• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

EYEL1NER

I should really be saving these Arena REQ Bundle packs that I am getting. I just got my third week's worth of packs and pulled an Uncommon armor...
I really need to finish Silvers.

Also, I'm leaving on vacation overseas tomorrow for two weeks. I'll be playing a few WZFF matches in a few hours and played two last night (would have played more last night but was about to finally win one on Stormbreak only to get dropped from the match as I was hammering some W5 Hunters with a Scorpion, so I got irritated and shut it off). I would prefer to not get dropped from the Company for inactivity, but if the decision gets made, then I guess I can reapply and wait in line for a spot when I get back. I'm going to be missing my Xbone something fierce while in the Philippines though, so first thing I am going to do upon getting back at the beginning of August is hop on and play some.

I should really be saving these Arena REQ Bundle packs that I am getting. I just got my third week's worth of packs and pulled an Uncommon armor...
I really need to finish Silvers.

Also, I'm leaving on vacation overseas tomorrow for two weeks. I'll be playing a few WZFF matches in a few hours and played two last night (would have played more last night but was about to finally win one on Stormbreak only to get dropped from the match as I was hammering some W5 Hunters with a Scorpion, so I got irritated and shut it off). I would prefer to not get dropped from the Company for inactivity, but if the decision gets made, then I guess I can reapply and wait in line for a spot when I get back. I'm going to be missing my Xbone something fierce while in the Philippines though, so first thing I am going to do upon getting back at the beginning of August is hop on and play some.

I'm only 10 silver packs from finishing! TEN!

EYEL1NER

I'm only 10 silver packs from finishing! TEN!
That's the home stretch right there.
Just with armor alone, I still have 16 uncommon or rare helms left and 15 pieces of armor that are uncommon or rare. Then I've got multiple weapons, abilities, skins, emblems... I've still got a little while. But I am not so far away from completing Silvers that I am hopeless or anything.
Total count remaining now is:
-16 helms
-15 armor
-7 visors
-2 stances
-3 assassinations
-11 weapon skins
-11 loadouts weapons
-1 armor mod
-4 power weapon licenses
-4 vehicle licenses
-countless emblems

So the end is in sight. That isn't a super-large amount of stuff. I've got the over half of a couple categories unlocked, except loadouts DMRs which I am light on. I'm not sure how many Silvers that is though, since I only have a tablet that can't use the REQ resource that gets posted in here (I guess if I add the above numbers up and divide by two, that should be about how many I have left? Maybe 37-ish Silvers left if not for emblems?).

One thing that got me though was recently I was moaning ITT about how I wished I could get a full set of skins, but I kept getting three of a lot of the rare ones. I finally got a full set of Last Dawn weapon skins, one for all five weapons. But I also just got the ultra rare Prestige AR skin (which I kind of like) and the legendary Bracer DMR skin (which I REALLY like). So for all of my wishing that I had a complete set, now that I do, I am not even using them.

There's an issue in firefight where the spawn timer stopped at 0 when I tried to spawn a random vehicle. If you scroll across your REQs there's a message says "Your vehicle will be spawned shortly" or something. But nothing happened and we lost the game.

That's the home stretch right there.
Just with armor alone, I still have 16 uncommon or rare helms left and 15 pieces of armor that are uncommon or rare. Then I've got multiple weapons, abilities, skins, emblems... I've still got a little while. But I am not so far away from completing Silvers that I am hopeless or anything.
Total count remaining now is:
-16 helms
-15 armor
-7 visors
-2 stances
-3 assassinations
-11 weapon skins
-11 loadouts weapons
-1 armor mod
-4 power weapon licenses
-4 vehicle licenses
-countless emblems

So the end is in sight. That isn't a super-large amount of stuff. I've got the over half of a couple categories unlocked, except loadouts DMRs which I am light on. I'm not sure how many Silvers that is though, since I only have a tablet that can't use the REQ resource that gets posted in here (I guess if I add the above numbers up and divide by two, that should be about how many I have left? Maybe 37-ish Silvers left if not for emblems?).

One thing that got me though was recently I was moaning ITT about how I wished I could get a full set of skins, but I kept getting three of a lot of the rare ones. I finally got a full set of Last Dawn weapon skins, one for all five weapons. But I also just got the ultra rare Prestige AR skin (which I kind of like) and the legendary Bracer DMR skin (which I REALLY like). So for all of my wishing that I had a complete set, now that I do, I am not even using them.

Use this to quickly track how much you need.

EYEL1NER

I've visited that page several times but every time I've looked at it I have decided that I wouldn't be able to use it from an iPad and would need to be on a desktop/laptop where I could install scripts to pull the info from Waypoint. Am I missing something? I guess I could go through and check off everything I do have one by one but if there is an easy way to automate the process on a tablet, I just assumed it couldn't be done.

I've visited that page several times but every time I've looked at it I have decided that I wouldn't be able to use it from an iPad and would need to be on a desktop/laptop where I could install scripts to pull the info from Waypoint. Am I missing something? I guess I could go through and check off everything I do have one by one but if there is an easy way to automate the process on a tablet, I just assumed it couldn't be done.

Ah yeah, if you want to do it with the script you'll need a desktop browser.

Trup1aya

I really really hate the Scorpion controls in this game.

The games response to input on the left stick is dependant on where the turret is aiming... Which makes rotating a nightmare unless you are shooting straight ahead.

Hasnt movement and aiming always been independent in previous games?

I was about 20 away from finishing yesterday. If you trim down your req collection you’d easily be able to finish it immediately.

Still need 47k points, probably will sell all those useless random cards and a billion warthogs.

I really really hate the Scorpion controls in this game.

EXACTLY, how can you mess up that 343... I still dont know how you turn correctly, sometimes it goes exactly the opposite way you want it to...

Trup1aya

EXACTLY, how can you mess up that 343... I still dont know how you turn correctly, sometimes it goes exactly the opposite way you want it to...

What the left stick does is dependent on where you were aiming when you started trying to move the vehicle. Only if you are aiming straight ahead will the tank move normally. Then every time you stop moving, the game reevaluates your reticle.

So you could pressing LS up to move forward, then turn your reticle so that you are shooting over the side of your tank. If you stop moving, pressing Up will turn your tank towards your reticle. If you wanted to keep your tank on the same path you would have to press LS left/right.

It's madness that the controls just change orientation on the fly. It remind me of camera issues from back when dual analog first became popular. 15 years of experience wasted.

Isn't that how Halo vehicles have always worked? I.e. the hog in CE. You look, you press forward, you drive over there. Everything is pivoted on the looking.

Probably being dim, it's all muscle memory now.

Karl2177

What the left stick does is dependent on where you were aiming when you started trying to move the vehicle. Only if you are aiming straight ahead will the tank move normally. Then every time you stop moving, the game reevaluates your reticle.

So you could pressing LS up to move forward, then turn your reticle so that you are shooting over the side of your tank. If you stop moving, pressing Up will turn your tank towards your reticle. If you wanted to keep your tank on the same path you would have to press LS left/right.

It's madness that the controls just change orientation on the fly. It remind me of camera issues from back when dual analog first became popular. 15 years of experience wasted.

I've been trying to figure out how the Scorpion decides what is forward and what is left for ages now.

IMO, vehicles need to be reworked from the ground up for the next title and/or H5 patch. Banshee needs to be retuned from flying OHK to flying harass vehicle like it was in Halo 2. Ghost shots don't need to be laser shots that can kill in less than 0.5 seconds. Warthogs could use a bit more health among a bunch other things. Mongoose and Ghosts can survive a plasma grenade. I don't know what the fuck shields are doing on a Banshee. Loadout weapons and snipers do more to vehicles? Why? And I don't want some garbage ass lore reason "...Well, it is an anti materiel rifle" I want gameplay reasons. What benefit do you have by expanding the role of the Sniper, when players stop using it for its previously intended role?

And for the love of god, can we finally move away from the separate health without indicator model? It was shit in Reach, it was shit in Halo 4, it was shit in Halo 2 Anniversary, it's still shit in Halo 5. Either go the way of CE and have separate health for the vehicle and player, but show it in the UI or go the way of Halo 2 and 3 where health is tied to the players shields with distinct effects on the vehicles. I can't count the number of times my Ghost was barely damaged visibly and a stray BR burst blew it all up.

But whatever. Halo is awful. I'll probably play it tonight, assuming my internet is working.

Trup1aya

Isn't that how Halo vehicles have always worked? I.e. the hog in CE. You look, you press forward, you drive over there. Everything is pivoted on the looking.

Probably being dim, it's all muscle memory now.

That's how the warthog/mongoose works, but it makes sense because you are in a car, meaning the vehicle can only go forward and reverse. You can't "strafe" a car, but a tank is a different story.

When you are in a tank, the controls shouldn't impede you from moving the vehicle independently from where the turret is facing. If I'm not mistaken this is the first game in the series to do this...

Uhoh... Doing my daily log in on waypoint and i dont see my daily pack...

Maybe they did something to only receive them by logging in via your xbox one. :((

Nice!!! that will be very exciting time for you. :)

Performance wise, it's already locked at 60fps. Might be too much of a time-hog to implement anything else.

Doesnt Halo 5 use some kind of dynamic resolution system where the resolution can dip down to 900p in certain sections? I thought I remembered reading about that around launch. I am just hoping that maybe on Scorpio they could keep it locked at 1080p, and then up res it to 4k if you have a 4k TV.

Doesnt Halo 5 use some kind of dynamic resolution system where the resolution can dip down to 900p in certain sections? I thought I remembered reading about that around launch. I am just hoping that maybe on Scorpio they could keep it locked at 1080p, and then up res it to 4k if you have a 4k TV.

Yeah, from what they have said, the scorpio's power will allow halo 5 to stay at a locked 1080p, or at full potential frame buffer with their dynamic resolution. The scropio will upscale it to 4k, if you are connected to a 4k tv.

So yeah, you have the correct thinking.

Yeah, from what they have said, the scorpio's power will allow halo 5 to stay at a locked 1080p, or at full potential frame buffer with their dynamic resolution. The scropio will upscale it to 4k, if you are connected to a 4k tv.

So yeah, you have the correct thinking.

That is great news. I already feel like Halo 5 is the best looking game so far this gen, so I cant wait to see how good it looks with the Scorpio 4k combo. I really am surprised we dont hear more about what a great job 343 did with the graphics for Halo 5. It really is amazing what they were able to accomplish with the weaker hardware.

That is great news. I already feel like Halo 5 is the best looking game so far this gen, so I cant wait to see how good it looks with the Scorpio 4k combo. I really am surprised we dont hear more about what a great job 343 did with the graphics for Halo 5. It really is amazing what they were able to accomplish with the weaker hardware.

True that. I cant' wait to see what they can do with Scorpio on their next mainline Halo. Also, any other games, that have dynamic resolution, will also benefit from Scorpio.

Akai__

I said a coupple times since Halo 4. Scorpion controls are really bad and we need a toggle for classic controls. I really hate that shit, because it's not intuitive at all and you spent 20 seconds figuring out how to turn and proceed to drive. Air vehicles also need a toggle. Loved how seamless the Hornets controlled in Halo 3 and can't stand the LB/RB for ascending/descending stuff in Halo 5. Not sure what's up with 343i and controls.

And Karl is spot on with that vehicle balance. So many times you can drive 1km/h and hit a teammate and he will be at 0% shield and 1% health. But hit an enemy with a Ghost at full speed and he will be half shield at best. The dumbest thing that happened to me was when I tried to hijack a Scorpion. I touched it from the side and I was dead immediately. Doesn't make any sense sometimes.

For Scorpio's power Halo 5 should be able to do 4K60fps, maybe with dynamic resolution kicking in sometimes.

For Scorpio's power Halo 5 should be able to do 4K60fps, maybe with dynamic resolution kicking in sometimes.

I think stinkles said they wouldn't patch it to do 4k or something along those lines. I think the only thing we really have 4k for Halo is when the Halo forge edition comes out on Win10. Something about it being built with dx12.

I think stinkles said they wouldn't patch it to do 4k or something along those lines. I think the only thing we really have 4k for Halo is when the Halo forge edition comes out on Win10. Something about it being built with dx12.

Sure, by that time 343 would be working on/finishing their 2017 Halo title (H3A or a spin-off), or even deep into Halo 6, can't imagine they'll split workforce to patch Halo 5.

So I have been going through waypoint and looking at all the unlocks and I am missing a ton of stuff, a lot of common stuff even. Is there a best way to go about unlocking all the armor stuff and embalms? I have been buying nothing but gold packs but it seems like I will be at this for ever.

HTupolev

When you are in a tank, the controls shouldn't impede you from moving the vehicle independently from where the turret is facing. If I'm not mistaken this is the first game in the series to do this...
Halo 1's Scorpion can only go forward toward reticle, but it's a completely different beast; very fast, ultra-powerful low-ROF shots, hard to hit stuff at long distance. It's somewhat clunky, but it encourages exciting aggressive tactics.

So I have been going through waypoint and looking at all the unlocks and I am missing a ton of stuff, a lot of common stuff even. Is there a best way to go about unlocking all the armor stuff and embalms? I have been buying nothing but gold packs but it seems like I will be at this for ever.

The most efficient way is starting with Bronze packs, until you start to get req points back, which means you unlocked everything common, then move on to Silver, do the same thing until you start to get req points back.

The most efficient way is starting with Bronze packs, until you start to get req points back, which means you unlocked everything common, then move on to Silver, do the same thing until you start to get req points back.

Thank you, I dont think I have ever even bought a bronze pack.

OMG the store needs a sell all button. Selling 47 of one item is such a miserable experience.

5 games in a row between Warzone and BTB where my team spent the better part of half the game with between 2-4 slots empty, and nobody filled them. By the end of two of the Warzone matches, we had less than 6 players on our team.

It's 2016 right?

Very frustrating.

jem0208

I said a coupple times since Halo 4. Scorpion controls are really bad and we need a toggle for classic controls. I really hate that shit, because it's not intuitive at all and you spent 20 seconds figuring out how to turn and proceed to drive. Air vehicles also need a toggle. Loved how seamless the Hornets controlled in Halo 3 and can't stand the LB/RB for ascending/descending stuff in Halo 5. Not sure what's up with 343i and controls.

And Karl is spot on with that vehicle balance. So many times you can drive 1km/h and hit a teammate and he will be at 0% shield and 1% health. But hit an enemy with a Ghost at full speed and he will be half shield at best. The dumbest thing that happened to me was when I tried to hijack a Scorpion. I touched it from the side and I was dead immediately. Doesn't make any sense sometimes.

I agree about the Scorpion but the air vehicle controls are far better. Lb/Rb for ascending/descending is perfect.

This is dead on. It's infuriating.

Akai__

I agree about the Scorpion but the air vehicle controls are far better. Lb/Rb for ascending/descending is perfect.

They might be perfect for you, but they aren't for others. This is why I have mentioned them after all. Not sure what's wrong with a simple toggle.

Akai__

Which controls do you mean by classic?

The classic controls were referring to the Scorpion controls. I don't think there is any noticeable difference from CE to Reach, so whatever works best there. It shouldn't be too hard.

My other point was Air Vehicles (VTOL's to be precise), which should have a toggle for how Halo 3 Hornets controlled. All the movement including ascend/descend onto the sticks. Don't like what they did to the Hornet controls in H2A and with the Phaeton/Wasp in H5.

I like the new Scorpion controls way better because you can freely move and aim independently.

It just takes some getting used to the fact that the aiming stick no long turns thyroid vehicle.

blamite

The worst thing 343 has done regarding vehicl controls is when they changed the Hornet in MCC to use the H5 style of air controls where ascending and descending are mapped to separate buttons. The original Hornet controls were way more intuitive and logical to ho the Hornet is used in the game, now I feel like I have to be clawing or something to be effective when I get in one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like the new Scorpion controls way better because you can freely move and aim independently.

It just takes some getting used to the fact that the aiming stick no long turns thyroid vehicle.
They could just give it actual fucking tank controls on one stick and call it a day. If someone can't figure out the difference between rotate and move they don't deserve to be playing Halo.

Speaking of vehicles, it'd be awesome if they brought back indestructible vehicles as a custom game setting. Maybe even CE physics for vehicles, even if just for Hogs.

Karl2177

The classic controls were referring to the Scorpion controls. I don't think there is any noticeable difference from CE to Reach, so whatever works best there. It shouldn't be too hard.

My other point was Air Vehicles (VTOL's to be precise), which should have a toggle for how Halo 3 Hornets controlled. All the movement including ascend/descend onto the sticks. Don't like what they did to the Hornet controls in H2A and with the Phaeton/Wasp in H5.
I'm not a fan of the Halo 3 controls for the hornet personally. My problem was when I wanted to move sideways, target an enemy, and change altitude at the same time. The sideways movement would work fine until it tried to gain altitude, and having to target an event at the same time meant that my right stick was out of wack. When it comes to VTOL styled vehicles, I prefer Reach's press trigger to ascend, press bumper to lock altitude. Then again, the Falcon should just make a return.

Trup1aya

The problem is, the game constantly changes how interprets the left stick depending on where your turret is aimed. So it's not completely independent.

It was better in H2-3 (iirc). Just normal LS move, RS aim... Not interdependencies.

Top Bottom