• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Haruko

There's pretty much no worse feeling than getting killed by a Marine, but in groups of more than two they are surprisingly lethal if you don't headshot them down immediately.

Sometimes they spawn while hurling frags at you with scary precision, too...

Me and zorplex+vmvash did some farming tonight; got a few dozen charges in SWAT, and marine/ground vehicle/splatters in warzone.

Tried action sack but didn't get either of the rally races to farm, sadly.

Cranster

Banned
Started up a match of Warzone firefight and not only did I get booted out from my fireteam and the match before it started I literally got booted to the dashboard.

EDIT: Can 343i seriously screw off with making weapon layout changes to multiplayer? The new version of Empire is complete trash.

#ForTheCompany

A1yFGaph.jpg

I AM THE GREATEST.

what was your strat?

actually... what is the best strat for each map?
I find not having control of the main base on each maps helps a LOT, apex for example you can camp on your balcony and pick them off over and over, and on stormbreak you have the angle to drop them from a safe position.

Trup1aya

Got a bunch of marines once when during a temporary trip cap. Got in their home base and started killing marines, but then they captured a garage. The marines kept respawing for a while, but eventually quit.

IHaveIce

Banned
If I get kicked because I don't participate in Exwife's BTB or Warzone farmsessions then fuck you guys.

I play about 3 nights a week and about 3 games minimum per night then.

You guys are getting really annoying with this dumb armor. I want to be in the company to invite people of the company or look at their file sharing easily.

Shame that the people I liked to play with aren't playing that much anymore.

Ade

If I get kicked because I don't participate in Exwife's BTB or Warzone farmsessions then fuck you guys.

You guys are getting really annoying with this dumb armor. I want to be in the company to invite people of the company or look at their file sharing easily.

I don't think mandatory grouping up was ever said to be a deal breaker.

FyreWulff

fucking Wars 1 DE

had the super scarab down to a sliver of health and it decided to just kill my base. lost the mission

*shakes fist*

link1201

Halo 5 engagement is actually growing according to Phil Spencer. Kind of incredible for the game since it is a year old. The dedication to improving forge/custom games has worked out.

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q?t=43m40s
I still kinda wish they'd release some DLC story missions. I liked the idea of Spartan Ops not the execution. I was sad it got dropped not improved upon. I think that would help with player retention as well.

Fuchsdh

fucking Wars 1 DE

had the super scarab down to a sliver of health and it decided to just kill my base. lost the mission

*shakes fist*

Haha yeah, just happened to me. Dunno why, but Legendary is giving me more trouble than when I beat it the first time. Maybe I've just forgotten after two+ years since I played HW1.

I still kinda wish they'd release some DLC story missions. I liked the idea of Spartan Ops not the execution. I was sad it got dropped not improved upon. I think that would help with player retention as well.

Yep, especially since it's another area they could hook in calling in REQs. Even if nothing in the mission design had changed, if they'd just cut down to original Spartan Ops seasons to 3 of the best missions in each chapter, I think it'd be remembered a lot more fondly. There was just too much button-pushing filler dragging overall perception down.

Haruko

There's a huge gulf between 3 games a night, 3 times a week, and this:

When you've got people who post in this thread all the time with fewer than 25 games under their belt for 2017, or who have played for exactly one sitting in three months, or who haven't played since September of 2016, or haven't played since April 28th 2016, and those people outnumber the people who actually fucking play the game by a factor of nearly 4 to 1, there's a massive issue on the communal level that needs to be addressed.

There's 6 mo.+ sabbaticals that haven't been kicked yet; I think most of us would be thrilled if people did even 5 games a week, let alone 9.

I don't think anyone's eager to kick more people; we'd much rather find ways to get people back on even once in a while.

FyreWulff

Haha yeah, just happened to me. Dunno why, but Legendary is giving me more trouble than when I beat it the first time. Maybe I've just forgotten after two+ years since I played HW1.

Yep, especially since it's another area they could hook in calling in REQs. Even if nothing in the mission design had changed, if they'd just cut down to original Spartan Ops seasons to 3 of the best missions in each chapter, I think it'd be remembered a lot more fondly. There was just too much button-pushing filler dragging overall perception down.

Yeah Legendary feels WAY harder than the original. I wonder if when they increased the game to 60fps, if the AI logic is also running at double speed now too, so any idle time is basically giving the AI more stuff to think about.

It was a similar thing to when you increased the gamespeed in C&C and stuff, every time you pause to think about something the AI is doing tons of moves and builds than you're used to.

what was your strat?

actually... what is the best strat for each map?
I find not having control of the main base on each maps helps a LOT, apex for example you can camp on your balcony and pick them off over and over, and on stormbreak you have the angle to drop them from a safe position.

I used camo to sneak in to their home base while we had all bases captured then they took an armory and I just chilled in their home

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching a little bit of Optic scrimming NV last night and they were getting quite salty during a slayer match. Getting hyped for this weekend.

TCKaos

Then you'll be happy to know that I didn't flag you broheim.

Like I've tried to say, the lack of Achilles this late in the game is an emblematic issue for a lack of player engagement for HaloGAF insofar as if we had as many players as it seems like we should then we'd have it already. The armor isn't the primary concern.

Anyway, my results of the activity survey for the company are as follows:
Inactive (1+ month of no activity): 37
Borderline (very few games in 2017): 14
Standard/Casual: 28
Regular/Enthusiast: 21

Standard/Casual is best described as playing maybe once a week, for a game or two at a time. Enthusiasts play multiple times a week for multiple games. Players that are inactive are so inactive that they wouldn't notice they were gone. We're talking barely 10 games in 2017. some have no games charted since July or September. I would personally remove all of the inactive players and some of the borderline players (though, to be fair, some players I placed in the casual bracket don't play often but play just just enough to where I'm not comfortable removing them, as they might be gaining from being in the company and might generally fun to play with).

jem0208

Then you'll be happy to know that I didn't flag you broheim.

Like I've tried to say, the lack of Achilles this late in the game is an emblematic issue for a lack of player engagement for HaloGAF insofar as if we had as many players as it seems like we should then we'd have it already. The armor isn't the primary concern.

Anyway, my results of the activity survey for the company are as follows:
Inactive (1+ month of no activity): 37
Borderline (very few games in 2017): 14
Standard/Casual: 28
Regular/Enthusiast: 21

Standard/Casual is best described as playing maybe once a week, for a game or two at a time. Enthusiasts play multiple times a week for multiple games. Players that are inactive are so inactive that they wouldn't notice they were gone. We're talking barely 10 games in 2017. some have no games charted since July or September. I would personally remove all of the inactive players and some of the borderline players (though, to be fair, some players I placed in the casual bracket don't play often but play just just enough to where I'm not comfortable removing them, as they might be gaining from being in the company and might generally fun to play with).

Out of curiosity where did I fall in this? I'd assume casual but it might be borderline as I've had a very busy year so far...

Gt is iL meanbean Li by the way.

TCKaos

Out of curiosity where did I fall in this? I'd assume casual but it might be borderline as I've had a very busy year so far...

Gt is iL meanbean Li by the way.

You're at casual, but that's not a bad thing.

I'm still refining the list, but I can't stress it enough that all I'm doing is looking at a barebones analysis of actual gameplay activity. I'm not looking at the types of games people are playing or how well they're playing them. Furthermore, I have no power in acting with the company, and Gringo is actually the only active member of the moderation staff.

Sounds like I should start playing this game again. Have I been kicked from the company yet? You'll love so many spartan charge kills if so!

Are ground vehicle kills still the mountain that needs climbed?

Sordid

I'm probably in borderline, I've only managed about 40 matches this year. Don't have much time at the moment unfortunately. Kick me if you want to dudes.

The old gigantic Halo 3 thread is what made me join GAF back in the day and I joined the SC because I still consider myself a HaloGAFfer even if I haven't been able to play much this past while. I didn't sign up for the helmet really & my timezone doesn't align with the Warzone parties so even if I do play it's always solo.

Yeah, would love to know where you got this impression. We're discussing people who literally don't play (which would negate your concern about inviting people to play) vs having people that do. I would have thought no one would object to that. It's quite bizarre to me how #triggered folks seem to get when we bring this shit up. Is it not better to have active players in the company for those of us who still play?

Also, farming? Definitely not in BTB (we always are playing to win, but I know some folks have issues with that too, so fuck me indeed). In Warzone? Debateable. Lately, we've been going out of our way to get more marine kills, but winning is still the primary goal. Is calling in more vehicles farming?

About the only "farming" we do is in action sack, and only on the shitty race gametypes (which is more fun than the gametypes proper), and even then, we're not screwing over the other players (like the rallyhog race griefer assholes).

We also play standard arena games and customs, but I guess you'd have to actually play with us and know what the fuck you were talking about to know that, huh?

BizzyBum

Bro, relax. You play the game, that's all we ask. We're not going to kick you if you play the game, even if you just play solo all the time.

Can I ask why you don't like to play with us, though? You seem to have a warped view of how we play. We don't play just to farm. ExWife broke it down perfectly in his post. You don't even need to talk if you don't want, just join our group one night and see.

I feel like people think there's some sort of clique with ExWife and the "regulars" and everyone else in the SC. Please, if you see us on, just join. I mean, FATstronaut is kinda a douche and runs you over in Warzone a lot, but you'll learn to tolerate him.

To add to this ^^^ any of my lobbies are open to "Friends and Spartan Company" so there is nothing actively preventing folks from joining in.

Karl2177

To add to this ^^^ any of my lobbies are open to "Friends and Spartan Company" so there is nothing actively preventing folks from joining in.
Whenever I click join in I'm instantly greeted with a KAAAAARL every time. If your name isn't Karl, I wouldn't recommend joining.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this seems like a good opportunity to say pls continue to invite me if you see me online. i'm a father of 3 and a husband, often times i'm playing with the idea that every game is my last and my attention split between halo and life, so i ignore invites and almost never use a mic. but sometimes (i like to think) i accept them. unless you are playing trash btb or warzone. that stuff is terrible.

of course the only time i seem to actually party up with gaffers is post matchmaking matchup. so, if you randomly see me in matchmaking, hump my body a few times to get my attention, then invite.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
this seems like a good opportunity to say pls continue to invite me if you see me online. i'm a father of 3 and a husband, often times i'm playing with the idea that every game is my last and my attention split between halo and life, so i ignore invites and almost never use a mic. but sometimes (i like to think) i accept them. unless you are playing trash btb or warzone. that stuff is terrible.

of course the only time i seem to actually party up with gaffers is post matchmaking matchup. so, if you randomly see me in matchmaking, hump my body a few times to get my attention, then invite.

Lol, sounds like my brother.

Trup1aya

I second this.

I play with the expectation that I'll have to leave in the middle of any match (due to wife, kid, or work) so I often soloq mic-less. But if you don't mind all that inv me and I'll play.

I kinda hate BTB though
pistol starts please

TCKaos

Okay, I think I figured it out - my brain is hardwired to think that when I'm using my left hand to jump ('cause I've got it on the left paddle) that I should hit the left bumper, since I'm used to Bumper Jumper, which I used all through 3/Reach/4/MCC. So now whenever I decide that I need to jump there's a 50/50 chance that I nade myself instead.

Curse you, muscle memory.

mo60

I've been trying to pull more camo in arena and war zone to try and get some assassinations, and I swear it's like I have a "look at this dumbass trying to be clever" signs above my head when I do it.

Usually If I get lucky in Team Arena I can get assassinations by sneaking up to a player that is standing still with camo if it's on the map or by quietly moving towards the player and then assassinating them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I think I figured it out - my brain is hardwired to think that when I'm using my left hand to jump ('cause I've got it on the left paddle) that I should hit the left bumper, since I'm used to Bumper Jumper, which I used all through 3/Reach/4/MCC. So now whenever I decide that I need to jump there's a 50/50 chance that I nade myself instead.

Curse you, muscle memory.

I keep wanting to use my paddles for jump and thrust, but it is too much for my old brain.

Also got an assassination last night to win the match..felt good.

Top Bottom