• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I'd love to pull a long streak like your invincible. I bet that felt good! Was it vehicle based?

Nope, all on foot. DMR/SMG > DMR/RL > DMR/Answer (off my poor friend's corpse) > DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR.

Felt so good. Kinda game where everyone you find is looking the wrong way, or when they fight back, you just nail in the blink of an eye. Got an Ultra Wraith kill too.

It's not quite such a great feeling as previous streaks, as Warzone is that bit less serious. But on the flipside, outside BTB I ain't never getting anything above a Running Riot, ever. Even that's a once-in-a-blue-moon thing.

Nope, all on foot. DMR/SMG > DMR/RL > DMR/Answer (off my poor friend's corpse) > DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR.

Felt so good. Kinda game where everyone you find is looking the wrong way, or when they fight back, you just nail in the blink of an eye. Got an Ultra Wraith kill too.

It's not quite such a great feeling as previous streaks, as Warzone is that bit less serious. But on the flipside, outside BTB I ain't never getting anything above a Running Riot, ever. Even that's a once-in-a-blue-moon thing.

Damn is all I can say, you got work done there mate. Love me the DMR, sucks it's such a late WZ unlock and non-starting weapon in arena.

Fuchsdh

This game has probably taken a lot of peoples' money. It might have sold less than the other Halos, but I'm fairly certain they made up for it with the req packs.

I don't think there's any way selling X number of REQ packs equals the 2+ million copies they apparently didn't sell compared to previous games. But it certainly justifies continuing iteration on the game and perhaps broadening its hooks to keep players invested and pumping money in (which I think is probably the reason we're getting Warzone Firefight at all. Someone at 343 went to MS and showed them REQ performance and said 'and there are all these people who want a PvE mode where they will use these', and MS saw enough dollar signs to make it worthwhile.)

I don't think there's any way selling X number of REQ packs equals the 2+ million copies they apparently didn't sell compared to previous games. But it certainly justifies continuing iteration on the game and perhaps broadening its hooks to keep players invested and pumping money in (which I think is probably the reason we're getting Warzone Firefight at all. Someone at 343 went to MS and showed them REQ performance and said 'and there are all these people who want a PvE mode where they will use these', and MS saw enough dollar signs to make it worthwhile.)

Yeah, Firefight is a Good Thing and you'd think the gamer brains at MS/343 would think 'Yes, we'd like it if we could', but add in the REQ sales and the Suit Brains go 'Firefight is a Good Thing' and bingo.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, Firefight is a Good Thing and you'd think the gamer brains at MS/343 would think 'Yes, we'd like it if we could', but add in the REQ sales and the Suit Brains go 'Firefight is a Good Thing' and bingo.

Of course, this is all predicated on the idea that Warzone Firefight will feature REQs, but given that maps seen are likely more Warzone map remixes and Warzone's in the name, I feel pretty confident on that score :p

i think firefight, if you can use reqs, and if they offer a "req refill pack" or something to purchase, will cause a pretty big bump in sales of those packs.

im also the person that thinks they should announce the game as free in june at e3, along with another 6 months of support, so i might just be combining pipe dreams.

but with retail sales drying up by then i feel like thats the move to support further development. Inject the userbase with fresh blood, new players have a wealth of content, etc.

i think firefight, if you can use reqs, and if they offer a "req refill pack" or something to purchase, will cause a pretty big bump in sales of those packs.

im also the person that thinks they should announce the game as free in june at e3, along with another 6 months of support, so i might just be combining pipe dreams.

but with retail sales drying up by then i feel like thats the move to support further development. Inject the userbase with fresh blood, new players have a wealth of content, etc.

I could see them making it GWG somewhere down the line.

I have bought the standard edition of the game, the limited collectors edition, 100+ silver and gold packs, the Arena REQ bundle and all the sales and advertisement that come from my subscribers on my channel, you can really say that I have done my part to promote and help the game :p

And that I have spent a lot of money too lol

I had no idea you had a yt channel, cool.

BizzyBum

Good lord, we got the HCS Finals this weekend AND I forgot Final Round is this weekend as well (first major SFV tourney for Capcom Cup)

So hype

singhr1

NEWS DAY #2
Halo-5-Guardians-Spartans-Armory-REQ-Pack-576x320.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Stay-Together-569x320.jpg

Get the Spartan’s Armory REQ Pack, Unlock New REQs

As some of you may have spotted floating around in the REQ Store last week, there’s a new REQ Pack available to check out! The Spartan’s Armory REQ Pack has a high chance of granting REQs specifically from content updates, such as Infinity’s Armory and Hammer Storm, 14 all new weapon skins and the coveted 343 Industries Assault Rifle and Magnum skins, previously exclusive to members of the studio! The pack is available now until midnight PT this Sunday, Mar. 20, and can be purchased in-game for 80,000 RP or $9.99 on the Xbox Store. Here are some of the brand new REQs you may find when opening the pack!

Blue Team Assault Rifle and Magnum Weapon Skin: Emblazoned with the symbol of the legendary Blue Team. Olly olly oxen free, Spartans!

Noble Team Assault Rifle and Magnum Weapon Skin: Can’t wait for the Memories of Reach content update in April? Get your nostalgic kick now with the Noble Team Assault Rifle and Magnum Weapon skins.

