• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Of course the game I play bad is the game I rank up. I'll take it though, at least I'm finally making progress. Also fuck your Shoulder Charge.

Screenshot-Original.png

EgAsqZU.gif

Trup1aya

Lol I got paired with people going -10 6/10 games in SWAT and it put me Gold 2 :/

I guess 1,547 K/D ratio is the standard for Gold 2 in SWAT? What do Platinum do, +15 every single match?

f6bba93aebf75fa6a3b6f408cb8a9e33.png

Was aiming for all Diamond in this season but I guess I'll have to retry next month, ugh

Your win ratio doesn't really determine where you rank. It's the skill level of your opponents (which is initially determined by where you left off last season), and how you individually perform against them.

So your accuracy, damage dealt, etc plays a part in it.

Lol I got paired with people going -10 6/10 games in SWAT and it put me Gold 2 :/

I guess 1,547 K/D ratio is the standard for Gold 2 in SWAT? What do Platinum do, +15 every single match?

f6bba93aebf75fa6a3b6f408cb8a9e33.png

Was aiming for all Diamond in this season but I guess I'll have to retry next month, ugh

It's not absolute, the rankings are relative.

If anyone would like to play/help me get better i'd appreciate it! GT same as my user, just got an XB1 on Wednesday and trying to get used to this. Just getting slaughtered playing Slayer but getting better, can get a 1KD now finally! Only level 7 so wouldn't mind a few friends on XBL, I have one currently!

English by the way. :) for timezones/connection!

im_dany

Your win ratio doesn't really determine where you rank. It's the skill level of your opponents (which is initially determined by where you left off last season), and how you individually perform against them.

So your accuracy, damage dealt, etc plays a part in it.

Then how did I rank that low? I felt like I was playing good, I was always top2 in the team, one of the highest accuracy and dmg done, I was expecting something between Plat 2-5 because of the losses, but Gold is too low :/
It matched me with Golds during all 10 matches, sometimes even Silvers, how am I supposed to get ranked higher then?

I played about 4-5 warzone assault games this morning and all were nearly unplayable. People running around with their guns pointed straight in the air. Couldn't tell if I was reloading or not. Couldn't see what weapon I had out, but could guess from at least being able to see the reticule. Getting randomly melee'd and assassinated from people out of no where lol.

I was one win from Onyx and I lost the game 49-50. Then the game decides to go, I don't like you so fuck you.

ijHQOlx.png
Ugh that sucks. Win/loss record is a good measure of a team's skill level, but it's a horrible measure of an individual's skill level. People playing solo should never be gauged by wins and losses alone.

Trup1aya

Then how did I rank that low? I felt like I was playing good, I was always top2 in the team, one of the highest accuracy and dmg done, I was expecting something between Plat 2-5 because of the losses, but Gold is too low :/
It matched me with Golds during all 10 matches, sometimes even Silvers, how am I supposed to get ranked higher then?

Depending on your individual performance, the skill level of your opponents will get progressively higher during placements. So you might have been playing well against your comp, but accuracy, damage done didn't reflect how a plat or diamond would fair against those same opponents.

The best thing to do is grind during the season.

Koutsoubas

Is there any point playing with a Fireteam? If there is no squad-spawn whats the point of having a friend randomly spawn on the map and never get to be together side-by-side in order to come up with strategies?

Akai__

Is there any point playing with a Fireteam? If there is no squad-spawn whats the point of having a friend randomly spawn on the map and never get to be together side-by-side in order to come up with strategies?

The point being is that if you have a Fireteam you can actually communicate with your teammates. Playing with randoms and hoping that they will do callouts is not happening like 90% of the time. Not sure what squad spawn has to do with any of that. Competetive Halo was always about knowing the spawns and getting map control.

Ugh that sucks. Win/loss record is a good measure of a team's skill level, but it's a horrible measure of an individual's skill level. People playing solo should never be gauged by wins and losses alone.

What I don't understand. Placement matches aren't just determined by w/l they take other factors into consideration. Yet once you get ranked it's only w/l, why not just keep the same formula.

What I don't understand. Placement matches aren't just determined by w/l they take other factors into consideration. Yet once you get ranked it's only w/l, why not just keep the same formula.
yep i've wondered about the very same thing. I know it's not completely accurate to say this, but I feel like the placement system basically places you before you're ranked; I don't know how I feel about that. Why even have the placement games - it might as well just start you off where you left off the previous season... If it's going to reset every 4 weeks, it probably needs to start fresh and not worry about the previous season's ranking. Otherwise, the season's need to last a little bit longer. But ultimately, I'd prefer it take in more than wins and losses once a person is ranked.

Koutsoubas

The point being is that if you have a Fireteam you can actually communicate with your teammates. Playing with randoms and hoping that they will do callouts is not happening like 90% of the time. Not sure what squad spawn has to do with any of that. Competetive Halo was always about knowing the spawns and getting map control.

Im not into competitive, I just enjoy the online aspect. Dont get me wrong, teamwork on an objective-basis its nice but I enjoy more my time when im side-by-side with my squad and actually trasverse though the battlefield together!

Trup1aya

It's to get you playing with and against people of similar skill more quickly. After that, the system is interested in whether you have what it takes to beat similarly skilled opponents.

Ideally, after your placements everyone you meet in matchmaking is in your skill range. Essentially, Your matches from here out guage how well you play as part of a team, which is key in a team based game...

This allows the X-factor to be considered in your ranking. Maybe your playing CTF, and your individual stats look poor, but your team won because of your flag running (perhaps you did all the work, but died and your teammate capped it). Maybe your slayer performance doesn't looks so good on paper, but you did a great job blocking spawns or denying the enemy power weapons. That stuff doesn't show up in stat sheets, but will show up in where you end up after a seasons grind.

It's to get you playing with and against people of similar skill more quickly.

Ideally, after your placements everyone you meet in matchmaking is in your skill range. Essentially, Your matches from here out guage how well you play as part of a team, which is key in a team based game...

This allows the X-factor to be considered in your ranking. Maybe your playing CTF, and your individual stats look poor, but your team won because of your flag running. Maybe your slayer performance doesn't looks so good on paper, but you did a great job blocking spawns or denying the enemy power weapons. That stuff doesn't show up in stat sheets, but will show up in where you end up after a seasons grind.

In my view, it shouldn't be based solely on w/l. I'll use CSGO as an example, it's an extremely team based game yet it uses a hybrid system. Whether you rank up or down is still based on w/l, however they take other things into consideration. MVP medals, scoreboard placement, kills, and etc. So lets say you have a really good game, yet you still lose, you won't lose as many rank points. Same goes for the opposite, lets say you played extremely poorly yet your team still carries you and you win. You'll gain points but not that many.

I have no problems with w/l being the deciding factor, however I believe other factors should also be taken into consideration.

I think the season needs to be longer if nothing else. What's the point of starting out at gold 1, working my way up to platinum and then having to start a new season if it's just going to look at where i started the previous season and stick me back in gold? Seems wonky to me. I'm sure I'm missing small details on how it all works, but from my point of view it seems bad.

Haruko

I played about 4-5 warzone assault games this morning and all were nearly unplayable. People running around with their guns pointed straight in the air. Couldn't tell if I was reloading or not. Couldn't see what weapon I had out, but could guess from at least being able to see the reticule. Getting randomly melee'd and assassinated from people out of no where lol.

If this is the bug that also includes deformed vehicles, I think it's only fixed by quitting the build. Seems to persist otherwise

If this is the bug that also includes deformed vehicles, I think it's only fixed by quitting the build. Seems to persist otherwise
By deformed do you mean that the vehicles were driving around on their sides? That's what I was seeing. Everything was messed up visually. How do you quit the build? Close out of Halo 5 and then restart?

BraXzy

I was one win from Onyx and I lost the game 49-50. Then the game decides to go, I don't like you so fuck you.

ijHQOlx.png

Damn that sucks. Last season a similar thing happened to me, I was Diamond 6, I checked on Halo Tracker how close I was to ranking up since I'd won a bunch I'm a row...

