• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Guys, I've gotten a killer offer. Should I bite and leave the spartan company?

Wanna join KSI standbying community we have over 4000 preteens that cheat hardcore competitive games.We our both silent and deadely. Tournaments for those who wanna bridge host and ruin social to send random messages to strangers for their IP addresses. You need voice masking and a mic volumne level of 15 is a must.

Wanna join KSI standbying community we have over 4000 preteens that cheat hardcore competitive games.We our both silent and deadely. Tournaments for those who wanna bridge host and ruin social to send random messages to strangers for their IP addresses. You need voice masking and a mic volumne level of 15 is a must.

How close are they to the Achilles helmet though!

Bait? How is me saying MCC is a bugfest bait? I'm sure it works 100% operational for you though

Tried MCC with a buddy last night again as well, party chat of 11 got crapped out because 2 of us were in MCC and then after 1 successful game (that was still host latency to all hell) we couldn't match anymore and it felt like old times of restarting to get a match so we just went and played H5 doubles then Overwatch instead.

I feel your MCC pain, I/we want to play it from time to time but it still seems only somewhat reliable for solo searches and a mixed bag for host connections. Is it weird my mates piss me off more for wanting to play MCC over H5? No, they're the crazy ones :)

H5 is where it's at and the connections these days are brilliant but I will still admit the maps and gametypes from MCC multi are something we still want to play.

The Flash

Banned
Looking at them more, I have to say that I like the new Grunt designs in Halo 5. I used to think they looked stupid but they've grown on me. They're infinitely better than the Halo 4 designs at least.

Cranster

Banned
Bait? How is me saying MCC is a bugfest bait? I'm sure it works 100% operational for you though
I wouldn't call it bait but your comment saying your not buying another 343i Halo is definitely an overreaction.

Still though, I am not happy about MCC and I feel that 343i still owe's us for broken promises not only with the collection, but for the lack of support for the game this year and the lack of an explanation for why it launched as it did which Frankie himself said we would get more than a year ago.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
if your connection gets dropped mid match will waypoint still show the game eventually? nm, halo5arena has it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
double post? fuck it.

85Q2nu3.jpg

onyx? get the fuck outta here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So this just happened.

That guy was never there before.

Fucking beam rifles on Round 1?

The Phantoms were already a bit tricky/annoying to deal with but I had my preferred method and took the risk to work it. I'm a bit out of practice so I got hit by one this time, but fucking beam rifles?

All this says to me is "We don't want you to have fun or play in different ways. Our philosophy is to find all the ways you have fun and fuck it up as much as possible until you only play every round in one very specific and overly defensive and unfun way." I just closed the game right there.

Fuck you, 343. You had so much potential with this mode and you've just been shitting on it the whole way because of tryhards who get a boner every time they die.

So this just happened.

The Phantoms were already a bit tricky/annoying to deal with but I had my preferred method and took the risk to work it. I'm a bit out of practice so I got hit by one this time, but fucking beam rifles?

All this says to me is "We don't want you to have fun or play in different ways. Our philosophy is to find all the ways you have fun and fuck it up as much as possible until you only play every round in one very specific and overly defensive and unfun way." I just closed the game right there.

Fuck you, 343. You had so much potential with this mode and you've just been shitting on it the whole way because of tryhards who get a boner every time they die.

Beam rifle has always been in round one since Firefight launched. Git gud.

Cow

It's been 2 years. It's not happening. Let it go.

The only reason it has stopped being fixed is because of responses like these. They shut down any conversation about the issue. MCC is still here and it's still broken. 343 still played us all. I don't understand why people are happy to be content with the current situation and let them move on from it.

Waiting for that explanation Frankie. Oh yeah... it's not fixed yet.

So this just happened.

At least it doesn't one shot you.

Dice

Beam rifle has always been in round one since Firefight launched. Git gud.
Then why did I never see one in any of the other 28 games I played on the map even though I was often the first player out there?

