• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Poster#1

I'm honestly surprised they ever made that change because it must have caused a drop in revenue surely? Maybe a majority buying something they were confident in outright the whales buying a hundred chests in the hopes of glory.

I'm still hoping they do something similar for a unique REQ pack with like 4 possible goodies and you get one each time.

It's a dumb business decision BUT maybe there was an outrage from the community for the change to happen? not sure.

Wasn't the HCS REQ pack one-time purchase and you get everything?

Madness

Man Overgrowth is one of the worst Slayer maps I've ever played. Just a shitfest of nonstop spartan charges, sprinting, sword and camo are unstoppable. Remove the sword as fast as possible. Anyone who picked up the sword got at least a killing spree with it easy.

BraXzy

It's a dumb business decision BUT maybe there was an outrage from the community for the change to happen? not sure.

Wasn't the HCS REQ pack one-time purchase and you get everything?

Yeah but it was quite costly. You did get like 6 or so things guaranteed. I just mean like a lucky dip pack where you get one of four unique legendaries or something. Could be cool.

Poster#1

Yeah but it was quite costly. You did get like 6 or so things guaranteed. I just mean like a lucky dip pack where you get one of four unique legendaries or something. Could be cool.

If they wanted to do that they have to price it reasonably. $10 is too much.

Btw, I have been getting this message in the last couple of days. is it server side issue? my friends get it too ( not my picture):

ZaV0TZr.png

The game could use a Titanfall style black market system, random REQ cards goes on sale everyday with elevated REQ point prices, hefty cost for legendary ones but if you want to, you can get it without praying for RNG (well you still do for it to show up in the market lol).

mo60

This game must think I suck, my 2nd slayer match, and I went 26-3 against these gold/silver guys. I figure I might as well place now to see how I do before ranks reset, but it's just crazy the level of players they're putting me against.

The opposite seems to happen to me sometimes in slayer matches were I get destroyed by the enemy team and only get 5 or 6 kills max.Sometimes I get matches were I die less than 5 times and get like 10+ kills easily.

BraXzy

This game must think I suck, my 2nd slayer match, and I went 26-3 against these gold/silver guys. I figure I might as well place now to see how I do before ranks reset, but it's just crazy the level of players they're putting me against.

Placements/match ups in general have felt really borked this season. Like in SWAT I placed Platinum, one game I get put against a group of guys that are clearly not at the same level and I go 24 and 2, next game I go against people as good if not better than me that clearly aren't platinum either and go like 15-13.

Btw, I have been getting this message in the last couple of days. is it server side issue? my friends get it too ( not my picture):

That usually happens when someone in the party has a poor internet connection/lives real far away from you/has strict NAT. It's rarely the servers.

Poster#1

That usually happens when someone in the party has a poor internet connection/lives real far away from you/has strict NAT. It's rarely the servers.

My friends are having this problem as well. Even when they are playing solo. Probably a regional issue.

BraXzy

My friends are having this problem as well. Even when they are playing solo. Probably a regional issue.

Yeah if you're quite far out from the datacenter being used it could be that I'm afraid. It did happen to me once though but a trusty restart of my router fixed whatever issue it was having. It's always worth a try, right? :3

Trup1aya

Pistol, Sniper, Rocket was like 50% of CE's sandbox in general because it didn't have a lot of weapons lol. And to say nothing else mattered is not true because players would frequently drop their Pistol when picking up the Camo so they can instantly activate it with an automatic/Shotgun.

-pick up power weapon while Camo, drop Pistol while keeping your automatic or Shotgun-​

^Frequent occurrence in CE matches.

That particular scenario makes up for a tiny fraction of all encounters in Halo. Most of the time people were shooting others with the pistol simply because it was the best weapon to use in almost all situations thanks to its TTK

You say that, but why are so many competitive players against the AR? Because it's at their expense since the AR is so easy to use and how effective it is. I'm not immediately for an AR nerf as much as I'm more for a Pistol buff of some sort.

