• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Bessy67

Defend anything against Forerunners is garbage.

ARC's round 2 one isn't bad, and Sanctum's round 3 defend the temple is fun. But yeah, both of the forerunner core ones on Urban, the defend the garage on ARC and the protect the generators on Darkstar are way too hard.

Oh yeah, not a fan of Apex 7's defend the spire either.

BradC00

there's gonna be a huge roster mania. CLG is gonna 4-0 E6. I could see E6, EG, C9, OG, and TL trying to poach players off other teams to create a super team to put an actual fight up against CLG. Plus Rammy and Cloud will for sure be invited to play with one of those teams.

The Flash

Banned
ARC's round 2 one isn't bad, and Sanctum's round 3 defend the temple is fun. But yeah, both of the forerunner core ones on Urban, the defend the garage on ARC and the protect the generators on Darkstar are way too hard.

Oh yeah, not a fan of Apex 7's defend the spire either.

The underlying problem, imo, is that the Prometheans are just not balanced well. Their overall HP, especially for knights, needs to be adjusted.

Bessy67

The underlying problem, imo, is that the Prometheans are just not balanced well. Their overall HP, especially for knights, needs to be adjusted.
IMO the vanilla knights are OK (shoot off one of the orbs then hit them in the face when they scream at you) but the soldiers are way too bullet-spongey. Although in some of the defend rounds when there are more than one knight or the more heavily armored variants that you can't shoot in the face then they're pretty OP.

Yeah they steal your hogs :)
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/a46ec32c-f4e6-40e8-8174-c6f5f0647fe3

How about the Covies? Check out this Jackal wrecking me (18secs).
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/010cfd6b-0fb2-4d55-b833-5cb5b4647b69

Bonus, listen to the grunt just after I die. Perfect comedic timing, that little bastard. It's rough but I still like FF isn't a cakewalk. Also finally had a win on Urban with randies the other night.

Also this is too good, sucks to be this twat and his buddy trying to steal our hog (10secs).
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/d21a85e4-8681-4c0a-980e-61a7e6a97bfd

The Flash

Banned
Oh great now the power is going out because of a thunderstorm...

IMO the vanilla knights are OK (shoot off one of the orbs then hit them in the face when they scream at you) but the soldiers are way too bullet-spongey. Although in some of the defend rounds when there are more than one knight or the more heavily armored variants that you can't shoot in the face then they're pretty OP.

Alright let's compromise. The Prometheans as a whole need to be taken down a notch.

How about the Covies? Check out this Jackal wrecking me (18secs).
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/010cfd6b-0fb2-4d55-b833-5cb5b4647b69

Bonus, listen to the grunt just after I die. Perfect comedic timing, that little bastard. It's rough but I still like FF isn't a cakewalk. Also finally had a win on Urban with randies the other night.

Also this is too good, sucks to be this twat and his buddy trying to steal our hog (10secs).
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/d21a85e4-8681-4c0a-980e-61a7e6a97bfd

I <3 grunts in this game.

BTM

So any chance anyone even gets somewhat close to CLG anytime soon? They're like 2 levels above everyone else

Trup1aya

I'm so salty right now. MLG and the coalition just posted the locations and prize pools for the next 6 Gears 4 open LAN tourneys... 343 and ESL haven't had a single one (and probably never will.

Pro league is cool and all, but LANs are key to fostering talent in the league. ESL needs to get on board.

I'm so salty right now. MLG and the coalition just posted the locations and prize pools for the next 6 Gears 4 open LAN tourneys... 343 and ESL haven't had a single one (and probably never will.

Pro league is cool and all, but LANs are key to fostering talent in the league. ESL needs to get on board.

I wonder if Gears 4 is going to get more esports attention than Halo 5 or Gears 3. Halo 5's got that relatively high skill floor that scares away lots of new players, but Gears of War, while difficult, has always been good about catering to different skill levels. That said, Gears 3 didn't have a competitive scene for very long. Just long enough, really, to show that MLG wasn't going to hang around for much longer. With competitive Halo 3 being pretty much dead by then, and Halo Reach being a nightmare to organize events around, it's kinda sad that Gears 3 didn't get to stay around for very long.

But I digress. I'm hopeful that, even if Halo 5 isn't getting a big push for competitive play, that Gears 4 will get its chance. It's a fun game, even if it barely tries to do anything new at all (it's basically Gears 3 the ability to slide over cover and pull entrenched enemies out of cover).

belushy

Banned
MLG had a big Gears open LAN tournament today and everytime I looked at the stream the viewers were down in the 4000s. Halo is a step up viewership wise but those LAN tournaments will bring a lot of the old school fans back. It could very well beat out Halo if the CLG domination continues for another whole season. Halo is just kinda boring right now.

I wonder if Gears 4 is going to get more esports attention than Halo 5 or Gears 3. Halo 5's got that relatively high skill floor that scares away lots of new players, but Gears of War, while difficult, has always been good about catering to different skill levels. That said, Gears 3 didn't have a competitive scene for very long. Just long enough, really, to show that MLG wasn't going to hang around for much longer. With competitive Halo 3 being pretty much dead by then, and Halo Reach being a nightmare to organize events around, it's kinda sad that Gears 3 didn't get to stay around for very long.

But I digress. I'm hopeful that, even if Halo 5 isn't getting a big push for competitive play, that Gears 4 will get its chance. It's a fun game, even if it barely tries to do anything new at all (it's basically Gears 3 the ability to slide over cover and pull entrenched enemies out of cover).

Where Gears innovates is in game modes, as opposed to game mechanics. Their new mode Escalation is completely different from anything else in Gears and it'll be the primary competitive mode. They have a video of a match being played of it from way back. It's probably on youtube somewhere.

