• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't seen the Legendary ending yet :(

Its going to take me forever to do solo, is it worth it?

No spoilers, obviously :)

Wesley is right. It's cool, but unless I am missing something it's more of a teaser than anything. I suggest YouTube so you at least see it fresh before its spoiled. I don't get to play a ton so Legendary takes me forever as well. I wanted to see it before I read it if you know what I mean.

Fred/Linda/Kelly seem to have more humanity than Chief

More of a personality too

John wants to find cartona alone, Fred is on some "F that they can't court marshal all of us, amirite " type attitude

The no fanfare I expect from Chief, not from the remaining 3

But whatever, I guess we are shackled by the EU

I still dislike that they call him Chief though. I think it would be better to have them call him John, especially when they all call each other by first name. It sounds minor, but would have immediately been a signal to non-EU aware that the relationship they have with Chief isn't like him and other soldiers.

Haha, note to people doing Solo Legendary. Not only can you skip the final Warden fight but you can actually take your tank to the dual Warden fight as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OaDDgRnK4

I actually brought the tank and the ultra wraith to the 2 warden fight. It was super satisfying roasting them and their god damn adds after the hassle it took me when I first played on heroic. I felt no guilt at all.

ALSO , dont watch the last 'The Sprint: Ship It" Episode if you don't want the legenedary ending spoiled.

They give a disclaimer in the beginning, but sometimes your eyes wander and you didnt read it. heh

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the set-up to Halo 6, but I think Halo 5 suffered to get there. I think it would have been better for
Osiris to start the game, for there to be a mission with them perhaps in the middle, and then they could cap off the game rescuing Blue Team from the Cryptum. I don't think Chief would have felt forced if we played as him for the majority -- I feel like Osiris should have been ordered to go after Chief aggressively based on what ONI set up through HtT, and we should have played Osiris some to get that feeling of going after Chief, but Halo 5 should have been Chief's perspective on the Hunt the Truth situation. It could have been interesting if Osiris was kept out of the loop regarding Cortana as well, but as Chief we knew about her. Granted, Halo 6 may end up being the greatest Halo story told yet, but I wanted to play a great Halo story now and I'm not so sure I did (narratively anyway).

You know,
I think the only way Osiris' rescue of the chief and blue team at the end of the game makes sense, is by experiencing just how incredible a squad of Spartans they truly are, and most of the game reinforced their capability as a unit. It told us that when Cortana was ridiculing them all like she was, that she was severely underestimating just how formidable Osiris and Locke are.

Only a team of Spartans as great as Osiris is could have done what they did to save Chief and Blue Team against all those odds. The entire game was a build up towards that heroic rescue of Blue Team and Chief by Osiris. Instead of the greatest hunt or capture in Halo universe, we effectively have what is essentially one of the greatest successful rescue attempts ever. Very few events can be bigger than making sure humanity and the galaxy still have Master Chief and Blue Team on their side. Cortana almost took that away, and it would've doomed all of humanity, or the entire galaxy.

With respect to the EU Lore / Game balance I think that Halo really needs a Codex type thing like Mass Effect had - or like the Appendices in Shadow of Mordor which were done really well.

Sure it's additional art, and window dressing but I think it would add an extra level to the presentation and address a lot of the issues people have who don't read the books etc.

I think the issue with the games is that 343 are (quite clearly IMO) actually trying things out - which on the one hand I applaud as they are willing to take risks, but on the other can lead to some of the criticisms that both Halo 4 and Halo 5 have had.

I think that 343 have a much clearer and more cohesive vision of what they want to do with the multiplayer side of Halo now (especially after learning from Halo 4) than they do on the single player / campaign side, and that explains some of the narrative execution missteps / flaws that they have made on the campaign side. I guess some of that also has to do with having a new creative director coming in between the games.

IMO campaign wise, where 343 experimented a LOT in Halo 4 campaign and corrected a lot of those issues in Halo 5:-

Halo 4
- sacrificing the sandbox for graphical fidelity (corrected in Halo 5 IMO)
- Experimented with QTEs (thankfully corrected and absent in Halo 5)
- Backstory exposition using out of game devices (terminals / waypoint) (corrected in Halo 5)
- Infodump exposition using cutscenes vs in game (still persists in Halo 5 - e.g. Jul M'Dama RIP!)