Just as many or more pros are for the current balancing. Most don't really complain about the AR so much as they do the Storm rifle, but that's besides the point. Halo doesn't have to be purely about mechanical skill. Something can be said for knowing when to use your Arsenal situationally. It's hard to argue that the AR's effectiveness is at the expense of pros when it has a lower TTK than rhe pistol AND it makes up for so few of their kills/deaths

You mean other than being the most beloved and best-playing Halo outside of H5? ;]

Haha. I love Halo CE, but it certainly isn't beloved for its exquisite balancing so much as for the fond memories of LAN parties and how pivotal it was for the console FPS scene. but the genre has come a long way since then, and improvements made on the design. Bungie knew the CE pistol was broken, that's why it was nerfed so hard in every subsequent game.

I don't know why you went on to talk about BR starts when I was talking about CE. It doesn't really apply because the BR was without a doubt the weapon you would never replace, whereas the same wasn't true in CE. It might be true in H5 in the sense that you won't want to drop your CE Pistol, meaning you'd just replace your AR with whatever pickups you gain, but why is that a bad thing? It's not like the CE Pistol would be the only viable weapon in a sandbox with very effective weapons like the Storm Rifle, Railgun, long range Shotgun, etc. lol

I talked about BR starts because you brought up the fact that pros were discussing having H2BR starts. In CE, I'd never replace the CE pistol, it was dominant in so many situation, and was essentially the only midrange weapon. In H5, the CE pistol as a starting weapon would essentially be equivalent to starting Everyone with a power weapon. One with a constant supply of ammo being dropped.

Trup1aya

Or they'll just go play something else.

Yeah, so we should make the game easier overall to appease people who don't even appreciate the skill gap? It's probably better that they just play something else...

Bungie also thought the H3 Magnum was good.

And dual wielding, and bloom, and Armor Abilities That's not the point. The point is, they set out to fix something that they knew wasn't working as intended... It just so happens that their solution also didn't work as intended. If H:CE couldve had online updates, the pistol would have been nerfed, undoubtedly.

Interestingly, The BR was essentially a solution to the CE pistol problem. They essentially increased the TTK, required an extra shot (which provides opportunity to highlight strafe skill), and changed the model to more reflect its utility. They also realized that something so good is better served as a pickup. Unfortunately, dual wielding screwed up the sandbox so much, that the BR had to become a starting weapon.

BraXzy

Yeah, so we should make the game easier overall to appease people who don't even appreciate the skill gap? It's probably better that they just play something else...

Yeah I didn't really understand the "make it quicker to kill people for newbs" point when it'd be the newbs struggling even harder against the competitive folk who could dong on them faster.

I feel the like the sandbox, especially your starting hand is in a really good place IMO. I have issue with the storm rifles power, and the AR could maybe do with reduced range/accuracy but other than that nothing really stands out as crazy OP which is pretty damn impressive.

Yeah I didn't really understand the "make it quicker to kill people for newbs" point when it'd be the newbs struggling even harder against the competitive folk who could dong on them faster.

I feel the like the sandbox, especially your starting hand is in a really good place IMO. I have issue with the storm rifles power, and the AR could maybe do with reduced range/accuracy but other than that nothing really stands out as crazy OP which is pretty damn impressive.

Yep, just look at CoD, the end game result for good player is even more jarring than Halo.

And dual wielding, and bloom, and Armor Abilities That's not the point. The point is, they set out to fix something that they knew wasn't working as intended... It just so happens that their solution also didn't work as intended. If H:CE couldve had online updates, the pistol would have been nerfed, undoubtedly.
That is the point in my opinion, that developers may think one thing, but that doesn't mean it's absolute fact. The CE Pistol wasn't broken, just misunderstood ;b
CoD is the most popular FPS for that reason, I believe. Having weapons with potentially very fast kill times is attractive to people, especially if in a game with such high survivability. I imagine this can't be very fun for casual players:

http://gfycat.com/AliveSourJackrabbit

It's too easy to survive in this game (not complaining about that, specifically) and it must be frustrating for people who aren't too good.

EDIT:
If everyone starts with a lower kill time gun, then the game loses that element of survivability. Especially at higher levels of play.

I'm adamantly against the idea of going after players who don't appreciate the meta-game for what it is. Those players won't stick around regardless. Halo will never be as good as being COD and COD is. So let's stick to our own principles.
I disagree with the first part, and the second line reads like you think I'm suggesting a drastic change to the meta game lol, which the CE Pistol would not bring.

Note: I'm fine with H5 as it is, for the most part, but I'm just curious what it would look like with the best weapon ever in existence of video games*, ty.

Trup1aya

That is the point in my opinion, that developers may think one thing, but that doesn't mean it's absolute fact. The CE Pistol wasn't broken, just misunderstood ;b

Lol

CoD is the most popular FPS for that reason, I believe. Having weapons with potentially very fast kill times is attractive to people, especially in a game with such high survivability. I imagine this can't be very fun for casual players:

http://gfycat.com/AliveSourJackrabbit

If everyone starts with a lower kill time gun, then the game loses that element of survivability. Especially at higher levels of play.

I'm adamantly against the idea of going after players who don't appreciate the meta-game for what it is. Those players won't stick around regardless. Halo will never be as good as being COD and COD is. So let's stick to our own principles.

If such a situation as what was seen in that clip doesn't encourage the "victim" to learn to get better, instead of blaming his starting weapon, then maybe this game isn't for him. What happened was his fault, and the fun in Halo revolves around getting better, not having the game do everything for you. That aspect needs to be preserved for the core fans who will actually stick around after the new COD drops.

Edit: ironically, the person who recorded this clip was impressed by how he was pwned...
Also, I doubt casual players will run into players capable of moving like this.

Interestingly, The BR was essentially a solution to the CE pistol problem. They essentially increased the TTK, required an extra shot (which provides opportunity to highlight strafe skill), and changed the model to more reflect its utility. They also realized that something so good is better served as a pickup. Unfortunately, dual wielding screwed up the sandbox so much, that the BR had to become a starting weapon.

I don't know, if they nerfed CE pistol back in the day, what else could be buffed/added to complement the sandbox? Let's say, they put the H5 pistol in CE, does that make the CE sandbox better? I don't know the answer, just being curious since I never played CE MP.

Need a sell all for req things. I don't need x60 moongooses and urban camo warthogs.

Speaking of this, what vehicles do you guys recommend keep and what need to be disposed of? I have tons of scout warthogs and gungeese collecting dust lol.

Madness

The opposite seems to happen to me sometimes in slayer matches were I get destroyed by the enemy team and only get 5 or 6 kills max.Sometimes I get matches were I die less than 5 times and get like 10+ kills easily.

Placements/match ups in general have felt really borked this season. Like in SWAT I placed Platinum, one game I get put against a group of guys that are clearly not at the same level and I go 24 and 2, next game I go against people as good if not better than me that clearly aren't platinum either and go like 15-13.

I just don't get it. My first two matches I go 25-6, 26-3, win 4 in a row never going negative. Two losses on Overgrowth where I'm the top guy on my team, win twice on riptide, lose once on empire where two of my teammates left and still only was -2 that match, final match team dominates again. Got such a junk placement. I mean almost 9.1 KDA. I'm not saying put me in Onyx or even Diamond, but damn. Far better than I was at launch, and yet got placed far lower this season.

Ramirez

I just don't get it. My first two matches I go 25-6, 26-3, win 4 in a row never going negative. Two losses on Overgrowth where I'm the top guy on my team, win twice on riptide, lose once on empire where two of my teammates left and still only was -2 that match, final match team dominates again. Got such a junk placement. I mean almost 9.1 KDA. I'm not saying put me in Onyx or even Diamond, but damn. Far better than I was at launch, and yet got placed far lower this season.

You waited until the end of the season to place, I'm sure that plays into it.

Trup1aya

I don't know, if they nerfed CE pistol back in the day, what else could be buffed/added to complement the sandbox? Let's say, they put the H5 pistol in CE, does that make the CE sandbox better? I don't know the answer, just being curious since I never played CE MP.

All it needed was a TTK increase. There was no need for a starting weapon to kill so quickly. I don't think they would need to add anything, the sandbox would have benefited immediately. It would still have its range and utility.

I think the CE pistol would be a fine addition to the H5 sandbox. 1) for custom games in remade maps. 2) as a high tier weapon pickup in Arena 3) as a legendary weapon in Warzone.

It just has no business being a starting weapon.

I don't think having the CE pistol in H5 validates the CE sandbox. It's just a nice fan service.

Speaking of this, what vehicles do you guys recommend keep and what need to be disposed of? I have tons of scout warthogs and gungeese collecting dust lol.

I ditch scout warthongs and mongeese. I keep a few gungeese for fast travel purposes. I keep everything else.

If such a situation as what was seen in that clip doesn't encourage the "victim" to learn to get better, instead of blaming his starting weapon, then maybe this game isn't for him. What happened was his fault, and the fun in Halo revolves around getting better, not having the game do everything for you. That aspect needs to be preserved for the core fans who will actually stick around after the new COD drops.

Edit: ironically, the person who recorded this clip was impressed by how he was pwned...
Yeah, his aiming was good but he chased too hard. Happens to all of us lol

And I'm simply saying I don't think it would be as broken as you're assuming it would be. As a regular pickup though I'd be fine with, but not treated as a power weapon. Let's not get crazy..
Good question, I'd love to try that out. CE was a great game, but I don't think it was perfect. I used to dislike how over half of the kills on Chill Out were from the Rockets, or at least that's what it felt like.
I get rid of all Scout Hogs except for the Oni Hog, and I only keep 3 of each Gungoose for the last part of Warzone Assault while selling 100% of Mongeese.

Madness

You waited until the end of the season to place, I'm sure that plays into it.

Probably, or I'm just not as good as I think. But it's crazy, I was perhaps one of the only guys getting perfects or headshots. Just shitting on all these gold and silvers and a few plats.

I've been thinking I should buy a gaming monitor, stop playing on a large television. See if that makes a difference. You weren't kidding about storm rifle though. I bet if you played the guys I played against you could probably easily get invincible or perfection every time. Half of these guys wouldn't even go for power weapons in matches. Just use AR and grenade spam.

Nutter

Maybe 1 out of 50 games is easy street being Onyx. The pressure is almost too much at times. But damn I love this game.

Probably, or I'm just not as good as I think. But it's crazy, I was perhaps one of the only guys getting perfects or headshots. Just shitting on all these gold and silvers and a few plats.

I've been thinking I should buy a gaming monitor, stop playing on a large television. See if that makes a difference. You weren't kidding about storm rifle though. I bet if you played the guys I played against you could probably easily get invincible or perfection every time. Half of these guys wouldn't even go for power weapons in matches. Just use AR and grenade spam.

Some times I don't understand both the MM and what the other players are doing. If I found the power-ups and power weapons unchecked at the beginning of the match I'm almost sure I won't do bad this match and it is likely a lost one.

Couple days ago I had a match like this:

rYpx4ze.jpg

And I'm even the only one that is positive on the team.

Trup1aya

Yeah, his aiming was good but he chased too hard. Happens to all of us lol

And I'm simply saying I don't think it would be as broken as you're assuming it would be. As a regular pickup though I'd be fine with, but not treated as a power weapon. Let's not get crazy..

Yeah he chased and also, seemed to be using the AR as his primary. Strange to see that, especially considering he was taking a high ground position. That was his first mistake.

As a starting weapon, I think CE pistol would be broken. To go from a pistol that is already pretty lethal, but requires 5 skillful shots to one that only requires 3 would negatively impact the game.

As a pick up, I'd be fine, but id prefer if it were a tier 2, like the hydra or shot gun. Especially if it's going to be hitscan. It doesn't need to be on. A weapon pad, that would be silly.

Madness

Some times I don't understand both the MM and what the other players are doing. If I found the power-ups and power weapons unchecked at the beginning of the match I'm almost sure I won't do bad this match and it is likely a lost one.

Couple days ago I had a match like this:

rYpx4ze.jpg

And I'm even the only one that is positive on the team.

Just had this match on Empire. I actually got worried because they caught up at one point just killing my other teammates. Even had a Bronze on the team who betrayed me twice.

Next season, I'm definitely going to try and place as quickly as possible. Who knows though.

daedalius

Well, this is the attitude that 343 has seemingly taken.

Would it really be "make it quicker to kill people for newbs" if the pistol didn't feel like it had Gears levels of aim assist (and by that I mean none)?

