• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Started to get back into Halo 5. The controls seem off for some reason? Is it me or is there a noticeable amount of input delay in the controls? I rarely melee because there is a noticeable delay between when I press and when the animation occurs. I haven't had this problem in previous halo games before. My tv is on game mode btw.

There's a slight delay with melee attacks now because of the way Spartan Abilities are managed, but it shouldn't be game-breaking. On the ground, melee / Spartan Charge will behave as normal, but note that you can have a delay of up to 0.25 seconds when meleeing in the air because it's also the button for Ground Pound. The way the melee button is scripted to work in-air is:

1. If the player releases Melee button in less than 0.25 seconds, perform melee attack
2. If player holds Melee button for more than 0.25 seconds, initiate Ground Pound windup
3. Exception: if player has an enemy in their sights (a "cone" that more or less detects enemies the way melee-lunging does in past games), perform a standard melee attack.

It's a hard habit to break, but to optimize it make sure that you're only tapping Melee and releasing it immediately after you press it in-air, instead of holding it down for a bit like you may have done in past games.

EDIT: that being said, if you're experiencing lag across the board, make sure that your TV's display is set to "dot-by-dot" if possible (e.g. displaying full, native resolution) and that nothing's obstructing the connection between your controller and your XBO (provided it's wireless).

Anon67

There's a slight delay with melee attacks now because of the way Spartan Abilities are managed, but it shouldn't be game-breaking. On the ground, melee / Spartan Charge will behave as normal, but note that you can have a delay of up to 0.25 seconds when meleeing in the air because it's also the button for Ground Pound. The way the melee button is scripted to work in-air is:

1. If the player releases Melee button in less than 0.25 seconds, perform melee attack
2. If player holds Melee button for more than 0.25 seconds, initiate Ground Pound windup
3. Exception: if player has an enemy in their sights (a "cone" that more or less detects enemies the way melee-lunging does in past games), perform a standard melee attack.

It's a hard habit to break, but to optimize it make sure that you're only tapping Melee and releasing it immediately after you press it in-air, instead of holding it down for a bit like you may have done in past games.

This is highly informative. Thank you!

BraXzy

I caught the same GDC talk, super interesting how the resolved those control scheme/input issues.

I caught the same GDC talk, super interesting how the resolved those control scheme/input issues.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how they refine the controls for the next title. I mean granted, everything is pretty manageable to begin with, but I'm expecting a Halo 2 -> Halo 3 level of iterative improvement, considering Halo 3 gave us "micromanaging" dual wielding whereas H5G leaves a bit to be desired with allocation of all the abilities.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how they refine the controls for the next title. I mean granted, everything is pretty manageable to begin with, but I'm expecting a Halo 2 -> Halo 3 level of iterative improvement, considering Halo 3 gave us "micromanaging" dual wielding whereas H5G leaves a bit to be desired with allocation of all the abilities.

I'd prefer to have ground pound on the same button as action/reload, there are few situations where having a reload delayed by a split second while in the air makes a difference but it can be pretty crucial for melee strikes.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'll get there, eventually...

HPu4ppR.png

I did it today, so you can do it aswell.
The grind is tough though

How many onyx ppl do we have actively posting here? I know i can look up on halowaypoint but thatll take too long for me. :p

Id never be an onyx because i like to thrust off maps looking for an enemy. :p

of course others will say its cause i sux and need to git gud but who are we kidding?? :p

I'd prefer to have ground pound on the same button as action/reload, there are few situations where having a reload delayed by a split second while in the air makes a difference but it can be pretty crucial for melee strikes.

If I had an Elite I could see this working, but as-is I really don't feel like having to hit B to do a Ground Pound.

I'm diamond 5 in slayer, I'll be onyx in Arena and Slayer by seasons end. The solo grind is tough.

What did 343 place you at after your first 10 matches? I have a feeling they put you in a lower bracket on purpose so you have a reason to keep playing and increase your rank to what you got last season.

Ex : placed plat 3 ended on diamond 3
Ex : placed plat 4 ended on diamond 1
This season: placed plat 5 now at diamond 1

What did 343 place you at after your first 10 matches? I have a feeling they put you in a lower bracket on purpose so you have a reason to keep playing and increase your rank to what you got last season.

Ex : placed plat 3 ended on diamond 3
Ex : placed plat 4 ended on diamond 1
This season: placed plat 5 now at diamond 1
I placed diamond 1 in Slayer and Platinum 5 in Arena. Arena is at Diamond 2 now.

