• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Man, breakout is so fun to watch. It really is like a sporting event.

I just saw Naded. His team's was down 4-2, then they won two straight to tie it up. His teammate miraculously survived a 3-1 to tie round 9. Then Naded's team won in the tenth. I was on the seat of my chair the whole time.

Ade

I just saw Naded. His team's was down 4-2, then they won two straight to tie it up. His teammate miraculously survived a 3-1 to tie round 9. Then Naded's team won in the tenth. I was on the seat of my chair the whole time.

Yet I've never had a match without at least one person quitting before its started...

Fuchsdh

Reminds me very much of some of the Gears 3 skin aesthetics (although they certainly went wild with a few). I think they should look towards that sort of style.

Maybe it's time to take another page out of Nintendo's book and produce amiibo figurines for people to unlock specific legendary stuff. Because.

Yep. The Steampunk weapon skins had the potential to be ridiculous but they looked awesome. Mark V and ODST armor was the cherry on top (I really liked the Prefect too.)

BraXzy

I love it. It gives me the same feels as Search and Destroy back when I played the hell out of MW2. Nothing better than being last man standing and getting a clutch. Much harder in Halo but it's all the more satisfying.

I totally get that the mode isn't for everyone, which is why I think it should stay in its own playlist but I personally think it's an awesome addition.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Go for it fellas.
eMLosoR.png

Strider

Breakout is boring to watch to me... I never find it intense because rounds are usually so quick.

Only round based game I'm ever going to enjoy watching is CS because there is so much strategy involved between purchaseables, positioning, grenade use, etc..... In breakout it's just people sprinting forward and engaging in a fight within seconds.

Maybe this will be different come HCS time when a lot of money is on the line and we get actual commentary... but just watching on streams its boring as hell and I instantly turn off any stream if they start playing breakout.

Strider

I'll buy an HCS pack to support the tournament tbh. I love this game and everything besides breakout to me is really enjoyable to watch. Goodies are a nice bonus.

Strider

Weren't all of the REQ packs supporting the HCS though?

Yea but I'm assuming a higher percentage of the money with this pack goes to the tournament where as other packs give a smaller percentage ? Idk I'd be nice to get details on exactly how the funds are being distributed.

Y'know, I was thinking about that but I think that would be one of those "game is better for it" exploits. Can you imagine the plays? Spawn with a Whiplash, Warden is 95% dead, get buddy to Warthog Ram you into the air, take the shot as you're sailing off the map for the win.
Reminds me of the launches you could do with the Hog and Wraith in Halo 2. Physics settings would be cool too (ie: CE Hog physics as a setting for Customs).

Trup1aya

Breakout is boring to watch to me... I never find it intense because rounds are usually so quick.

Only round based game I'm ever going to enjoy watching is CS because there is so much strategy involved between purchaseables, positioning, grenade use, etc..... In breakout it's just people sprinting forward and engaging in a fight within seconds.

Maybe this will be different come HCS time when a lot of money is on the line and we get actual commentary... but just watching on streams its boring as hell and I instantly turn off any stream if they start playing breakout.

I don't think the speed of the rounds have anything to do with the tension...

It's the value of each life, reduced health, the increased importance of landing the headshot, and the opportunity to swing odds at any moment.

Getting a triple kill in slayer is cool. But it doesn't compare to pulling it off in Breakout when you are the last man standing.

Nori Chan

So after you buy the HCS pack immediately, you get to buy it again for 5 rare or better armor pieces or skins

Also I spent money on my first req pack with the HCS pack lol

pieface

Haven't played halo in a while, so went in for some BTB.

First game, 3 of my team quit. We lost
Second game, 5 of my team quit. We lost
Third game, 2 of my team quit, we lost.

343. This is why I'm no longer playing Halo. You fucked it up. Back to fifa I go...

Strider

I don't think the speed of the rounds have anything to do with the tension...

It's the value of each life, reduced health, the increased importance of landing the headshot, and the opportunity to swing odds at any moment.

Getting a triple kill in slayer is cool. But it doesn't compare to pulling it off in Breakout when you are the last man standing.

Everything you said seemed to be focusing on playing but in talking about from a viewer perspective

And Yea bwhen your stuck watching one players perspective on a twitch stream while multiple people are dying on the other side of the map it's just ZzzzzZzZZZzzz

Then trying to watch in 3rd person if the steamer has died. Ew.

Like I said we'll see how I feel when HCS rolls around but for now I have no interest

Trup1aya

Haven't played halo in a while, so went in for some BTB.

First game, 3 of my team quit. We lost
Second game, 5 of my team quit. We lost
Third game, 2 of my team quit, we lost.

