• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Ade

Just me who still regularly enjoys H5 and doesn't throw toys out of pram when I get spanked? 343 goofed on some things, but some of you don't know how lucky you are, imo.

/elitist
/condescending

I'm still loving it, play daily. For every time MM ducks me over it does me a favour in another game.

Trup1aya

Since we are in rant mode:

I think the MM system worked fine at launch, but it requires a larger playerbase that said we've got:

Matchmaking: no datacenter selection, no soloQ, no MMR-free social

Playlists: no team objective, no action sack, the weekly social 'experiment' has been a joke. We could also use a community Forge playlist so we could test and select maps for matchmaking. I guaruntee the community would do a better job at this than 343.

Gametypes: we currently have 2 more official gametypes than we had at launch. GrifBall and infection. Neither of which appeal to the serious side of the community. 343s Assualt was terrible. Still no oddball, koth, VIP, Regicide, asymmetric gametypes, riccoche. No race either.

Sandbox: spartan abilities are cool. I'm cool with powerful autos. I'm even cool with radar. But when you take out ghost-jumping, THE effective way to use Spartan abilities to counter radar-watchers camping with powerful autos, I'm like "343what the fuck did I ever do to you besides buy all of your games? Seriously what are you thinking? You aren't thinking, are you? Do enjoy watching the gameplay come to an absolute crawl? Also BTB needs pistol starts, badly. I'm done with that mode until then.

Population Retention: daily win packs were a nice start... Why did you stop there? Where are the cumulative daily rewards, where are the free weekends, where are the free trials? Why is double XP limited to the generally shitty weekly social playlist. What about a double RP weekend? Do you not realize that platinums get soloq'd Against teams of diamonds? Where is 343s aggression in this regard?

Maps: the remix/ variant idea needs to die in a fire. Seriously if you pull this shit with H6, I'm out. no dev made BTB maps is laughable, as is the quality of some of the community maps selected by 343

Reqs: I'm ok with the idea of a req system. Execution leaves much to be desired. the RNG packs should be weapons/powerups/vehicles/boosts only. Cosmetics should be purchaseable with RP and some exclusive to commendations

Streams: the stupid montages are fine for the CUs. But please get that out of the pro league presentation. People are coming to see competitive halo, and you think it's cool to fill the broadcast with hrs worth of forge racetracks and snipers taking advantage of a terrible spawn system? My understanding is Team Beyond has offered to let 343 use their content, but the process is overly convoluted. Y u do dis? Also why can't we link to these streams from inside the game? Seems like a missed opportunity to get viewers. I've turned people into fans by showing them league matches- people who otherwise wouldn't have known pro halo existed.

I could go on forever. Removing ghost-jumping has triggered me lol

I think the MM system worked fine at launch, but it requires a larger playerbase that said we've got:

Playlists: no team objective, no action sack, the weekly social 'experiment' has been a joke. We could also use a community Forge playlist so we could test and select maps for matchmaking. I guaruntee the community would do a better job at this than 343.

Gametypes: we currently have 2 more official gametypes than we had at launch. GrifBall and infection. Neither of which appeal to the serious side of the community. 343s Assualt was terrible. Still no oddball, koth, VIP, Regicide, asymmetric gametypes, riccoche. No race either.

Sandbox: spartan abilities are cool. I'm cool with powerful autos. I'm even cool with radar. But when you take out ghost-jumping, THE effective way to use Spartan abilities to counter radar-watchers camping with powerful autos, I'm like "343what the fuck did I ever do to you besides but all of your games? Seriously what are you thinking? You aren't thinking, are you? Do enjoy watching the gameplay come to an absolute crawl? Also BTB needs pistol starts, badly. I'm done with that mode until then.

Population Retention: daily win packs were a nice start... Why did you stop there? Where are the cumulative daily rewards, where are the free weekends, where are the free trials? Why is double XP limited to the generally shitty weekly social playlist. What about a double RP weekend? Do you not realize that platinums get soloq'd Against teams of diamonds? Where is 343s aggression in this regard?

Maps: the remix/ variant idea needs to die in a fire. Seriously if you pull this shit with H6, I'm out. no dev made BTB maps is laughable, as is the quality of some of the community maps selected by 343

Reqs: I'm ok with the idea of a req system. Execution leaves much to be desired. the RNG packs should be weapons/powerups/vehicles/boosts only. Cosmetics should be purchaseable with RP and some exclusive to commendations

Streams: the stupid montages are fine for the CUs. But please get that out of the pro league presentation. People are coming to see competitive halo, and you think it's cool to fill the broadcast with hrs worth of forge racetracks and snipers taking advantage of terrible a spawn system. My understanding is Team Beyond has offered to let 343 use their content, but the process is overly convoluted. Y u do dis? Also why can't we link to these streams from inside the game? Seems like a missed opportunity to get viewers. I've turned people into fans by showing then league matches who otherwise wouldn't have known it existed.

Not even snipping all that as I agree with all of it. Great post mate!

Thanks! 343 is on to something with this formula. They've been responsive to criticism in some ways but stubborn/slow to act in others. It's frustrating.

If I didn't love this game and franchise so much, these issues wouldn't make me so angry/salty/sad

I agree they really have a great foundation of gameplay and more now e.g. UI, esports, WZ, Arena. Here's hoping it hits massive with H6!

Sandbox: spartan abilities are cool. I'm cool with powerful autos. I'm even cool with radar. But when you take out ghost-jumping, THE effective way to use Spartan abilities to counter radar-watchers camping with powerful autos, I'm like "343what the fuck did I ever do to you besides buy all of your games? Seriously what are you thinking? You aren't thinking, are you? Do enjoy watching the gameplay come to an absolute crawl? Also BTB needs pistol starts, badly. I'm done with that mode until then.

Streams: the stupid montages are fine for the CUs. But please get that out of the pro league presentation. People are coming to see competitive halo, and you think it's cool to fill the broadcast with hrs worth of forge racetracks and snipers taking advantage of a terrible spawn system? My understanding is Team Beyond has offered to let 343 use their content, but the process is overly convoluted. Y u do dis? Also why can't we link to these streams from inside the game? Seems like a missed opportunity to get viewers. I've turned people into fans by showing them league matches- people who otherwise wouldn't have known pro halo existed.

Am i the only one whos req points and cards take forever to load when the game boots up and after games? I have all my ports open and its happening every time. Halos network seems incredibly slow.

Our expectations are in line for a developer specifically created to maintain the Halo franchise. This is Xbox's main priority, their top first party developer. It may change when Gears 4 releases, but i doubt they hold any other 1st party group any higher in regard to the face of Xbox.

This game should be a stepping stone of how to use all of the Xbox services. When Matchmaking and Azure servers start to buckle down and become worse than other games, there is a very legitimate reason to be 'salty'. To me, it's more of Tough Love.

Also, a lot of people in this thread seem to come across issues and ultimetly end up not having any fun. Why would any developer want to coast on that and cross their fingers hoping the next game will make it up for them?

AS for me, i love this game and love the gunplay. However i feel indifferent when im searching for games in Arena/Slayer. I don't feel any benefit from choosing the 3 options. As my connection will always be a gamble no matter what i choose. I already had video of teleporting spartans while in Focused. So that doesn't seem to work as intended. Matching against players 5+ tiers higher than me seems like a problem. Ultimetly ends up in a blow out. After that game i didnt play for 3+ days i think. Each game should be fun, or atleast be close to fun on a meter from fun to frusterating.

Anywho, even with my rant i still have this disk in my xbox 24/7. I eagerly await more news on the next mainline Halo.

Even within MS 1st party studios, there are Turn 10 and Playground games as the prime example of pushing out quality, polished titles with a timely fashion, while also being the true technical showcase for the platform. Not saying 343 is incompetent cause their job at H5 is great but thing can be better, especially with all the playlists and community mismanagement going on...

citizenkaneclapping.gif

Yep you're spot on with that post. I have no idea why we don't have permanent playlists like superfiesta and social slayer/objective. The quick fixes to interesting aspects of the game like ghost jumping is silly while autos being so powerful are even more op with radar on. The ranking system is really bad. And why is 343 okay with letting the general population of solo players bleed out instead of making a solo queue? That is my biggest question. Good game. Bad marketing. Even worse playlist management. Bad maps without ever getting forge maps added to slayer for some new variety is mind blowing. I was willing to pay money for halo 5 req packs because I assumed it would get better support as a result. But so far as a solo player I feel like I've been largely disregarded by 343. They seem more interested in adding a bunch of new reqs, including ugly armor that no one in their right mind is interested in grinding for, each month that flood an already long and unrewarding req grind instead of addressing better playlist offerings, forge map variety, and support for players who play mostly solo. Halo 6 would not get my support If this is the kind of management I can expect for it. Love seeing forge maps continue to be inserted into niche playlists or worse temporary playlists.

Even within MS 1st party studios, there are Turn 10 and Playground games as the prime example of pushing out quality, polished titles with a timely fashion, while also being the true technical showcase for the platform. Not saying 343 is incompetent cause their job at H5 is great but thing can be better, especially with all the playlists and community mismanagement going on...

Spot on. I forgot about them. Every Forza game is quite an amazing experience. Even thought i dont like racing games as much, each time i play them i get some type of feeling. lol

Our expectations are in line for a developer specifically created to maintain the Halo franchise. This is Xbox's main priority, their top first party developer. It may change when Gears 4 releases, but i doubt they hold any other 1st party group any higher in regard to the face of Xbox.

This game should be a stepping stone of how to use all of the Xbox services.

Totally agree 100% on that. They need to set the standard for xbox and Live just like Bungie did and theyre not.

Not to take away from Playground games, im sure theyre great dev but they should not be in the same league as 343 and right now, IMO theyre above them. The polish, details and seamless coop integration, forza horizon 3 looks absolutely amazing.

MS need to do something with 343 and fast. If they cant handle the pressure and deliver, get people who can.

Karl2177

I've said it before, I'll say it again. 343i's game infrastructure needs to change. Psyonix has shown us that it is possible to search multiple playlists that have different party sizes at the same time. Let's bring that to Halo.

One thing that I think is fairly clear at this point is that there was SOMETHING up with 343's pipeline this time around. Thus H5 launching in such a barebones condition. Could just be that they ended up devoting all their time and effort to the base gameplay loop with the new abilities, could be them struggling to ensure that any networking issues with this one would NOT be on their end (not that that's actually been the case 100% of the time), could be a some behind-the-scenes shakeups, could just be a difficult engine transition. But something happened, and it's clear that overall they're disinclined to mess with the existing formula at this point, thus the reluctance to do stuff like a social playlist or a solo queue. And I get that, I do. It's not perfect, but what they've got now works, and being wary of messing with it is understandable.

Hopefully, for Halo 6, they'll have sorted out whatever slowed them down so much this go 'round, and we can get the game we want at launch; custom games browser, smarter matchmaking options, more content. Because it's pretty clear to me that it's not coming to 5.

I hereby dare Stinklez to prove me wrong :D

TCKaos

You ok bruh?

Yeah man I'm fine. Just everybody needs to GO FOR FUCKING MONUMENT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME

Yeah I have no clue why the matchmaking algorithm can't just ignore MMR or whatever for social playlists. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

but in terms of other modes, aren't you high onyx/champ? Seems obvious you would match pros.

I have a feeling they're too busy with Halo 6 now to make too many changes to Halo 5.

I predict that after this June update, we won't have much

I was really hoping that this would be addressed in the latest CU. Maybe they'll talk about it on stream?

Trup1aya

Then when you realize playground isn't even first party, it gets even worse 😔

Halo 5 assault is better than previous iterations. Other than that I'd agree.

I'm not really familiar with nuetral bomb Assualt, but I greatly prefer the asymmetrical Assualt from halo 2 over what we have now.

Halo5's Assualt would be fantastic if they didn't impliment the instant reset system. How many games finished 0-0 because scoring required you to hold off the enemy for 2 spawn cycles, while being down a man? How does that get through play testing.

All they had to do was make it so that arming progress is only reset by scoring OR remove resets altogether. The game would be instantly more interesting.... It's the only 4v4 gametype added since launch, it's been in since February, and ain't been fixed yet....

Feelsbadman

Yeah man I'm fine. Just everybody needs to GO FOR FUCKING MONUMENT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME

I was really hoping that this would be addressed in the latest CU. Maybe they'll talk about it on stream?

Well if we still get a teaser at the end, then I suppose it'll still go on.

Keep in mind they still have to (well...not HAVE to) release a WZA variant of the new Sanghelios map.

Also, fuck monument

#garagestrats

Camp-in-a-corner tracker

As someone one that is thoroughly in the stay in a corner and run up to melee camp it doesn't win you games.

I've had to tell myself on many occasions to move after about 10 seconds of sitting still. It's not worth sitting around any more. Back when FFA was 8 players that strategy might have worked but now with less players you're literally wasting time while the guy in first runs away with the game. And in team games unless you're anchoring for your team in the correct location you've now made your team weaker by not having 4 active players.

I know how some hate on the radar and maybe back in the day in 8 man FFAs with a 25M radar it was too large an advantage to not play certain ways but these days I've really had to adjust my playstyle to accommodate the new gameplay.

Being an old school Reach camper just doesn't play the same any more. Sure, it's viable some of the time but H5 is far more balanced than any other iteration.

Fuchsdh

As someone one that is thoroughly in the stay in a corner and run up to melee camp it doesn't win you games.

I've had to tell myself on many occasions to move after about 10 seconds of sitting still. It's not worth sitting around any more. Back when FFA was 8 players that strategy might have worked but now with less players you're literally wasting time while the guy in first runs away with the game. And in team games unless you're anchoring for your team in the correct location you've now made your team weaker by not having 4 active players.

I know how some hate on the radar and maybe back in the day in 8 man FFAs with a 25M radar it was too large an advantage to not play certain ways but these days I've really had to adjust my playstyle to accommodate the new gameplay.

Being an old school Reach camper just doesn't play the same any more. Sure, it's viable some of the time but H5 is far more balanced than any other iteration.

Yeah that's why I've never gotten the complaints. In most modes sitting around waiting for enemies is just going to lose you the game. Camp the objective? Smart players are wary, and you're leaving your team a man down to make big plays. Halo 5 especially rewards players who are mobile.

TCKaos

Well if we still get a teaser at the end, then I suppose it'll still go on.

Keep in mind they still have to (well...not HAVE to) release a WZA variant of the new Sanghelios map.

Also, fuck monument

#garagestrats

I mean the Meridian map we're getting looks to be completely different from Darkstar - wholly original outside of the reuse of a few visual assets and... Armories. I think if that goes down well then 343 would probably mix up their strategy a bit.

Also the only #garagestrat is getting fucking obliterated because you can't quickly react to the one opposite of you getting captured in the same way you could if you controlled monument and you have far more limited access to bosses.

Trup1aya

Yeah that's why I've never gotten the complaints. In most modes sitting around waiting for enemies is just going to lose you the game. Camp the objective? Smart players are wary, and you're leaving your team a man down to make big plays. Halo 5 especially rewards players who are mobile.

of course it's situational. But it becomes to effective a strat when radar makes the only way to turn a corner without alerting is to crawl.

It got to the point where I wouldn't go through a doorway without ghost-jumping... In the early days I surprised a lot of campers that way... In the later days noticed there were far fewer campers (probably tired of getting surprised by ghost-jumpers).

Now 343 is giving the ok to start pitching tents.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
nV seems to consistently get better every week, unlike RNG and e6. I'm almost certain 2nd place will be between nV and EG. Mickwen and Pistola are quickly becoming one of the hotter duo's.

RNG 7 - 0 nV last night :O

Yeah, I learned early on in FFAs in H5 that although a lot of games would end with me having the fewest deaths I was only averaging around 3rd place in most games. Like you said smart players are wary and you can only catch the same two guys off guard so many times. I've definitely had to become a more balanced player in 5. So when players get frustrated at someone doing something well in close range I'm the first to say it's harder than its ever been to get that playstyle right.

I mean it breaks my heart to say but I have had more success with ground pounds than I have with swords this game.

I also think some of the weird shit in this games comes from the pro team. It's a great idea but those guys have preferences too. Maybe they should cycle tosser guys out. It's gotta get boring testing the same game for years. Ultimately, their input is how the game rolls.

Trup1aya

Yeah, I learned early on in FFAs in H5 that although a lot of games would end with me having the fewest deaths I was only averaging around 3rd place in most games. Like you said smart players are wary and you can only catch the same two guys off guard so many times. I've definitely had to become a more balanced player in 5. So when players get frustrated at someone doing something well in close range I'm the first to say it's harder than its ever been to get that playstyle right.a

I mean it breaks my heart to say but I have had more success with ground pounds than I have with swords this game.

I have a pretty tough time with swords in H5. other people seem to be able to time the ADS lunge inbetween getting shot in order to get kills. I wonder if this is easier for people using LT to zoom

Trup1aya

I don't understand 343''s obsession with camping. They could not have made it more viable. Maybe crouching shouldn't disable radar anymore.

At this point, they'd be better off having everyone show up on radar at all times.

Or better yet, make it so that the only way to stay of radar is to move.

Lol I'm not even being sarcastic

I also think some of the weird shit in this games comes from the pro team. It's a great idea but those guys have preferences too. Maybe they should cycle tosser guys out. It's gotta get boring testing the same game for years. Ultimately, their input is how the game rolls.

I have to believe that 343 ignores the proteam when it comes to a lot of this issues. I can't imagine that people who played halo proffessionally would advocate for having radar at all.

Radar that only shows people using Spartan Abilities is still the best possibility.

Though it will never happen it seems.

I want PC Halo to finally get Halo back on the map

No lies detected

Top Bottom