• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found the actual thing, it was a WETA statue from H3 from the looks of this. Edited to make a wallpaper I guess.

I love how the blood transitions into electricity. If they wanted to keep the gore / general FX alien but still visibly deadly, that'd be a great thing to add in future titles, even if it was just cutscenes or something. Zealots infiltrating human ships and ripping humans apart with incandescent swords that forcibly ripped viscera out of their victims only to cauterize and boil it into pure electricity at the peak of the swing's arc sounds like something from the Nylund books.

HTupolev

In most games, navigating the menu is the first thing that players do, and it's something they do very frequently. The comfort and intuitiveness of the menu is important for a fluid experience and establishing a good first impression.

When Halo 5's menu was designed, it was clearly taking the reception of Halo 4's menu into account. For example, displaying players in a game session as "baseball cards" was replaced with something visually closer to what Bungie's Halo games used, following poor reception of the former. However, I think that the Halo 5 menu could be smoother to navigate and more natural in its layout.

Three issues that stand out:
1-Efficient input use
2-Weird element placement
3-Unnecessary Redundancy

1-Efficient button use

Consider the following screenshot of Halo 5's campaign level select screen.

CoopCampaign_zpsk4omwpxz.png

The option to load a save is currently selected, and to the right is a sub-menu showing the current save slots (all currently empty, but whatever). How do we navigate over to the save slot sub-menu? Since it's lower in the heirarchy, it would make sense that the A button (select) would take us to it. However, since it's sitting to the right, it would also make sense that the right button on the D-pad would take us to it.

So what do we do? Here, Halo 5 chooses the first option: the A button is used to navigate to the submenu. Although this isn't terribly confusing (the bottom of the screen even includes notes describing how to navigate the menu), "why not both" applies. What if I take my right hand off the controller to take a drink, but I want to keep tabbing through stuff? Subtle touches like this, that make an interface "just work" no matter the circumstances, can be the difference between functional and great.

This is all partly puzzling because the Halo series used to experiment with stuff like this. For example, remember this from Halo 2?

Halo%202%20Calibrate_zpspayvop3w.png

A similar feature was first included in Halo 1, and it was used to help the player select between "normal" and "inverted" look. The game would ask you to look at each of the four points, then it would invert your view, and ask you to look at the four points again. At the end of this sequence, Halo 1 asked the player whether they wanted to go back to the first setting or use the new setting.

Halo 2 tried a "why not both" trick to massively streamline the process. The game would light up the top point and ask you to look at it. Regardless of whether you pressed up or down on the analog stick, your character would look up toward the point. The game was selecting "normal" or "inverted" based on how the player responded to the game's prompt, immediately giving the desired result regardless of your preference.

This approach wasn't used after Halo 3; perhaps it was too clever for its own good, making players who didn't understand what was happening think that the game was wasting their time for no reason (often frustrating even if it's actually cutting "filler" out). But such experimentation was a hallmark of the Halo series, and part of why it maintained a good reputation for having a generally slick interface and controls. (And, to be blunt, Halo used to allow directional and heirarchical navigation in cases where both were applicable).

2-Weird element placement

Sometimes things are categorized weirdly. Consider the custom game menu:

CustomGameMenu_zps1wfphcml.png

In the "my fireteam" list, my player tab on the right side of the screen shows up completely red here because I'm on red team. However, the "team" option on the left side is where I actually select which team I want to be on. It's odd that the selection for team, a per-player attribute, is placed in the area of the screen used for general game setup (map and gametype). This is a bit counterintuitive.

And, due to the team display in "my fireteam", it means that there are two outlets for the same data on the same screen when there could easily just be one. The whole thing just isn't as one-to-one as it seemingly ought to be.

Speaking of which...

3-Unnecessary Redundancy

Consider the start button menu.

StartButtonMenu_zps5wnkdvov.png

If we select "Spartan Appearance", we come to this menu:

CustomizationHigh_zpsjtenwzcp.png

Here, up and down allow is to select customization menus for armor, helmet, visor, or color. If we press "A" to select visor customization, we get this screen:

Customization2_zpsmea7e0fk.png

See those four circles that we can navigate with RB/LB? They're the exact same armor/helmet/visor/color options that existed one level up in the hierarchy. Since it's just an intermediate duplicate of information that exists above and below, why does the level above this one exist? This bottom level of the heirarchy could be tweaked to better-indicate what the LB/RB tabs are, and we could get rid of the above level altogether, producing a clean interface with less layering.

NOKYARD

Wow! That is exciting news! I hope this goes into ciculation on the OT.
I was just about to ask for your link so I could follow but I now notice it's staring me in the face. Looking forward to watching you as I get into Forge myself.
I thought it was time to emerge from the shadows (i usually forge in a dark quiet room), and stop treating my techniques like trade secrets.
How long do you think it's going to take people to adapt to the new control scheme?
It took me three days to get used to the new controls, and even after that i struggled a bit. The button guide would have helped but it was not up in our build. By the fourth day i was having difficulty navigating and forging in Halo 3.

