• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Magwik

Banned
"i got wrecked by the enemy team so now this is the worst map ever"

Played like 6 matches so far on it and it feels pretty good. Their are a shit ton of ways and corridors to get to the top walkway.

If you're spawning on the bottom, you have less line of sight and are back into a much tighter spot than the team who controls the top.

jem0208

I don't understand the dislike for Riptide around here. It's a pretty solid map.

Even Beyond (the most critical Halo community there is) seems to think it's fairly good.

If you're spawning on the bottom, you have less line of sight and are back into a much tighter spot than the team who controls the top.

There are couple of very easy ways to get back to mid-top level though, the skill jumps on Riptide are pretty spread out and are fairly easy to execute, unlike Fathom you either have to take a very risk ramp or use the dangerous jump spot near the water.

I don't understand the dislike for Riptide around here. It's a pretty solid map.

Even Beyond (the most critical Halo community there is) seems to think it's fairly good.

You rarely have anything critical to say though, so no surprise there. :p

It's the worst map in the game.

Trup1aya

60FPS -> 1 frame is 16.67ms -> 125ms is 7.5 frames

That makes sense, but why does it only apply to grenades thrown? I don't think I get a 'click' when firing a gun, not at least as often whereas the grenades thing has been a Halo franchise feature forever

I think that's because with grenades it involves actually tracking a projectile, where as firing most weapons it's just hit scan.

In order to show you throwing a grenade the server has to first know where the grenade is.

your view of the firing animation only needs to know where you are looking. But whether or not you actually do damage will depend on if the server knew what you were looking at. So the lag presents itself in a different way. You'll see yourself hitting a target, but there's no reaction to the impact.

Different topic- regarding riptide, it seems to play better if you use skill jumps to get around.

Magwik

Banned
There are couple of very easy ways to get back to mid-top level though, the skill jumps on Riptide are pretty spread out and are fairly easy to execute, unlike Fathom you either have to take a very risk ramp or use the dangerous jump spot near the water.

Maybe I don't know the map well enough *shrugs*

IHaveIce

Banned

We are grabbing some food, thanks for the games so far Stat, again sorry for my mate who went negative I believe every game

Computer

All I want is a classic map pack not made in forge. I would not mind if they adjusted the maps a bit to better suit Halo 5. The population would get a huge boots if this were to happen. Plz 343

I played strong holds on the new map and the game was dropping frames while in the hill just like the beta did. Fist time I have seen that happen.

Caja 117

A bit of a longer wait is far better than a game that is not in the slightest competitive. Having skill based matchmaking don't mean shit when the person that you are shooting at is no longer in the position that he is on your tv.. Not even close to skill based dude!!.

Are you saying is that 100% of the time you have really bad connection? or how often do you have this issue?

I mean, in my Halo 3 days I never got host when I played, and when I played against European Host most of the time my Matches had a degree of Lag with the shot registration. I don't think I have ever had on a consistent basis nade delays tough

IHaveIce

Banned
Congrats Braxzy, did you send that in somewhere or how do they chose it?
Partly because I'm jealous I also got a clip of me getting one short of a killionaire

Leyasu

Banned
Are you saying is that 100% of the time you have really bad connection? or how often do you have this issue?

I mean, in my Halo 3 days I never got host when I played, and when I played against European Host most of the time my Matches had a degree of Lag with the shot registration. I don't think I have ever had on a consistent basis nade delays tough

Not in the slightest. I have some games with a great connection, but I also have terrible games with high latency. Games with packet loss lag though. In nearly 6 days of play in the arena, I have probably only had 4 or 5. It's the consistency between low and high ping games that is frustrating. It is annoying that they prioritize speed over quality.. But this what you get when they base everything from surveys, they were only open to Americans long before everyone else.

For me as a European, halo 2 and 3 were horrific. Getting noob combo'ed before the plasma bolt has even connected should give you an idea lol

Caja 117

Not in the slightest. I have some games with a great connection, but I also have terrible games with high latency. Games with packet loss lag though. In nearly 6 days of play in the arena, I have probably only had 4 or 5. It's the consistency between low and high ping games that is frustrating. It is annoying that they prioritize speed over quality.. But this what you get when they base everything from surveys, they were only open to Americans long before everyone else.

For me as a European, halo 2 and 3 were horrific. Getting noob combo'ed before the plasma bolt has even connected should give you an idea lol

But, Don't you think the priority to Americans has more to do with how Xbox is doing overseas (MS approach + European preference), rather than 343 themselves?

Maybe I don't know the map well enough *shrugs*

All the routes to the top mid are on one side of the map, from the other side you can thrust across, but that doesn't play out in practice as you are most certainly being shot at in this location. Of course you'd want to take out the enemy before trying anything, but unfortunately the top mid has cover as well as two doors to retreat behind.

The map is plagued by traversal that is just a chore rather than making sense, in the flooded room you have to go to the doorway to clamber up to the windowed platform, I don't think jumping + aiming works. Why does this exist? no logistical reason.

Map isn't the worst in Halo history, not close, but one of the worst for Halo 5.

Leyasu

Banned
But, Don't you think the priority to Americans has more to do with how Xbox is doing overseas (MS approach + European preference), rather than 343 themselves?

I don't really think that Microsoft are saying "fuck tier 2 and above" . The problem comes from the 343s decisions and priorities. Speed and skill for the matchmaking, coupled with the higher install base stateside.

I don't think they want to throw everyone on US servers to be cannon fodder. Its just that their stubborn stupidity and desperate desire to prove that they can after the MCC debacle, is ruining it for lots of people. After tasting the good stuff, the shit really does taste like it.

Fuchsdh

I've yet to actually play Riptide. Gotten plenty of Overgrowth, which is fine to me for the most part except I feel like the central area over the strongholds point doesn't lead me to where I "expect" it to.

Either way the map doesn't bother me, especially on Strongholds.

Caja 117

I don't really think that Microsoft are saying "fuck tier 2 and above" . The problem comes from the 343s decisions and priorities. Speed and skill for the matchmaking, coupled with the higher install base stateside.

I don't think they want to throw everyone on US servers to be cannon fodder. Its just that their stubborn stupidity and desperate desire to prove that they can after the MCC debacle, is ruining it for lots of people. After tasting the good stuff, the shit really does taste like it.

MS is not saying F. tier 2, but the underperforming of the One and Halo 5 in European countries, could be the factor of priorities been given to the bigger install base.

Stinkles is probably reading this right now and just laughing at my speculation, that is probably so far off the true is reads like a parody. in other words, I'm just doing some speculation leyasu, so carry on.

Anyway, I have faith they will place a solution in the future to Help out people from Europe.

jem0208

Good spot by someone on Beyond:

11edff3c5464e987e546c3e16e3592a4.png

6089b70d3f6934dff3f1bf6d1f8bfcff.png

That doesn't look like the standard H5 pistol...

BraXzy

343 loves Braxzy lol He had another clip in one of the videos they kept showing during the qualifier tournament

Wait, whaaa? What clip? I never saw something in the qualifier VTs.

Congrats Braxzy, did you send that in somewhere or how do they chose it?
Partly because I'm jealous I also got a clip of me getting one short of a killionaire

I have no idea tbh. I didn't submit it to anything as far as I can remember. I maybe put it on Reddit? Idk.

BraXzy

arene req bundle? Huh what did I miss

Yeah I was about to say! Is this the new Warzone REQ bundle? I'll have three of those pls TY.
I reckon I funded Riptide myself, so sorry to anyone who dislikes it.

I don't fully understand the layout get but the few riptide games I had weren't great.

Yeah I've only had a few games on it so far. I should probably just hop into customs, I don't even know where the H2BR spawns lmao. Not had chance to use it yet :(

Caja 117

It's ok, but I tend to camp in the above the beam rifle with the classic br and sr. I went 22-3 last nite on the map

I onl like riptde because of the classic H2BR and on strongholds they have the classic Rocket Launcher.

If I'm going to complain about 343 decisions, I will say that changing the classic RL is one of my biggest one.

IHaveIce

Banned
On the Riptide debate, just for clarification Static didn't just complain because we had a shit game on it( eventhough we had), we also had just a game before a match where we dominated.

Earlier in the day I had the same. The map is insanely hard to comeback if you are down a few kills and the enemies set themselves up. The spawns are super weird, most of the time I spawned nearer to enemies than to teammates.

Corridors combined with Halo 5's grenades are also always annoying. The sand pit in the middle of the map is just wasted space.

You can blame us. The survey folks. They base a lot of their decisions off of those surveys.

We'll see if they take heed to my call about dev made btb maps.

Fuchsdh

kB1y7Iw.png

I haven't gotten a single visor yet lol.

Got tons of visors. Currently rocking a silver one, but there's also a midnight black one that looks awesome and a lot of two or three-tone ones I can't pick between. I usually go neutral colors since they work best alongside red and blue colorings.

Also, being realizing that Needlers really are worth the call-in early on. Especially the req level 3 variants—if you want to camp, get a shotgun, otherwise a needler will get you multikills like they were going out of style.

Leyasu

Banned
You can blame us. The survey folks. They base a lot of their decisions off of those surveys.

We'll see if they take heed to my call about dev made btb maps.

Please. Halo 5 BTB is on another level... But the current maps kill it for me.

MS is not saying F. tier 2, but the underperforming of the One and Halo 5 in European countries, could be the factor of priorities been given to the bigger install base.

Stinkles is probably reading this right now and just laughing at my speculation, that is probably so far off the true is reads like a parody. in other words, I'm just doing some speculation leyasu, so carry on.

Anyway, I have faith they will place a solution in the future to Help out people from Europe.

Last comment from me on this before everyone starts getting angry at the spam lol.

Underperforming or not, there is no excuse for not making quality part of the criteria. Especially when we do get great games. Why not let people have the choice between speed and quality? They don't have to throw skill out of the window. Having skill and speed means that the net must be cast wide, hence the shit. That said, even Americans get dumped into EU servers as well. I have had them getting angry because the person didn't die plenty of times.

They could easily give us two options.

1, speed.

2, quality. Where we have the ability to set the ping ceiling. Say from 50ms up to the wonderful lol 125ms max. Obviously informing you that speed will be affected

I have zero faith in them sorting this out in all honesty.

I'll buy that Arena req bundle if cool shit is actually guaranteed.
The price on the pack would be pretty ridiculous if good things aren't guaranteed. 25 bucks - almost half the cost of a new game - for a chance at some goodies? I'd be inclined to pull the trigger on some of these purchasable packs, but not at such a high price. 25 is too high even for guaranteed stuff. I mean come on man. lol. I thought these were micro-transactions - not mega-transactions...

Top Bottom