• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone give me a crash course on plasma caster and hydras?

Plasma caster I manage only to betray people with, direct hits on enemies don't seem to do much good. Hydras I can get kills with but I don't understand the logic, I think I read that they are supposed to go behind cover but I can only score direct kills.

Plasma caster is a weapon you zone with or use as weapon to support on call outs. If people be calling out spots, you bang out a few rounds in the general direction. When you zone with it, you can lock down areas and collapse teams.

Hydra is a suppression weapon. Your goal with the Hydra is to make teams back down from pushes because that lock on scares people since it can kill in two hits. Weapon can be used to break control of the map because it forces people to move, or controlling the map cause it also forces people to not push.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If people are in close proximity to you, aim the PC at your feet and the grenades will detonate on them. Long shots with it are little more than luck and to be a bother, really. Charged shots are good to stick on ceilings and such if you know someone is hiding there.

With the Hydra, once you're locked on, pull your aim far away and up and it should allow the missles to track behind cover unless the person knows you're aiming at them and they evade. Direct shots with a Hydra will rarely work unless you're behind someone who is completely unaware of you. The Hydra can be an absolute monster on Eden/Plaza, I'm not even sure why it's on Riptide, TBH.

Always aim for the ground of the enemy's feet with the plasma caster. Charge it up if you think you can get a direct stick.

Hydra is hit or miss for me. If you aim high and to the side when locked on to an enemy the missles have a better chance of getting behind barriers if they hide.

dunno if that really helps...just takes practice.

Plasma caster is a weapon you zone with or use as weapon to support on call outs. If people be calling out spots, you bang out a few rounds in the general direction. When you zone with it, you can lock down areas and collapse teams.

Hydra is a suppression weapon. Your goal with the Hydra is to make teams back down from pushes because that lock on scares people since it can kill in two hits. Weapon can be used to break control of the map because it forces people to move, or controlling the map cause it also forces people to not push.

Charged shots, what the what?! I had no idea you could charge to stick, but now I know how the betrayals happened :D and shooting to legs, like rockets. Got it. It's funny how players on my levels (gold/plat) just leave the plasma caster laying around, so maybe this will give me an edge.

Hydra, wow wouldn't have figured that out in a million years, so lock first, aim up and then it finds its way.

Cheers guys.

Ramirez

How do you use the Hydra at close range without lock on?

With hope and a prayer? It has little to no AOE damage, so you'd have to get 2 direct hits, which is extremely unlikely, lol.

Charged shots, what the what?! I had no idea you could charge to stick, but now I know how the betrayals happened :D and shooting to legs, like rockets. Got it. It's funny how players on my levels (gold/plat) just leave the plasma caster laying around, so maybe this will give me an edge.

Hydra, wow wouldn't have figured that out in a million years, so lock first, aim up and then it finds its way.

Cheers guys.

Holding the trigger in charges the PC for a big ball that let's a volley of grenades loose once it explodes. People leave the PC untouched in all levels of play in my experience, contrary to what Funk would have us to believe. ;P

It's not really worth controlling, tbh. It has its moments, and it's strong enough in its niche, but it's utterly inflexible (which is ironic considering it's a 2 mode weapon). You're almost always better off doing something other than going for it.

Nutter

Arenas meant to foster competitive settings, I bring up an obvious sandbox issue and you respond with "lol warzone bks". I apologize for being good and playing with other good people to the point we break the game by being better. I'll make sure to try less. Now if 343 developed competent spawn systems, or things such as a mercy rule, or a much overdue surrender option. Alternatively dare I say develop maps that aren't a sheet on glass that break easily we wouldn't be having this discussion.

It's not like your borderline forced into warzone with the massive imbalance of XP/RP vs arena or anything. If this tier 2/3 power weapon system didn't exist that has .2 sec+beatdown killtime weapons spawning every 15 seconds on segmented cod-esqe maps I wouldnt be in warzone period.

Just like those kids who DDOS Xbox Live because its security is lacking?

Sure Warzone can use a better and tweaked spawn system, but your company is exploiting the spawn system and then saying why isnt it developed properly.

With that said, Arena should just get rid of Radar.

Chittagong

Gold Member
One last thing for hydra, do you have to maintain line of sight to enemy at the point of launch? Or will it stay locked for a while when enemy ducks behind a wall for example?

Nutter

One last thing for hydra, do you have to maintain line of sight to enemy at the point of launch? Or will it stay locked for a while when enemy ducks behind a wall for example?

I have had the hydra lose its lock on when the enemy moves behind a wall for more than a couple of seconds, so don't wait too long and fire away.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

It'll lose the lock pretty quick, but if you fire within a second you should be able to get them off on target.

Plasma caster and hydra are more useful than I first thought.

With the plasma castor I skim them along the ground towards the area I anticipate the enemy will move to, if they are close I bounce them off walls aa I thrust away... I do quite well with it.

The hydra is useless unless you are zoomed in so you can lock on, then I aim up a bit and let rip.
You can avoid fire while you shoot if needed... If the enemy is close don't zoom, just spam it like the fuel rod.

Akai__

I don't even know why the Plasma Caster is on Truth. Nobody ever picks it up, because it just doesn't work on that map.

There's like a coupple questionable weapon placements that 343i has to look into.

Plasma Caster is just pretty useless in general. I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where I actually ever scored a kill with it.

I've had more succes with the Hydra. It's a very niche and luck-based weapon, though. You need to get close enough for your SmartScope to actually start locking on, but if you get shot while aiming you have to start all over again.

I've made some damn fine kills with it, though.

Not gonna lie, I don't even know how to lock onto targets with any of the weapons. For rockets and the hydra launcher do you have to zoom or hold down a trigger button? Both?

Not gonna lie, I don't even know how to lock onto targets with any of the weapons. For rockets and the hydra launcher do you have to zoom or hold down a trigger button? Both?

Zoom, focus on dude, wait 'til it gives you the signal (you'll know), and fire.

Tracking rockets are pretty useless, though. Don't think I've ever seen anybody in a Banshee actually get hit by the things.

Just ads and keep the reticle centered on whatever you want dead.

Just keep in mind that stock rockets only lock onto aircraft.

Granadier

I don't even know why the Plasma Caster is on Truth. Nobody ever picks it up, because it just doesn't work on that map.

There's like a coupple questionable weapon placements that 343i has to look into.

Yeah, caster should be replaced with a hydra.

halo_reach_grenadelauncher01.png
+
halo_4_sticky_detonator_by_kingficus-d54rbaw.png
Grenade Launcher 2.0 would function like this (equipped with the small radar screen it used to have):
  • Press RT to shoot -> Remote mine that you have to press again to detonate -> Sticks to any surface like the Sticky Detonator
  • Hold RT to shoot -> Release to detonate -> Can bounce off walls just like the Reach Grenade Launcher (this was best GL in video games aside from Goldeneye 64)
I'm of the opinion that if it feels like the Reach Grenade Launcher but with this functionality, it could be the best Grenade Launcher in video games.

Vico

Grenade Launcher 2.0 would function like this:
  • Press RT to shoot -> Remote mine that you have to press again to detonate -> Sticks to any surface like the Sticky Detonator
  • Hold RT to shoot -> Release to detonate -> Can bounce off walls just like the Reach Grenade Launcher (this was best GL in video games aside from Goldeneye 64)
I'm of the opinion that if it feels like the Reach Grenade Launcher but with this functionality, it could be the best Grenade Launcher in video games.

That, or something easier to do like bringing the two versions as grenade launcher variants. Would be more suited to the REQ system. I actually firmly believe this will be part of the Reach update, by the way.

Granadier

Grenade Launcher 2.0 would function like this (equipped with the small radar screen it used to have):

Personally, I'd want pro-pipe as the main variant with the sticky detonator functionality as a REQ variant.

Pro-pipe just as it was in Reach would be great for Arena.

Well I grinded from Plat 3 to Diamond. Didn’t take too long, sitting at 51 games. Started my placement matches 3-7, now I’m 26-25. Don’t think I’ll make a serious push for Onyx this season, if I get it I get it, if not oh well.

That, or something easier to do like bringing the two versions as grenade launcher variants. Would be more suited to the REQ system. I actually firmly believe this will be part of the Reach update, by the way.
Personally, I'd want pro-pipe as the main variant with the sticky detonator functionality as a REQ variant.

Pro-pipe just as it was in Reach would be great for Arena.
I'd prefer it over the default + variant because they wouldn't use the variant for Arena. It's what I expect to happen with the Reach update too lol, but maybe in Halo 6 they could consider it as the default GL, granted they don't just make H5's multiplayer a platform.

Fuchsdh

Ghost Ultra and Wraith Ultra are so good. Wraith Ultra is surprisingly good and I've been using it a lot more. Easy to splatter people and the cluster mortars are amazing.

The Ultras are simply the best REQs IMO period. If I don't get a killing spree with one I'm doing something wrong. Banshee Ultras turn you into an unstoppable death machine unless the other team calls in a lot of ordnance.

Honorable mention goes to ONI Mantis and ONI Warthog, but it's pretty easy to kill the gunner off a 'Hog and the ONI Mantis still suffers from the crazy boarding radius of all its brethren.

Anyone that wants to get in on the Sunday Warzone action, send me a msg on Live and I'll hit you with an invite. Gonna try to start soon.

GT: MyExWlFE (the I is an L)

Massively unrealistic but this is what I'd like to see

Ghost of Meridian.
Meridian based infection map.
VIP game mode archtype allowing for Infection, Juggenaut, Flood, VIP
No idea what weapon they could bring into the sandbox. (Classic shotgun with less spread + more range maybe)
Forge pallet additions for making infection map.
SPI, ODST and CQB armor.
Hornet

Memories of Reach
Powerhouse, Boneyard and Forge World remakes
Invasion game mode.
Grenade Launcher + Sticky Detonator
Forge additions for better invasion map building.
Noble 6, Jorge, Emile, Jun and Kat armor.
Falcon
Armor Abilities (half joking)
Bloom (fully joking)

Hog Wild
Avalanche and Sandtrap remakes
Race game mode
Revenant
Forge additions for spawning driveable elephants
Brute weapon pack Mauler, Spiker, Brute shot.
Hayabusa Armor

Warzone Firefight
Crater, Lost Platoon, Installation 04 and Unearthed remakes.
Forgeable firefight maps.
Target Locator
Silenced SMG and M6C/SOCOM

We all know warzone firefight is going to be played on the maps we already have.... There's nothing new they will make for just warzone firefight except the "zone/section" like what they do for assault vs reg wz. .....

Keep the expectaions in check my friends. Let's be real.

Why on earth would you want the M6C?

We have the only two Halo pistols worth having already.

And silenced SMGs are already in Warzone too :p

Oh, and I could see them diversifying the Forerunner weapon set a little for Ghosts, since most of those were designed to fight Flood.

belushy

Banned
It would be awesome to see the grenade launcher or sticky det at some point for Warzone and in forge for arena. Also I hope they eventually add completely new weapons in the DLC. Maybe a Forunner Railgun or something weird like that.

Incoming flood orients of weapons that spit spores and apun death the spartan turns into a uncontrollable infection that swats and hits anything in its way for 5 seconds.

Ramirez

If everyone just gets in ghosts we could probably get the armor this week.

Everyone needs to focus on WZ this week and killing every possible Prom they can if we are expecting to get it this week, lol. The others will naturally happen over the next couple days. We really have to focus on the Proms, because aside from a small time frame yesterday, they've been moving at a snail's pace.

Everyone needs to focus on WZ this week and killing every possible Prom they can if we are expecting to get it this week, lol. The others will naturally happen over the next couple days. We really have to focus on the Proms, because aside from a small time frame yesterday, they've been moving at a snail's pace.

This. Prometheans are going to be the biggest trouble spot for us.

Akai__

Not sure if this is true, but people say Crawlers in the Garage are infinite on "Escape from Ark". Given that you don't kill all Promethean and don't capture the Garage.

Shoot lol I completely missed how far off we were on that

The Spartan Company I've been in isn't active anymore, we play regularly still but we just don't use the SC features etc. If you want 300+ (updated after checking) more Promethean kills feel free to invite me. I play most MON-FRI nights so I'll add to whatever tallies.

International games could be interesting, seems like there are more Aussies in HaloGAF/SC these days?
EDIT: Strange Halotracker has WZ with 270 crawlers and 256 soldiers but Waypoint has just "Prometheans" 312. Which one is correct?

The Spartan Company I've been in isn't active anymore, we play regularly still but we just don't use the SC features etc. If you want 300+ (updated after checking) more Promethean kills feel free to invite me. I play most MON-FRI nights so I'll add to whatever tallies.

International games could be interesting, seems like there are more Aussies in HaloGAF/SC these days?

I'm not sure if it works like that. It may be that your contribution to the SC START when you join. So it's the promoethean kills you get AFTER joining that count towards it.

Not sure though

BraXzy

We all know warzone firefight is going to be played on the maps we already have.... There's nothing new they will make for just warzone firefight except the "zone/section" like what they do for assault vs reg wz. .....

G0SU bringing home the hard truths, damn :'(

Regardless of what maps they are on, I just hope they capture the fun of old firefights.

Trup1aya

I would would like to think that Firefight would incorporate some campaign areas...

But you are probably right :(

Top Bottom