• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it is better than regular Breakout, I still am not a big fan of elimination game types at all.

it is, but it's still the complete opposite style of game to what I expect when I load up halo.

some seriously asinine decision making with regards to playlist management on the part of 343.

also, they've grown sadistic with their punishment of quitters.

Get arena breakout, quit, load team arena again - obviously get arena breakout again... Okay, I'll play nice - finish the game, get booted to menu during victory stance and banned without notice.

I refuse to feel guilty quitting modes that have no place in team arena, and to suffer such ridiculous treatment for it.

What am I supposed to do to have a full on anger/hate-free gaming session? Play slayer? NO THANK YOU.

I feel like us objective game mode folks are really getting the shaft with halo 5.

Especially frustrating because the game is so damn good - just fix the damn playlist management!

And I won't even start on how stupidly they handled the social playlist... (yeah people who don't want to focus on ranking just want to play silly snipers only game modes... riiiiight).

Caja 117

Playlist management does need some work on it, Halo 5 plays perfect in 4 v 4, its weird the social playlist was moved to 5 v 5, and why that playlist is temporal to begin with.

I've been playing Reach since it's available via BC..Man , it's still amazing. If ı would choose between 1080p 60 Fps Reach(Instead of 5) or Halo 5 , ı would definetely choose Reach over Halo 5..Halo 5 has some good things in it butit is too fast and chaotic compared to classic Halo games and Reach..

I think we will have a new Halo game in 2017 which probably will be a remaster.I hope it will be whether Halo 3 Annv. or Reach Remastered...

IMO make the rotation to lean more towards Objective gametypes, something like 15 % slayer, 40% CTF 35% Strongholds and 10% Breakout.

While I would no joke love that (though swap Slayer and Breakout's percentages), I'm mostly just trying to highlight how damn silly the original post sounds. It's something I've been trying. I hugely dislike Slayer, but I'm aware that my tastes are not the be-all, end-all, so quoting and replacing demonstrates how hyperbolic and, frankly, ridiculous the demand is.

I've been playing Reach since it's available via BC..Man , it's still amazing. If ı would choose between 1080p 60 Fps Reach(Instead of 5) or Halo 5 , ı would definetely choose Reach over Halo 5..Halo 5 has some good things in it butit is too fast and chaotic compared to classic Halo games and Reach..

I think we will have a new Halo game in 2017 which probably will be a remaster.I hope it will be whether Halo 3 Annv. or Reach Remastered...

We're thinking about the same Reach, right? The one with Armorlock and Jetpacks and Swordbase?

Honestly, I feel like a lot of the people who find Halo 5 too fast and chaotic would be fine with it if more of the maps were 15%-20% larger.

It just always feels like there's an enemy right on top of you, from behind, around the next corner. That's not really the Halo I fell in love with with H2, H3 and Reach. You could retreat, reacquire and re-engage after surviving/winning a battle against 1 or 2 players. In the maps in H5 (and the ridiculously bad spawns), 9 times out of 10, you survive a fight, try to find some cover, just to get picked off by an AR from some freshly spawned enemy.

Give me maps the size of Construct, or Sanctuary, hell, even Hang-em High.

Every map in Halo 5 feels like Beaver Creek in scale, only with shorter sight lines.

Caja 117

While I would no joke love that (though swap Slayer and Breakout's percentages), I'm mostly just trying to highlight how damn silly the original post sounds. It's something I've been trying. I hugely dislike Slayer, but I'm aware that my tastes are not the be-all, end-all, so quoting and replacing demonstrates how hyperbolic and, frankly, ridiculous the demand is.

I just feel breakout and Slayer have their own playlist so I want Arena to feel more varied in options.

Powerhouse was a legit map... one of the only ones.

Powerhouse problem was that big open green area close to a big door that was just unnecessary wasted space that people very rarely went over.

Leyasu

Banned
Specially brewed for those that dont know lag from latency.. Or don't believe that it exists.

1, watch the grenade delay, then count the shots

gOwhgOF.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Specially brewed for those that dont know lag from latency.. Or don't believe that it exists.

1, watch the grenade delay, then count the shots

gOwhgOF.gifv

Both exist. However they happen when network conditions are terribad, as opposed to ordinary Comwarner/router bad.

Also I would just like to say that Team Doubles with H5 movement promotes great teamwork and is a great way for singletons to learn how to cooperate.

Powerhouse problem was that big open green area close to a big door that was just unnecessary wasted space that people very rarely went over.

Those areas seldom serve NO purpose in any FPS - they can do everything from aesthetically frame a location, to provide emergency spawns, to panicky shield recharge spots and so on.

And in some ways they act like negative space in graphic design - positioning and framing the action. The fact that you find them useless kind of proves that at least they're not harming the main regions, and it's like proving a negative to try and say how the map would feel without them. (not just Halo).

