• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Actually I don't think we've played Halo competitive before :O so I don't know how good you are.

But nowadays I play way too much with friends who have no idea of Halo and I carry them to plat.. till I lag out.

Yeah, we played a lot of Destiny but I'm not sure we've ever played Halo together.

Glass

I think 343 have been great at looking at feedback so far and implementing things based on it. You have the headline grabbing stuff like Breakout removal, or gameplay stuff like weapon balance on Overgrowth, to minor stuff, like a Reddit thread asking 'Why isn't there a button to go straight to your REQ page from the home screen' which got added in days later it seemed.

But 343's listening abilities will truly be put to the test as perhaps the most important and lacking feature in H5 continues to press itself upon users enjoyment of the game. I'm not talking about adding superfluous things like Infection, but of course talking the lack of an inspect weapon option.

Look at this pistol skin. What on earth could it be? Impossible to tell from this angle, it can't be read.

Screenshot-Original.png

You can get half a second glance at it as you reload, but that is it.

Add an 'inspect gun' to one of countless unused D pad buttons and voila

fbLj9UA.gif

That is one sick wolf howling at the moon skin breh!
It even shows off the grip, which on some skins has a nice bit of design there (HCS pistol), something you literally never see.

The weapon models and skins are so sexy in this game, let's see them.
Capturing warzone bases, capturing a stronghold, waiting near your core for the next wave of enemies in Warzone Assault, have a quick look at the sexy skin you worked so hard to unlock.
Running rather then sprinting somewhere? Inspect your weapon on your travels, the time will fly by.

Ty pls

anigif_enhanced-buzz-32358-1323969315-93.gif

I almost thought for a second they added an "Inspect Weapon" animation.

The game definitely needs one, feels so awesome showing off your skins and stuff to viewers when playing the game.

Glass

Is that gif an idle animation? I think CSGO do that, even when you are moving sometimes the player turns his gun to show off the skin, but it does not interrupt gameplay, I think H5 could use that, just make the idle animation appear more frequently?

Yeah it's an idle animation, you have to stay still for 30 seconds to get it to play, which as you can imagine, gets me killed a lot in team arena.

In CSGO it's a button so you do it on command, it's used just to show it off and have a look at your weapon.

Trup1aya

Well, this is the attitude that 343 has seemingly taken.

Would it really be "make it quicker to kill people for newbs" if the pistol didn't feel like it had Gears levels of aim assist (and by that I mean none)?

It just makes it feel like I'm constantly fighting with the controls, even if that isn't the case, or its the controls AND the no AA. Either way, I've been playing since CE, and it feels shitty, and it makes me not want to play it when I otherwise might.

But apparently I should "just play something else"

It's the right attitude... It's better to please your core loyal audience (who is willing to spend money for a chance at a pizza skin) than to sacrifice your core in order court gamers who don't want to play your game anyway.

They tried that with Halo 4. It didn't work.

Now, while they had the right attitude, they didn't execute extremely well this time around. Lack of spit screen, modes, and gametypes at launch eroded core fans. But exquisite balancing is one thing that keeps us coming back (and constantly generating revenue)

It's the right attitude... It's better to please your core loyal audience (who is willing to spend money for a chance at a pizza skin) than to sacrifice your core in order court gamers who don't want to play your game anyway.

They tried that with Halo 4. It didn't work.

Now, while they had the right attitude, they didn't execute extremely well this time around. Lack of spit screen, modes, and gametypes at launch eroded core fans. But exquisite balancing is one thing that keeps us coming back.

I think at this point, we are no different to the 38OTs worth of Destiny fans. We stayed for the vastly superior gameplay, we can look past the game's very apparent flaws. The only difference is probably our voices are being heard and our game is being more actively supported than theirs. I hope the post TTK drought doesn't happen after June.

Ade

On the subject of "inspect gun" could it also flash up the req card in the top right or something? I often pick up a req weapon someone called in and would quite like to know wtf it does, same with the results of the random weapon card..

Glass

UtGb.png

Had to go into Riptide and take a bunch screenshots it looks so damn nice.

More sandy sunny maps pls... Hey that's like half the ingredients for a Sanghelios based map already right?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So many folks in this thread say they are "good" at Halo, but there are so many of you stuck in Gold/Platinum.

Technically Plat is not bad, but if you are a decent player, you should be able to move up to Diamond.

I am platinum 2-3 and that seems to be right around where I belong. I don't claim to be good at halo, I don't claim to be bad. Decent average player. Nothing world beating here.

Trup1aya

I think I'm gonna start focusing on specific Spartan Company commendations. We only need 30more Warzone Assault wins to level up, so I'll be all over then when I get off of work if it hasn't been completed yet.

Also breakout seems good way to knock out several of the commendations at once.

Question: do the commendations stack if Spartan Company members are playing together? For example do we get 4 points towards a slayer commendation if we go as a team of 4? If so, We could really make some headway in groups.

E92 M3

Solo is indeed hard, this season I only got to Diamond three in TS, probably could have gone higher if I spent more time with it. However, I'm not the most consistent player. Some games I'm at the top going 20-8 and other times I've been at the bottom going 6-15. I have my communications disabled unless you're a friend or in my party, so that probably can explain some of my inconsistency. I know if I played with people I would be Onyx, but I really don't care that much. I'm getting too old (27) to be super competitive! I mainly just play for fun, which is why I would love a social TS and not have to worry about winning so much.

I'm 28 and trying to get Champ in FFA, but it's really hard lol. Nonetheless, solo is definitely hard in team games. I'd love a mode for no parties.

Finally got to Diamond 1 in Slayer last night. It's been an uphill climb since I mostly play solo up until last week or so. It is so much easier to win when you have a team that listens to call outs and cleans up one shots.

Hey guys, so some may remember me posting here a few days ago, very flustered at the game to the point where I was saying I was hating it more with each passing game. At that time I had been using a 0 inner and outer deadzone control options and it took me a bit to realize that it was the problem. So I borrowed fellow Gaffer, daedalius, options he posted on the same page and suddenly I've been doing a lot better. I still get frustrated from time to time, but its' not nearly as prevalent as it had been.

On a side note... The Halo 2 BR is fucking sex. Like holy shit 343i, make it the main BR. It's just... wow. One of the best feeling guns I've ever used in a game.

I'm pretty jelous. I haven't played with it yet. This weekend will be lovely when i finally can get some time in.

I read that as Remember Chatter, as in proximity chat. Those were the good ole' days.

I'd remember crouch sneaking when i would get near the opposing team and listen in on their commonds. Then i'd want to laugh because i was about to get a drop on someone who had no idea. like some awesome joke where i throw a bucket of water on them from behind. I dont know how many times i laughed histarically while teabagging someone i sneaked up on with prox-chat.

>=D

So many folks in this thread say they are "good" at Halo, but there are so many of you stuck in Gold/Platinum.

Technically Plat is not bad, but if you are a decent player, you should be able to move up to Diamond.

we all suck at halo

Yeah, Scooby is right!
Plz Understand

I almost thought for a second they added an "Inspect Weapon" animation.

The game definitely needs one, feels so awesome showing off your skins and stuff to viewers when playing the game.

You said you didn't STREAM. LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!!! :p

UtGb.png

Had to go into Riptide and take a bunch screenshots it looks so damn nice.

More sandy sunny maps pls... Hey that's like half the ingredients for a Sanghelios based map already right?

You find great angles to take pictures on these maps. I thank you for this effort. I can't wait to finally get a few play sessions in this map this weekend LOL...

Akai__

Boltshot, Gungoose, Random Weapon and Warzone Boost from our SC Commendation. What an absolute joke. lol

They seriously have to look into these rewards.

Well, this is the attitude that 343 has seemingly taken.

Would it really be "make it quicker to kill people for newbs" if the pistol didn't feel like it had Gears levels of aim assist (and by that I mean none)?

It just makes it feel like I'm constantly fighting with the controls, even if that isn't the case, or its the controls AND the no AA. Either way, I've been playing since CE, and it feels shitty, and it makes me not want to play it when I otherwise might.

I have to say, im in your boat too with it comes to the controls. They feel off. Im still struggling with them and ive never struggled with halo controls before. Ever. And its not about getting gud, i am gud. They feel off. Lack of autoaim maybe but something is definitely off. Them adding all those control options to me proves it. Halo never needed them before.

I dunno if any of this has to do with the game being 60fps now.

Trup1aya

Boltshot, Gungoose, Random Weapon and Warzone Boost from our SC Commendation. What an absolute joke. lol

They seriously have to look into these rewards.

Yeah it's not really rewarding to get the very things you got hundreds of and discarded while grinding the commendation.

I'm just gonna keep my eyes on the prize, the Achilles gear.

Glass

As someone who finds spamming the trigger fast enough for the normal carbine difficult, the automatic level 4 version is amazing. The 'ADS' for the carbine is extremely satisfying imo.

singhr1

http://youtu.be/FyHBoXVbQXM

This is the type of stuff that should air during intermissions at online qualifiers.

It's great and all but that would feel like pandering to that team. I thought they played highlights of old HCS matches/players before? At least during H2A they did. They'll probably do more of that after more "LAN" tourneys.

BTW, anyone know when the X Games stuff starts for Halo? It's today right?

Trup1aya

It's great and all but that would feel like pandering to that team. I thought they played highlights of old HCS matches/players before? At least during H2A they did. They'll probably do more of that after more "LAN" tourneys.

BTW, anyone know when the X Games stuff starts for Halo? It's today right?

Well this was produced by this specific team.

For HCS you'd obviously be doing previews of all the teams, not just one. It's a great way to hype up specific match ups too. It would be a good way to get viewers familiar with the personalities.

Currently, they play Halo5 commercials, montages, and map walkthroughs... The same ones, over and over and over again.

BraXzy

Need a sell all for req things. I don't need x60 moongooses and urban camo warthogs.

I think at the bare minimum there should be like a sell x5 and x10 option. That way even if you have a hundred things you only have 10 clicks at most. But a scroll wheel esque counter you could change would be perfect.

I just don't get it. My first two matches I go 25-6, 26-3, win 4 in a row never going negative. Two losses on Overgrowth where I'm the top guy on my team, win twice on riptide, lose once on empire where two of my teammates left and still only was -2 that match, final match team dominates again. Got such a junk placement. I mean almost 9.1 KDA. I'm not saying put me in Onyx or even Diamond, but damn. Far better than I was at launch, and yet got placed far lower this season.

I hope whatever tweaks they made to matchmaking for this season get looked at and addressed. Because it's not even just.. I went 10KDA and won 8/10 matches hands down and went Plat.. You could argue I was placing against people who were Plat or lower so I only deserved that...

But even those who say they were teamed with someone the entire time they placed, did consistently better and had a higher KDA but place in a lower rank/tier makes you go.. Wha?

Your argument was that something like the CE pistol which is way harder to use, but has the potential to get a sub 1 second kill as a starting weapon would be good for noobs. I'm saying, said noobs would never ever land that ~1 second, however good players occasionally would. All that'd do is make the "noobs" rage at the fact "That guy is killing me way quick and I'm still hear trying to land one shot."

No one should ever say go play something else. But git gud as Jem says ;)

EU is closest datacenter to me and still kinda far away lol. But it never happened to me before. I'll restart the router when I get home. I hope it fix it.

There's an EU datacenter? :O

Kappa

Hey guys, so some may remember me posting here a few days ago, very flustered at the game to the point where I was saying I was hating it more with each passing game. At that time I had been using a 0 inner and outer deadzone control options and it took me a bit to realize that it was the problem. So I borrowed fellow Gaffer, daedalius, options he posted on the same page and suddenly I've been doing a lot better. I still get frustrated from time to time, but its' not nearly as prevalent as it had been.

On a side note... The Halo 2 BR is fucking sex. Like holy shit 343i, make it the main BR. It's just... wow. One of the best feeling guns I've ever used in a game.

What settings do you use now? I'm still playing around with them a bit.

-aiming woes-

Hey man, idk if you have considered these, but those joystick extensions aren't just a stupid gimmick. They really help with controlling your aim. I found a lot of my struggle was with the default sticks on the Xbox One controllers. They are too easy to actuate IMO, like they don't have enough tension. The extra stick height has helped me compensate for that.

edit: I also reduce aim acceleration down to 1 and move the outer deadzone to 10. Feels more "classic" imo.

Holy fucking shitballs, we're up 70/20 in a team of strongholds. One of my teammates goes AFK and another quits out.

We lose.

Sometimes I just wish I could reach through the screen and choke some motherfuckers.

EDIT: And another one in a game of Breakout, what the fuck is up with these douchebags.

BraXzy

Surprisingly there is a major percentage of HaloGAF players (at least in the Spartan Company) that are Onyx in something. Like that bar is far and away the highest overall. It's mainly me though obviously.

I think 343 have been great at looking at feedback so far and implementing things based on it. ...but of course talking the lack of an inspect weapon option.

CS;GO fan boiz trying to ruin my game! Get out I say!

It's something I'd love to have too, I'm surprised they haven't already done it considering the animation is there. I'd defo make a thread on Waypoint, that get's way more attention from Bravo who passes that stuff on. Some skins just need to be shown off/looked at, especially on peoples streams.

I have to remember to save clips on my performance this weekend.

I want to be in a Montage!

Bro, if you want me to pretend to play in a custom game while you get a mad 360 no scope cross map, I'd do that for you.
Git gud.

snip

Bro, if you want me to pretend to play in a custom game while you get a mad 360 no scope cross map, I'd do that for you.
Git gud.

Well if we did a custom game, i'd have to waste about 90% of the time playing to make sure we gave you a successful ground pound clip.

i don't know how many times it may take you to get one where the person is standing still.

Top Bottom