It just makes it feel like I'm constantly fighting with the controls, even if that isn't the case, or its the controls AND the no AA. Either way, I've been playing since CE, and it feels shitty, and it makes me not want to play it when I otherwise might.

But apparently I should "just play something else"

Just had this match on Empire. I actually got worried because they caught up at one point just killing my other teammates. Even had a Bronze on the team who betrayed me twice.

Next season, I'm definitely going to try and place as quickly as possible. Who knows though.

I got placed on the first day of the season, 200 games later I'm still in Gold lol. Sometimes you can never underestimate others. Granted I had lots of DNFs due to constant disconnects, but still, win streak is extremely hard to come by.

jem0208

Well, this is the attitude that 343 has seemingly taken.

Would it really be "make it quicker to kill people for newbs" if the pistol didn't feel like it had Gears levels of aim assist (and by that I mean none)?

It just makes it feel like I'm constantly fighting with the controls, even if that isn't the case, or its the controls AND the no AA. Either way, I've been playing since CE, and it feels shitty, and it makes me not want to play it when I otherwise might.

But apparently I should "just play something else"

Git gud

It seriously does, you should definitely swap and try it out for a bit. Helped me a lot.

Yeah I tried playing on a TV (crappy Chinese one though), the input lag is very noticable coming from a 6ms GtG monitor (not even a gaming one), it feels like playing via the output window of my capture card.

You should the difference is huge!

Nutter

So many folks in this thread say they are "good" at Halo, but there are so many of you stuck in Gold/Platinum.

Technically Plat is not bad, but if you are a decent player, you should be able to move up to Diamond.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So many folks in this thread say they are "good" at Halo, but there are so many of you stuck in Gold/Platinum.

Technically Plat is not bad, but if you are a decent player, you should be able to move up to Diamond.

How does Wood tier rank? What about Moss?

jem0208

The solo grind is fucking rough, I've managed to make it to Onyx in slayer and to Diamond 4 in Arena I think. A couple of quits in Arena seriously set me back though.

I really need to get some people to play with, communication is so important in H5 with the emphasis on team shooting.

I honestly think a group of individually skilled gold players could probably grind to high diamond if they played together and could call out well.

Not finding excuses but solo IS hard. I don't have Ram to play with.

Poster#1

Yeah if you're quite far out from the datacenter being used it could be that I'm afraid. It did happen to me once though but a trusty restart of my router fixed whatever issue it was having. It's always worth a try, right? :3

EU is closest datacenter to me and still kinda far away lol. But it never happened to me before. I'll restart the router when I get home. I hope it fix it.

It all depends, really. One game I'll play super tactically and dominate fools, the next I'll get bent over and violated with a cactus.

I still have trouble properly staying on-target in this game. I'll lose way to many BR or Pistol duels because I just can't keep my aim on their head, whereas I could do that fine in previous Halo's.

IHaveIce

Banned

Tell that to Halos servers that throw me put of almost all games, I'm stuck in platinum and it is fucking awful.

Solo is indeed hard, this season I only got to Diamond three in TS, probably could have gone higher if I spent more time with it. However, I'm not the most consistent player. Some games I'm at the top going 20-8 and other times I've been at the bottom going 6-15. I have my communications disabled unless you're a friend or in my party, so that probably can explain some of my inconsistency. I know if I played with people I would be Onyx, but I really don't care that much. I'm getting too old (27) to be super competitive! I mainly just play for fun, which is why I would love a social TS and not have to worry about winning so much.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Solo is indeed hard, this season I only got to Diamond three in TS, probably could have gone higher if I spent more time with it. However, I'm not the most consistent player. Some games I'm at the top going 20-8 and other times I've been at the bottom going 6-15. I have my communications disabled unless you're a friend or in my party, so that probably can explain some of my inconsistency. I know if I played with people I would be Onyx, but I really don't care that much. I'm getting too old (27) to be super competitive! I mainly just play for fun, which is why I would love a social TS and not have to worry about winning so much.

I jumped off the Rig twice last time I tried Arena.

I have anti-spacial awareness.

No one on Asian servers communicate anyway since there is no universal language here.

Top Bottom