• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

halo 5 SR system sucks compared to previous games...shit tier rewards

hope 343 improves alot in H6
-BtB dev maps
-leveling system improved
-daily/weekly/montly(?) challenges
-classic firefight
-solid dlc arena maps...
-no more "waiting for REQs to load 10 hours"
-UI...

and something i would like to see balance wise if they don't remove spartan charge then at least make it so whenever you use SC your thrusters are locked on cooldown and vice versa

Yeah, the SR system is garbage.

It doesn't feel rewarding at all. Reach also had an insane grind. However, the ranks actually felt rewarding. It was great to get Hero, Legend, Reclaimer, or whatever and getting a cool icon. Also there were things to always work on achieving like Armor Effects. If you wanted a specific item you could save for it and get it. Now it's just a bullshit RNG req system. I really don't like the req system. Does it work? Yeah and it probably made 343i a lot of money. However, I wish more things were tied to skill and dedication. Like why not give some one that hits SR 152 some type of special armor? Now it's just oh, here's some number, some shit reqs, and some lame nameplate.

Fuchsdh

I love the Halo Wars 2 Menu.
Its So clean and fast. Challenges in place. The lobby is also great. You can see the players you are up against in the loading screen.

It is A halo UI.

Eh, it's got some issues too, namely a MCC-like horizontal menu that, unlike the MCC, doesn't show where you are in the previous hierarchy. While it's great that it's got a quick match/campaign option, drilling down to the right mode you want or customizing your campaign is a lot harder than it needs to be.

There's also really frustrating missteps like having the campaign mission selected default to the first mission as soon as you back out, no matter what your progression or progress on the campaign.

Detective

Man, I matched some team yesterday on WZ where some of their teammates was on my team. Giving away positions. One of them died 37 times with 0 contribute.

In the end, I dropped 50+ kills on their asses and we won. Feeling good :D

Somebody sell me on the Elite controller.

I cant play a fps anymore unless im using my elite. i use two short paddles that substitute A and B. some have mastered all 4, but that's too much for me.

plus the extra features within the xbox app for the elite controller are a nice addition.

Detective

I cant play a fps anymore unless im using my elite. i use two short paddles that substitute A and B. some have mastered all 4, but that's too much for me.

plus the extra features within the xbox app for the elite controller is a nice addition.

Same here, But am using all four. :D

If am not using the elite than I've to play bumper jumper which am not used too.

Gwyn

plus the extra features within the xbox app for the elite controller are a nice addition.

Same, and short triggers help too! i tried 4 and i can't hit the bottom paddles although i didn't really give a good try just 1-2 days.

I guess if i try all 4 paddles for 1-2 weeks i might get used to

I also use a profile for forza horizon 3 to switch gears

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

it feels soooo good to hold. the bumpers are a god send, as is the trigger stops.

but buy an extended warranty. actually, if you arent comfortable taking it apart to replace parts, i cant recommend it. at least till a refresh addressing the major build problems

Did you guys really feel like your shot got a lot better using paddles (assuming your thrust is on it)?

not only using paddles, but because i used the tall precision stick and adjusted accordingly. with the paddles my right thumbs is on the stick more often than before and now i can jump/thrust/aim/crouch easier.

BizzyBum

I couldn't imagine playing Halo 5 without it. In fact, I would stop playing if the Elite controller vanished.

I find it far superior to Scufs. People complain the paddles are too sensitive but that's the biggest pro for me since I use all 4 paddles. Using all 4 on the Scuf is simply impossible the way they are designed. If you just use 1 or 2 it's doable but even then they don't feel as comfortable as the Elite.

Did you guys really feel like your shot got a lot better using paddles (assuming your thrust is on it)?

Your shot will dramatically improve simply because you never have to remove your thumb off the stick.

TCKaos

Is there still place for more players on the company?

I don't think so, but I don't know why we wouldn't be able to, uh, open a spot.

Also, guys, how do you feel about the extended thumb stick? My main issue is that I play video games like a gorilla and slam the thumb stick around trying to get my reticule to stay on my target with absolutely no finesse. I've been playing at sensitivity 1 and 2 since Halo 3 to compensate for it.