BraXzy

How many onyx ppl do we have actively posting here? I know i can look up on halowaypoint but thatll take too long for me. :p

Id never be an onyx because i like to thrust off maps looking for an enemy. :p

of course others will say its cause i sux and need to git gud but who are we kidding?? :p

Well depending on how hard I try/grind I can hit Onyx *humblebrag* but this season I've only done it in SWAT so far (still counts!).

If I had an Elite I could see this working, but as-is I really don't feel like having to hit B to do a Ground Pound.

I wonder if paddles/buttons in their place becomes standard for the next generation of controllers. Even if I'm playing a game that doesn't use all buttons I end up remapping the bumpers or face buttons to them for ease of access. Far too good.

And im guessing you got onyx in each playlist the previous seasons. Interesting.
Nope, but I also haven't played much Arena due to REQ grinding. I have everything unlocked now and I have a surplus of REQ points. So it's road to Onyx time. I went from Diamond 1 > 5 in 1 day. It also sucks as our parties are usually too large for arena until 3am when everyone is tired and starts to play down to FATstronauts level.

Well depending on how hard I try/grind I can hit Onyx *humblebrag* but this season I've only done it in SWAT so far (still counts!).
Swat and Breakout don't count.

BraXzy

And im guessing you got onyx in each playlist the previous seasons. Interesting.

Previous seasons definitely had a lot of weighting in season 2, but I feel like that has been tweaked. I remember because one season I was Onyx 1600 ish, next season placements I did terribly but still placed Onyx partly because I often played against them in said placements but I'm pretty sure the past season had a lot to do with it.

Not sure if they've made changes to that though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The lag in normal modes is completely unbearable now. I'll be walking and get teleported back 20-30 feet, people teleporting all over the place, shots not registering all over, I'll be firing my BR at someone far away in peace and then suddenly it's like 5 seconds of action happens in a flash all around me with explosions and dead people and everything. This is far, faaaaar worse than it has ever been before, actually completely unplayable so I just quit my last game. I hope it isn't just what happens when there is a firefight mode available.

BraXzy

Nope, but I also haven't played much Arena due to REQ grinding. I have everything unlocked now and I have a surplus of REQ points. So it's road to Onyx time. I went from Diamond 1 > 5 in 1 day. It also sucks as our parties are usually too large for arena until 3am when everyone is tired and starts to play down to FATstronauts level.

It doesn't take me till 3am to reach FATstonauts level of play 😂 I'm afraid that's where I start and it's downhill from there.

Swat and Breakout don't count.

GDI I guess I'll have to finish my Slayer placements later or maybe solo queue Team Arena. What's the worst that could happen?

Gah i forget yall have groups to carry you to onyx...

/kappa

Jus playing boyzzzzzzz.

Welp family n the wife n kids went to the mall. Time to order a pizza , wings and beat qb! Once that is done ill hop on
rotr and finally beat it. Hah.. Yeah :( not gonna happen cause im addicted to halo 5 slayer

I wonder if paddles/buttons in their place becomes standard for the next generation of controllers. Even if I'm playing a game that doesn't use all buttons I end up remapping the bumpers or face buttons to them for ease of access. Far too good.

I really hope so. If we were able to assign controls to the paddles independent of other buttons entirely it'd really open up possible controls.

Also, went ahead and mocked up a suggestion for a control scheme based on Bumper Jumper:

Start Menu
Back View Scoreboard

RT Fire Weapon
LT Throw Grenade
RB Melee
LB Jump / PRESS In-air: Jump Jet / HOLD In-air: Clamber

A Sprint
B Action / Reload
X Thruster
Y Switch Weapons

LS Move / Click: Crouch
RS Aim / Click: Smart-link

DPad Up Ping Location
DPad Dn Ping Hologram
DPad L Switch Grenades
DPad R Switch Grenades

Accessing Spartan Abilities
Slide At top speed, click LS.
Spartan Charge At top speed, press RB.
Smart-Scope Press RS.
Stabilizers In the air, hold LS + RS. Can be performed in or out of scope; combo does not place you in scope (can be enabled using the Auto-Stabilizer toggle in settings).
Clamber In-air: Hold LB after either your first or second jump.
Jump Jet While in the air, press LB to perform a second jump.
Ground Pound In-air: Hold LB + RB. This replaces your Jump Jet (second jump).
Hologram Down on the DPad will summon a hologram, which goes in the direction of your line-of-sight. It has three modes:
  • PRESS (or HOLD <1 second): Hologram spawns nonmoving.
  • HOLD 2 seconds: Hologram runs forward ("classic" version).
  • HOLD 3 seconds: Hologram sprints forward.

Suggested Paddle Layout (Elite)
Paddle L1 (upper) Sprint
Paddle L2 Ping Hologram
Paddle R1 Thruster
Paddle R2 Switch Grenades

pieface

So many people quitting today, so fucking annoying. The fact I can't quit after otherwise I'll be banned is ridiculous. 4v2 is pointless.

JackHerer

God I hope there is no jump jet or double jump in H6. That's one thing I'm very glad got nixed.

Edit: or holograms, none of that garbage pls. The control scheme is already complicated enough without adding gimmicks like that.

I honestly think adding any more significant abilities is just not worth it for H6. The abilities were a successful addition but they shouldn't push their luck. If they want to add anything I wouldn't mind seeing equipment (H3) reintroduced (primarily for Warzone).

Holograms are, like, the one thing I feel are missing from the H5G sandbox. I mean fuck, just give us a common Spartan Laser variant that poops out Holograms or something.

Video of Holograms from Reach plz

They were in Halo 4, too. Here's two basic examples of their applications. Important things to know are that they run in a straight line towards the area you deploy them to (line-of-sight), and will eventually disappear over time. You can disable them early by damaging them; in Halo 4, they added ability to make them change directions in the event that they somehow passed their destination marker (e.g. sending them up a grav lift), and have them auto-teabag if they walk over a corpse.

They were in Halo 4, too. Here's two basic examples of their applications. Important things to know are that they run in a straight line towards the area you deploy them to (line-of-sight), and will eventually disappear over time. You can disable them early by damaging them; in Halo 4, they added ability to make them change directions in the event that they somehow passed their destination marker (e.g. sending them up a grav lift), and have them auto-teabag if they walk over a corpse.

Oh, I remember them on MCC!
It's a little shitty :(

ElRenoRaven

That looks fun as hell. They really need a full time race playlist.

God I hope there is no jump jet or double jump in H6. That's one thing I'm very glad got nixed.

Edit: or holograms, none of that garbage pls. The control scheme is already complicated enough without adding gimmicks like that.

I honestly think adding any more significant abilities is just not worth it for H6. The abilities were a successful addition but they shouldn't push their luck. If they want to add anything I wouldn't mind seeing equipment (H3) reintroduced (primarily for Warzone).

Yea leave it like it is now. You don't always have to keep adding shit just to add it. H5 is pushing it. I'd personally do away with the thrust and the ground pound abilities but even with then the gameplay is fun. I never wanna see all the crap added in Reach brought back. Loved that game but god I hated Armor Abilities.

That Reach video reminded me that someone remade the Cage in Halo 5. We played it and customs and I still wonder why someone remade such a trash map. It keeps me up at night, but not in the way FATs' mom does.

JackHerer

Just played a Slayer match with Ninja randomly on my team. I did pretty well I think, we had a nice comeback at the end. Was an intense 50-49er. I'm still a lowly Diamond in Slayer but I'm getting matched with pros.... Pretty sure it's him at least.

Note: I'm lPwnsome

Was also getting some CRAZY lag that game vs this one player (who happened to be getting most of their kills). Not only were my shots not registering but the aim assist wasn't working for him at times. Check the end of this clip: http://xboxclips.com/lPwnsome/20d780dd-f000-4a39-b83b-ba7bc734ea67

I take a couple shots and it does nothing so I try to bail. I couldn't tell at first if he just did like some ridiculous strafe or something and I just choked but once he started teleporting later on I knew it wasn't just me.

Alright, well if nobody else is going to light the fuse on this dumpster fire of a marketplace of ideas, I guess I'll have to take matters into my own hands: GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

jS7BtF3.png

[prinz eugn softly weeping in the distance]

Holorail
ONI's skunkworks rail-mounted holographic projector. Sends a Hologram decoy in shape of the user to a determined point based on line-of-sight, while Smart-link causes the decoy to Sprint at full speed for a short amount of time before dissipating. Charging the weapon causes the decoy to remain stationary on appearance. Hologram will fail if it sustains enough damage.

REQ variations:

Doppelgänger
I don't know which one to shoot! Modified Holorail that fires decoys with moderate homing capabilities; physical contact with a Spartan (alive or dead) will cause the Hologram to vanish and release an EMP effect as well as lingering damage around the area of impact. More than one Hologram can be active at once.

The Hollow Men
Cut out the middleman and bring the light to them. Dramatically altered Holorail that exclusively fires sprinting decoys made of Kinetic Bolt condensations that will displace and damage vehicles in its path. On time-out or failure, the Hologram generates a powerful explosion with EMP effects. User is granted poor Active Camo while a Hologram is active.

Top Bottom