343. This is why I'm no longer playing Halo. You fucked it up. Back to fifa I go...

Glad I've never run into this mass quitters... The most players I've ever lost so far in BTB is 2... Which really doesn't become a burden (seems like it often makes things easier)

Trup1aya

Everything you said seemed to be focusing on playing but in talking about from a viewer perspective

And Yea bwhen your stuck watching one players perspective on a twitch stream while multiple people are dying on the other side of the map it's just ZzzzzZzZZZzzz

Then trying to watch in 3rd person if the steamer has died. Ew.

Like I said we'll see how I feel when HCS rolls around but for now I have no interest

Nope I'm talking about watching... I don't like playing the mode. My heart can't take it, haha at least not until I get better at the fundamentals. But it's thrilling to watch.

Of course it helps to watch a streamer who is good (doesn't die much) Makes a lot of call outs and commentates when he does die (which is what Naded was doing)

I'll admit, it's probably generally better to watch in spectate mode.

80k is a lot, better start grinding that WZ Assault...

In other news, I got my Elite controller today (thanks again BraXzy!). It's really, really cool. Aiming with the long stick feels incredibly smooth and I can finally ground pound with Recon.

Nope I'm talking about watching... I don't like playing the mode. My heart can't take it. But it's thrilling to watch.

Of course it helps to watch a streamer who is good (doesn't die much) Makes a lot of call outs and commentates when he does die (which is what Naded was doing)

I'll admit, it's probably generally better to watch in spectate mode.

Yup same here, it's too intense for my liking to play but makes for great viewing!

Glad I've never run into this mass quitters... The most players I've ever lost so far in BTB is 2... Which really doesn't become a burden (seems like it often makes things easier)

I find the higher my skill level goes the more this seems to happen... seriously you get down 5 kills to start and 1 guy quits and then someone else quits Cuz we are down a man and then you really have little to no chance...

There needs to be bigger punishment for quitters or betyer rewards for people that sont quit because clearly whatever they have now just isn't working.

Strider

Yea the chain quitting is ridiculous in this game. People really fail to realize that just because the enemy team got hold of the power weapons and jumped off to an early lead doesn't mean its over. Just slay them and grab them the next time and you're right back in the game.

I had a slayer match start 1-8 the other day and I was like "shit. My teams gonna quit aren't they..." And to my surprise they didn't because they usually do since I queue solo...

We won 50-29 and owned the map control and weapons the rest of the game.

you should never give up after a bad start because games are still very winnable.

Trup1aya

I find the higher my skill level goes the more this seems to happen... seriously you get down 5 kills to start and 1 guy quits and then someone else quits Cuz we are down a man and then you really have little to no chance...

There needs to be bigger punishment for quitters or betyer rewards for people that sont quit because clearly whatever they have now just isn't working.

Crazy, you would think that would happen less the higher up you go.

One of my first BTB matches we started out down 15 , no one quit, and after some tension towards the end, we ended up winning by 6. It was awesome.

There's so much that can happen in the course of a match, I don't understand why quitting has become such a problem. And at higher levels, you'd think people would understand that.

I also had a game of strongholds on guillotine. My team was destroying and took a 136-0 lead. No one on the other team quit. Suddenly, they capped everything and climbed up to 57 before we could finish it. We never got close to surrendering the lead, but hey, a few better placed shots, and they could have hung in there. My team had quite the scare, and I think everyone had fun.

Pitching HCS to attract new players is the silliest thing in the world. The majority of people don't care about about competitive gaming, Chasing that imaginary audience is a huge mistake.

I agree, but to 343i? Maybe that's what they are going to do. What else are they going to use to intice people who are on the fence to jump in? This HCS can be spun up like a lottery if they really tried. Corporations tend to like to check boxes, well maybe the project managers who have to report to their higher up of they will do.

I mean they tout it today about how much the prize pool is..... is it working to get more peopel to play or nah?

AlStrong

Yep. The Steampunk weapon skins had the potential to be ridiculous but they looked awesome. Mark V and ODST armor was the cherry on top (I really liked the Prefect too.)
:)

Actually... I'd be curious to know if they can change the material properties of the skins as well. e.g. something more plastic for Nerf toy look, or make parts of the gun look like they were fashioned from wood.

finally seen the hcs reqs. hmm mi might bite. :p it is payday after all. hehe

glad others advised the 2nd one u buy will not be the same skins but different unlockables already in the pool.. right?

might buy 2

Trup1aya

Pitching HCS to attract new players is the silliest thing in the world. The majority of people don't care about about competitive gaming, Chasing that imaginary audience is a huge mistake.

Competitive gaming has rapidly growing audience. There's nothing wrong with trying to get it on the growth. One of the reasons many people don't care about competitive gaming is because it has limited visibility. But that is changing and 343i is trying to help increase its visibility (and make some $ along the way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom