• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Well fuck us then I guess. RIP.

nqKd0GE.png

@GOSU note my massive head.
RIP the dream.

Guess we have to wait for infection and the torque remix no one asked for.

singhr1

What's the big deal? It's now early May instead of late April, why do we care about arbitrary boundaries between weeks? Shit happens in the dev process, at least we have a weekend of Warzone firefight as a bonus in between.

Dont forget everyone will be playing gears 4 beta for two weeks* :p

* two weeks if you played the ultimate edition. 1 week open beta for everyone.

Christ, people are mining enough salt to power the Long Night of Solace over information that was never guaranteed. Seriously, who wasn't expecting Reach to get pushed back when Meridian got that treatment?

Two things:
  1. Always expect the worst.
  2. I'm glad Bravo was quick to comment on that, so great job on him.
Now we need to get 343 to comment on why the lack of an unranked 4v4 Team Arena/Slayer playlist. Perhaps I'm overestimating it, but I think they're underestimating just how much of a deterrence this is to multiplayer right now. I have several friends who stopped playing for this reason, and it seems there are multiple people on here in the same situation, so while yes it may be anecdotal, this appears like something that can be an issue on a larger scale.

I just seen snakebite get 2 perfects for a double kill. Wtf. Damn.

You've never done that?

What's the big deal? It's now early May instead of late April, why do we care about arbitrary boundaries between weeks? Shit happens in the dev process, at least we have a weekend of Warzone firefight as a bonus in between.

Sure "shit happens". But's it's not an arbitrary boundary. It's a later date than we were told. "Shit happens" was the reason for the delay for the recent update too, and that shipped with at least 2 major bugs that literally playing once most people noticed right away (no sound and spartan companies list is borked and useless atm).

Not telling people that plans have changed or how or why or whatever is "old 343" and "new 343" has been much better about that. Now, Bravo admitted it was a mistake in the tweet and whatnot, but you act like customers wanting accurate information about releases for products they buy/support is some sort of sin.

"We have a weekend of Firefight" - yeah, and? What does that have to do with the company's ability to reliably communicate with their customers?

This is why they don't fucking want to confirm the dates for ANYTHING. Seriously, people, plans changed.

Then let us fucking know.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? I would have been fine with being aware of a change, but just dropping bombs at the end of the stream that no one outside the studio was aware of is kind of an "oops".

At my job, if we can't build a test or support a mission reliably in the initial timeline proposed, we're obligated to tell the customer. It's not a big deal, but it is expected in many professional environments. Just "because it's videogames" doesn't mean they should get different treatment than dev teams in other industries.

Trup1aya

Don't quote me on this but I remember hearing an offhand explanation for the removal of firefight (and campaign matchmaking) being chalked up to how comparatively dead the respective playlists were in their games.

Though to be fair Halo 4 had Spartan Ops to fill the void that the exclusion of firefight left, though the noted absence of any PVE gamemode in Halo 5 outside of the campaign really didn't come off in the best light.

A comment like that could only be made by someone who doesn't understand the fanbase. A lot of what made Firefight enjoyable was that it could be played alone and/or offline. It was also a good, pressure free warmup before jumping into the PvP modes. Those facts would have limited the number of people in the playlist at any given time. But given how people used it, It didn't need to be one of the most popular playlists for it to very important to the overall experience.

Also, any statistics gained from Spartan Ops would be useless in gauging player interest in something like firefight, because it was completely inferior.

Between H4 and H5 launch we got:

COD in space instead of an Arena shooter
Spec Ops instead of Firefight
A Forge powered BTB
Breakout instead of KotH, Oddball etc
No PvE at all
No split screen

Just so many decisions that , in my mind, would clearly be unfavorable to the fanbase. I feel like I wouldnt even need to look at playlist numbers to make the right call.

Anyway, I'm just glad their on the right track. They should now have enough data to make Halo6 perfect.

I can understand the point of @Yourexwife
For me the problem isn't they delaying the update. It's how 343 communicates. It really isn't a problem things get a bit delayed, but they should learn how to be open about certain things.

I have all my Silvers but the Rare DMR with Longshot Sight and Extended Mag is missing.

Will it show up eventually?
The same rare dmr is my last silver unlock. I've got everything else, excluding any number of more rare emblems I don't know about, which is probably like a 100.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Radar stays the same, is altered, or removed - I don't much care so long as it's universal. I don't like having different pro and casual settings.

Anyone want a win10 code for quantum break? Shoot me a PM with the original artwork my avatar was created from (the ce cover with keg, my Google fu came up short). First come first serve halogaf exclusive offer while supplies last!

still no winners. you got 2 hrs from this post or i sell it for 20+ on gaming side. GO

People please, don't throw shit at those who are angry or disappointed by these reoccurring issues. Complacency results in the years from 2007-2014, and now that we actually have a great-playing Halo game, we can't accept anything less than greatness from Microsoft's flagship franchise.

343 isn't some small independent studio scratching at the bottom of the barrel for funds and resources.

Then let us fucking know.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? I would have been fine with being aware of a change, but just dropping bombs at the end of the stream that no one outside the studio was aware of is kind of an "oops".

At my job, if we can't build a test or support a mission reliably in the initial timeline proposed, we're obligated to tell the customer. It's not a big deal, but it is expected in many professional environments. Just "because it's videogames" doesn't mean they should get different treatment than dev teams in other industries.

They responded in a timely manner on Twitter when they were asked just like most of the other problems / setbacks they've clarified on. What were you expecting, a blog post punctuating the Meridian blowout that would replace the April graphic with a bunch of middle fingers? I mean fuck, if we're going off of their content model, the "guaranteed" free DLC is slated to end June 2016, which lines up with their proposed models perfectly - Reach in May, Hog Wild in June.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
But it's really cool though

Or maybe they were too good

Due to the nature of the REQ system, difficulty is always going to feel different based on the cards you and your team use plus your individual effectiveness with said cards. What we've seen from internal playtests players in the wild have a different use cadence with cards they've earned/paid for compared to use using throwaway accounts with REQ we didn't earn.

With that said, this is a beta and we'll be listening out for all feedback for the full release.

People please, don't throw shit at those who are angry or disappointed by these reoccurring issues. Complacency results in the years from 2007-2014, and now that we actually have a great-playing Halo game, we can't accept anything less than greatness from Microsoft's flagship franchise.

343 isn't some small independent studio scratching at the bottom of the barrel for funds and resources.

I mean, are we not supposed to hold them to a high standard and expect good service/good product?

They responded in a timely manner on Twitter when they were asked just like most of the other problems / setbacks they've clarified on. What were you expecting, a blog post punctuating the Meridian blowout that would replace the April graphic with a bunch of middle fingers? I mean fuck, if we're going off of their content model, the "guaranteed" free DLC is slated to end June 2016, which lines up with their proposed models perfectly - Reach in May, Hog Wild in June.

I'm not responding to the twitter response speed, I'm referring to the fact that Moa and I had to tweet at all for them to notice that they hadn't notified the customer base of an important delay for the content.

As for your "it still lines up with June" comment, well no fucking duh. So would a 2 month delay. So would a 3 month. It's just with one less content drop. That's as stupid as saying "So what if I went 1,2,3,4,6? I can still count to ten like I said I would."

I can understand the point of @Yourexwife
For me the problem it's they are delaying the update. It's the 343 communicates. It really isn't a problem things go a bit delayed, but they should learn how to be open about certain things.

It's exactly this. Bravo basically apologized for the oversight, and I get and understand that. I'm just legit disappointed based on their track record since taking over the franchise every time there's some "minor" incident like this (or any of the major ones for that matter). I want them to be the best they can be. Refusing criticism or brushing off those that bring up legitimate criticisms or complaints as "righteous indignation" or some other bullshit slrp salad does no one any good, least of all 343i.

People complained every time that their stream audio is a joke. Today, the stream, technically speaking, was flawless. That's awesome. But would they have known if folks hadn't told them?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Congrats Poodle you finally won at something!! ;)

Out of interest, what's the source of the image? Where did you originally find it Ivy?

:

i dont know the source, but its been avatar since i discovered it ages ago. i edited it with the didact symbols pre-4's launch and its time to go back to original.

which req packs give out skins? still have none lol

It depends on how much you've unlocked so far. Technically all packs can give you skins (iirc there's a handful of Common weapon skins), but it's going to feel less apparent because Bronze packs don't even guarantee a permanent unlock, and even when they do, there are a ton and ton and ton of other Common perma-unlocks to get, from modded weapons to armors to emblems (especially emblems). It'll probably feel faster if you try out a handful of Silver and Gold packs because they guarantee 2 permanent unlocks and they'll go for higher-rarity items, meaning there's less fluff to worry about. I know when I was first starting out I got a few Bronzes and then started alternating between Silver and Gold packs until I had a decent amount of cosmetic items.

'm not responding to the twitter response speed, I'm referring to the fact that Moa and I had to tweet at all for them to notice that they hadn't notified the customer base of an important delay for the content.

As for your "it still lines up with June" comment, well no fucking duh. So would a 2 month delay. So would a 3 month. It's just with one less content drop. That's as stupid as saying "So what if I went 1,2,3,4,6? I can still count to ten like I said I would."

People complained every time that their stream audio is a joke. Today, the stream, technically speaking, was flawless. That's awesome. But would they have known if folks hadn't told them?

1. They released the content model before the delay, so it seemed pretty obvious to me at that point that something had to give in terms of monthly distribution

2. How are you going to say a single monthly setback lining up with a content roadmap that was posted beforehand is stupid and then say that 343 is supposed to grasp adaption without criticism? It's redundant.

Due to the nature of the REQ system, difficulty is always going to scale based on the cards you and your team use plus your individual effectiveness with said cards. What we've seen from internal playtests players in the wild have a different use cadence with cards they've earned/paid for compared to use using throwaway accounts with REQ we didn't earn.

With that said, this is a beta and we'll be listening out for all feedback for the full release.

Thanks for the comment. Youll be hearin' from us.. Lol

BraXzy

Due to the nature of the REQ system, difficulty is always going to scale based on the cards you and your team use plus your individual effectiveness with said cards. What we've seen from internal playtests players in the wild have a different use cadence with cards they've earned/paid for compared to use using throwaway accounts with REQ we didn't earn.

That's a good point I'd use a lot less high end cards if it was coming out of my own collection. Are there any plans/considerations for an endless type mode?

Interesting, so the difficulty changes on the fly based on if there's a Mantis in play or is it determined before the match starts? If on the fly, will it change the stats of enemies currently on the map or only changes future enemy drops? And if that's the case, will different, more powerful units appear or just the stats of predetermined units?

1. They released the content model before the delay, so it seemed pretty obvious to me at that point that something had to give in terms of monthly distribution

2. How are you going to say a single monthly setback lining up with a content roadmap that was posted beforehand is stupid and then say that 343 is supposed to grasp adaption without criticism? It's redundant.

Wow...

Whether or not the "model" (which just gave a "number" for the expected amount of updates to come) came before or after the delay is beside the point. The discussion was specifically about the Reach update and a bummer failure to communicate that it too was delayed - after we were given a release window, unlike the rest of the model. My point was that your entire comment about it lining up with the "model" (if you can call it that) was pointless and devoid of content. They could have had some engine modifications that delayed everything, but the rest of the content production was on schedule and then released 2 (or more) updates in one month. This was one possibility that many of us assumed was the case until today. The roadmap isn't the point.

I never said they were supposed to adapt without criticism. How did you get that?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Interesting, so the difficulty changes on the fly based on if there's a Mantis in play or is it determined before the match starts? If on the fly, will it change the stats of enemies currently on the map or only changes future enemy drops? And if that's the case, will different, more powerful units appear or just the stats of predetermined units?

There's no dynamic system adjusting difficulty based on the REQs you and your teammates call in, I was commenting on the perceived encounter difficulty feeling dramatically different depending on the weapons and/or vehicles players call in.

Top Bottom