Leyasu

Banned
Both exist. However they happen when network conditions are terribad, as opposed to ordinary Comwarner/router bad.

Also I would just like to say that Team Doubles with H5 movement promotes great teamwork and is a great way for singletons to learn how to cooperate.

I wasn't playing doubles. Plus, the euro servers must have been switched back on after that game.

Stinkles, whilst you are here, could you clarify for us what you guys meant when you said in the patch notes that you had "improved ping to the servers" ?

Thanks

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wasn't playing doubles. Plus, the euro servers must have been switched back on after that game.

Stinkles, whilst you are here, could you clarify for us what you guys meant when you said in the patch notes that you had "improved ping to the servers" ?

Thanks

Take with a pinch of nontechnical salt, but basically some improvements on our back end to do more accurate measurement and resolution based on ping, to pick more appropriate servers, or in regions with low low populations, to reach a bit further when they can't find adequate games.

Leyasu

Banned
Take with a pinch of nontechnical salt, but basically some improvements on our back end to do more accurate measurement and resolution based on ping, to pick more appropriate servers, or in regions with low low populations, to reach a bit further when they can't find adequate games.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation

Anyway, it is rare for me nowadays to get put on servers outside of europe. So something is working. But Frankie please, why not give us some sort of ping toggle/slider/limiter? Say, the minimum is 50ms, and we can adjust in increments of 10 upto say 125ms? This would be a game changer for alot of people..

Lastly, the aiming settings are great. Really nice.

Caja 117

Those areas seldom serve NO purpose in any FPS - they can do everything from aesthetically frame a location, to provide emergency spawns, to panicky shield recharge spots and so on.

And in some ways they act like negative space in graphic design - positioning and framing the action. The fact that you find them useless kind of proves that at least they're not harming the main regions, and it's like proving a negative to try and say how the map would feel without them. (not just Halo).

I understand what you are saying, I just felt that (just in the same case as boardwalk) map was just too big for a good 4 v 4, yet at the same time too small for 8 v 8, While PH had spawns at that area, and had its purpose, I would had wanted the map smaller to make it a flawless asym map, and that big space is the firts space that comes to mind that the map could had benefit without.

Now, this is from my perspective, and Im no expert in design, so I take your word for it.

I just realized, why the heck isn't it an option to activate Stabilizers just by holding Jump midair once you're scoped in? I can't imagine there are many contexts where you'd accidentally clamber over something while trying to hover provided you're already zoomed in - unless you were trying to fire on someone from behind a tall piece of cover, I guess.

EDIT: alternatively, it'd be interesting to try having it activate on your second crouch midair - while gandhi-hopping is popular in the community, nothing actually necessitates it, and it doesn't accomplish anything a standard crouch-jump wouldn't already.

Sordid

I get latency/delay a lot 'cos I keep getting shoved onto US servers when I play solo. Is there anything I can do on my end to stop this? Almost all of my 10 qualifying games for slayer this season have been on US servers. I've been lucky and a lot of the players were communicating but it's no fun being behind the action.

I'm in Aberdeenshire fwiw, good router/connection/pings to Azure North & West Europe servers.

Edit: Loving the new control options btw!

TCKaos

Hey Stinkles, you guys are working on that weird Forge spawn thing, right? I really want to finish up my map and I'm kinda' butthurt about not being able to. It was turning out pretty good, too.

I've coped by starting a Danger Canyon remake, which is probably a horrible mistake, but one I'm committing to.

Stinkles this is offtopic from Halo 5 but are you guys at 343 or someone on the Xbox 360 emulation team looking into the framerate issues Reach is having? I heard its really terrible at times I'm sure someone here can go into more detail.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
We have Forge now. Folks should now be able to tweak and edit maps and modes to perfection.

In fact, why not run HaloGAF Customs again? It's a saturday. Right then. Tonight.

Official Start time.

2am UK
9pm EST

F1j4d8P.png

Fee free to start warm ups beforehand. Smaller games until lobby fills out. Rotating player spaces if full, first come basis. At least 1 hour of games - no end time, just when everyone leaves. I might rotate the host for whatever reasons.

Map suggestions - reply in this thread with details

To join: my GT (Slightly Live) - send me a message for an invite

Recommendations, suggestions, et al welcome.

I'm a bit selfish because as a Community Cartographer I can use these Customs to find some quality HaloGAF maps and get them tested. @)

Got some work stuff come up so I won't be available. But that shouldn't stop the Customs. Someone self appoint themselves as host and continue onwards tonight.

E92 M3

EATING A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF CROW:

I finally found settings for controls I like and FFA with 6 people is a lot fun. I am certainly enjoying myself a lot more now. Maps aren't my favorite still, but Halo 5 is fun. I guess the controls made me a lot more bitter than I realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom