• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

jem0208

yeah but wasn't it always in older games that one was faster than the other? Man 343 should release a damn guide on how to recreate older Halo games sens

To mimic a sensitivity from old Halo just set both values to half that sensitivity, so for 5 sense set it to 2.5x, 2.5y, for old 3 sense set it to 1.5x, 1.5y.

Also this shit is crazy:
9kwKkvS.gif

Karl2177

Reposting this for today. It's just under 3 hours away. I'd like a few more people in case some don't show up.

testsession-20150514-small.png

ForgeGAF test session; Saturday May 14, 2016 @ 1PM EDT(5PM GMT)

So there are a handful of maps that the community has been working on and this is our chance to get some more playtest data. The three maps shown in the banner are the three maps I will be focusing on for this session, but more can and possibly will be played. For the three focus maps, I will be running 3-4 matches on them. The first will be Slayer, just to get people oriented with the maps. The remaining gametypes will be chosen by the map author(whom I will be contacting tomorrow[5/10]).

condemnedalpha.png
The first map is Condemned Alpha by JDHarbs. It's a remake of Condemned from Halo Reach. There are only a few differences from the original version but the most notable is the interior room no longer having decreased gravity.

ethereal.png
The second is Ethereal 1.1 by Sikamikanico. It's an original design with architecture loosely inspired by Halo CE. It uses long sightlines and unique angles to provide a different spin on Halo 5's gameplay.

intercession.png
The third is Intercession Bravo by Karl2177. It's a remake of a Forge map that he made in Halo 4 with some slight modifications for Halo 5's faster gameplay. It uses a variety of jumps that can give skilled players advantages.

So there are going to be anywhere from 5-7 slots available for you guys. I just ask that you respond to this post if you are planning on attending. There will also be alternate slots in case there are no shows. I will reserve 2 slots for the map authors so that way they can bookmark the film themselves, but if they decline the spot will open up. These spots are on a first come first serve basis.

1. Karl2177
2. [Sikamikanico] (Sikamikanico)
3. [JDHarbs] (JDHarbs)
4. op_ivy (LoopOfHenle)
5. Zeta Oni (Zeta Ori)
6. singhr1 (SwathingLeopard)
7. Unfriendly TimeTraveler (xxYOUR STALKERx)
8. Zoolader (zoolader)

Alternates
13+.

Reposting this for today. It's just under 3 hours away. I'd like a few more people in case some don't show up.

So there are a handful of maps that the community has been working on and this is our chance to get some more playtest data. The three maps shown in the banner are the three maps I will be focusing on for this session, but more can and possibly will be played. For the three focus maps, I will be running 3-4 matches on them. The first will be Slayer, just to get people oriented with the maps. The remaining gametypes will be chosen by the map author(whom I will be contacting tomorrow[5/10]).

condemnedalpha.png
The first map is Condemned Alpha by JDHarbs. It's a remake of Condemned from Halo Reach. There are only a few differences from the original version but the most notable is the interior room no longer having decreased gravity.

ethereal.png
The second is Ethereal 1.1 by Sikamikanico. It's an original design with architecture loosely inspired by Halo CE. It uses long sightlines and unique angles to provide a different spin on Halo 5's gameplay.

intercession.png
The third is Intercession Bravo by Karl2177. It's a remake of a Forge map that he made in Halo 4 with some slight modifications for Halo 5's faster gameplay. It uses a variety of jumps that can give skilled players advantages.

So there are going to be anywhere from 5-7 slots available for you guys. I just ask that you respond to this post if you are planning on attending. There will also be alternate slots in case there are no shows. I will reserve 2 slots for the map authors so that way they can bookmark the film themselves, but if they decline the spot will open up. These spots are on a first come first serve basis.

1. Karl2177
3. [JDHarbs] (JDHarbs)
4. op_ivy (LoopOfHenle)
5. Zeta Oni (Zeta Ori)
8. Zoolader (zoolader)

Alternates
13+.

You can add me as an alt. GT: Furious Demise

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To mimic a sensitivity from old Halo just set both values to half that sensitivity, so for 5 sense set it to 2.5x, 2.5y, for old 3 sense set it to 1.5x, 1.5y.

Also this shit is crazy:
9kwKkvS.gif

And his team mate/Koopa gets the power weapon.

WZkreNZ.gif

I think ill stick with 7 sens (3.5 horiz 7 vert) 5 accel - tall stick
0 inner
0 outer
Idk though...

Also : stop pairing my low platinum ass with high diamond and onyx 1700s. Thanks!!!

So many frusterating games last night.....

finally played h5 campaign and boy am i underwhelmed.

1. artstyle is GARBAGE. everything is shiny and super busy, it is hard to see what it going on.

2. there are no good control options. bumper jumper would be perfect if sprint was left stick and crouch was a. seriously why the fuck is sprint on a button? makes no sense. every other control option is horrible as jump isnt on bumper.

3. cutscenes dont look as good as h3 or h2a. i cant stress this enough, the new/h4 artstyle sucks.

1. artstyle is GARBAGE. everything is shiny and super busy, it is hard to see what it going on.

2. there are no good control options. bumper jumper would be perfect if sprint was left stick and crouch was a. seriously why the fuck is sprint on a button? makes no sense. every other control option is horrible as jump isnt on bumper.

3. cutscenes dont look as good as h3 or h2a. i cant stress this enough, the new/h4 artstyle sucks.

Looking at your user name, i expected no less.

Bet you didn't even like the music or sanghelios lol. Didnt even mention the worse part that comes in 7. Lol trollllolklolololklolokokokolklolklololololololol

IHaveIce

Banned

okay.

let me guess, you play Destiny?

The first two points don't bother me, however the third I can't understand. You honestly think a nearly ten year old game has better looking cutscenes?

Artstyle is fine. Bumper Jumper is great. You clearly don't understand how strafing/crouching works in Halo if you think its better suited for a button.

i also forgot to mention the horrible ads zoom. just fills the screen with additional crap and neon lights everywhere, just give us classic halo zoom
okay.

let me guess, you play Destiny?
no i dont, i played the beta and thought it was crap. but say what u want about destiny but its artstyle is 100x better than h4/5
The first two points don't bother me, however the third I can't understand. You honestly think a nearly ten year old game has better looking cutscenes?
yes i really do, watch this scene, look how beautiful and clean it looks. h5 is way too messy. h2a is just on another level of greatness altogether, dont think anyone can deny it looks better than h5

jem0208

Not going to bother discussing the art style because that's entirely subjective (personally I think H5 has the best environment design in the series).

However your control scheme comments show you clearly don't understand the way Halo handles crouching and strafing. Initiating sprint requires a single click/button press, being able to aim isn't very important in that split second where you initiate sprint because you can't actually shoot when sprinting. Being able to aim whilst crouching on the other hand is very important because it forms a large part of H5's strafing/dodging which means you're regularly crouching mid firefight.

Having crouch on a stick makes far more sense than a button and it makes far more sense to have sprint on a button than take up one of the more important inputs on a stick.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

1. Karl2177
3. [JDHarbs] (JDHarbs)
4. op_ivy (LoopOfHenle)
5. Zeta Oni (Zeta Ori)
8. Zoolader (zoolader)

Alternates
13+.

i wont be making it, forgot i have my daughters t-ball game to attend. will anyone be streaming? i'd like to watch a rebroadcast of these maps.

IHaveIce

Banned
Imagine guys if Sprint was on stick only.

I would officially quit Halo for good.

Ofc H2A has better cutscenes, not one of them is ingame

yes i really do, watch this scene, look how beautiful and clean it looks. h5 is way too messy. h2a is just on another level of greatness altogether, dont think anyone can deny it looks better than h5

If you think that looks better than this, I honestly don't know what to tell you. It’s fine that you don't like 343i art direction, however stating H3 and H2A have better looking scenes especially from a graphical standpoint puts you into a minority.

Karl2177

condemnedalpha.png

ethereal.png

intercession.png

1. Karl2177
3. [JDHarbs] (JDHarbs)
4. op_ivy (LoopOfHenle)
5. Zeta Oni (Zeta Ori)
8. Zoolader (zoolader)

Alternates
9. Forerunner (Furious Demise)
10. nillapuddin (nillapuddin626)
13+.

Starting up now. We might need some more people, so if I see you posting here, I'm probably going to send you an invite because surely posting on neogaf can't be as good as actually playing the game.

BizzyBum

Anyone else having Req points not updating? It seems after every match if I go to my Req screen it just says loading and I have to back out to the main menu for things to update. Super annoying. Only started for me with MoR.

Also, I just played SnakeBite and his subs in Warzone Assault. I beat him in a firefight then he killed me later on and tea bagged me. :(

Zeta Oni

Starting up now. We might need some more people, so if I see you posting here, I'm probably going to send you an invite because surely posting on neogaf can't be as good as actually playing the game.

I'm micless at the moment, so ill be doing all feedback on the maps through here if that's alright.

Not going to bother discussing the art style because that's entirely subjective (personally I think H5 has the best environment design in the series).

However your control scheme comments show you clearly don't understand the way Halo handles crouching and strafing. Initiating sprint requires a single click/button press, being able to aim isn't very important in that split second where you initiate sprint because you can't actually shoot when sprinting. Being able to aim whilst crouching on the other hand is very important because it forms a large part of H5's strafing/dodging which means you're regularly crouching mid firefight.

Having crouch on a stick makes far more sense than a button and it makes far more sense to have sprint on a button than take up one of the more important inputs on a stick.

my twitch muscle is used to sprint on left stick, there is no way i can play with sprint on a button. i find it funny how 343 have a crap load of controller options yet not 1 which matches the setup of most other fps yet they shoehorn shit like ads into the game hoping to chase after that market.

If you think that looks better than this, I honestly don't know what to tell you. It’s fine that you don't like 343i art direction, however stating H3 and H2A have better looking scenes especially from a graphical standpoint puts you into a minority.
still think h3 looks better and h2a is on a different level to both, its good enough to be a film. best cutscenes i have ever seen in a game

Plasma

Banned
Anyone else having Req points not updating? It seems after every match if I go to my Req screen it just says loading and I have to back out to the main menu for things to update. Super annoying. Only started for me with MoR.

Also, I just played SnakeBite and his subs in Warzone Assault. I beat him in a firefight then he killed me later on and tea bagged me. :(

Req servers seem a bit iffy at the moment I keep having trouble connecting.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Massive delays on rewards, big delay on opening pack, can't sell things that were in the pack, then unable to join a game that was all ready to go because... ????

Typical Saturday TBH.

my twitch muscle is used to sprint on left stick, there is no way i can play with sprint on a button. i find it funny how 343 have a crap load of controller options yet not 1 which matches the setup of most other fps yet they shoehorn shit like ads into the game hoping to chase after that market.

still think h3 looks better and h2a is on a different level to both, its good enough to be a film. best cutscenes i have ever seen in a game
It's been pretty much the same bumper jumper since its introduction in halo 3. In reach, armor ability was on X. In halo 4 (eww) sprint and armor ability were on A and X. Halo classic controls has always had crouch on left stick and zoom on right stick. Default in halo 5 is something stupid like sprint on left stick and aim on left trigger, like other FPSs. I feel that doesn't work for halo, probably because I've become so accustomed to the control setup since 2007.

And don't start that ADS bullshit. It doesn't function like ADS at all, it's simply a new look to the zoom. Can't say I particularly like the change, but it's not egregious. It doesn't slow my movement speed or anything.

BizzyBum

Earlier today I joined a Warzone Assault match that was over and playing the ending cutscene. Easiest 3K XP and req pack I ever had.

I really like how 343i updating the game in several areas, but did they fix anything in Warzone except for faster req and game breaking bugs? I hoped they would at least comment on the boss stealing subject. I mean, most people do hate to get their boss snatched away from a rocket by the opposing team or am I wrong?

BizzyBum

I really like how 343i updating the game in several areas, but did they fix anything in Warzone except for faster req and game breaking bugs? I hoped they would at least comment on the boss stealing subject. I mean, most people do hate to get their boss snatched away from a rocket by the opposing team or am I wrong?

I think the reasoning behind last hit stealing is that it adds a bit of randomness and comeback opportunity for a losing team. So even if you're facing a better team there's a chance if your team kills some of the legendary bosses and with some luck you can still win. If it was based on team damage then an already good team would be pretty much unbeatable and I feel more people would just end up quitting the matches more often.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Boss stealing is cool if they paid for it. Like, if you can toss in a rocket or spartan laser at the right time, so it is. Paying for that REQ and staying out of view and timing it right are all respectable things.

What's annoying is when they steal with an AR vs 10 of your guys shooting at it because "lol last hit" or when both teams are unloading on it and it's a pure coin toss so it doesn't feel like skill determined the match.

Maybe they could do something like for the last 1 or 2% of the boss HP, which team did the most damage. Then you could still steal if you got something hefty or if 5 of you ran in and fired at once when only 2 of their guys were working on it, but not by some bullshit way. The coin toss issue would still exist, but it's a step.

Plasma

Banned
I think the team who put in the most amount of damage should get a percentage of the points as well that way even if the other team got the last hit you don't feel like you're wasting your time.

I stopped playing regular Warzone awhile ago because the last hit thing got so frustrating.

Karl2177

Sik, I'll save your films and I'll try to get them rendered from my POV. I did pretty bad on your map though... Anyways, I'm hoping I can get the Events printer done for tomorrow evening, so that way you and JD can get a bit more info on the maps.

For everyone who showed up, thanks a bunch. It's always great to hear feedback on the maps.

QFT.

T is for Terribleness

Zeta Oni

condemnedalpha.png

Great recreation, remembered the map you were going for instantly. All and all its a balanced map but on strongholds there was a distinct advantage to capturing mid point and the point located in the green zone. One capture point has a sightline to the other, making guarding those much easier, and taking them much harder

ethereal.png

Beautiful map, really liking the clash between nature and forerunner technology. The lighting is on point, overall just an aesthetically pleasing map. Spawns need a bit of work though, spawned quite a few times with enemies immediately in the vicinity, particularly around starting game spawns Other than that its a solid creation, great variety of weaponry to choose from.

intercession.png

Reminds me a bit of a Mario kart map from way back. I enjoy the vertical gameplay, really have to pay attention to every angle. Spawns need a bit of work, and I question the decision to add snipers as the power weapon in such a close range focused map. Damage boost is alot of fun though.

Overall this was alot of fun, ill be glad to hop in next time (with a mic this time) you guys are doing this, and hopefully ill have a map of my own to test.

That last map we played, refraction alpha if I'm not mistaken, I know wasn't part of the testing but it was a really fun map. Agree with whoever said it was reminding them of "The Pit"

Top Bottom