlefront numbers aren't that good. Most of the time, I see people just using their Xbox One for Netflix or television than actual gaming as well. I'm not too worried, get games easy enough. But expecting it to compete against multiplatforms is probably foolhardy now.

Yeah, it's hard to see something so well not do the best right out the gates. It's okay though, we all know in our hearts this Halo is really for us. And it really is only the beginning. The sustain model will go beyond this holiday madness. I assume they foreseen the competition this holiday and decided to have support through 2016 because of theis MP vision. Don't forget that they literally said they want Halo 5 to be the best Multiplayer experience out there and will do anything to achieve it. (Sprint Episode: Ship IT)

Don't be sad. It's only been One month. :) When it's June and the numbers are lower, then you have my permission to be sad. or you could just be really random and weird like me and say...

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

jem0208

Halo was effectively dethroned in 2007.

People don't understand it wont ever come back to its prime.

More IMPORTANTLY what people fail to understand is, that the fan base doesn't care about that, it cares about a good Halo game, and that's it.

Aye, 5 is a fantastic game. I'd say it's up there with the best of the series. And I'm really glad about that.

Would be nice if it were to have a massive population as well though.

How do you know these numbers?

http://swbstats.com/

5 is currently 2 spaces beneath Battlefront on the most played list.

Trup1aya

my thoughts exactly. new gametypes should not be trickled out with the population already bleeding as it is.

it would absolutley shock me if they havent been working on them before launch. thatd be insane wouldnt it? we had these 3 gametypes in the BETA youd think they were like okay it might not be there and launch but lets get a framework for like ANY other gametype.

i mean 1 flag at LEAST has to be easy to implement

I really wish I had some insight on what it would take to impliment these modes. With the existence of strongholds and the nuetral flag in breakout, it seems like the parameters for oddball, assault, and KotH already exist. VIP and Juggernaut are just slayer variants...

As such, I'm having a really hard time believing these modes were left out due purely to time constraints

Akai__

And missing gametypes.

I don't get why 343i decided to start from 0 with Halo 5. So many gametypes and modes that were built in the last 14 years and we get 3 real gametypes and 5 variations of these gametypes. Even stuff like UI is really bad compared to last Halo games.

It sucks, because H5 can actually be fun...

Also come on 343

Ram's post reminded me, Halo, really, really needs a mercenaries playlist, it's the one the thing this particular community has been asking for for as long as I can remember.

Throw it in as a weekend playlists if you must to gauge interest. pls

BraXzy

Next community update on Waypoint will be coming tomorrow right?

Last one was on the 25th and they are weekly. Unless Thanksgiving messes timing up slightly.

Trup1aya

Halo 4 never got this low until like a year after it's release.

Pretty pathetic.

Sustainment lol

Halo 4 had the benefit of releasing on a massively popular platform.

To your point though, it's hard to sustain something when your stick your initial playerbase with a limited map and gametype selections with no hints on when/if conditions will improve

Next community update on Waypoint will be coming tomorrow right?

Last one was on the 25th and they are weekly. Unless Thanksgiving messes timing up slightly.

They usually come on Friday. But last week was a short work week

schlew

I'm in this weird position where I'm left wondering if I'm just crazy when it comes to 5's quality, all because of the criticism leveled at it at every turn (and I recognize that much of it is valid).

I really only got into the series with the MCC, and it was all Destiny's doing. Do to a sale on PSN cards and a eagerness to buy into hype, I bought Destiny and fell in love. As such I wanted to play Bungie's previous work. Due to the known issues surrounding MCC's multiplayer, I focused primarily on the campaigns and loved them.

Anyways, here we are with Halo 5 and it's my first time really throwing down in the multiplayer. I'm having a blast, and it serves as a nice companion to Destiny. Super fun, and in general feels more "serious".

My confusion comes from all the talk of Halo's "glory days". I just wasn't there, so I feel like I missed out, and maybe lack the context to argue how great a game Guardians is.

It's honestly not much of a concern, just odd jumping into such a tumultuous time in Halo's "life". I'd love to have this context of what Halo "was" or "is", but I'm lacking the experience.

Regardless, I'm having fun, and wonder who else is enjoying Guardians as their first venture in the series' multiplayer.

Herbs

Banned
Good to see another fellow H5 player has managed to snag an Elite :)

We will be kicking butt like Jasper from The Simpsons.
That's a Paddlin' joke.jpg.

have to give it a shot. I'm older so my skills have degraded but I can still hold my own. Figured it may help me out in the long run.

Trup1aya

I'm in this weird position where I'm left wondering if I'm just crazy when it comes to 5's quality, all because of the criticism leveled at it at every turn (and I recognize that much of it is valid).

I really only got into the series with the MCC, and it was all Destiny's doing. Do to a sale on PSN cards and a eagerness to buy into hype, I bought Destiny and fell in love. As such I wanted to play Bungie's previous work. Due to the known issues surrounding MCC's multiplayer, I focused primarily on the campaigns and loved them.

Anyways, here we are with Halo 5 and it's my first time really throwing down in the multiplayer. I'm having a blast, and it serves as a nice companion to Destiny. Super fun, and in general feels more "serious".

My confusion comes from all the talk of Halo's "glory days". I just wasn't there, so I feel like I missed out, and maybe lack the context to argue how great a game Guardians is.

It's honestly not much of a concern, just odd jumping into such a tumultuous time in Halo's "life". I'd love to have this context of what Halo "was" or "is", but I'm lacking the experience.

Regardless, I'm having fun, and wonder who else is enjoying Guardians as their first venture in the series' multiplayer.

In the glory days, halo had a massive community. Kids would talk about crazy matches during school lunch. It was part of water cooler talks at work, and launches were huge events. It was an entertainment phenomenon.

The pre-pubescent rage videos on YouTube were a thing of beauty.

Now it's just a game. Fun, but no longer the talk of the town.

The games themselves were also overstuffed with content. You never got bored, because there were so many different maps, modes, and gametypes on day 1.

I don't expect to ever get to relive that exactly. But I do wish 343i would prioritize the day 1 experience more. First impressions mean everything, and they blew it 3 times in a row now when it comes to MP.

H4: no arena
MCC: didn't work
H5: only two classic gametypes

It make no sense that MS allows the franchise to be handled this way.

I'm glad you like H5. I do too... But I wish you could feel about it the way my friends and I felt went H2 launch. It wasn't a companion to any other game. It was the only game that mattered.

This is what you missed out on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGDeA4papLg

:)

BraXzy

have to give it a shot. I'm older so my skills have degraded but I can still hold my own. Figured it may help me out in the long run.

I hear nothing but amazing things about it, and I'd love to play Halo 5 without taking my thumbs off the sticks so I'm excited to try it out.

I think you've jumped in at the best possible time since the Halo 3 glory days. The Halo community has always excelled at being incredibly critical of the most recent game in the series and Halo 5 is no exception, but this is the first time since 3 that I'm genuinely excited by the core gameplay. The years in between we got games with massive feature sets but substandard gameplay (well, can't really speak about 4 since I skipped that completely).

Still though, the game needs more content and especially some of the missing classic game modes ASAP.

Also, this is another thing you missed: cone kills

I really wish I had some insight on what it would take to impliment these modes. With the existence of strongholds and the nuetral flag in breakout, it seems like the parameters for oddball, assault, and KotH already exist. VIP and Juggernaut are just slayer variants...

As such, I'm having a really hard time believing these modes were left out due purely to time constraints

right??? like the shit for it is right there.

i LOVE the idea of monthly updates that are big and memorable. But if it takes 6 months of updates just to get the game to be what we expected it to be at launch....the fuck is the point?

Glass

If we're talking numbers with Halo 5 being roughly 15,000 at the time of Jem's post, Battlefront only has 20k a few hours later (i.e more people will be on) with peak numbers seemingly the same for both games (60kish). So what we're saying is Halo 5 after the shit show that was a year of MCC is managing to go toe to toe with the juggernaut that is Star Wars Battlefront, a game released later, and weeks before a new Star Wars film.

Numbers wise, if 60k is low and disappointing, but multiple games are at that population, surely that says more about Xbox One's population then the games themselves right?

You only really missed stuff like this. Which was awesome. Damn Halo 2 community was great. Then lag switching fucking took place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K6mLRb5x_k

I remember doing the super jump in Ivory Tower. getting ontop of the base. SO FUN! haha

Then i also remember the hackers where they had auto-brs and made you spawn in mid air while they killed you instantly through the whole game....-_________-

I forgot grav lifts were even a thing outside of Breakout :L

Watching the vid i posted reminded me of some good fun throwing nades into lifts to see if they could explode wherever they landed.

i guess WE do have grav lifts in halo 5 (truth/regret)

EDIT: I aslo love that two of my favorite movies are represented here.

The Fifth element and Nacho Libre. It's good to be in the Halo Thread :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom