• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

My launch controller is still good, but that uses a different bumper assembly. The Elite and 3.5mm uses an LB/RB assembly that's one piece. It's flexes every time you press the bumpers, unfortunately mine cracked where it runs across the home/sync buttons. I'm going to try gorilla glue. If that fails to hold, I'll try to find a replacement assembly, or mod site to get a replacement.

I'm sorry I didn't knew that and sorry for your controller

Am I the only one that actually liked Thorne? I was actually really upset hearing that he had been replaced. He was one of the only Spartan IVs in Halo 4 that actually had some "Spartan" in him, in my opinion. I hope that he returns in a future title but considering how they *Halo: Escalation spoilers*
killed off DeMarco pretty quickly as I recall
I don't think Fireteam Majestic members have a good chance of staying relevant.

By the way, whatever happened to the winner of the Spartan Ops challenge in Halo 4? I recall the grand prize being featured as a character in "a future Halo title". Was the winner in Halo 5 at all?

Also, hi HaloGAF! Been lurking since the Tom Morello Halo: Reach leak, just got my account approved last week.

Am I the only one that actually liked Thorne? I was actually really upset hearing that he had been replaced. He was one of the only Spartan IVs in Halo 4 that actually had some "Spartan" in him, in my opinion. I hope that he returns in a future title but considering how they *Halo: Escalation spoilers*
killed off DeMarco pretty quickly as I recall
I don't think Fireteam Majestic members have a good chance of staying relevant.

By the way, whatever happened to the winner of the Spartan Ops challenge in Halo 4? I recall the grand prize being featured as a character in "a future Halo title". Was the winner in Halo 5 at all?

Also, hi HaloGAF! Been lurking since the Tom Morello Halo: Reach leak, just got my account approved last week.

Welcome new guy!

Yeah, Thorne was aight. I think there's actually a decent-ish chance. Going forward, the Infinity is gonna be getting a lot more focus, and I could see secondary characters cropping up again.

I dig Thorne, I just don't thing he was built up enough for that big of a role. I liked his progression in Spartan Ops, and he wasn't bad in the comics, but I think he could do for another season of Spartan Ops before getting any kind of primary or secondary protagonist role in the main story.

I dig Thorne, I just don't thing he was built up enough for that big of a role. I liked his progression in Spartan Ops, and he wasn't bad in the comics, but I think he could do for another season of Spartan Ops before getting any kind of primary or secondary protagonist role in the main story.

C'mon. We got a terrible tv show for Locke.

I mean, I feel like at the very least he had been built up more than Tanaka or Vale considering they were created especially for Halo 5. Tanaka and Vale had their own books but Thorne had an entire game mode dedicated to his and his team's escapades (I didn't actually get far in to Escalation but he's in there too so there's that). There was a very strong base for him already established so I hope they don't backseat him in the future.

C'mon. We got a terrible tv show for Locke.

That's true. Especially a shame considering his days before ONI were a much richer place to draw from, but was ultimately squandered.

I mean, I feel like at the very least he had been built up more than Tanaka or Vale considering they were created especially for Halo 5. Tanaka and Vale had their own books but Thorne had an entire game mode dedicated to his and his team's escapades (I didn't actually get far in to Escalation but he's in there too so there's that). There was a very strong base for him already established so I hope they don't backseat him in the future.

In that entire game mode though, I couldn't tell you a single thing about him aside from he was from New Phoenix. Vale and Tanaka at least had more back story in their introductions, and they had personalities in 5. The closest Thorne got, to me, was his interactions with Halsey. Those were really interesting and could have been a great way to question the morales of what Halsey had done in a far more successful way than the Kilo Five books. Right now, he's just a Spartan that's been named.

And who knows, maybe Halo 5 would have fleshed him out perfectly. In the end I'm glad we got Buck instead.

Is there an official release date for warzone firefight yet? Also, I saw Optic won another series in week 3 of the pro league against Team Allegiance. If Optic can continue to gel as a team, I could see them finishing right in the middle of the league. But that may be generous as it is too soon to predict anything other than CLG winning it all :p

Madness

Stinkles,

I pre ordered my xbox one s. Will halo 5 receive an update to take advantage of HDR?

I appreciate your honesty.

Thank you,
G0SU

mTnNo8p.jpg
hVufToE.jpg

I want to say it's new but idk

Everything I've read officially from Microsoft says that the extra power won't be applied to games.

HDR is different. It's a mode enabled by the console to output a wider colour range, if your TV/monitor supports the feature.

Apparently, it makes games look a lot better. Gears 4 is gonna be HDR-ready on the Xbox S.

But I think developers can patch games to support it as well or I might be wrong. But anyway, that's what he was asking about.

Looks like a heavily modified darkstar, probably why it took 2(?) months.

The first screenshot looks like Darkstar, but the second looks really new. Idk if it's its own thing or what.

HDR is different. It's a mode enabled by the console to output a wider colour range, if your TV/monitor supports the feature.

Apparently, it makes games look a lot better. Gears 4 is gonna be HDR-ready on the Xbox S.

But I think developers can patch games to support it as well or I might be wrong. But anyway, that's what he was asking about.

Huh, interesting. First I've heard of it.

Trup1aya

Is there an official release date for warzone firefight yet? Also, I saw Optic won another series in week 3 of the pro league against Team Allegiance. If Optic can continue to gel as a team, I could see them finishing right in the middle of the league. But that may be generous as it is too soon to predict anything other than CLG winning it all :p

I see no path for Optic to make it into the final four, but they MAY avoid relegation.

I'm almost certain top 4 will be CLG,NV,Renegades,EG... With 2-4 being a toss up currently. EG just got swept by nV, but each game came down to EG chocking at the end (or nV clutching at the end, whichever you choose). Now that EG is practicing again, I think they'll drop nV the next time they meet, and beat RNG both times they play.

The bottom 4 is tougher to predict. ALG is talented individually, but it's no secret that they are all looking for different teams. Liquid has been terrible w/o. aPG, but have recently picked up a top AM player, he may save their season. Huke might be the best player in Halo5, but SOMETHING is holding that team back from greatness (Cratos?). And then there is Optic, who has talent, but a roster full of people who are terrible at managing priorities.

The second half of the season is going to be VERY interesting.

Regarding Halo 6...and it pains me to say it, but part of me wants them to go the Destiny route.

So a standard campaign with all the usual bells and whiatles, but it's all started from a hub world (a remote outpost where the arbiter and the Infinity crew can go out for missions etc, perhaps the Infinity itself?)

As well as the standard campaign, players can walk over to the arena training room on board Infinity for Multiplayer, and carry out Raids (set missions against the created/Forerunners etc) for co-op, Firefight etc.

Making hub world's, having items to earn for customisation, weapons for missions... Could be a really unique and revitalising take on Halo and something that could be continuously built upon.

Like many Halo fans, I think Halo 5 was a real return to form but in order to recapture that fervour that Halo generated, it needs to go all out on this kinda stuff.

Trup1aya

From Team Beyond:

https://clips.twitch.tv/lxthul/LivelyElephantPoooound

shit now im going to be even worse at this game

I really just don't understand the sandbox team sometimes... Just because an occurance was unintended, doesn't mean it's bad for the game... Ghost jumping, like slide boost before it, IMPROVED this games meta...

I just imagine some guys in there cubicle's salty because people like a mechanic that wasn't actually part of their vision, so they cut it out of spite.

Whatever happened to the "happy accident"?

singhr1

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4or9bg/343i_please_take_a_good_look_at_doom_2016/

This is exactly my thoughts.

I wish Halo campaign can go back to the glory days of 1 and 2. All this multi focus killed the series for many.

Halo 5's level design was some of the best in the series but of course it can always be better. And dont act like CE and 2 have some magical level design. At the time, sure, but now not at all. Repetitive rooms and sections, shitty enemy placement, and the veil of freedom (its all linear, dont kid yourself.. The skips are not necessarily intentional).

All this multi focus? These last two updates include updates to campaign.

It's a fucking shitty narrative now that we are a few months out after people finished the campaign that many people associate the dissapointing story with the rest of the campaign, like level design.

Akai__

The last update, that had 2 maps and the Firefight Beta, was already 8.3GB. This one has 4 maps, full Firefight and Campaign Scoring.

Wonder how large this update will be?

I really just don't understand the sandbox team sometimes... Just because an occurance was unintended, doesn't mean it's bad for the game... Ghost jumping, like slide boost before it, IMPROVED this games meta...

I just imagine some guys in there cubicle's salty because people like a mechanic that wasn't actually part of their vision, so they cut it out of spite.

343i Pro Team™

Fuchsdh

Yeah but I think the idea of "building up" characters specifically hasn't been 343's strong suit. Nightfall was forgettable, I was more positive on Hunters in the Dark than many but as a showcase for Vale it's nothing special. Tanaka's role in Escalation was a bit more organic, I suppose. Either way, there's something to be said for throwing in characters and letting them "breathe" more naturally. In and among Harupsis' raged-filled rants about Halo's story I think he's right that 343 missed a few opportunities to have the characters just shoot the shit about what was going on and give us more of a feel for them and their relationships.

The last update, that had 2 maps and the Firefight Beta, was already 8.3GB. This one has 4 maps, full Firefight and Campaign Scoring.

Wonder how large this update will be?

343i Pro Team™
I imagine that most of the firefight stuff is going to be server side, but with all the maps, I imagine it'll clock in around 15-18GB

The first screenshot looks like Darkstar, but the second looks really new. Idk if it's its own thing or what.

Huh, interesting. First I've heard of it.

Yeah so far Gears 4, horizon 3, scalebound, and sea of theives are suppose to be HDR ready i believe. Mainly first party published so far. :) if you don't have a hdr capable tv set you wont see any difference though. Its just for us 4ktv ppl with hdr10 enabled sets :p. Tier 0 folks. :eek:

I think slide boost needed to be removed. It could break some maps flow because they are too small. I don't think it was good for the game that you could reach a power weapon that fast, for example.
Ghost jumping doesn't make sense though

Trup1aya

I think slide boost needed to be removed. It could break some maps flow because they are too small. I don't think it was good for the game that you could reach a power weapon that fast, for example.
Ghost jumping doesn't make sense though

Debatable, with slide boost you could get to pwr weapons quickly, but you could also quickly get into position to defend against that. Everyone was on an even playing field. I think there were some issues on asymmetrical maps, but that probably could have could have been solved with some carefully placed forge peices...

But your right, there is absolutely no reason to remove ghost jumping... All it did was allow people who aren't dependent on radar to create a gap between those who are...

Top Bottom