• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Madness

Community threads are boring when they are complete circle jerks of postivity. Let those who don't like thr game post their opinions. As it is almost anyone left posting here enjoys the game. People are allowed to dislike Halo 5.

Zeta Oni

Community threads are boring when they are complete circle jerks of postivity. Let those who don't like thr game post their opinions. As it is almost anyone left posting here enjoys the game. People are allowed to dislike Halo 5.

Isn't that what gaming side is for?

Lol, but seriously there is nothing wrong wth disliking a game in general, but if you come into the OT, you should be ready to defend that opinion.

Which is all that's happening.

Madness

Isn't that what gaming side is for?

Lol, but seriously there is nothing wrong wth disliking a game in general, but if you come into the OT, you should be ready to defend that opinion.

Which is all that's happening.

Why do you think they choose to stay on gaming side and not come into community threads? I won't discount that there are a lot of posters who just post garbage and want to troll/flame but others who have issues, if it goes against the popular opinion they got dogpiled.

BizzyBum

I feel like I'm joining more matches mid game after MoR. Also getting locked out of using any reqs in Warzone when this happens.

jem0208

my twitch muscle is used to sprint on left stick, there is no way i can play with sprint on a button. i find it funny how 343 have a crap load of controller options yet not 1 which matches the setup of most other fps yet they shoehorn shit like ads into the game hoping to chase after that market.

still think h3 looks better and h2a is on a different level to both, its good enough to be a film. best cutscenes i have ever seen in a game

Halo is a very different shooter to other FPS games and so functions better with a different control scheme, if you wish to keep playing the game then I recommend you get used to a scheme with crouch on left stick.

Also the ADS is almost entirely visual, mechanically it has none of the problems which standard ADS introduces.

And people are allowed to challenge them on those opinions.

Stop trying to police the thread. This is a forum, a place for discussion. If you post a controversial opinion then you should be ready to defend that opinion.

On another note, threads are infinitely better when it's a circlejerk of positivity as opposed to a circlejerk of negativity.

Well la di da

LOOK AT MR LITERATE HERE

posting impression and feedback of what he just played

Pah

Halo is a very different shooter to other FPS games and so functions better with a different control scheme, if you wish to keep playing the game then I recommend you get used to a scheme with crouch on left stick.

Also the ADS is almost entirely visual, mechanically it has none of the problems which standard ADS introduces.

Stop trying to police the thread. This is a forum, a place for discussion. If you post a controversial opinion then you should be ready to defend that opinion.

On another note, threads are infinitely better when it's a circlejerk of positivity as opposed to a circlejerk of negativity.

Yeah. Reasonable discussion and criticism should definitely not be shunned, but if I'm faced with the option of seeing a community fall into a mindless lovefest and a mindless hatefest, I know which I'd rather participate in :p

There is no shortage of people discussing their dislikes about Halo 5 around here lol. For example, I need a social playlist with AR/Pistol starts that isn't super competitive by matching me against teams while I'm matched with horrible, CoD-style teammates who just spawn and run straight to the middle of action instead of being aware of their surroundings. Then there's the issue of quitters that plague matchmaking..

And BTB Pistol starts when??

EDIT: Also what G0SU said v

Why do you think they choose to stay on gaming side and not come into community threads? I won't discount that there are a lot of posters who just post garbage and want to troll/flame but others who have issues, if it goes against the popular opinion they got dogpiled.

If that opinion is a shitpost then they deserve what they brought in and get shitposted on in return.

Evens it out imo. If it was constructive and provided some good reasons there would be discussion. Like every fucking day you already see here.. excpept if its a post like "Its not good as X!! I like that better, this game is suxor my dixor" then gtfo and go play X.

Theres a difference in presenting a negative opinion to open discussion and an opinion that is just a shitpost baiting everyone in the thread.

Aviquote circlejerk yoself:p

IHaveIce

Banned

Lmao yeah Halogaf is known for its circle jerks of positivity right?

Negativity is good but these cirticisms of HateGames were just laughable.

Elzar is a poophead.

See this a legitimate criticism

well if dude came in here with even a single legitimate complaint, we'd listen.

as it stands, he just sounds like whiney mc'whiney pants shit posting maniac.

so let us have fun, mmmmk?

MMMMMMMK?!?!?

/insert charles avatar quote here

FWIW, there's plenty of legitimate compaints to be made about H5, and they get made in here all the time.

Some of which have been addressed by the devs [in updates to the game], others which likely won't ever [ah well!].

But complaining about the art direction, controls, or ADS, because "it's not like COD and my brain expects it to be like COD"? That's shitposting at its finest.

edit: well, on second [or third] thought, complaining about the art direction is kind of fine, although i think people might find its art-style "distracting" mostly as a result of low / variable resolution & upscaling artefacts.

so slightly less shitpost, just doodoopost.

Had a blast playing with everybody and testing out the maps
truely we are the citizen Kane of map testers. Kappa
all the maps played pretty good and all looked very well crafted. Props to everybody that made those maps.

im up to the covenant home planet level or whatever it is and so far in terms of level design h5 is EASILY the best since h3. im actually having fun, if it wasnt for the controls and ads clutter this could be a really good game.
It's been pretty much the same bumper jumper since its introduction in halo 3. In reach, armor ability was on X. In halo 4 (eww) sprint and armor ability were on A and X. Halo classic controls has always had crouch on left stick and zoom on right stick. Default in halo 5 is something stupid like sprint on left stick and aim on left trigger, like other FPSs. I feel that doesn't work for halo, probably because I've become so accustomed to the control setup since 2007.

And don't start that ADS bullshit. It doesn't function like ADS at all, it's simply a new look to the zoom. Can't say I particularly like the change, but it's not egregious. It doesn't slow my movement speed or anything.
i know how ads works in halo, doesnt change the fact that its shit and clutters the whole screen up yet 343 refuses to even give us an option to disable this nonsense
look at this shit
Halo-5-Aim-Down-Sights.png

compared to this
Halo-2-20070411043848392.jpg

dude i know how to play halo, ive put hundreds of hours into each one and i would still rather have sprint on stick. sprint is much more important to me than crouch and i dont care if this makes me a bad player, im not trying to be mlg i just play social slayer

I'll never understand the "I'm just casual not tryhard" defense when someone calls out a way to improve your game or whatever.

Like saying "I prefer to do worse/be worse".

Congratulations, I guess?

Anywaaayyyyyy, Saturday Warzone/BTB lobby in like 15 minutes? Msg me "MyExWLFE" if you want in.

Trup1aya

dude i know how to play halo, ive put hundreds of hours into each one and i would still rather have sprint on stick. sprint is much more important to me than crouch and i dont care if this makes me a bad player, im not trying to be mlg i just play social slayer

Serious questions: if you've put hundreds of hours into Each Halo, exactly when did it occur to you that Sprinting should take precedence over Crouching?

There's literally no advantage to do it that way, since in this game Sprint functions well on a toggle (and you can't shoot while sprinting anyway), and you and you want to be able to aim while crouching with toggle off.

*complains about state of the game 8 months after launch*
*uses screenshot from the beta*
and how is the beta screen different to final product? its the same shit
Ads takes up less screen real estate than shooting from the hip. Don't know how people even notice
does it take up less real estate then h1/3 zoom?
I'll never understand the "I'm just casual not tryhard" defense when someone calls out a way to improve your game or whatever.

Like saying "I prefer to do worse/be worse".

Congratulations, I guess?
oh im sorry, i didnt realise when i purchased halo i was actually signing a contract that stipulated a continuous improvement agreement. strive to be mlg or be judged by gaf lmao

and no, just because im on a gaming forum doesnt automatically make me a hardcore gamer, i probably play games for around 2-3 hours a week.

Serious questions: if you've put hundreds of hours into Each Halo, exactly when did it occur to you that Sprinting should take precedence over Crouching?

There's literally no advantage to do it that way, since in this game Sprint functions well on a toggle (and you can't shoot while sprinting anyway), and you and you want to be able to aim while crouching with toggle off.
well majority of the times i use crouch in h1/reach is when im depleted of health and need to hide on the radar or im waiting to ambush. i also use crouch toggle because i hated holding down the button. rarely i used it in br battle but most times just strafe and jump.

sprint is much more important to me considering all the maps are designed around that and jumping + im too used to using stick for sprint.

Haines

Banned
I quit playing before they added any new free content because there was no punishments for quitters so most games were a joke

Dis they fix that. Because the gameplay is amazing.

oh im sorry, i didnt realise when i purchased halo i was actually signing a contract that stipulated a continuous improvement agreement. strive to be mlg or be judged by gaf lmao

i2FsOXI.gif

Wow. I realize I rub some folks the wrong way sometimes, but I thought it was a pretty innocuous post/observation. No attempt to expound on your position or explain that point better. Just jump into persecuted victim mode and act like that gives you the high ground in some imagined argument.

No one's making a skill judgment that I can see. Pretty sure everyone's legit confused by your logic.

Trup1aya

well majority of the times i use crouch in h1/reach is when im depleted of health and need to hide on the radar or im waiting to ambush. i also use crouch toggle because i hated holding down the button. rarely i used it in br battle but most times just strafe and jump.

sprint is much more important to me considering all the maps are designed around that and jumping + im too used to using stick for sprint.

hmm... So you never used crouch jumping to reach higher levels heights in previous halo's? Do you toggle sprint currently? Did you sprint using the stick in halo reach?

I just feel like you are cutting yourself out from so many options if you have sprint on stick... Especially since you can't strafe or shoot while sprinting.

link1201

I quit playing before they added any new free content because there was no punishments for quitters so most games were a joke

Dis they fix that. Because the gameplay is amazing.
There are bans for quitting. They get longer the more you quit.

Madness

Not policing anything. I just said 'let those who don't like the game post their opinions'.

Also, in my eyes an endless lovefest is just as annoying to read as pages of salt.

Not policing anything. I just said 'let those who don't like the game post their opinions'.

Also, in my eyes an endless lovefest is just as annoying to read as pages of salt.

Dang man. You dislike it when people love something that it upsets you? Like they have the opposite effect from what they do..

:( you need someone to talk to? From 1 to 10, How are you feeling?

1 = hategames 5 = elzar 10 = G0SU

TCKaos

Of course.

Right after I unlock Noble Valor I decide to save up and buy a Gold pack.

I've been waiting eight months, and there it is. That motherfucker decides to pop right after I don't need it anymore.

Well, you've gotta grind out the silvers first. Uncommons and Rares show up in both Silver and Gold packs, with Uncommons and Rares being more heavily weighted in Golds than Ultra-Rares and Legendaries, so you'll unlock them far more often.

woodland

Endless hatefest at least includes more talk about ways to improve.

Lovefest is just disgusting - see this thread about 1.5 yrs after hated releases when "it's not THAT bad" shows up

im up to the covenant home planet level or whatever it is and so far in terms of level design h5 is EASILY the best since h3. im actually having fun, if it wasnt for the controls and ads clutter this could be a really good game.

i know how ads works in halo, doesnt change the fact that its shit and clutters the whole screen up yet 343 refuses to even give us an option to disable this nonsense
look at this shit
Halo-5-Aim-Down-Sights.png

compared to this
Halo-2-20070411043848392.jpg

I agree the new "smart link" look is less than ideal on some of the weapons. I dislike the BR in particular, which is why I use the Classic BR in warzone (same scope as your second image).

As for your controls, you best option unfortunately is to get an elite controller. Alternatively, you can remap all your buttons using the Xbox accessories app. I'm not sure how it works for normal controllers, so give it a shot.

jem0208

Nobody is stopping people post negative opinions (it actually happens all the time here), we're just arguing against those opinions. Like I said this is a forum where people discuss things, if you're going to post a controversial opinion you should be prepared to defend it.

Eh, agree to disagree. Neither are good but at least a lovefest is a positive and happy place to be. Hate circlejerks are just depressing.

Also as I said this thread most definitely isn't a positive circlejerk, we just lean more towards the positive side which is 100% a good thing IMO. This thread is far better than somewhere like the Beyond H5 discussion thread (nothing against Beyond itself, that thread can be terrible though).

Well in Halo sprint is less important than crouching (in combat at least) hence why crouch is on the stick (for most control schemes). Do you dislike every game which uses a control scheme with a slight deviation from the norm? Get used to it (seriously, it's not hard) and you'll see why it's so much better.

Also I can't believe you've put hundreds of hours into every Halo but you don't like crouch on a stick, that seems ridiculous to me.

That said I really do wish we had button mapping in Halo. I know we can do it on the OS level but that fucks with everything. Personally my perfect control scheme would be:

LT - Grenade
RT - Shoot
LB - Jump
RB - Thrust
LS - Crouch
RS - Zoom
A - Sprint
B - Melee
X - Reload
Y - Change weapon

That way every single action which might be done whilst aiming can be used without lifting a thumb from the right stick. Currently I'm using Pashooter which is the closest I could get to that ideal, annoying that means jump is on A though :/

Top Bottom