• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Ended our games tonight early due to not having a good night. But add TJ NutterB and TJ Ram, we can play tomorrow. :)

I added you guys, but not sure we will have the same schedule. We will see I guess.

m23

So spent a lot of time yesterday evening on the montage - cool little intro being made with some assistance from Fuchsdh (thanks in advance dude!)

I've had so many submissions, and wanted to be as inclusive as possible - to that end, ANYONE who submitted a clip will be in the montage - even if your clip wasn't that good. (Believe me, there were some duds!) ;)

But this is a community montage, not a pro player tage, and I have opted to reflect that in the editing.

However, due to the huge number of submissions, it's a LOT longer than previously thought. I've still got enough clips for 1 more song - so at this point, despite saying I wouldn't accept any more - I will - drop through your very best if you haven't yet submitted either via pm or email to halogafmontage@gmail.com and I'll make it happen.

Aiming to release later this week, time permitting.

:)

Sounds like it's going to be an epic montage.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Not sure if sarcasm post
(But if not)

With that said they dropped the ball, after reading that book they survive hell and back together, so to just start the game off on their mission together left me like "wtf?!?! I missed the reunion of how they got back together??" That bothered me a lot.

This happened in the comics.

That AI, in the begining of the game that mouthed off in defense of Cortana...felt like I was supposed to know who that was, probably someone from the comics? Probably made that comic reader be like "oh cool" but made me feel like "what did I miss??"

He was in Halo 4. Throughout if I remember correctly. He was also in Halo 4 Spartan ops.

Tow

Neo Member
Plasma Pistol has become my new best friend, i'm not new to the noob combo but it works so well in halo 5, especially when you play against people who never miss with the magnum across map or seem to have the lag advantage on you every single gun battle.

Oh and warzone assault, stops those ghosts so easily.

Plasma Pistol has become my new best friend, i'm not new to the noob combo but it works so well in halo 5, especially when you play against people who never miss with the magnum across map or seem to have the lag advantage on you every single gun battle.

Have you gotten to try Void's Tear?

Trup1aya

You know, for as useful as the PP is, I don't use or see it used much in warzone. That's gonna change when I get home.

BokehKing

Banned
This happened in the comics.

He was in Halo 4. Throughout if I remember correctly. He was also in Halo 4 Spartan ops.
I don't remember him in 4 oddly enough, I played through that campaign back on 360 and I guess he just didn't stand out a lot to me, when I went back through on MCC before 5 came out, I kind of just hit the major chapters again not a 100% replay, that's my bad then
Never played Spartan ops but I guess I can Youtube cutscenes

Also Halsey wise
when did Halsey lose a arm?

Montresor

I don't remember him in 4 oddly enough, I played through that campaign back on 360 and I guess he just didn't stand out a lot to me, when I went back through on MCC before 5 came out, I kind of just hit the major chapters again not a 100% replay, that's my bad then

I haven't played Spartan Ops either but I watched the cutscenes on MCC. They are awesome.

They basically give you a more in-depth look at Dr. Halsey, Captain Laskey, Commander Palmer, and a new team called Fireteam Majestic.

Majestic is not in any other Halo game (even Halo 5) as far as I know, but their journey in the Spartan Ops cutscenes is pretty cool.

I immediately recognized Roland in Halo 5 (the yellow AI defending Cortana) because of something very bad ass / cool that
Dr. Halsey
did related to Roland in Spartan Ops.

And there is this one incredible part early on in Spartan Ops where the leader of Fireteam Majestic tries to sweet-talk
Command Palmer without knowing her rank
and when he realizes his mistake, his face changes and he immediately treats her with the respect she deserves.

BokehKing

Banned
devilsadvocat, the AI that mouthed off in defense of Cortana is Roland. He's from Spartan Ops cutscenes which I believe came with Halo 4 on 360. They come with Halo 4 on MCC.

Personally I love Osiris + Blue Team.

General point: Osiris is not a bunch of nobodies: Buck is a main character from ODST. The others are new, sure, but I liked them either way. And with Blue Team, it was not difficult to glean that this was a tight-knit group that are like family to each other. I'm pretty sure Palmer or someone from Osiris even says this in a damn cutscene after the first Blue Team mission.

Personally it feels like people need everything spelled out. What's wrong with piecing together the mysteries yourself?
As far as Osiris I needed more moments like with Buck being like "you sure you want to do this?"

