• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Debatable, with slide boost you could get to pwr weapons quickly, but you could also quickly get into position to defend against that. Everyone was on an even playing field. I think there were some issues on asymmetrical maps, but that probably could have could have been solved with some carefully placed forge peices...

But your right, there is absolutely no reason to remove ghost jumping... All it did was allow people who aren't dependent on radar to create a gap between those who are...

yeah, the first one has it's pros and cons, but the second one literally only increases the skill gap

Mistel

Banned
welcome back stormtrooper
Yeah its nice to be back.
So jump on for an Arena match before bed...again fuck this team wins only bullshit:

Screenshot-Original.png

Again I stopped playing.
How do you have such bad luck with teams?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I see no path for Optic to make it into the final four, but they MAY avoid relegation.

I'm almost certain top 4 will be CLG,NV,Renegades,EG... With 2-4 being a toss up currently. EG just got swept by nV, but each game came down to EG chocking at the end (or nV clutching at the end, whichever you choose). Now that EG is practicing again, I think they'll drop nV the next time they meet, and beat RNG both times they play.

The bottom 4 is tougher to predict. ALG is talented individually, but it's no secret that they are all looking for different teams. Liquid has been terrible w/o. aPG, but have recently picked up a top AM player, he may save their season. Huke might be the best player in Halo5, but SOMETHING is holding that team back from greatness (Cratos?). And then there is Optic, who has talent, but a roster full of people who are terrible at managing priorities.

The second half of the season is going to be VERY interesting.

i'd throw e6 in that top group (2-5) for sure. they are a bit like renegades though in that you are never quite sure what team will shop up on any given day. funny, a bit like the old huke/bubu denial squad.

op_ivy

From Team Beyond:

I really just don't understand the sandbox team sometimes... Just because an occurance was unintended, doesn't mean it's bad for the game... Ghost jumping, like slide boost before it, IMPROVED this games meta...

I just imagine some guys in there cubicle's salty because people like a mechanic that wasn't actually part of their vision, so they cut it out of spite.

Whatever happened to the "happy accident"?

damn, while i wasnt crouch jumping a lot i have definitely been incorporating the thrust slide crouch jump into my gameplay. amazing how you can get the jump on people when you fly in off radar.

but, its an abuse of the system and isnt supposed to work that way. remove it

Trup1aya

i'd throw e6 in that top group (2-5) for sure. they are a bit like renegades though in that you are never quite sure what team will shop up on any given day. funny, a bit like the old huke/bubu denial squad.

I think as we come down to the home stretch,

1 CLG will be top seed (of course).
2-3 will be a dog fight between nV and EG
4-5 will be a dog fight between RNG and E6
6-8 will close between liquid, optic and ALG... All depending on if Optic gets serious or not.

Trup1aya

damn, while i wasnt crouch jumping a lot i have definitely been incorporating the thrust slide crouch jump into my gameplay. amazing how you can get the jump on people when you fly in off radar.

but, its an abuse of the system and isnt supposed to work that way. remove it

It isn't SUPPOSED to work that way.... As in they didn't plan for it... But it made the game better. Now corner camping will be overly effective, AGAIN!!! And now more ring around the rosey! I think they should be working to make the system better. Not clinging to failed ideas, especially when theis stumble upon a better mechanic.

op_ivy

I think as we come down to the home stretch,

1 CLG will be top seed (of course).
2-3 will be a dog fight between nV and EG
4-5 will be a dog fight between RNG and E6
6-8 will close between liquid, optic and ALG... All depending on if Optic gets serious or not.

i love nV, and they are on fire now, but i expect them at the bottom of that 2-5 group. of course we might see a bit of a shakeup next week with roster changes.

RyanW

The last update, that had 2 maps and the Firefight Beta, was already 8.3GB. This one has 4 maps, full Firefight and Campaign Scoring.

Wonder how large this update will be?

343i Pro Team™

The Pro Team doesn't have a say in everything that goes on in MP. They're just like every other tester but with a different name.

Trup1aya

i love nV, and they are on fire now, but i expect them at the bottom of that 2-5 group. of course we might see a bit of a shakeup next week with roster changes.

nV seems to consistently get better every week, unlike RNG and e6. I'm almost certain 2nd place will be between nV and EG. Mickwen and Pistola are quickly becoming one of the hotter duo's.

Akai__

MCC and Halo 5 are threatening to take over 75% of my hard drive :p

Yup. Not sure, but Halo 5 is probably the biggest game currently. Wished the 343i could compress the files somehow. I'd expect these file sized from a big open world game, but not from a Halo game.

The Pro Team doesn't have a say in everything that goes on in MP. They're just like every other tester but with a different name.

op_ivy

nV seems to consistently get better every week, unlike RNG and e6. I'm almost certain 2nd place will be between nV and EG. Mickwen and Pistola are quickly becoming one of the hotter duo's.

i think both e6 and rng have a higher ceiling. the best rng and the best e6 would wipe the floor with the best nV. nVs success seems to be at least in part due to other teams being under practiced and/or under performing. EG is kind of a big question mark right now. while i expect them to rebound in the coming weeks as they get practice in again, i'm not sure they'll reclaim the definitive #2 spot again.

happy fathers day to all of halo dads out there pulling the PlzUnderstand card when the going gets tough:p

Me included.

Gonna bbq some shishakobs today! Cant wait.

Of course if your a deadbeat dad who doesnt give two fuks about your children then you can go catch the flu or something. You get no priase from me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles,

I pre ordered my xbox one s. Will halo 5 receive an update to take advantage of HDR?

I appreciate your honesty.

Thank you,
G0SU

I actually don't know. If it's required to reship assets, like shaders and so on, then probably not. Too many things to break, too huge an update. If there's a magic dial to increase the gamut and range, then maybe. I suspect there is no magic dial though.

Trup1aya

i think both e6 and rng have a higher ceiling. the best rng and the best e6 would wipe the floor with the best nV. nVs success seems to be at least in part due to other teams being under practiced and/or under performing. EG is kind of a big question mark right now. while i expect them to rebound in the coming weeks as they get practice in again, i'm not sure they'll reclaim the definitive #2 spot again.

nV has only lost 1 series and they are much better now than when they lost to e6 in game 5. E6 appears to have regressed. I think we've seen the best RNG and the best e6 already. And they don't show their best consistenly. I don't think we've seen all of what nV has in store.

EG is a question mark. But currently the core 3 aren't even playing like themselves. If they could just get back to where they were mechanically, there aren't many teams that could consistently beat them in 5 game series.

Stole this from TB (again)

AobMeoH.jpg

CLGs entire team is playing above the line of regression as in NV. No surprise that they are in first and second place right now. I suspect if they made this same graph with this weekends stats included, nV would be shifted higher and to the right.

E6 appears to be getting massively carried by Huke. And Ninja would be a bit more effective at carrying RNG, if he didn't die so much.

EGs core is currently middling, but I suspect they have the individual talent to right the ship. E6 is lost without Huke. I can't call that upside. RNG and EG appear pretty close currently.

My god if RNG or EG were able to steal Huke...

I actually don't know. If it's required to reship assets, like shaders and so on, then probably not. Too many things to break, too huge an update. If there's a magic dial to increase the gamut and range, then maybe. I suspect there is no magic dial though.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Edit:
And that makes sense. Heres to crossing my fingers the wizarda at 343i find a solution :p but i wont hype myself up.

Fuchsdh

Stupid lazy devs, not putting magic dials in their games. They could probably tighten up the graphics on level three up to 11 too, but nooooo

Finally got five games on HW2 in, and I haven't gotten a competent teammate yet. People seem weirdly fixated on hunkering down and throwing only massive armies at each other, which I think has something to do with how hard it feels to do damage to bases (or how badly that damage is conveyed.)

Regarding Halo 6...and it pains me to say it, but part of me wants them to go the Destiny route.

So a standard campaign with all the usual bells and whiatles, but it's all started from a hub world (a remote outpost where the arbiter and the Infinity crew can go out for missions etc, perhaps the Infinity itself?)

As well as the standard campaign, players can walk over to the arena training room on board Infinity for Multiplayer, and carry out Raids (set missions against the created/Forerunners etc) for co-op, Firefight etc.

Making hub world's, having items to earn for customisation, weapons for missions... Could be a really unique and revitalising take on Halo and something that could be continuously built upon.

Like many Halo fans, I think Halo 5 was a real return to form but in order to recapture that fervour that Halo generated, it needs to go all out on this kinda stuff.

On a similar note, one thing I'm hoping is that with how character-driven 343's approach to 5 was, we get an almost RPG party-style setup with improvements made to the Musketeer AI systems - with 4-player co-op or 3 AI companions like before, but in an almost class-based fashion. You start out with Osiris and Blue Team as the teammates you can add to your fireteam per mission, and you can likewise customize their loadouts to a certain degree - Fred could have a DMR and an AR or a BR and throwing knives, etc. and each character would also have perks that could be somewhat customized per mission that would resemble the Player Trait functionality we've already seen in customs. You'd have a certain amount of "loadout points" that could go into each character (but they aren't locked-in like in a skill tree sense; every loadout option just happens to have a resource cost for balance reasons), and eventually you'd "recruit" more party members that could go on missions with you, such as the Arbiter, Thorne, Exuberant, etc. Just as an example, let's take H5G's existing "loadout" for Tanaka and then play with it a little bit, assigning some arbitrary loadout point values to stuff:

TANAKA - Default Configuration (30 pts total available):
Primary: DMR (5 pts)
Secondary: Magnum (Free)
Grenades: Frag x2 (Free)
Perk 1: Enhanced Sensors (15 pts)
- Motion Sensor remains active while in smart scope. Motion Tracker range increased to 40M.
Perk 2: Reflex Enhancers (5 pts)
- Reduced cooldown and increased distance on Thruster evade.
Perk 3: Calibrated Stabilizers (5 pts)
- Slower stabilizer descent.

TANAKA - Mixed Technician (30 pts total available):
Primary: DMR (5 pts)
Secondary: Plasma Pistol (3 pts)
Grenades: Frag x1 (Free), Plasma x1 (2 pts)
Perk 1: Shield Buffering (15 pts)
- Piloted vehicles without shielding are granted a layer of energy shields; vehicles with existing shielding are granted overshielding.
Perk 2: Tech Medic (5 pts)
- Vehicles in a 20M range heal more quickly over time.
Perk 3: Not Available

TANAKA - Hardline Assault (30 pts total available):
Primary: Grenade Launcher (10 pts)
Secondary: SMG (3 pts)
Grenades: Frag x3 (2 pts)
Perk 1: Death From Above (10 pts)
- Ground Pound has shortened charge time, faster falling speed and a higher blast radius, damage and knockback effect.
Perk 2: Increased Strength (5 pts)
- Melee attacks and Spartan Charge have additional range, knockback and damage.
Perk 3: Not Available

Most of the perks would be available across several characters, though some could be exclusive (like Tanaka having an ambient vehicle repair ability).

Sai

Trying to get a lil' time in with the Halo Wars 2 Open Beta, and I can't get past that introduction that prompts you to press A. Anybody find a workaround for this?

And sorry if it's been asked a hundred times already. :x

because we need convoluted perk systems, loadout and fireteams.

just give us better Written characters.This is Halo, not Mass Effect. Do that in a side-game.

Campaign's whatever. The multiplayer Arena / Warzone / Customs trichotomy is fine as-is (outside of a custom game browser), but if they want to shove the experimental sandbox-on-steroids anywhere, I'd rather it be campaign or Spartan Ops 2 than MP.

Fuchsdh

Regarding Halo 6...and it pains me to say it, but part of me wants them to go the Destiny route.

So a standard campaign with all the usual bells and whiatles, but it's all started from a hub world (a remote outpost where the arbiter and the Infinity crew can go out for missions etc, perhaps the Infinity itself?)

As well as the standard campaign, players can walk over to the arena training room on board Infinity for Multiplayer, and carry out Raids (set missions against the created/Forerunners etc) for co-op, Firefight etc.

Making hub world's, having items to earn for customisation, weapons for missions... Could be a really unique and revitalising take on Halo and something that could be continuously built upon.

Like many Halo fans, I think Halo 5 was a real return to form but in order to recapture that fervour that Halo generated, it needs to go all out on this kinda stuff.

Given that it seems like at one point a hub world concept on the Infinity was planned for the Osiris missions, I'd say it's possible or even likely we get a similar idea. With where the universe is going, a home base with some optional objectives and then the main mission or just a few ODST-style in-any-order missions before the ones you have to go on would work from a storytelling aspect, if they wanted to go that route.

Halo isnt a thing according to gaming side. Shrugs, it's all fucking opinions man.

Competitive Halo isn't a thing according to gaming side.

I think its clear as day that gaming side dislikes anything attached to xbox/ms. A large majority comment this way.

Even so when its the face of xbox gaming, its fulll throttle to pull down ya pants and shit allll over it. However, Theyre are a few people who keep it neutral though, and those are the ones with the best comments imo.

I try not to comment cause it goes intl some condescending marry go round where we dont contribute to the main topic at all. Like the announcement of scorpio. Lol

Im just really happy i have this halo thread to speak about halo, and you guys, somewhat, dont mind me going off-topic time to time. There isnt anywhere else i know that id like to talk and read about halo.

Really appreciatw this small community we got here.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
In that Thurrott thread when people were complaining that it is basically a MS website I felt like saying how is that any different than Gaf saying Sony won E3 since Gaf is basically a Sony website.

In that Thurrott thread when people were complaining that it is basically a MS website I felt like saying how is that any different than Gaf saying Sony won E3 since Gaf is basically a Sony website.

And that would be answered with "Well, last generation, the Xbox 360 was GAF's darling." Whatever that means.

Been stalking this forum since 2009. I must've missed a hell of a lot of bandwagon 360 fan threads.

op_ivy

Im just really happy i have this halo thread to speak about halo, and you guys, somewhat, dont mind me going off-topic time to time. There isnt anywhere else i know that id like to talk and read about halo.

Really appreciatw this small community we got here.

Let's celebrate with some hotdog canon gifs!

That Thurrott site is fairly up MS's ass, from what I saw, but yeah. GAF got it bad for the Sony :D

Shoowwww meeeeee

Plus stopping power doss happen with autos right? Or am i just suckzor?

Depends on the weapon, autos do show SP more, and in Warzone weapons with forerunner tech (all the kinetic bolts variants and Blaze of Glory) have more stopping power to vehicles than normal counterparts.

Leyasu

Banned

Holy shit, people actually voice those sort of things around here!! Even though it's true. lol

Say that gaming side and you'll be in big trouble I should imagine

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, people actually voice those sort of things around here!! Even though it's true. lol

Say that gaming side and you'll be in big trouble I should imagine

Fuck the gaming side *hides in this thread, lol

I'm too old for that shit!

That Thurrott site is fairly up MS's ass, from what I saw, but yeah. GAF got it bad for the Sony :D

He covers MS for a living but is far from up their ass for anyone who knows anything about him.

Top Bottom