It turns out I was 98% of the way there.. I'm afraid to say the next game I choked and I went all the way down to Diamond 4 at one point :(

Lesson learned: never check how close you.

Damn that sucks. Last season a similar thing happened to me, I was Diamond 6, I checked on Halo Tracker how close I was to ranking up since I'd won a bunch I'm a row...

It turns out I was 98% of the way there.. I'm afraid to say the next game I choked and I went all the way down to Diamond 4 at one point t :(

Yeah, I went all the way back to Diamond four too lol. However, I played a few more and I'm at Diamond five again. So hopefully next time I can finish what I started!

Haruko

By deformed do you mean that the vehicles were driving around on their sides? That's what I seeing. Everything was messed up visually. How do you quit the build? Close out of Halo 5 and then restart?

Yes, and yes.

Go to dashboard, highlight H5, hit Menu button, and Quit. Relaunch and the bug should be gone.

It's rare to encounter, but if you DO get it you have to Quit the build to remove it.

Strider

I turned on Lethuls stream last night for a couple games and what CLG was doing to RNG was disrespectful lol Games weren't even close.

Sparty deserves better :( Victory and Ninja have suuuucked recently.

Yes, and yes.

Go to dashboard, highlight H5, hit Menu button, and Quit. Relaunch and the bug should be gone.

It's rare to encounter, but if you DO get it you have to Quit the build to remove it.
Thanks! That's good to know. I foolishly assumed it was something on the server side and kept starting new games. Lost 5 games in a row and played horribly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I turned on Lethuls stream last night for a couple games and what CLG was doing to RNG was disrespectful lol Games weren't even close.

Sparty deserves better :( Victory and Ninja have suuuucked recently.

none of them are consistent. :(

Because he ditched optic gaming right before x-games. I know players move around to different teams all the time, but it was kind of a dick move on his part to do it right before a tournament. Being completely new to following the pro-scene, i've developed a liking to flamesword. His personality is so even-keel and I love his awareness when he plays. He basically knows what is going on at all times. It's impressive to watch.

Trup1aya

In my view, it shouldn't be based solely on w/l. I'll use CSGO as an example, it's an extremely team based game yet it uses a hybrid system. Whether you rank up or down is still based on w/l, however they take other things into consideration. MVP medals, scoreboard placement, kills, and etc. So lets say you have a really good game, yet you still lose, you won't lose as many rank points. Same goes for the opposite, lets say you played extremely poorly yet your team still carries you and you win. You'll gain points but not that many.

I have no problems with w/l being the deciding factor, however I believe other factors should also be taken into consideration.

I can't argue against that. As long as WL is the main factor I think this system will be accurate...

either way though, this system will gain accuracy over time.

Looking at the CSR distribution for last season the bell curve looks pretty good for every playlist except Swat, so I'd say it's working mostly as intended.

Like last season, the number of people stuck in Lvl 1 of there division looks hire than ideal. But that's a symptom of the inability to rank down.

Glass

Because he ditched optic gaming right before x-games. I know players move around to different teams all the time, but it was kind of a dick move on his part to do it right before a tournament. Being completely new to following the pro-scene, i've developed a liking to flamesword. His personality is so even-keel and I love his awareness when he plays. He basically knows what is going on at all times. It's impressive to watch.

Blame Lethul!
/s

Reached Onyx in Team Slayer, but I don't feel like I deserved it. :(
Own it! I feel like i should be high platinum or low diamond, but right now I'm gold 3 lol... scrub status confirmed :D

Are you streaming today? I'll turn it on at work if you are.

EDIT:
Blame Lethul!
/s
I guess he was the first to switch teams. Was it also right before the tournament? Seems fitting that EG won in the end and beat the team Lethul switched to, and that Allegiance beat RNG to take 3rd - leaving Stellur out of any prize money. Maybe i'm the jerk lol.

Trup1aya

Team Epsilon just got SMACKED by team Infused...
Epsilon dropped RNG at XGames, and were viewed as the best UK team. I must say what I saw from infused, it looks like they could run with the big dogs...

Top Bottom