I mean hell, nothing against the actor who plays Locke or his voice actor

But I wouldn't be mad at a Buck as the main lead in another ODST type spin off or new entry altogether? Fillion is just that much more charismatic

Montresor

As far as Osiris I needed more moments like with Buck being like "you sure you want to do this?"

I mean hell, nothing against the actor who plays Locke or his voice actor

But I wouldn't be mad at a Buck as the main lead in another ODST type spin off or new entry altogether? Fillion is just that much more charismatic

Are you talking about the cutscene right after
Chief goes AWOL
, where Buck says
You know every soldier/marine/spartan will hate us right? And how do you expect us to bring them in? Ask politely?
. It's one of my favourite parts too.

Also Halsey wise

That's explained in the Spartan Ops cutscenes.

BokehKing

Banned
Osiris > Blue Team

I liked seeing Blue Team (and playing as Chief) obviously, but Osiris was a great addition to the franchise and carried the bulk of the game really well.
They carried it well, but I guess comparing it to reach and Odst which also introduced character so never touched before, it could have been handled better. I mean hell that Reach promo where I believe it was Halsey doing little backgrounds on each character gave more depth than what I got "in game"
I'm sure they are fleshed Out in books and tv shows of course. I tried to watch nightfall, but IMO,would have been better as an animated film, the live action on that level took me out of the 'verse altogether.

Halo live action needs to be big budget in order to get the whole scope and authenticity of it all

BokehKing

Banned
Are you talking about the cutscene right after
Chief goes AWOL
, where Buck says
You know every soldier/marine/spartan will hate us right? And how do you expect us to bring them in? Ask politely?
. It's one of my favourite parts too.
That's exactly what I was talking about, because Buck is looking at the ramifications and the big picture, if the mission is even achievable

Osiris was awesome. Really liked locke. Can't wait to see him in marvels Jessica Jones. I'm also looking forward to playing the campaign again on 4 player co op. Btb this week too. Great halo game

They've already started. I picked up on it. Halsey, Palmer,
that female Elite who actually gets more lines of dialogue than even Arbiter did this game, Exhuberant Witness is a female monitor, two members of Fireteam Osiris are women, and the villain Cortana is a woman
. If Palmer wasn't so hated and a bust in Halo 4, that's definitely what they were going for by making her the next main lead character, she's now Commander of all Spartan-IV's on Infinity.

I'm okay with it too. It'll stick around, I just don't want it in team Arena. The only objective Halo Playlist. I probably play more Breakout in team Arena than ctf or strongholds.

Actually, the original plan was to use Majestic. Palmer was (briefly) going to be a member of Osiris, but they ended up swapping her out for Tanaka.

Oh, and she was always the commander of the Infinity SIVs. Thus, "Commander Palmer."

Calm Killer

Also Halsey wise

Halo 4 Spartan Ops.

You know, for as useful as the PP is, I don't use or see it used much in warzone. That's gonna change when I get home.

PP's crazy usefulness has always been a secret in the casual community, believe it or not. Before I started frequently Halogaf and began to Git Gud (no, really, I used to be worse), I used the Plasma Pistol maybe a handful of times, and saw it used about as often. No surprise it's a rarity in Warzone.

Trup1aya

PP's crazy usefulness has always been a secret in the casual community, believe it or not. Before I started frequently Halogaf and began to Git Gud (no, really, I used to be worse), I used the Plasma Pistol maybe a handful of times, and saw it used about as often. No surprise it's a rarity in Warzone.

I guess that makes sense, but I should have known better...

I was too busy focusing on perfecting my pistol skills, and selling items so I can buy more req packs...

Also Halsey wise
Lol halo 4 Spartan ops.

Did you play the game blindfolded?

They carried it well, but I guess comparing it to reach and Odst which also introduced character so never touched before, it could have been handled better. I mean hell that Reach promo where I believe it was Halsey doing little backgrounds on each character gave more depth than what I got "in game"
I'm sure they are fleshed Out in books and tv shows of course. I tried to watch nightfall, but IMO,would have been better as an animated film, the live action on that level took me out of the 'verse altogether.

Halo live action needs to be big budget in order to get the whole scope and authenticity of it all

They all had their own "origin story" in the EU.