"Git gud" is the most absolute bullshit answer to unfun design like this. Anyone can learn and adapt to manage shit design, but that doesn't magically make the shit design fun to play. It's just managing a low-freedom, low-interactivity total pain in the ass according to one very narrow effective methodology very repetitively across every match like a chore. Ever want to mix it up in approach, ever want to try something a bit unconventional, ever want to be a bit more cavalier? Too fucking bad. Instant or near-instant death. Now sit and watch a respawn timer. We have to make it a total bitch because that's the only thing the most hardcore players who always have a full team to play with want and we don't give a shit about any other players.

At least it doesn't one shot you.
It did. Watch the video.

I've tried to be hopeful but with how things have been going there will be no reason to have this game installed when Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 are out. It may even be more fun to go back and play tired old Left for Dead 2 a few more years.

Then why did I never see one in any of the other 28 games I played on the map even though I was often the first player out there?

"Git gud" is the most absolute bullshit answer to unfun design like this. Anyone can learn and adapt to manage shit design, but that doesn't magically make the shit design fun to play. It's just managing a low-freedom, low-interactivity total pain in the ass according to one very narrow effective methodology very repetitively across every match like a chore. Ever want to mix it up in approach, ever want to try something a bit unconventional, ever want to be a bit more cavalier? Too fucking bad. Instant or near-instant death. Now sit and watch a respawn timer. We have to make it a total bitch because that's the only thing the most hardcore players who always have a full team to play with want and we don't give a shit about any other players.

It did. Watch the video.

I've tried to be hopeful but with how things have been going there will be no reason to have this game installed when Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 are out. It may even be more fun to go back and play tired old Left for Dead 2 a few more years.

Lucky headshot? I was hit by Jackal snipers before but they always just knock my shields out, my deaths from them are always second shot or me not being full health.

The problem with firefight currently is the highly inconsistency in difficulty, social matchmaking is already very chaotic, adding artificial difficulty spikes would only make things worse, not exciting.

Karl2177

The only reason it has stopped being fixed is because of responses like these. They shut down any conversation about the issue. MCC is still here and it's still broken. 343 still played us all. I don't understand why people are happy to be content with the current situation and let them move on from it.

Waiting for that explanation Frankie. Oh yeah... it's not fixed yet.
Yeah. If they want to put MCC behind them, they better make sure it's fixed.

Trup1aya

Tbh, I'm certain those snipers have always been there.

Also, that sniper missed you twice, prior to landing the killing blow, so it's not like they have the accuracy programmed to max.

The fact is, in this situation, you were too far away to try and challenge a sniper with a magnum, especially since you already drew his aggro.

This game mode does have some difficulty spike issues. But I don't think this is a good example.

So this just happened.

Beam rifles are always at round 1 on that objective with the hunters. Also... why are you trying to out pistol, cross map, vs a beam rifle jackal? Are you really expecting them to just sit there and miss shots? they missed the first two, then you crouched and sat totally still. Totally deserved to die while you crouched on top of the garage, thinking your pistol would win versus a beam rifle. Place your anger at yourself for the horrible play you thought should have won.

SMH

Sordid

Got my first Halo 5 perfection today \o/ solo queue in Slayer. I'm only a Gold scrub but it was against some Platinum players so I'm happy. It seems like it was a perfect storm of getting teamed with good randoms for once and getting matched against rubbish ones but I'll take it, it probably won't happen again haha

😎

Yeah. If they want to put MCC behind them, they better make sure it's fixed.

I wish they would, but I am pretty certain it never will be.

If they were putting time/effort into fixing MCC I would assuming 343i would at least let us know. However they've gone completely silent about the whole thing, which makes me think they're choosing to do nothing about it.

which is fine, since it's not like there is anything wrong with the game.

http://www.halobugs.com

Akai__

Took a break from Halo 5 for a coupple days. 1st match in Arena is against OpTiC Mose, Respct and TuFoxy. Champion 1, 2 and 169.

Thanks Bungie 343i. Seriously, what the fuck is this shit.

jem0208

Took a break from Halo 5 for a coupple days. 1st match in Arena is against OpTiC Mose, Respct and TuFoxy. Champion 1, 2 and 169.

Your MMR must be really high...

Don’t you quite often play in a group? I know I’ve matched you before when you were in a team of 4 and you guys slaughtered me and my randoms.

Dice

Your crouched not moving, you expect heroic tier AI miss that easy shot?
Also, that sniper missed you twice, prior to landing the killing blow, so it's not like they have the accuracy programmed to max.

The fact is, in this situation, you were too far away to try and challenge a sniper with a magnum, especially since you already drew his aggro.
Beam rifles are always at round 1 on that objective with the hunters. Also... why are you trying to out pistol, cross map, vs a beam rifle jackal? Are you really expecting them to just sit there and miss shots? they missed the first two, then you crouched and sat totally still. Totally deserved to die while you crouched on top of the garage, thinking your pistol would win versus a beam rifle. Place your anger at yourself for the horrible play you thought should have won.

SMH
You guys are like professionals at missing the point. I am not pointing to this one particular video and going "OMG ITS TOO HAAAAAAAAARD" just because of what happened. I am perfectly fucking aware of the risk with a pistol. I didn't care because I was about done the moment I saw the beam rifle, which, as we have established, I had never seen in this round before. The point of showing the video wasn't the fact that I died but that there was even a beam rifle present at the very start of the game, something I consider a purposefully "fuck you" sort of design.

This is one tiny example of a comprehensive design philosophy that thinks challenge means conditions that limit your options of how to attain success. Have you played Left 4 Dead 2? Destiny? You can have fucktons of enemies and crazy shit going on everywhere and lots of interactivity and high deadliness and require a lot of teamwork and yet still have a lot of interactivity and options. It is possible. You have to go out of your way to design conditions that don't function that way.

The match making for arena has soured me from playing as much as i'd like to, too.

You guys are like professionals at missing the point. I am not pointing to this one particular video and going "OMG ITS TOO HAAAAAAAAARD" just because of what happened. I am perfectly fucking aware of the risk with a pistol. I didn't care because I was about done the moment I saw the beam rifle, which, as we have established, I had never seen in this round before. The point of showing the video wasn't the fact that I died but that there was even a beam rifle present at the very start of the game, something I consider a purposefully "fuck you" sort of design.

This is one tiny example of a comprehensive design philosophy that thinks challenge means conditions that limit your options of how to attain success. Have you played Left 4 Dead 2? Destiny? You can have fucktons of enemies and crazy shit going on everywhere and lots of interactivity and high deadliness and require a lot of teamwork and yet still have a lot of interactivity and options. It is possible. You have to go out of your way to design conditions that don't function that way.

No, we're not missing the point. No, we are not saying we are professionals. Also, If you did not care you died, because of the beam rifle shooting at you, then why did you post an angry rant because of the beam rifle killing you?

It's not a F U design as it is easily countered with positioning, flanking and other general HALO things you figure out from the first 5 minutes of playing. I bet you had the same angry rant when you came across the crying witch in l4d huh? OR when the vex spawned behind you as you were doing a strike. Come on, dont bring other games in here ..

Again, place your anger on yourself and not on the game because you climbed on a garage, crouched, and smart linked your pistol versus a beam rifle jakal, who even gave you two warning shots. You fucked yourself, not the game design. It provided mercy. TWICE.

Again, place your anger on yourself and not the game. Relax, take a breather and play a different game if you think 343i is out for your bunghole-io!!!!!

BevisAndButthead.jpg

Trup1aya

I dunno man, you had plenty of options, and chose the worst possible one.
I don't see how it's the games fault.

Sniper jackals are really easy to spot and kill (their face glows red, and they seem to intentionally miss shots to get your attention)

Hitting them once in any part of their body temporarily incapacitates them- a headshot kills them instantly. Had you taken a different approach after seeing his first two misses, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

It seems to me that you are just frustrated because the approach you chose to take doesn't work well when there are snipers on the field. But there really isn't any reason why jackal snipers shouldn't be in the field on round 1. There are 4 hunters, along with several elites in that same round that are much more challenging. The average player is probably more likely to be killed by one of the groups of grunts.

If I had to guess, you never noticed them before because your teammate might have taken them out before you got there. They are THAT EASY to kill.

Like I said there are issues in some rounds, but this isn't a good example.

Dice

The match making for arena has soured me from playing as much as i'd like to, too.

No, we're not missing the point. No, we are not saying we are professionals. Also, If you did not care you died, because of the beam rifle shooting at you, then why did you post an angry rant because of the beam rifle killing you?

It's not a F U design as it is easily countered with positioning, flanking and other general HALO things you figure out from the first 5 minutes of playing. I bet you had the same angry rant when you came across the crying witch in l4d huh? OR when the vex spawned behind you as you were doing a strike. Come on, dont bring other games in here ..

Again, place your anger on yourself and not on the game because you climbed on a garage, crouched, and smart linked your pistol versus a beam rifle jakal, who even gave you two warning shots. You fucked yourself, not the game design. It provided mercy. TWICE.

Again, place your anger on yourself and not the game. Relax, take a breather and play a different game if you think 343i is out for your bunghole-io!!!!!

BevisAndButthead.jpg
Again you're a professional at missing the point. You aren't even trying to listen to anything I'm saying, you're just sticking to this one example and pretending that all I care about is that I died here. The fact that you interpreted my prior post as "an angry rant that he killed me" shows that you aren't paying attention. I have plenty of times that I don't die at all. The problem isn't what happened here specifically or that things cannot be managed, it's that the whole thing is designed in a way that managing it requires so much defensiveness, meaning that the options that are viable are very few.

For example, how about those black soldiers that keep appearing during the warden fight in the tower? 3 hits from a suppressor and you're dead? How many magazines of direct hits do they take? 3? 4? And before you can even get to that you have to kill the watchers that shield them to make them completely invulnerable? Yeah, you can manage it. Every team seems to pretty easily handle the objective. Does that mean they need to make harder enemies? That death has to be able to come more instantly? No. It's already fucking annoying to deal with that shit. It isn't fun design even though you win every time, yet not because you win every time. It's not fun because highly defensive, narrow-strategy fighting against demigods is not fun.

Is that what the Jackal was? No. But the fact is he can still really fuck your shit up very quickly, very easily, which means you have to eliminate various options of play in order to deal with him first. He is one of very, very many option-narrowing elements. Finishing rounds is always comprised of eliminating particular enemies first in order to free up your ability to handle less annoying ones. Usually there is a clear hierarchy, and the method for handling each type usually has only a couple viable options, especially when you get into rounds that have a pressing time limit. Overall the methodology for beating the level becomes repetitive and almost static feeling, and that on top of being annoying rather than engaging is just not good.

If you don't understand what I'm saying now, I'll take it as intentionally fucking with me. I could not possibly be more clear.

Trup1aya

Again you're a professional at missing the point. You aren't even trying to listen to anything I'm saying, you're just sticking to this one example and pretending that all I care about is that I died here. The fact that you interpreted my prior post as "an angry rant that he killed me" shows that you aren't paying attention. I have plenty of times that I don't die at all. The problem isn't what happened here specifically or that things cannot be managed, it's that the whole thing is designed in a way that managing it requires so much defensiveness, meaning that the options that are viable are very few.

For example, how about those black soldiers that keep appearing during the warden fight in the tower? 3 hits from a suppressor and you're dead? How many magazines of direct hits do they take? 3? 4? And before you can even get to that you have to kill the watchers that shield them to make them completely invulnerable? Yeah, you can manage it. Every team seems to pretty easily handle the objective. Does that mean they need to make harder enemies? That death has to be able to come more instantly? No. It's already fucking annoying to deal with that shit. It isn't fun design even though you win every time, yet not because you win every time. It's not fun because highly defensive, narrow-strategy fighting against demigods is not fun.

Is that what the Jackal was? No. But the fact is he can still really fuck your shit up very quickly, very easily, which means you have to eliminate various options of play in order to deal with him first. He is one of very, very many option-narrowing elements. Finishing rounds is always comprised of eliminating particular enemies first in order to free up your ability to handle less annoying ones. Usually there is a clear hierarchy, and the method for handling each type usually has only a couple viable options, especially when you get into rounds that have a pressing time limit. Overall the methodology for beating the level becomes repetitive and almost static feeling, and that on top of being annoying rather than engaging is just not good.

If you don't understand what I'm saying now, I'll take it as intentionally fucking with me. I could not possibly be more clear.

I don't think it's an issue of people not understanding you, we just disagree.

Every single enemy in the game has strengths and weakness. As such, if you approach them in a way that plays to that enemies strengths, you will most likely fail.

It sounds like you want them to design the encounters so that any possible option you choose to take is serviceable. But that just doesn't sound like a good design philosophy to me.

you shouldn't try to cross map a sniper jackal with a pistol (unless you have much better aim), from an cover less position. That's like the ONLY option that is removed during this particular encounter. It's no different then saying you shouldn't try to melee a Hunter to death with your Assualt rifle or take out a grunt mech with An energy sword.

There ARE poorly designed encounters in this game mode. But the example you provided really isn't one of them.

Dice

That's like the ONLY option that is removed during this particular encounter.
Wrong. They can randomly fuck you up when you are anywhere that you are visible to them from nearly any distance. So the options removed are being anywhere visible to them fighting anything else until you first go out of your way to safely roll up on them.

Trup1aya

Wrong. They can randomly fuck you up when you are anywhere that you are visible to them from nearly any distance. So the options removed are being anywhere visible to them fighting anything else until you first go out of your way to safely roll up on them.

They really don't shoot that accurately. Most enemies shoot at you when they see you and they're are plenty that will kill you just as quickly because they are more accurate.

It took that jackal 6s to kill you from the time he fired his first shot till his last.... And you were basically immobile. the only real defense you need against this guys is a strafe. Also at close range, even in the open, you have the advantage.

Do you think snipers should just be removed from the game?

Akai__

Your MMR must be really high...

Don’t you quite often play in a group? I know I’ve matched you before when you were in a team of 4 and you guys slaughtered me and my randoms.

I exclusively play in a group, yeah. Can't stand playing alone. And if you look at our match history, it's actually not slaughtering. Once you are in Higher Onyx, you are getting pretty good and close matches, like you are supposed to. We have huge trouble playing objective modes, especially in Strongholds for example. People do stand a chance in the higher leagues, otherwise my Win/Loss % wouldn't be ~52%.

Would really love to know how high my MMR is compared to Pro's and where the cap is, if there is any. The reality is that Pro's are at least 5 Ranks above me. I absolutely don't stand a chance. TuFoxy and Mose were literally playing with us in that game.

It can be really good, but whenever stuff likes this happens, I feel like a Cruiser Weight Champion fighting against a Heavy Weight Champion.

Can only imagine how that must feel for people playing alone...

You are too good, Akai.. Too good.

I wish Dany, I wish. :'(

jem0208

I exclusively play in a group, yeah. Can't stand playing alone. And if you look at our match history, it's actually not slaughtering. Once you are in Higher Onyx, you are getting pretty good and close matches, like you are supposed to. We have huge trouble playing objective modes, especially in Strongholds for example. People do stand a chance in the higher leagues, otherwise my Win/Loss % wouldn't be ~52%.

Would really love to know how high my MMR is compared to Pro's and where the cap is, if there is any. The reality is that Pro's are at least 5 Ranks above me. I absolutely don't stand a chance. TuFoxy and Mose were literally playing with us in that game.
I bet the problem is that you’re matching and beating high MMR players who are playing solo causing your MMR to rise too high.

Played for the first time in a few weeks and had okay games. Probably would have sworn it off for a month if this happened to me lol

I've realized Strongholds is an impossible gametype without communication. Really wish King of the Hill would return.

Top Bottom