Halo 5 has some newer Campaign 'experiments' that I think were a mixed bag
- Exposition and some backstory via squad 'chatter' this was hit and miss IMO, some of it seemed incongrouos, and was very easy to miss.
- Collectible Intel - I think this was a great concept, but they did not take it for enough or execute as well as they could have. Coupled with a 'Code' or 'Library' Idea, not all Intel needed to be collectible, and some of it could have been really useful backstory for squad members / Blue Team, Halsey etc. Some great logs tho.
- The 3 'missions' that weren't really missions. I feel that these were something that maybe had initially been designed a different way but were trimmed back somehow. They felt off as purely missions. However, Halo 4 did get a lot of criticism for 'press button' sequences, so this was at least an attempt to progress. I'd rather they would have been integrated into other missions and maybe had some kind of puzzle element rather than simply 'talk to Halsey'. But I did get a feel that a Halo RPG would be great, so maybe that's all that 343 were trying out...
- The Warden. A MUCH better attempt at a villain / boss encounter than the Didact, but still falling short IMO. The first Warden battle was great, but the latter 2 were lazy IMO.

I think the overall narrative flow in Halo 5 suffered due to the switch between squads. It felt to me like a big chunk of Blue Team's gameplay / story was cut out between Argent Moon and Meridian, and as much as I enjoyed the Osiris gameplay, I think the connection wasn't there and they were an obstacle IMO to playing as Blue Team.

Personally, I think that for Osiris to have resonated more, they needed their own Halo 4: Osiris in the vein of ODST, but as it happens 343s original plan was to use Majestic from Spartan Ops, but that plan obviously changed and morphed into a new team.

But that new team really needed their own game first IMO.

So for Halo 6 I'd like to see:-
- A campaign with a tighter narrative flow - better execution please, with more of it happening in game. Too many details of Halo 5 narrative execution made me scratch my head and wonder who made the call to decide certain things (obviously a lot of this is simply IMO). Why waste Jul in the first mission? Why build him up in Halo 4 and EU material simply to kill him unceremoniously in a cutscene? That really irked me, especially when there are the Sanghelios missions later? Why not have Jul central to that and have him have a confrontation with Arbiter? Huge dropped ball IMO.
- References back to previous games especially the immediate prior game, any mention of the Didact in Halo 5? The narrative execution in Halo 5 felt like it was trying to forget that Halo 4 happened. 343 maybe did that deliberately, but IMO that makes it feel less cohesive and professional.
- Tighter integration of the lore with some kind of codex / encyclopedia for each character / place encountered in the game. Expand the Collectible Intel into this area.
- Reduced focus on the Prometheans at least interms of their 'wave' appraoch. It does get old and needs to be mixed up. New/old enemies and more variety of encounters are needed in Halo 6 IMO.
- Variety of missions - not all squad, Halo CE was a 'lone wolf' game. I still want some of that feel, and Halo 6 is set up to provide that variety. Blue Team and Osiris could both get split up etc... give me some invention and really mix it up 343!!

What gives me a LOT of hope for Halo 6 is that 343 did correct/address a LOT between Halo 4 and Halo 5, but they still have plenty of room to improve on the campaign side at least.

What time of the day do we usually see updates roll out for Halo?

well, this would be the first one. so we dont know really.

some people were kicked to dash last night and got some kind of small update, bravo posted on reddit that it was indeed the update "knocking on their door" as the team prepares for stuff in the background, but that it wasnt the full update.

it would SEEM like that means that they are gearing up to release it hopefully sooner rather than later

Welfare

You know,
I think the only way Osiris' rescue of the chief and blue team at the end of the game makes sense, is by experiencing just how incredible a squad of Spartans they truly are, and most of the game reinforced their capability as a unit. It told us that when Cortana was ridiculing them all like she was, that she was severely underestimating just how formidable Osiris and Locke are.