I'm hoping the extended thumb stick will curb my shitty aiming habits a bit and that the paddles will help me not need to take my thumb off of the stick at all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Also, guys, how do you feel about the extended thumb stick? My main issue is that I play video games like a gorilla and slam the thumb stick around trying to get my reticule to stay on my target with absolutely no finesse. I've been playing at sensitivity 1 and 2 since Halo 3 to compensate for it.

I'm hoping the extended thumb stick will curb my shitty aiming habits a bit and that the paddles will help me not need to take my thumb off of the stick at all.

i use it for racing games, where tiny movements are needed and could probably adjust to it for halo, but never bothered.

I have gone back and forth for years (I had FPS Freeks on the 360) on tall and regular thumbsticks and the difference is marginal, but I seem to get slightly better results with a taller stick. Takes some getting use to though.

Your shot will dramatically improve simply because you never have to remove your thumb off the stick.

I'm a wierdo and still take my thumb off for jump and switching weapons, but having melee and sprint/stabilize on the pads is so nice. I play with auto-stabilize off so it's great with that setup.

I also play inverted if that helps fuel your hate for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a wierdo and still take my thumb off for jump and switching weapons, but having melee and sprint/stabilize on the pads is so nice. I play with auto-stabilize off so it's great with that setup.

I play inverted as well. Can't imagine any other way. Everyone else are the weird ones.

Fuchsdh

I have basically used the default control schemes for every Halo game until Halo 5 (use the "Reclaimer"/H4 version since I don't care that much about ADS versus grenades.

I have basically used the default control schemes for every Halo game until Halo 5 (use the "Reclaimer"/H4 version since I don't care that much about ADS versus grenades.
Same! I used default and now I use 4. With slit and paddle mapping. Reclaimed better be in 6.

Play inverted, but left-right, just to fuck with people.

EgqnRyp.gif

Ok cool please let me know if you do it, I know someone who wants to enter

Trup1aya

I play inverted as well. Can't imagine any other way. Everyone else are the weird ones.

I hate people who don't play inverted.

In fact, I hate that inverted is called inverted... it should be default.

Haruko

I played "inverted" on N64 shooters (which *was* the default, then, i think? granted it is C buttons instead of a stick), but when I first played Halo CE it was on Default and I've played Default sticks ever since.

Madness

Is this really a good thing?

Yes. The arguments against its removal saying people would quit if they saw who they matched up with are now laughable and don't hold up especially when quitting was more rampant in H5 than any Halo game I have played. Don't think I have yet to play a single day of this game where I didn't see quitting, whether it is Arena, Warzone, even Firefight. But it allowed you to see more than just a thumbnail emblem, you could trashtalk and look up other players. Look how much better the UI looks in H5 when you are in a party or team or when you match in arena. Even worse is Super Fiesta where one emblem is like dropped onto the next row.

Fuchsdh

Yes. The arguments against its removal saying people would quit if they saw who they matched up with are now laughable and don't hold up especially when quitting was more rampant in H5 than any Halo game I have played. Don't think I have yet to play a single day of this game where I didn't see quitting, whether it is Arena, Warzone, even Firefight. But it allowed you to see more than just a thumbnail emblem, you could trashtalk and look up other players. Look how much better the UI looks in H5 when you are in a party or team or when you match in arena. Even worse is Super Fiesta where one emblem is like dropped onto the next row.

Honestly I think some of the "quitting" is actually disconnects these days.

Fuchsdh

Still waiting on Invasion (like two groups were claiming to release their own versions but never did), or Extraction.

Invasion shouldn't be that hard... they had a guy do a decent approximation of it in Halo 4, I can't imagine you can't do it now with more control and scripting.

Got my 100 marine kills in for the day. Gonna' have to carry you all across the finish line on my back.

As Fushcdsfhsagh pointed out, there is a depressingly high chance the game dropped them out or crashed for them.

belushy

Banned
Invasion shouldn't be that hard... they had a guy do a decent approximation of it in Halo 4, I can't imagine you can't do it now with more control and scripting.

Got my 100 marine kills in for the day. Gonna' have to carry you all across the finish line on my back.

You know what now that I think about it, they might be waiting for that stability update for forge to hit.

Top Bottom