Once you have it down it comes quite naturally. The team did a fantastic job with button layout and intuitive button combos which adapt to the feature you are using at the moment. For example the triggers have different functions for when you are navigating menus, selecting objects, moving objects, or rotating a group.

The most difficult buttons to get used to where A for camera down, and B for camera up. These used to be mapped to the bumpers which are now Select and Deselect. I DO NOT recommend re-mapping these buttons to the old functions as some new button combos will not work as intended.

Ocho

I joined the discord group but it seemed pretty inactive the few times I checked it (week or two ago). Maybe I was just looking at the wrong times. I'll try to post on there tonight during prime hours to get a group.

Hoping for that update.

We have a group or two literally every night. To be honest, we only have like 8-10 active members from the 100+ people that joined (we have trimmed some fat). I guess most didn't feel the need to group, or found a group somewhere else.

We are pretty active throughout the day, though, but we only play during the nights.

BraXzy

That Sage joke will now live through the ages.

I didn't get as much chance to play Arena Breakout as I would have liked.. I hope it comes back by being implemented as the Breakout option in Team Arena. Either way, lets hope it's sooner rather than later.

Raide

I cannot wait to Forge up some new ideas. Really looking forward to seeing how 343 keep it alive with updates.

Personally exited for more advanced lighting. I really think it will have a great impact on maps if used correctly. Cannot wait to see what lighting tricks can be worked with.

Just had an epic comeback on March on Stormbreak where I got 51 kills and then it fails to retrieve data and I didn't get REQ points, of all the games, so frustrating. I was also sitting at 4900 before the game too, so close to a silver pack.

You might know this already but you should get the REQ points in a couple of minutes anyway.

Yeah that's usually how it works, I just wanted to see stats though, I'll have to wait for Waypoint to update.

I actually never got the REQ points for this game, and it never showed up on Waypoint. Strange as that has never happened.

JackHerer

I still get a weird bug where in certain Warzone theater sessions my gamer tag is replaced with a randoms. Makes it a pain to find my actual POV. Sometimes the armor is correct, sometimes it isn't but the weapon skins seem to be consistent.

Once I find which gamertag is really me the film is mostly accurate.

I have some questions for 343 people:
  • Can you fix the spelling in the update post?
    JaDiFSs.png
  • Can I place lens flares individually or do they have to be linked to a light?
  • If point/spot lights can cast shadows - can lights have shadows toggled on or off? If they can be toggled on or off, do non-shadow casters "cost" less to use?
  • Can the the lights themselves be toggled on and off? Let's say I just want to place a lens flare but don't want to waste a light.
The new update looks great.

JackHerer

I'm actually going to go into Forge right away and create a simple map and experiment with aesthetic possibilities with lights, colors, effects, decals, etc.

Not really a Forger but I've always liked playing around with it and seeing other's creations.

Stackboy

Having huge problems connecting to arena games again. Much like when the game first came out. Reset my router, powercycled my console, unplugged my console.

I get the feeling it's because I live in Australia.

JackHerer

whats the point of making it social? is there something players were doing in its ranked form that ruined the experience?

Quitting. I can tell you playing at Diamond 2 against teams with champs on a regular basis was not fun either. Hopefully now that it's social there will be less groups of 8 trying to boost rank and JIP will help immensely with quitting which has ruined many games.

Akai__

Please don't take Moa as confirmation. He can't even win a Warzone match without cheating.

Besides that, there is a glitch that sometimes doesn't show the rank in a playlist and my BTB is still ranked.

JackHerer

Just saw a suggestion on reddit that the new mystery social playlist should be multi-team...

I'd be on board. Imagine the ground pound clips. Might not work that well with current gametypes though. Kinda need oddball and KoTH.

Probably would rather just have arena social though. Multi team would be a nice weekend playlist.

Leyasu

Banned
I was hoping that with the ranks removed they would let us choose where we matchmake. But seeing as it had been working so well lately, it shouldn't be a problem..

Can't wait for some new btb maps.

BraXzy

Just saw a suggestion on reddit that the new mystery social playlist should be multi-team...

It's half weird and half interesting that they've chosen to shroud it in secrecy. You'd think they'd just say "We'll also be adding a Social Slayer/Arena playlist". So maybe it will be something new/different to what we have now.

Welfare

What if the new playlist is Action Sack :eek:

Please don't take Moa as confirmation. He can't even win a Warzone match without cheating.

Besides that, there is a glitch that sometimes doesn't show the rank in a playlist and my BTB is still ranked.

Lol.

Strange glitch if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom