• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
forgot to check, but i'm seeing settings talk, did we get incremental changes to sensitivity?

Well, matchmaking's truly 'ucked for me tonight. Have been booted from the last 5 of the last 7 games (perhaps some of that's on my internet though).

Not sure what to think of Infection from what I've played. Power feels a bit too skewed towards humans thus far. Infection are particularly weak, the shotgun's OHK has too much range (I never felt particularly threatened at close range), AR kills with ease and don't provide the type of tension that the pistols used to when you'd depend on headshots for the kill, 3 minute rounds are too short (ought to be 4), and some of the maps are just awful - easy to camp, with lots of power weapons (Black Friday is terrible).

Ultimately it just feels far more offensive than defensive, which I feel is the wrong ratio. Playing as a human is okay, but playing as an Infected player can be a downright woeful experience. Some of the maps are gorgeous though.

Man i dont believe it. How is multiplayer map design still a fucking issue? This new map is exactly like the Torque map only its winter. How the fuck does this shit get approved.

Free or not, their MP map design team fucking suck ass. So fed up. Its as if they dont listen to any feedback.

jem0208

Man i dont believe it. How is multiplayer map design still a fucking issue? This new map is exactly like the Torque map only its winter. How the fuck does this shit get approved.

Free or not, their MP map design team fucking suck ass. So fed up. Its as if they dont listen to any feedback.

The new map is really good.

IDK man, it feels like you're really not enjoying this game hoping for a some miracle. They listen to a lot of feedback and they have adjusted to their best ability from what i can see.

It's just not a game that suits your preference or ever will. Get over it.

op_ivy

Its also practically a copy paste of torque.

i have yet to get a game on it (wtf), but thats not really true at all and it was obvious just from watching a match on the reveal stream.

Trup1aya

It's much better than torque tho. The remix philosophy is problematic, but the maps generally play very differently...

Torque/stasis, Riptide/fathom and plaza/overgrowth seem to have the ugly sibling issue going on

jem0208

Its also practically a copy paste of torque.

giphy.gif

IDK man, it feels like you're really not enjoying this game hoping for a some miracle. They listen to a lot of feedback and they have adjusted to their best ability from what i can see.

It's just not a game that suits your preference or ever will. Get over it.

What the fuck are you talking about, im talking about map design. They have one of the worst MP map design team in the industry. Ive never seen so many maps in a single game that were so fucking similar to each other. This map is exactly like torque, exactly. From the middle stucture, to the side hallways the the bottom middle with the 2 bases on each end.

Its the same fucking map. OH but its snowing. Brilliant design.

jem0208

What the fuck are you talking about, im talking about map design. They have one of the worst MP map design team in the industry. Ive never seen so many maps in a single game that were so fucking similar to each other. This map is exactly like torque, exactly. From the middle stucture, to the side hallways the the bottom middle with the 2 bases on each end.

Its the same fucking map.

You have a very superficial grasp on map design.

Whilst Torque and Stasis are probably one of the two most similar remixes (maybe Truth and Regret...), they're still very different. The rest of the remixes play completely differently to their originals.

Karl2177

Reposting this for tomorrow. It's approx. 28 hours away. We still need 3 plus more if people can't make it.

testsession-20150514-small.png

ForgeGAF test session; Saturday May 14, 2016 @ 1PM EDT(5PM GMT)

So there are a handful of maps that the community has been working on and this is our chance to get some more playtest data. The three maps shown in the banner are the three maps I will be focusing on for this session, but more can and possibly will be played. For the three focus maps, I will be running 3-4 matches on them. The first will be Slayer, just to get people oriented with the maps. The remaining gametypes will be chosen by the map author(whom I will be contacting tomorrow[5/10]).

condemnedalpha.png
The first map is Condemned Alpha by JDHarbs. It's a remake of Condemned from Halo Reach. There are only a few differences from the original version but the most notable is the interior room no longer having decreased gravity.

ethereal.png
The second is Ethereal 1.1 by Sikamikanico. It's an original design with architecture loosely inspired by Halo CE. It uses long sightlines and unique angles to provide a different spin on Halo 5's gameplay.

intercession.png
The third is Intercession Bravo by Karl2177. It's a remake of a Forge map that he made in Halo 4 with some slight modifications for Halo 5's faster gameplay. It uses a variety of jumps that can give skilled players advantages.

So there are going to be anywhere from 5-7 slots available for you guys. I just ask that you respond to this post if you are planning on attending. There will also be alternate slots in case there are no shows. I will reserve 2 slots for the map authors so that way they can bookmark the film themselves, but if they decline the spot will open up. These spots are on a first come first serve basis.

1. Karl2177
2. [Sikamikanico]
3. [JDHarbs]
4. Nokyard
5. Zeta Ori

Alternates
13+.

I'd say Stasis has the fewest differences from its counterpart, but it's by no means a carbon copy. Bringing the back of the bases forward dramatically reduces the playable area. The alterations of the side lanes will make top mid encounters quite a bit different. The map is also not totally symmetric (stairs on red side, shotgun approach), so you should't be disoriented when spawning. Stasis pretty much fixes the problems that Torque had, lighting, size and base identification.Torque isn't a bad map, but those three things did hurt it from being a good competitive map. Stasis should be great.

op_ivy

no. please stop.

Trup1aya

I think you are confusing map design with reuse of assets.

Stasis and Torque share many of the same assets, but the block outs and flow of the two maps are very different. It's not simply copy and paste + snow.

op_ivy

Reposting this for tomorrow. It's approx. 28 hours away. We still need 3 plus more if people can't make it.

testsession-20150514-small.png

ForgeGAF test session; Saturday May 14, 2016 @ 1PM EDT(5PM GMT)

So there are a handful of maps that the community has been working on and this is our chance to get some more playtest data. The three maps shown in the banner are the three maps I will be focusing on for this session, but more can and possibly will be played. For the three focus maps, I will be running 3-4 matches on them. The first will be Slayer, just to get people oriented with the maps. The remaining gametypes will be chosen by the map author(whom I will be contacting tomorrow[5/10]).

condemnedalpha.png
The first map is Condemned Alpha by JDHarbs. It's a remake of Condemned from Halo Reach. There are only a few differences from the original version but the most notable is the interior room no longer having decreased gravity.

ethereal.png
The second is Ethereal 1.1 by Sikamikanico. It's an original design with architecture loosely inspired by Halo CE. It uses long sightlines and unique angles to provide a different spin on Halo 5's gameplay.

intercession.png
The third is Intercession Bravo by Karl2177. It's a remake of a Forge map that he made in Halo 4 with some slight modifications for Halo 5's faster gameplay. It uses a variety of jumps that can give skilled players advantages.

So there are going to be anywhere from 5-7 slots available for you guys. I just ask that you respond to this post if you are planning on attending. There will also be alternate slots in case there are no shows. I will reserve 2 slots for the map authors so that way they can bookmark the film themselves, but if they decline the spot will open up. These spots are on a first come first serve basis.

1. Karl2177
2. [Sikamikanico]
3. [JDHarbs]
4. Nokyard
5. Zeta Ori

Alternates
13+.

i'd like to participate if you can assure me there wont be any forge mini game bullshit and we'll be playing exclusively default arena gametypes and settings.

Fuchsdh

I wish I didn't already have the 4 smaller escalation volumes.

Honestly aside from buying digital I can't fathom how comics work as a business. Wait X months and you'll get a cheaper, more convenient form of what you're buying for three or four bucks currently.

VincentMatt,s I suggest you step away from H5. Nothing about it seems to please you.

The only thing that i hate about this game is their MP maps. Most of them are unoriginal and feel the same. They keep using their same blocks on every map, it makes them all feel the same. Hell, if i knew this is what "free" maps would be like, then id rather pay 40$ a year and get some variety.

Worst MP map design team in the industry. They dont have a creative bone in their body.

What the fuck are you talking about, -snip-

Your posts just dwell in a whiny bitch-attitude. there is nothing constructive about your rants or dissapointments. your feedback constists of "How is multiplayer map design still a fucking issue? This new map is exactly like the Torque map only its winter. How the fuck does this shit get approved."

I didn't care before, but now it's quite annoying and i think i just need to ignore you. too much negativity at 7 in the morning, yeeesh.

op_ivy

Yep, old games they were the same.

Setting them the same in Halo 5 has made the world of difference in my aiming personally.

cant wait to try! did we also get the incremental sensitivity and acceleration options? if not, when are those coming?

Strider

I really like the OS change on Plaza Slayer... forces teams to move around the map more instead of just camping nest and soda stairs.

Spawns are still atrocious when a team holds sniper though. The amount of times you'll spawn on Cafe ramp in the line of sight of a sniper that's in nest. . . . . . .

I wish they would just get rid of the Sniper on that map and replace it with a different power weapon.

Karl2177

i'd like to participate if you can assure me there wont be any forge mini game bullshit and we'll be playing exclusively default arena gametypes and settings.
On those 3 maps, it will be exclusively Arena game modes. As of right now, it will be Strongholds(2x) and Slayer(2x) on Ethereal, Slayer(2x) and CTF(2x) on Intercession, and Slayer, CTF(2x), and Strongholds on Condemned. After that I have another alpha map. Sik also wants to try a mini game, but you don't have to participate in that if you don't want to.

jem0208

The only thing that i hate about this game is their MP maps. Most of them are unoriginal and feel the same. They keep using their same blocks on every map, it makes them all feel the same. Hell, if i knew this is what "free" maps would be like, then id rather pay 40$ a year and get some variety.

Worst MP map design team in the industry. They dont have a creative bone in their body.

If you ignore the fact that every map they've released plays completely differently then sure.

Trup1aya

Using the same blocks makes them "look" similar. How can they make maps "feel" similar when they are arranged completely differently.

op_ivy

On those 3 maps, it will be exclusively Arena game modes. As of right now, it will be Strongholds(2x) and Slayer(2x) on Ethereal, Slayer(2x) and CTF(2x) on Intercession, and Slayer, CTF(2x), and Strongholds on Condemned. After that I have another alpha map. Sik also wants to try a mini game, but you don't have to participate in that if you don't want to.

ok, sounds like fun

I really like the OS change on Plaza Slayer... forces teams to move around the map more instead of just camping nest and soda stairs.

Spawns are still atrocious when a team holds sniper though. The amount of times you'll spawn on Cafe ramp in the line of sight of a sniper that's in nest. . . . . . .

I wish they would just get rid of the Sniper on that map and replace it with a different power weapon.

I made the mistake jumping between Arena and Slayer. Riptide with Slayer is no fun cause of the beam rifle back room camp :(

On another note - i tried to mess around with the Sens and well,, it just didnt work out for me as i'd hope. With 7 Sens it has it as 3.5 horiz and 7 vertical. I said whoa.
I put vertical down to 3.5 and i felt too slow. i tried to put both at 7 and that was a bit too much... i tried 4 and 4 and that still felt too slow where i'd pegg and end up overaiming. Especially when zooming in.

BLAH . RIP G0SU

Seriously though - new update to Plasma Caster should not go unnoticed. Super easy to get kills now. If its super easy for the G0SU, it'll be cake for everyone else. T_T

Fuchsdh

I made the mistake jumping between Arena and Slayer. Riptide with Slayer is no fun cause of the beam rifle back room camp :(

On another note - i tried to mess around with the Sens and well,, it just didnt work out for me as i'd hope. With 7 Sens it has it as 3.5 horiz and 7 vertical. I said whoa.
I put vertical down to 3.5 and i felt too slow. i tried to put both at 7 and that was a bit too much... i tried 4 and 4 and that still felt too slow where i'd pegg and end up overaiming. Especially when zooming in.

BLAH . RIP G0SU

Seriously though - new update to Plasma Caster should not go unnoticed. Super easy to get kills now. If its super easy for the G0SU, it'll be cake for everyone else. T_T

Was wrecking last week with all my REQ Plasma Casters in Warzone Assault as I finally figured out that it's the best weapon to deal with campers in the armory. Can't wait to see how much more effective it'll be with increased ammo for sticky modes. Maybe the changes to the Hydra mean I'll actually finish my commendations for it as well :p

Where is it moved?

Does anyone have a list of all the changes?

Was wrecking last week with all my REQ Plasma Casters in Warzone Assault as I finally figured out that it's the best weapon to deal with campers in the armory. Can't wait to see how much more effective it'll be with increased ammo for sticky modes. Maybe the changes to the Hydra mean I'll actually finish my commendations for it as well :p

Hyrda is solid now, pretty good CQC weapon.

I had to get used to it again a little bit since it doesnt arch anymor when you charge blast it. It just shoots straight and for a long ways. haha

Accidently shot some charged shots into the sky thinking it would arch down and pummel my enemies. :p nope. haha

So how's the server selection now with the new MM options????

Please say that it is good...

I need more time with it to give my final verdict. It feels like the same as before even though i changed my setting to FOCUSED. I believe it only focuses on skill matching instead of connection. I was hoping this choice would mean i play on the fastest server, closest to me. I dont think that is true as i experienced some nade and bullet travel delay a couple games. But i still need to give it more time and truly get a better idea come this weekend.

op_ivy

are we finally getting that rig remix, one of the first remixes teased, next update?

i don't have any issues with remixes. in fact, i like the different yet familiar looks to them and i'm sure the recycling of assets speeds up development. i do have issues with most of the remixes thus far as far as design goes. not sure if thats an issue with the remix idea (its hard to work with building a new map out of exclusively old pieces) or just an issue with design itself (possibly exacerbated by a rushed dev time)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly aside from buying digital I can't fathom how comics work as a business. Wait X months and you'll get a cheaper, more convenient form of what you're buying for three or four bucks currently.

Yeah, whatever the next series is,I will wait.

Edit: Also I like Stasis so far. Feels better than Torque for sure.

I don't like reading comics on a screen. So for me, actual comics are the only way.

Leyasu

Banned
I need more time with it to give my final verdict. It feels like the same as before even though i changed my setting to FOCUSED. I believe it only focuses on skill matching instead of connection. I was hoping this choice would mean i play on the fastest server, closest to me. I dont think that is true as i experienced some nade and bullet travel delay a couple games. But i still need to give it more time and truly get a better idea come this weekend.

Doesn't sound to promising.

Datacenter selection or we RIOT!

Lol they don't care. They have had our money.... And everybody else's that paid and quit because that is lacking. Matchmaking speed over all.

Top Bottom