But let's just say its hectic and crazy as fuck and pretty good for spectators

Trup1aya

MLG had a big Gears open LAN tournament today and everytime I looked at the stream the viewers were down in the 4000s. Halo is a step up viewership wise but those LAN tournaments will bring a lot of the old school fans back. It could very well beat out Halo if the CLG domination continues for another whole season. Halo is just kinda boring right now.

Well, Gears:UE was never really poised to do even H5 numbers. At the end of the day it's a remake to a rather old game, so I doubt the playerbase is even comparable to H5's at this point. Gears 4 on the other hand is being positioned to do pretty well competitively. For one, they already seem well prepared for the Pro Circuit, and the game hasn't even launched yet. 343i/ESL seemed to have been flying by the seats of their pants. And still are! 2) Gears incorporating both LAN and online competition into the circuit, so I imagine if it sells well, the competitive community will be more robust. With H5 being almost 100% online, then thrill of the competition is dampened a bit. 3) the game will be launching on PC and Xbox one simultaneously. There's a larger pool of gamers to pull interest from.

We shall see

I wonder if Gears 4 is going to get more esports attention than Halo 5 or Gears 3. Halo 5's got that relatively high skill floor that scares away lots of new players, but Gears of War, while difficult, has always been good about catering to different skill levels.
I disagree. Gears is very similar to Halo in that regard, especially this late in the franchise. I think people know that if you want to play Gears multiplayer in 2016, you need to be ready to get your shit rekt until you improve. That's one of the reasons why Horde is so important to Gears, much like Firefight should be to Halo.

I'm of the opinion that Halo's Firefight can be just as big as CoD's Zombies, justifying more resources if 343 should ever focus more on Firefight experiences:
  • Warzone Firefight (PvE)
  • Classic 4p Firefight (PvE)
  • Firefight Versus (4v4 PvP, different objectives like Generator Defense, elimination, etc., can control different factions of the Covenant, Flood, Prometheans)
  • Invasion Firefight (6v6 PvP, feels like Reach Invasion in design except you can control different factions of the Covenant, Flood, Prometheans)

The Flash

Banned
I disagree. Gears is very similar to Halo in that regard, especially this late in the franchise. I think people know that if you want to play Gears multiplayer in 2016, you need to be ready to get your shit rekt until you improve. That's one of the reasons why Horde is so important to Gears, much like Firefight should be to Halo.

I'm of the opinion that Halo's Firefight can be just as big as CoD's Zombies, justifying more resources if 343 should ever focus more on Firefight experiences:
  • Warzone Firefight (PvE)
  • Classic 4p Firefight (PvE)
  • Firefight Versus (4v4 PvP, different objectives like Generator Defense, elimination, etc., can control different factions of the Covenant, Flood, Prometheans)
  • Invasion Firefight (6v6 PvP, feels like Reach Invasion in design except you can control different factions of the Covenant, Flood, Prometheans)

Agree 100%. I'd happily pay for Firefight expansions if that's what it took.

The fact that they added a new vehicle and boss with the Firefight update makes me somewhat hopeful that'll be adding more stuff in the future.

Where Gears innovates is in game modes, as opposed to game mechanics. Their new mode Escalation is completely different from anything else in Gears and it'll be the primary competitive mode. They have a video of a match being played of it from way back. It's probably on youtube somewhere.

But let's just say its hectic and crazy as fuck and pretty good for spectators

Escalation looked great. I watched that stream and was enthralled by it. In the beta, Dodgeball was a real hoot.

Akai__

Nokyard teasing something that is "comming to Forge and Customs soon" in the Gorge thread. Anyone want to guess?

Tip: Not related to W10 Forge.

PS: HCS was bonkers. Frosty is the single most impressive player in a long time. CLG dominating like this is a little boring, but they deserve it 100%. Loved what I've seen from E6, too.

Trup1aya

Nokyard teasing something that is "comming to Forge and Customs soon" in the Gorge thread. Anyone want to guess?

Tip: Not related to W10 Forge.

PS: HCS was bonkers. Frosty is the single most impressive player in a long time. CLG dominating like this is a little boring, but they deserve it 100%. Loved what I've seen from E6, too.

I wonder what it'll take to get other teams to care as much as CLG does. I don't think the partnership with ESL is doing enough to grow the scene. That coupled with the lack of P2p support makes for a scene so small, that I think current pros feel safe.

The boringness that is CLG dominance is at least partially mitigated by Frosty's awesomeness.

The Flash

Banned
Something I think they could add in Firefight to help would be time bonuses for completing rounds. Say you complete a round in 3 minutes, the remaining 2 minutes would be split and you'd get an extra minute at the start of the next round.

Breakout was a cool idea.

But it was a bad mode. It was bad and not very fun.

Breakout remains one of the most depressing things about Halo 5. God knows how many man-hours they sunk into it trying to make it fun, instead of literally anything else.

"Is it fun yet?"

"No."

"More grids dammit!"

Fuchsdh

I still like Breakout a lot, and was sad when Arena Breakout disappeared, because that solved my only complaint with the mode, the inconsistency in damage/health values.

At least the pieces are really cool for Forge effects.

I too thought Arena Breakout was a lot more fun than standard Breakout. The only issue though was when you're outnumbered because of how easy it is to escape encounters when you have shields and another teammate shooting at the same enemy. You obviously can't shoot two people at once, but the high lethality of standard Breakout made these situations more fair.

To help with that in Arena Breakout I'd propose a change to starting weapons, replacing the H5 Magnum with the CE Pistol.

Top Bottom