• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

blamite

Pipap doesn't seem too bad. Maybe my group just used a bunch of Reqs though, idk.

I looooooove how fun Talon of the Lost is in FF, seems like it just tears up those obnoxious Promethean bosses. That and The Answer are the most fun I've had just completely unloading on dudes. Need to try out the Needle Supressor too, that one's supposed to e pretty good, right?

Are you talking about Reach's campaign, or Firefight? Because Firefight in Reach and Firefight in Halo 5 are two very different things.

Similarly, the AI in the campaign versus the AI in Firefight are even more substantially divorced. Seriously, go play the campaign. The AI there is really smart and very fair; it's just a matter of 343i deciding Firefight should be challenging, so everything is an enormous bullet sponge with heat-seeking ammunition (and also that Prometheans should attack you like a swarm of bees, which they almost never did in the campaign).

There's a lot of stuff wrong with FF in Halo 5, but the enemy AI in Halo 5 as a whole? It's really good. It's just that the issues with Warzone's AI in general (in that in order to make fighting over bosses viable, they need huge health pools) were not addressed in the shift from a PvPvE sandbox, to an exclusively PvE sandbox.

Yeah I get that they're different types of firefights and the AI is designed around that, but they just aren't as fun as Reach's Firefight to me because of that. I feel like that in the Campaign in 5 too actually, the AI there is certainly better than 5's FF AI obviously but they feel off to me compared to Reach. Compared to other games enemy AI though, 5 is still a step above thankfully.

The Reach Elites were really fun to fight against. Halo 2 and 3 were a step down in that regard, but Reach felt like a return to form. .

Reach's elites are some of the best AI I've ever had the pleasure of fighting in any game. Spraying a mag with the AR or Timing your shots with the pistol, they are just so much fun, smart but still plenty fair.

blamite

Was it Raid on Apex 7 Pipap though?

Oh, he's on multiple maps? Nah, it was Sanctum. Came right after another Grunt mecha round, too. Yeesh, sounds like the Apex version is way worse. Those Round 5 bosses can be pretty ridiculous.

Also I feel like maybe the increasing respawn timer would feel a lot less unfun if it added 2 or 3 seconds instead of 5 each round? It feels really shitty to die on round 5 and realize that even though you have enough points to call in a good req, in the time it'd take you to respawn and make your way over to the boss, the round will basically be over. I mean obviously that'll happen to some degree no matter what, and it should otherwise it's just a free win, but still 30 second respawns just feel way too punishing.

Tired of Spartan whoopin' dat ass?

:)

Haha, maybeh!

Also just played Molten, don't understand 343s obsession with close quarters, hallway oriented maps with shit LOS. I'd put it with overgrowth in the "garbage, never let the person who designed this to make a MP map ever again" tier of maps.

Haha, maybeh!

Also just played Molten, don't understand 343s obsession with close quarters, hallway oriented maps with shit LOS. I'd put it with overgrowth in the "garbage, never let the person who designed this to make a MP map ever again" tier of maps.

And then when they make an open map like Torque it's TOO open and you get shot from every direction.

Tyrant had so much potential, but the top middle area is so closed and small, cutting off all lines of sight.

Also, Solo Q won't come for Halo 5. Its way too late and the MM algorithms would require too much work to change now

B3N1

Just got two WFF wins, starting to get the hang of it.

It still depends on the team, but I spent a whole Apex match in an ONI Warthog with a guy shooting behind me. Last round with the Phantom and Gold Wraith was over in a minute. Teammates brought like 2 Scorpions and 2 Banshees too, it was fucking great.

What I don't get is how people just farm outside garage on ARC round 3. Once you survive that, it's pretty easy to finish up with the ghosts + elites + hunters. Yet I see guys with base warthogs camping spawn areas from far away, while a team of 3 tries to hold down the garage and fails, beacuse the campers just can't shoot every incoming enemy. Then once enemies are in they block anyone from entering, and the round is failed.

I also found out that the Plasma Caster is pretty efficient against Knight Commandos. (the ones on Apex, round 2 maybe?) 5-6 shots can kill one, and the range is just ridiculous.

Coliseum, Fathom and Truth are more open Arena maps that also have a manageable LoS. DLC maps should follow suit. So far, 343's idea of an asymmetric map largely consists of corridors and most of them play badly. Plaza is okay, but it has more open elements. They need to emulate the likes of Lockout, it's an asymmetric map with power positions + an open top mid. Lockout has hall ways, but it doesn't dominate the map's encounters. I don't think Molten is as bad as Riptide or Overgrowth, but it's not doing a whole lot right.

I've been playing Team slayer for 12 years on Xbox live

This season stuff is shit imo. Bring back a persistent rank instead of starting over every two months. The first ten games are always so lopsided.

Waste of time. Halo is so hard to love sometimes.

Cranster

Banned
Did they say what Bravo's new job is?
Implementing an actual working skill based matchmaking algorithm to replace the non-existing one in Halo 5.
I'm only half joking.

Are you talking about Reach's campaign, or Firefight? Because Firefight in Reach and Firefight in Halo 5 are two very different things.

Similarly, the AI in the campaign versus the AI in Firefight are even more substantially divorced. Seriously, go play the campaign. The AI there is really smart and very fair; it's just a matter of 343i deciding Firefight should be challenging, so everything is an enormous bullet sponge with heat-seeking ammunition (and also that Prometheans should attack you like a swarm of bees, which they almost never did in the campaign).

There's a lot of stuff wrong with FF in Halo 5, but the enemy AI in Halo 5 as a whole? It's really good. It's just that the issues with Warzone's AI in general (in that in order to make fighting over bosses viable, they need huge health pools) were not addressed in the shift from a PvPvE sandbox, to an exclusively PvE sandbox.
The thing with the Reach AI is that while they were smart, they were not fair either especially in regards to damage output. It was like Halo 2 all over again except the AI were more cunning. What was more annoying was that Active camoflauge was useless against AI enemies on every difficulty, that definitely wasn't fair.

Firefight is hard

Screenshot-Original.png

barf we just watched a full ctf match on fathom go into OT with a tie. So now we get to watch another ctf game on fathom... Nice variety :p

EDIT: joy let's get yet another ctf game on fathom..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

barf we just watched a full ctf match on fathom go into OT with a tie. So now we get to watch another ctf game on fathom... Nice variety :p

EDIT: joy let's get yet another ctf game on fathom..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yeah, I hate close, competitive matches in my Halo. It's the worst.

The matches are really good. i Just don't see why the rematch has to keep getting played on the same map. No one wants to watch 2 teams play the same game on the same map 3 times in a row.

It's the same map and gametype because you're determining who's winning that unique skill/teamwork combo, not just going "fuck it, guess they're both good, who cares". Some teams are better at certain maps/gametypes. There's a reason the veto system exists: to give the best competition.

EDIT: Analogy: let's say a world series game being played at the AL team's field is a tie and goes into some crazy number of extra innings. Should the umps just call the tie and then just move the series off to the NL team's field, just because some people don't like watching long matches?

It's the same map and gametype because you're determining who's winning that unique skill/teamwork combo, not just going "fuck it, guess they're both good, who cares". Some teams are better at certain maps/gametypes. There's a reason the veto system exists: to give the best competition.
I don't know how the veto system works in the pro-league, but my point still stands lol. A tie suggests that both teams are good at the map/gametype. A tie twice in a row only re-enforces that notion. Let's not have to suffer through repetition just so one team can finally prove they're better at that specific gametype-map combo. It's only my opinion, but I don't think it's good for viewership.

I don't know how the veto system works in the pro-league, but my point still stands lol. A tie suggests that both teams are good at the map/gametype. A tie twice in a row only re-enforces that notion. Let's not have to suffer through repetition just so one team can finally prove they're better at that specific gametype-map combo. It's only my opinion, but I don't think it's good for viewership.

Of course they're both playing their better gametypes/maps. That's why they didn't veto them. The idea is that they're both good at what they're playing. If you don't resolve ties under this system, you could conceivably just push the buck further until you possibly end up on one team's worst gametype.

You can say it's bad for viewership, since that's a stance of opinion without detailed viewer statistics. Personally, I enjoy really close objective matches in Halo. There's a ton of tension that doesn't exist in other situations. Not sure what your point is other than that you find it boring.

EDIT: Analogy: let's say a world series game being played at the AL team's field is a tie and goes into some crazy number of extra innings. Should the umps just call the tie and then just move the series off to the NL team's field, just because some people don't like watching long matches?
The big difference is in the rules of the game. Baseball goes into extra innings in the case of a tie and so there is no stopping. Imagine if baseball did end in a tie and simply restarted the game at inning one with the score 0-0. I'd go insane watching that and I think other people would too. But baseball doesn't do that whereas Halo does.

It would be better to not have the time run out in halo pro competition if all they're going to do is keep replaying the same map-gametype. If the game went into sudden death and didn't end until another cap, it would be shorter, more entertaining, and better overall for watching. again, that's my own opinion. Ultimately, i'm not terribly upset about it, but do think it's kind of silly the way it is setup currently. That's all.

Trup1aya

Yeah, I think the problem is the new overtime rules in CTF.

When over time hits the winner should be whoever gets the next cap.

The game should never end in a tie.

The big difference is in the rules of the game. Baseball goes into extra innings in the case of a tie and so there is no stopping. Imagine if baseball did end in a tie and simply restarted the game at inning one with the score 0-0. I'd go insane watching that and I think other people would too. But baseball doesn't do that whereas Halo does.

It would be better to not have the time run out in halo pro competition if all they're going to do is keep replaying the same map-gametype. If the game went into sudden death and didn't end until another cap, it would be shorter, more entertaining, and better overall for watching. again, that's my own opinion. Ultimately, i'm not terribly upset about it, but do think it's kind of silly the way it is setup currently. That's all.
You missed the point of the analogy. The point is that you're advocating switching gametypes instead of playing until you have a winner. Changing the overtime system could work and that's not the issue. Gametype choice (veto system) is equivalent to the homefield advantage in the analogy. I wasn't advocating for Halo's specific overtime system, but the fact that they keep playing the same gametype/map combo.

Montresor

Based 343! Halo 5 has an incredibly active multiplayer community (according to the new thread on the main gaming forum about monthly active users).

Halo 6 will be absolutely massive. It won't make Scorpio launch but because of Play Anywhere and Microsoft's initiative to make XB1 and Scorpio part of the same family, the pool of available customers is just going to be massive.

Halo 6 will be absolutely massive. It won't make Scorpio launch but because of Play Anywhere and Microsoft's initiative to make XB1 and Scorpio part of the same family, the pool of available customers is just going to be massive.

Microsoft went back on their "Play Anywhere" stance recently. Now it's just "games revealed at E3" are part of the program, not all MS-published Xbox titles going forward.

You missed the point of the analogy. The point is that you're advocating switching gametypes instead of playing until you have a winner. Changing the overtime system could work and that's not the issue. Gametype choice (veto system) is equivalent to the homefield advantage in the analogy. I wasn't advocating for Halo's specific overtime system, but the fact that they keep playing the same gametype/map combo.
Watching the same gametype on the same map 3 times in a row is repetitive. For me, it doesn't really have anything to do with good competition, map vetoes, or gametypes. I'm speaking solely on the idea that watching it gets old because it's the same map 3 times in a row. Nothing more. Maybe we're talking about different things. You like good competition and I do too. I'm totally in agreement with you there. And you want to see a true winner for the map and gametype that got chosen by the teams. And while I can see your point, I only agree with that to an extent. If it means having to watch the same thing 2-3 times in a row, I'm not a fan. I'd prefer a sudden death that never ends as opposed to stopping matches and restarting them with no score, and it sounds like you would be okay with this.

I'm not saying that they should change the gametype, but that they switch the map up at the very least if the pro league isn't going to implement sudden death instead of the current system. The teams could even re-vote on which map gets chosen. It would be akin to football teams flipping a coin when a game goes into overtime to see who kicks off and what side of the field teams start on.. We can agree to disagree on it though, it's fine. I know I've dragged this on quite enough already. =)

Watching the same gametype on the same map 3 times in a row is repetitive. For me, it doesn't really have anything to do with good competition, map vetoes, or gametypes. I'm speaking solely on the idea that watching it gets old because it's the same map 3 times in a row. Nothing more. Maybe we're talking about different things. You like good competition and I do too. I'm totally in agreement with you there. And you want to see a true winner for the map and gametype that got chosen by the teams. And while I can see your point, I only agree with that to an extent. If it means having to watch the same thing 2-3 times in a row, I'm not a fan. I'd prefer a sudden death that never ends as opposed to stopping matches and restarting them with no score, and it sounds like you would be okay with this.

I'm not saying that they should change the gametype, but that they switch the map up at the very least if the pro league isn't going to implement sudden death instead of the current system. The teams could even re-vote on which map gets chosen. It would be akin to football teams flipping a coin when a game goes into overtime to see who kicks off and what side of the field teams start on.. We can agree to disagree on it though, it's fine. I know I've dragged this on quite enough already. =)

Agreed, I'd like to see matchmaking and tournies have a rule of 1 or 2 matches and that map is removed from the next game selection pool. Keep the weightings and all that but halt the map coming up 3 times in a row, twice in a row is bearable and allows the higher weighted maps to shine without the dragging repetition.

The bolded. This is my point. You just cannot do that. If you change the map, then the gametype might as well change too and the vetoes and integrity of the series are nulled. Not to sound "elitist" or whatever, but even at 'low-level' play, the map that a gametype is played on means a huge difference. You might still be playing strongholds, but certain maps (The Rig vs Eden for example) means that either red or blue team gets to have a marked spawn advantage at the start, and in a really close matchup, that can mean the game. Your team might be really good at Colosseum CTF because you have a dominant sniper, but weak at Truth CTF because the other team is better with Fuel Rod/camo control.

You were correct that I agreed on the point about changing the overtime rules to be more favorable to some viewers. I'd be just as fine with that as with the current system, personally. It's just that the nature of Halo dictates that you can't up and change the gametype OR the map if we stick with the current system or some other system just because the game is lasting too long. It wouldn't be fair to the teams that spend hours upon hours playing and planning out their matchups for the week. In a sense it wouldn't be fair for the viewer either because all of that gameplay would just go to waste since we couldn't determine a winner in the allotted time.

You're not dragging out anything, it's a good discussion.

mo60

I finally got the Halo 2 Battle Rifle.
Screenshot-Original.png

Now I just need to get the prophet's bane and then I will have all the loadout weapons and power weapons unlocked.

Top Bottom