Spirit of Fire Assault Rifle and Magnum Weapon Skin: Exitus Acta Probat. Represent the crew of the Spirit of Fire with its phoenix symbol.

Fireteam Osiris Assault Rifle and Magnum Weapon Skin: Navy, Army, ODST and Oni. Only the best are tasked with the most secretive of missions.

343 Industries Assault Rifle and Magnum Weapon Skin: Don the mantle of responsibility and deliver lead using the 343 Industries Assault Rifle and Magnum skins!

For those of you who prefer physical discs, Amazon will also be running a special promotion starting Friday from 9 a.m. to midnight PT on Sunday: $20 off the Standard and Limited editions of Halo 5: Guardians plus three Gold REQ Packs thrown in for free. They also have you covered if you’ve been eyeing the Arena REQ Bundle, available for 50% off!

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/17/get-ready-for-the-halo-world-championship-2016/

Um. I just purchased the Spartan pack with real money and nothing happened....

I even got the confirmation email from MS that I bought it. Yet there's no packs to open, and the Spartan Pack is still listed in the REQ store

EDIT: nvm it showed up now. Looks like you only get 5 things. So you're gonna have to buy it multiple times to get everything....

Unless of course they include these new skins in the normal REQ pool

Fuchsdh

The Noble Team skin says if you can't wait for "Memories of Reach" in April.

Wouldn't particularly surprise me, as we had enough monthly updates to take us to June which is where they stopped making promises, and it sounded like this months update was slipping but never mentioned it disrupting the other launches.

Huzzah for actually having discipline and saving up my REQ points :)

jfoul

I'm guessing you need to watch with the Xbox Live Events Interactive app (XLEi)

Earlier this week, we shared where and when fans can tune-in to watch the playoffs starting at 9 a.m. PT on Friday and Saturday, followed by the Finals at 4 p.m. PT on Sunday – don’t forget to tune-in during the Finals to receive the free Halo World Championship REQ Pack and watch the world premiere of Warzone Firefight! Below is the full schedule and a few more special things planned going into the weekend!

Isn't this what you get for watching?

Looks like it, after reading up on it more.

I have everything in the game, and 180k saved for the next content launch. I suppose the 343i skins are worth 80k.

FUCK

Okay, now I need to get... 67k reqs by Sunday.

And finish an engineering models II lab.

And engineering models II homework.

And a logic control lab.

And a logic control take home exam.

Let's do this.

Fuchsdh

I'm guessing you need to watch with the Xbox Live Events Interactive app (XLEi)

Looks like it, after reading up on it more. I have everything in this game, wonder if the 80k pack is worth it. I suppose I would get the 343i weapon skins.

Can watch via Twitch too as long as it's on Xbox.

FUCK

Okay, now I need to get... 67k reqs by Sunday.

And finish an engineering models II lab.

And engineering models II homework.

And a logic control lab.

And a logic control take home exam.

Let's do this.

Unless you have everything unlocked, you're not guranteed anything. The pack gets you 5 random reqs with a good chance of new stuff. For me, only 2 reqs out of 5 were new weapon skins. The other stuff was armor/stance/assassinations/etc that were from older updates

Trup1aya

I think it's certainly plausible that , over time, the Req system will make up for the lower sales . Never underestimate the power of whales. There are undoubtedly plenty individuals who spent enough to but quite a few copies of H5 and that's revenue that isn't split with retailers.

Fuchsdh

I think it's certainly plausible that , over time, the Req system will make up for the lower sales . Never underestimate the power of whales. There are undoubtedly plenty individuals who spent enough to but quite a few copies of H5 and that's revenue that isn't split with retailers.

I'm not underestimating them, I just don't think it's enough to make up for something like $100 million in gross sales. But, as you point out, there are certainly benefits to that income beyond pure dollar amounts, such as the fact that it doesn't rely on external distribution, it's lower-cost content with higher returns that traditional DLC, and that it's probably a steadier source of income versus the usual long-term dropoff in sales. I'm certainly not concerned about Halo as a franchise.

Plus, I don't think I've actually seen that many people really upset with the system (aside from the emblem walls and the RNG factors.) 343 managed to make an unbalanced multiplayer system feel fair and not pay-to-win. That means they can probably expand the system in future installments without worrying about alienating the core group of people who are generally going to always buy a Halo game.

80k req points for 2 weapon skins and 5kx3 RP cards? so no worth it lol
Had all reqs. Bought 5 new packs. Each pak was 2 skins, 15k reqs
Only 2 weapon skins despite the description saying:

7921b8be1e1264ae156106c0f99dd115.png

I was expecting the, y'know.. "5 rare or better visual customization from our post-launch support" but I guess they forgot the "Oh, and screw you if you have everything unlocked! Enjoy this 15k RP for your 80k though!"

What a load of crud.

EDIT:

jfoul

Only 2 weapon skins despite the description saying:

7921b8be1e1264ae156106c0f99dd115.png

I was expecting the, y'know.. "5 rare or better visual customization from our post-launch support" but I guess they forgot the "Oh, and screw you if you have everything unlocked! Enjoy this 15k RP for your 80k though!"

What a load of crud.

Gross, I'm keeping my points.

I know why they would do this, but it's a bad look. I have a feeling these will be available later in gold packs.

Top Bottom