• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Caja 117

So then what's even the point of resetting ranks monthly if you're most likely going to end up almost exactly where you were before the rank change? And allowing you to drop between 1-6 of a rank, but not dropping more than one level total. How much difference is there really in skill between a Platinum 6 and Diamond 1, but imagine the types of games the diamond 1 will get compared to Platinum 6.

The two reasons are suppossed to come from bungie days in Reach, first with reseting rank in theory you make players comeback to the game to get ranked again, before someone could get a 50 and never play again.

It also completly eliminated a market of players selling account ranked 50, players made money By selling gamertags sometimes even scaming players over it.

Strider

I'd probably feel the same about Snowbound as I do about Deadlock...

Sucks with BR starts but would be fun with pistol starts.

NOKYARD

I agree. Most of the Cartographer's BTB tests are run with Pistol starts and we promote the idea when ever we can. (and no, i don't have a google alert set for 'Deadlock')

Strider

I agree. Most of the Cartographer's BTB tests are run with Pistol starts and we promote the idea when ever we can. (and no, i don't have a google alert set for 'Deadlock')

goodjob.gif
That's good to hear.

Who knows if they'll ever change it but I loooove the look of Deadlock especially the updated version you worked on... I'd love to run it with pistol starts once it gets added in. For now I feel super restricted when it comes to moving around the map though.

Oh? That's interesting. How do the BTB maps play with Pistol starts? I've been curious of this myself and would like for 343 to try it out in matchmaking.

Thats false.

Is it? I'm certain that in 4v4 playlists in Halo 3 teams of four would only play other teams of four with the very occasional exception of a to4 being pitted against a team of three and one random. If you go and play Halo 3 MLG or Team Slayer now this is still the case to this day, I believe. If you have evidence to the contrary I'd be interested to see it.

And teams stomping randoms in social has happened in Halo MM since time immemorial but it does seem to happen in Halo 5 a little more frequently, speaking anecdotally of course. The higher the player count the more pronounced the issue becomes which is why Warzone could do with a tightening on pre made party matching, say, if in a team of five or more the other team has to have a similar pre made party number with randoms filling in the gaps.

America is a supremely dangerous place for young kids to play with realistic guns, unfortunately. Cosplayers will customize.

I believe it's for safety reasons - they can't release it to toy stores looking like a real gun.

I figured so long as you had that orange muzzle you can get away with pretty much any color in the US (so long its not black or grey)? guess I wanted something that just wasn't soo hideously vibrant, don't think even Nerf guns get that bright in colors other then orange.

Well hopefully cosplayers can get a service going where we can have these looking like their real deal counterparts, I'd gladly pay someone to strip and sandblast that AR and have it looking like the real deal.

How big are these again? 1:1 / actual size or less?

Trup1aya

So then what's even the point of resetting ranks monthly if you're most likely going to end up almost exactly where you were before the rank change? And allowing you to drop between 1-6 of a rank, but not dropping more than one level total. How much difference is there really in skill between a Platinum 6 and Diamond 1, but imagine the types of games the diamond 1 will get compared to Platinum 6.

From where I sit, the main benefits are that it 1) reduces the amount of time it takes to reliably find similar skilled teammates and opponents. 2) it discourages boosting and deranking. 3) mitigates issues where people skill levels fluctuate due to sporadic playtime

In the previous system, no matter how good a player was, they'd have to grind from level one. That meant the lower levels were a really a stomping ground for people of all skill levels (especially since it was possible to derank a main account), providing a crappy experience for people who were trying to learn the game. This system allows people to skip directly to where they belong after 10 games.

Boosting and deranking are discouraged as there is little incentive. Your visible rank will never drop below lvl 1 of your division, and it will be reset at the beginning of the month. No more false badges of honor, much less smurf donging (although free alt accounts has provided a work around for assholes).

For people like me who's skill fluctuates, resetting provides and opportunity to recalibrate my MMR. I started out a gold 1 in preseason, and grinded to diamond (solo) in all subsequent seasons. After my placement matches I always end up back in platinum, because my skills regress. Back in the day, if I came back from a hiatus, I'd have to do go on massive losing streaks before I'd find myself in satisfyingly competitive matches again. Now it's just 10 games that adjust my level of competition based on my performance in the previous match. Usually by placement match #10 I'm playing against the right people.

Snowbound was ok but the shields ruined it, oddball carrier could just sit on one side and bash anyone through the shield.

Annoying when you have someone one shot and they escape

MaGlock

Snowbound was ok but the shields ruined it, oddball carrier could just sit on one side and bash anyone through the shield.

Annoying when you have someone one shot and they escape

Boundless was pretty decent.it's the only map I ever got a perfection on so it holds a special place in my heart

NOKYARD

Oh? That's interesting. How do the BTB maps play with Pistol starts? I've been curious of this myself and would like for 343 to try it out in matchmaking.

Players actually piled into Warthogs and stayed in them for more than 6 seconds. I even saw 2 players in a Rocket Goose combo. It was glorious.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Holy shit, just played on my nephews x1 and his controllers are FUCKED. Massive stick drift which mostly went away with inner deadzones 12% (lol), but even worse was the left stick turning right was literally 25% the speed of turning left regardless of outer deadzone. Shit was next to unplayable.

Still placed plat though, wtf.

Madness

I've been playing some of the worst input lag warzone matches recently. Everything is off. From grenade firing and explosions, gun reticle aiming and actual hits to even ridiculous lag selecting weapons. What the hell is up with the servers. Half the time I have to wait so long for REQ's to finish loading too just to select boosts.

Trup1aya

It's so frustrating that a large part of the Halo population swears by BR starts. I feel like they are in BTB just to throw those guys a bone. If only Bungie didn't whiff on starting weapons in H2 and shift to BR out of necessity...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
How long did it it take for you guys to finish off Silver? Seems like it's going to take forever. ;__;

I did a sr 78 or so. Wasted some RP when the game first came out on silvers and golds though.

Construct has control points. Snowbound just has hallways that people camped with shotgun.

Uhhh, if camping constructs lifts with sword or maulers is considered control, then so are shield doors. At least snowbound had other aspects to the combat and flow. Construct is garbage.

clav

Why do people play without mics?

I used to be silent, but I find having information about player locations is more crucial than skill since the maps aren't really designed the same way as the previous Halos.

blamite

Does anyone know if the daily Warzone win pack gives better reards if you get it in normal Warzone as opposd to WZ Assault? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I got a Prophet's Bane, one of the legendary Binary Rifles, and one of the legendary laser early on when I was only playing standard Warzone, but since I switched to Assault I don't think I've gotten any weapons at all.

I used to be silent, but I find having information about player locations is more crucial than skill since the maps aren't really designed the same way as the previous Halos.

Personally, I play almost exclusively while listening to podcasts. Sometimes in ranked playlists, even! Tryhards hate me (I assume, it's not like I ever hear them anyway :D)!

Because people don't say anything worth listening to a majority of the time.

Player A: *music in the background*
Player B: OMG HOW'D HE KILL ME THAT'S BULLSHIT (doesn't even give out a position)
Player C: Two on my X, Where are you guys! (on the other side of the map by himself)
Player Me: -_-

So now I just have my setting on I can only hear/communicate if I'm in a party or with friends.

clav

Because people don't say anything worth listening to a majority of the time.

Player A: *music in the background*
Player B: OMG HOW'D HE KILL ME THAT'S BULLSHIT (doesn't even give out a position)
Player C: Two on my X, Where are you guys! (on the other side of the map by himself)
Player Me: -_-

So now I just have my setting on I can only hear/communicate if I'm in a party or with friends.

That's Warzone though. I usually do mute or go private party.

Arena ranked tends to be different.

I guess that's the life of a lonely random solo player.

That's Warzone though. I usually do mute or go private party.

Arena ranked tends to be different.

I guess that's the life of a lonely random solo player.

I was actually talking about TS (that's why I used four players). This is even happening at Onyx level for me, majority of the time people don't have anything useful to say. Once in a while I'll run into someone that actually knows callouts and doesn't have pointless chatter, but it's all too rare.

Top Bottom