Only a team of Spartans as great as Osiris is could have done what they did to save Chief and Blue Team against all those odds. The entire game was a build up towards that heroic rescue of Blue Team and Chief by Osiris. Instead of the greatest hunt or capture in Halo universe, we effectively have what is essentially one of the greatest successful rescue attempts ever. Very few events can be bigger than making sure humanity and the galaxy still have Master Chief and Blue Team on their side. Cortana almost took that away, and it would've doomed all of humanity, or the entire galaxy.

I don't know,
Majestic would've made more sense than Osiris. We already know that they were a pretty good team in Spartan Ops and knew more about them from Spartan Ops than almost anyone from Osiris, except for Buck.

Osiris does not feel that special because Majestic or shit, even Crimson team could've done what Osiris did.

Fuchsdh

Anyone grab all of the 117 intel? Any significant lore in them?

A lot of interesting (and hilarious) side stories, mostly, but there's a bunch on Genesis that deal with one (or possibly two) characters we've never heard from before, and might matter some point down the line.

I hope we get more intel in future games, especially if we stick to fewer locations. The audio diaries of BioShock are one of the things that contribute to the environments feeling like real places.

With respect to the EU Lore / Game balance I think that Halo really needs a Codex type thing like Mass Effect had - or like the Appendices in Shadow of Mordor which were done really well.

Sure it's additional art, and window dressing but I think it would add an extra level to the presentation and address a lot of the issues people have who don't read the books etc.

I think the issue with the games is that 343 are (quite clearly IMO) actually trying things out - which on the one hand I applaud as they are willing to take risks, but on the other can lead to some of the criticisms that both Halo 4 and Halo 5 have had.

I think that 343 have a much clearer and more cohesive vision of what they want to do with the multiplayer side of Halo now (especially after learning from Halo 4) than they do on the single player / campaign side, and that explains some of the narrative execution missteps / flaws that they have made on the campaign side. I guess some of that also has to do with having a new creative director coming in between the games.

IMO campaign wise, where 343 experimented a LOT in Halo 4 campaign and corrected a lot of those issues in Halo 5:-

Halo 4
- sacrificing the sandbox for graphical fidelity (corrected in Halo 5 IMO)
- Experimented with QTEs (thankfully corrected and absent in Halo 5)
- Backstory exposition using out of game devices (terminals / waypoint) (corrected in Halo 5)
- Infodump exposition using cutscenes vs in game (still persists in Halo 5 - e.g. Jul M'Dama RIP!)

Halo 5 has some newer Campaign 'experiments' that I think were a mixed bag
- Exposition and some backstory via squad 'chatter' this was hit and miss IMO, some of it seemed incongrouos, and was very easy to miss.
- Collectible Intel - I think this was a great concept, but they did not take it for enough or execute as well as they could have. Coupled with a 'Code' or 'Library' Idea, not all Intel needed to be collectible, and some of it could have been really useful backstory for squad members / Blue Team, Halsey etc. Some great logs tho.
- The 3 'missions' that weren't really missions. I feel that these were something that maybe had initially been designed a different way but were trimmed back somehow. They felt off as purely missions. However, Halo 4 did get a lot of criticism for 'press button' sequences, so this was at least an attempt to progress. I'd rather they would have been integrated into other missions and maybe had some kind of puzzle element rather than simply 'talk to Halsey'. But I did get a feel that a Halo RPG would be great, so maybe that's all that 343 were trying out...
- The Warden. A MUCH better attempt at a villain / boss encounter than the Didact, but still falling short IMO. The first Warden battle was great, but the latter 2 were lazy IMO.

I think the overall narrative flow in Halo 5 suffered due to the switch between squads. It felt to me like a big chunk of Blue Team's gameplay / story was cut out between Argent Moon and Meridian, and as much as I enjoyed the Osiris gameplay, I think the connection wasn't there and they were an obstacle IMO to playing as Blue Team.

Personally, I think that for Osiris to have resonated more, they needed their own Halo 4: Osiris in the vein of ODST, but as it happens 343s original plan was to use Majestic from Spartan Ops, but that plan obviously changed and morphed into a new team.