Locke was introduced in Nightfall.
Vale was introduced in Hunters in the Dark.
Tanaka was introduced in Escalation.
Buck was in ODST and New Blood.

There's a lot of setup and background for each member of Osiris. They felt plenty fleshed out to me by the time halo 5 launched.

So I was thinking about this earlier:

If 343 did give us a Warzone Firefight... How would people feel about having revive be a part of it? Would it be cool? Would it change the "feel" or formula too much?

How about also having it as a enabled setting in custom games and Forge? Would it mess with the stats too much?

when do 343 put the weekend playlist options up? I'm intrigued to see what they will offer

Would probably be better to have no vote this week and have BTB be the promoted / double XP playlist

BokehKing

Banned
Lol halo 4 Spartan ops.

Did you play the game blindfolded?
No, I just played 4 and immediately jumped into MP
I did not touch Spartan ops

Locke was introduced in Nightfall.
Vale was introduced in Hunters in the Dark.
Tanaka was introduced in Escalation.
Buck was in ODST and New Blood.

There's a lot of setup and background for each member of Osiris. They felt plenty fleshed out to me by the time halo 5 launched.
of course they seem set up to you, you probably read/watched all that

I (and I'm sure the majority) did not, we played ODST though

Taking that approach makes it feel like you have to be part of some special Patreon club just to get info. Sure I could wiki everyone you mentioned, but I much rather gotten flash back cinematics or just more in game dialouge . Making this their first mission together would have been a more natural introduction.

of course they seem set up to you, you probably read/watched all that

I (and I'm sure the majority) did not, we played ODST though

Taking that approach makes it feel like you have to be part of some special Patreon club just to get info. Sure I could wiki everyone you mentioned, but I much rather gotten flash back cinematics or just more in game dialouge . Making this their first mission together would have been a more natural introduction.
That's not how an expanded universe operates haha. Halo is more than just the games.

Ah okay. Well a lot of what happens at the beginning of Halo 5 is a direct continuation of story beats that occur in Spartan Ops and Escalation- Spartan Ops was a follow-up to Halo 4's supporting cast.

BokehKing

Banned
That's not how an expanded universe operates haha. Halo is more than just the games.
I don't think you understand how an EU is supposed to work
An EU is supposed to add stories with in the verse
Not become the main cannon (which is supposed to be the game)

Characters introduced in the main canon first, then fleshed out in books/comics

Not the other way around.

cant forget to match your dismissive "haha"

Now I think a perfect idea for SP dlc would be idk...something called "first missions"

Show blue team reuniting
Show Osiris first mission together, ect ect

Loomba

I don't think you understand how an EU is supposed to work
An EU is supposed to add stories with in the verse
Not become the main cannon (which is supposed to be the game)

Characters introduced in the main canon first, then fleshed out in books/comics

Not the other way around.

Yeah I played the first 2 missions before watching Spartan Ops/Nightfall/Fall of Reach and didn't know what was going on. Would have liked a "catch up" video at the very least.

Herbs

Banned
holy shit got my dmr cert and didn't even realize it until I got the loadout button in a game of Warzone. LOL. Boy does that gun kickass

i just think 343 needs to put a choke chain on the EU then
Let these things happen in game

Honestly, you're not missing much with Blue Team's reunion. There's no fanfare, no special moment. They just... hook back up and go on mission.

Which is weirdly appropriate, albeit a little unsatisfying.

BokehKing

Banned
Honestly, you're not missing much with Blue Team's reunion. There's no fanfare, no special moment. They just... hook back up and go on mission.

Which is weirdly appropriate, albeit a little unsatisfying.
Fred/Linda/Kelly seem to have more humanity than Chief

More of a personality too

John wants to find cartona alone, Fred is on some "F that they can't court marshal all of us, amirite " type attitude

The no fanfare I expect from Chief, not from the remaining 3

But whatever, I guess we are shackled by the EU

Fred/Linda/Kelly seem to have more humanity than Chief

More of a personality too

John wants to find cartona alone, Fred is on some "F that they can't court marshal all of us, amirite " type attitude

The no fanfare I expect from Chief, not from the remaining 3

But whatever, I guess we are shackled by the EU

They've got more humanity (at least, Kelly and Fred do, Linda is probably even colder), but that's not really saying much :p

None of them are what I'd call well adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom