• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

My morning routine of playing a few games of warzone assault before work was frustrating today. I played with the sound off, which completely ruined my ability to know what was going on lol. But I did open 6 bronze packs and unlocked 3 helms and another BR certification. So that was good I guess.

Arena can be really frustrating at times. Who thought this would make a decent match?

Screenshot-Original.png

Invert

Neo Member
If anyone is doing some early morning halo and wants to team up let me know. Down for any game mode. Tag : Invert 3RB

so many people are qualifying right now. i think you gotta expect a few rounds like this at the beginning of the season

Aye.

Some matches are just crap, but sometimes that's just what happens. I'm usually a Diamond 3/4 in most playlists, but sometimes I just have terrible, terrible games, even when the team balance is ostensibly great (given the ranks are a relative indicator at best).

Anyone live in northern Mississippi or western Tennessee? I think the atmosphere is primed for some strong tornadoes, especially across northern Mississippi.

EDIT: Possibly in central or northwest Alabama too

Caja 117

Arena can be really frustrating at times. Who thought this would make a decent match?
Something tells me that EL ave fenix MX is from Mexico and he likes Saint Seiya a lot.

Strongholds is one of the best gametypes Ive have played in Halo and mostly because of the epic comebacks, Yesterday I played one stronhghold in empire that was a heart breaker, It was a game the team I was in was wining through the whole game, at one point we were up by more than 20 with more than 90 points in the scoreboard, the game ended up with the other team wining 100-99.

I did my Team Arena placement and got a Platinum 2, now time to work on getting a that Diamond.

Leyasu

Banned
Facepalm.
I don't even know what to say.
Just that US is everything for Microsoft.

Pretty bad, because that 125ms counts for us Europeans and at the same time you have US people in your match, which have a 30-50ms ping.

My ping to the main XBL server (which, according to support, is on the US West Coast) is 174ms. You can check yours through your "Detailed Network Test" or whatever it's called. I doubt it's lower than that, when I actually play against people from US West Coast.

LOL.

125ms ping used as KPI threshold for a competitive online shooter?

Especially combining that to this sentence:

Instead of spending efforts on giving everyone the best and lowest possibile ping (regional server selection) they say they are working on ways to compensate for high pings...

You are stupid 343i.
With love, from Italy.

My good god ... Thereyouhaveit.gif

The proof that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. I had suspected for a few days now that they have been trying to compensate for high pings because of the jittery disappearing players and the way that everything has felt "off" in more than a few games. Dropping dead instantly, getting shot through walls and other little niggles that were never there before that I will note tonight. But thanks for the confirmation.

So matchmaking speed remains the priority and not quality for a supposed competitive game.. Yet they must scratch their empty heads as to the reasons why "international" numbers have dropped like a stone! Who are the clowns making the decisions??

Also, gotta call out the absolute fucking bullshit that has been spewed by Josh Holmes since last year. First they were gonna let us choose where we matchmake, then the game automatically chooses the closest lowest ping server for us, then on slaent he said that 100ms was the ceiling, now this. Damn son, you suckered alot of motherfuckers with your bullshit.

Rant over, sorry to the people that don't want to read this. But to 343, you are disappointment.

E92 M3

Titanfall let players select their servers and the MM is still super quick (played it a few days ago). Why can't 343 do such a simple thing?

Caja 117

Titanfall let players select their servers and the MM is still super quick (played it a few days ago). Why can't 343 do such a simple thing?

I think it has to do with Ranking system.

Rant over, sorry to the people that don't want to read this. But to 343, you are disappointment.

Just because they are not delivering in some things doesn't make them a Disappointment IMO, especially not when Halo 5 is so good.

Strider

Well for one Titanfall doesn't have any skill based MM at all. Connection is literally the only priority. Makes things a lot easier for them...

Not saying connection shouldn't be a higher priority and server selection shouldn't be a thing. It'd be great to have but if 343 did add it and connection played a higher priority then people are just gonna start bitching about uneven ranked matches instead.

It'd be really nice to have a proper social playlist where connection was the only priority though. The dream.

Titanfall doesn't remotely have skill based matchmaking though. But still the game's ability to quickly fill up matches with like less than 100 players in a playlist is magical.

Caja 117

Well for one Titanfall doesn't have any skill based MM at all. Connection is literally the only priority. Makes things a lot easier for them...

Not saying connection shouldn't be a higher priority and server selection shouldn't be a thing. It'd be great to have but if 343 did add it and connection played a higher priority then people are just gonna start bitching about uneven ranked matches instead.

If people complain now with a balanced skill matching system, imagine if you dindt had skill based Matchmaking...

E92 M3

I think it has to do with Ranking system.

Just because they are not delivering in some things doesn't make them a Disappointment IMO, especially not when Halo 5 is so good.

Server selection at a min. would help immensely for the folks overseas.

It'd be really nice to have a proper social playlist where connection was the only priority though. The dream.

It'd be wonderful if we had a connection only social playlist for Halo. I am advocating on behalf of everyone not American.

Titanfall doesn't remotely have skill based matchmaking though. But still the game's ability to quickly fill up matches with like less than 100 players in a playlist is magical.

Well, the only people left playing are all sweaty now lol.

Strider

It'd be wonderful if we had a connection only social playlist for Halo. I am advocating on behalf of everyone not American.

Yea for sure. A proper social playlist is probably the best solution.

What's weird as for me being in NA is I feel the connection is still solid most of the time but I notice it has gotten worse and worse since launch. At launch the game played flawless for me but sometimes the game just feels off now.

I wonder if its the tweaks they've been making to "compensate for high ping" affecting those of us that usually have solid ping...? I've no idea how that stuff works though tbh

Caja 117

Server selection at a min. would help immensely for the folks overseas.

Yes, but at what cost? Less matches with people that are close in skill? longer waiting times for getting a match?

Anyway, my point is, and made by others, is that is really not good to compare a game like Titanfall to Halo when it comes on how they matchmade.

Yea for sure. A proper social playlist is probably the best solution.

What's weird as for me being in NA is I feel the connection is still solid most of the time but I notice it has gotten worse and worse since launch. At launch the game played flawless for me but sometimes the game just feels off now.

I wonder if its the tweaks they've been making to "compensate for high ping" affecting those of us that usually have solid ping...? I've no idea how that stuff works though tbh

same here. ive noticed people rubberbanding or telporting time to time.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My good god ... Thereyouhaveit.gif

The proof that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. I had suspected for a few days now that they have been trying to compensate for high pings because of the jittery disappearing players and the way that everything has felt "off" in more than a few games. Dropping dead instantly, getting shot through walls and other little niggles that were never there before that I will note tonight. But thanks for the confirmation.

So matchmaking speed remains the priority and not quality for a supposed competitive game.. Yet they must scratch their empty heads as to the reasons why "international" numbers have dropped like a stone! Who are the clowns making the decisions??

Also, gotta call out the absolute fucking bullshit that has been spewed by Josh Holmes since last year. First they were gonna let us choose where we matchmake, then the game automatically chooses the closest lowest ping server for us, then on slaent he said that 100ms was the ceiling, now this. Damn son, you suckered alot of motherfuckers with your bullshit.

I just want to echo everything said here. The game is currently bullshit for European players, with insane disadvantage against American players. It's ridiculous - crazy TTK, grenades not leaving and all that.

Can anyone explain techically why the grenade won't leave your hand? Like, what makes grenade throw so hard to code?

Magwik

Banned
So Riptide is the absolute worst Halo 5 map and now easily one of the worst Halo maps of all time. It's way too easy for one team to control the top part of the map and trap the other team.

E92 M3

So Riptide is the absolute worst Halo 5 map and now easily one of the worst Halo maps of all time. It's way too easy for one team to control the top part of the map and trap the other team.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of hopes for new maps. They have been very subpar so far.

Leyasu

Banned
Yes, but at what cost? Less matches with people that are close in skill? longer waiting times for getting a match?

Anyway, my point is, and made by others, is that is really not good to compare a game like Titanfall to Halo when it comes
on how they matchmade.

A bit of a longer wait is far better than a game that is not in the slightest competitive. Having skill based matchmaking don't mean shit when the person that you are shooting at is no longer in the position that he is on your tv.. Not even close to skill based dude!!

same here. ive noticed people rubberbanding or telporting time to time.

It is not all the time, but it has crept in very recently for me. The "bullshit" moments have multiplied as well.....

I just want to echo everything said here. The game is currently bullshit for European players, with insane disadvantage against American players. It's ridiculous - crazy TTK, grenades not leaving and all that.

Can anyone explain techically why the grenade won't leave your hand? Like, what makes grenade throw so hard to code?

Grenades don't leave your hands because of the ping. High ping = longer delay. Same as the ridiculous mêlée lunge distance. High ping = sword lunge length.

Trup1aya

It's because your server has to agree that you threw the grenade. If the server didn't see you throw it, it didn't happen.

ive read this about every single halo 5 map now.

all of them are the worst ever created.

ive played on riptide maybe 4 times now? thought it was fine?

Interestingly both Riptide and Overgrowth are starting to grow on me the more I play them. Used to strongly dislike Overgrowth but now think it's ok. Removing the shotgun on Overgrowth definitely helped in that regard.

I'm convinced the worst map in the game is now Antifreeze. It's horrid for every gametype.

ive read this about every single halo 5 map now.

all of them are the worst ever created.

ive played on riptide maybe 4 times now? thought it was fine?

It's probably because they are in the higher ranks and solo queing versus a full team. The full team coordinates and takes map control or power weapon control and owns them.

thats my take from it. i've had horrible unfun games when the team i faced just dominated positions and weapons.

Nowise10

"i got wrecked by the enemy team so now this is the worst map ever"

Played like 6 matches so far on it and it feels pretty good. Their are a shit ton of ways and corridors to get to the top walkway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How many frames behind the server does 125ms of latency put you??

60FPS -> 1 frame is 16.67ms -> 125ms is 7.5 frames

It's because your server has to agree that you threw the grenade. If the server didn't see you throw it, it didn't happen.

That makes sense, but why does it only apply to grenades thrown? I don't think I get a 'click' when firing a gun, not at least as often whereas the grenades thing has been a Halo franchise feature forever

Strider

Placement matches for Slayer done. Wanna do Team Arena next.... Want to do placement matches for that with a team this time around tho

Top Bottom