But that new team really needed their own game first IMO.

So for Halo 6 I'd like to see:-
- A campaign with a tighter narrative flow - better execution please, with more of it happening in game. Too many details of Halo 5 narrative execution made me scratch my head and wonder who made the call to decide certain things (obviously a lot of this is simply IMO). Why waste Jul in the first mission? Why build him up in Halo 4 and EU material simply to kill him unceremoniously in a cutscene? That really irked me, especially when there are the Sanghelios missions later? Why not have Jul central to that and have him have a confrontation with Arbiter? Huge dropped ball IMO.
- References back to previous games especially the immediate prior game, any mention of the Didact in Halo 5? The narrative execution in Halo 5 felt like it was trying to forget that Halo 4 happened. 343 maybe did that deliberately, but IMO that makes it feel less cohesive and professional.
- Tighter integration of the lore with some kind of codex / encyclopedia for each character / place encountered in the game. Expand the Collectible Intel into this area.
- Reduced focus on the Prometheans at least interms of their 'wave' appraoch. It does get old and needs to be mixed up. New/old enemies and more variety of encounters are needed in Halo 6 IMO.
- Variety of missions - not all squad, Halo CE was a 'lone wolf' game. I still want some of that feel, and Halo 6 is set up to provide that variety. Blue Team and Osiris could both get split up etc... give me some invention and really mix it up 343!!

What gives me a LOT of hope for Halo 6 is that 343 did correct/address a LOT between Halo 4 and Halo 5, but they still have plenty of room to improve on the campaign side at least.

Delicious post. Agree with everything.

Especially how certain parts of the game suffered because things were obviously cut. I did appreciate 343 getting away from contrived QTE boss battles, but they should've had the Warden morph more. He has the body for it. If you're going to give us the same boss 5 times, make sure there's variation to him.

jfoul

well, this would be the first one. so we dont know really.

some people were kicked to dash last night and got some kind of small update, bravo posted on reddit that it was indeed the update "knocking on their door" as the team prepares for stuff in the background, but that it wasnt the full update.

it would SEEM like that means that they are gearing up to release it hopefully sooner rather than later

Awesome, at least we know it's this week. I'm super excited to get into some BTB with some new maps. Next month will be Forge and more maps, making this game even better!

Such hype. Much excite.
xkFte58.gif

I'm almost done overusing this gif.

Ballistik

I was playing FFA and I saw in my kill feed that one player "betrayed" another player, kind of forgot about it after the match but I can't explain why that happened.

Another bug I noticed was when I fell off the map in FFA and the score on my bottom right dropped by one but the leaderboard in-game didn't. The game finished and I placed 2nd with 20 kills on the leaderboard yet it said 19 on the bottom right. I heard a guy on the mic who had 19 asking himself why it said he placed 2nd when there were two people on top of him.

I was playing FFA and I saw in my kill feed that one player "betrayed" another player, kind of forgot about it after the match but I can't explain why that happened.

Did you have a look at the replay? Could be something hilarious
most probably it's something really boring.

Ballistik

Did you have a look at the replay? Could be something hilarious
most probably it's something really boring.

It's in my recent games so I'm going to take a look at it tonight. As a matter of fact, I think both those bugs I mentioned happened in the same game.

Delicious post. Agree with everything.

Especially how certain parts of the game suffered because things were obviously cut. I did appreciate 343 getting away from contrived QTE boss battles, but they should've had the Warden morph more. He has the body for it. If you're going to give us the same boss 5 times, make sure there's variation to him.

Definitley, the Warden could have had different forms, rather than just dupes.

Akai__

Are europeans going to be ignored from 343i again with the BTB update today? Just like last weekend, when they dropped Team Doubles arround 12am CET, I mean. It's called weekend playlist for a reason. Why not go the path that Bungie went and release weekend playlists on Thursday, so every timezone has the chance to play for at least 3 days? Everything from these "low ping servers" and playlist updates are way more optimized for US people, than for anybody else. It's really annoying and sad to see that we get such a treatment.

Just yesterday, I had a horrible Warzone match where everyone was teleporting, until I was kicked mid game. I'm just waiting for the day when I get kicked from the server for no reason and am also banned for no reason. With these server connections it's inevitable. Why does this even happen? I really don't understand...

Herbs

Banned
Awesome, at least we know it's this week. I'm super excited to get into some BTB with some new maps. Next month will be Forge and more maps, making this game even better!

Such hype. Much excite.
xkFte58.gif

I'm almost done overusing this gif.

there's never overdone using that gif

BraXzy

Are europeans going to be ignored from 343i again with the BTB update today? Just like last weekend, when they dropped Team Doubles arround 12am CET, I mean. It's called weekend playlist for a reason. Why not go the path that Bungie went and release weekend playlists on Thursday, so every timezone has the chance to play for at least 3 days?

Not been paying attention today, is this confirmed?

Herbs

Banned
Is it a radical idea to just not allow people to quit? Like take the option out. Make them work for it by having them have to quit out to the dashboard if they really want it.

Is it a radical idea to just not allow people to quit? Like take the option out. Make them work for it by having them have to quit out to the dashboard if they really want it.

Sometimes people genuinely have to quit a game unexpectedly (for example if they are looking after a child) and forcing them to stay in the game as free kills for the opposing team is worse than having them quit, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

Edit: would be a good idea to not allow them to join another game until the one they quit from has finished though.

Herbs

Banned
Sometimes people genuinely have to quit a game unexpectedly (for example if they are looking after a child) and forcing them to stay in the game as free kills for the opposing team is worse than having them quit, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

Then they could just quit to the dashboard anyways

Pushing 3 buttons instead of 2. Pretty radical.

Except for that whole having to reload the game and stuff. Lol, just 3 buttons. That shit flew right over your head huh? It's okay thinking can be hard.

Kill3r7

That's literally 3 button presses. I'm not sure that is much of a deterrent. Ultimately there is nothing you can do about quitters outside of forcing them to wait an arbitrary time (30min) before being able to playing another match. I guess you can ban or place quitters in a separate matchmaking pool but that won't really solve the problem. The fact of the matter is that some people just love fucking with others online.

Herbs

Banned
That's literally 3 button presses. I'm not sure that is much of a deterrent. Ultimately there is nothing you can do about quitters outside of forcing them to wait an arbitrary time (30min) before being able to playing another match. I guess you can ban or place quitters in a separate matchmaking pool but that won't really solve the problem. The fact of the matter is that some people just love fucking with others online.

Except for reloading the game after having to quit it.

Halo: Mythos is releasing in 2016 :)

Then they could just quit to the dashboard anyways

Not everyone would think of that straight away, they would press start to try to find an option to quit the game and then give up.

Just make quitting stop you from joining matchmaking for some amount of time afterwards. Wouldn't make a difference for people who genuinely need to leave the game for a while but would seriously deter real quitters.

i'm sorry to those arena games where i quit or afk...

Sorry that i think my 1mth old, as she sleeps, lasts for atleast 30 minutes. Nope, gotta get up and either be AFK hoping i can put her back to sleep in a minute or quit... usually i come back and see the red bar of "Wake up John" ..

Im not doing it intentionally, life happens guys! SORRY!!! >=D

i'll tea bag you later, promise

i'm sorry to those arena games where i quit or afk...

Sorry that i think my 1mth old, as she sleeps, lasts for atleast 30 minutes. Nope, gotta get up and either be AFK hoping i can put her back to sleep in a minute or quit... usually i come back and see the red bar of "Wake up John" ..

Im not doing it intentionally, life happens guys! SORRY!!! >=D

i'll tea bag you later, promise
Life happens :)

Herbs

Banned
Not everyone would think of that straight away, they would press start to try to find an option to quit the game and then give up.

Just make quitting stop you from joining matchmaking for some amount of time afterwards. Wouldn't make a difference for people who genuinely need to leave the game for a while but would seriously deter real quitters.

and then they'd adjust. and you could do that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom