• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

BizzyBum

Okay, I think I figured it out - my brain is hardwired to think that when I'm using my left hand to jump ('cause I've got it on the left paddle) that I should hit the left bumper, since I'm used to Bumper Jumper, which I used all through 3/Reach/4/MCC. So now whenever I decide that I need to jump there's a 50/50 chance that I nade myself instead.

Curse you, muscle memory.

It took me like a week or two to get comfortable with it. Once you do, it's a game changer.

This upcoming update is playing with my heart. Please actually work :/

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/patch-party

Multiplayer

Fixed issue where damage done at the end of a match was not properly being reported in the damage dealt and accuracy stats
Fixed issue where grenade damage was not properly being reported in the damage dealt stat

Movement speed and jump height now have 0% option in custom game settings
Added custom game option to control clean up times for weapons and vehicles
Improved score to win increments in custom game options
Fixed a problem where the last player to damage a Beam Mech before it goes kamikaze would get credit for the kill (Warzone ONLY)
Disabled Grunt Mech kamikaze in Warzone (it's still active in Warzone Firefight) to fix the issue where kill credit would get assigned to the wrong team when the Grunt Mech decided to kamikaze
Miscellaneous performance improvements and bug fixes

Sandbox

Fixed issue with Grenade launcher projectiles passing through geometry
Lowered Sniper Rifle hip aim assist
Reduced Plasma Caster fall-off damage range
Improved golf club damage and feel

Forge

Greatly improved rendering performance on Forge objects with material swap that was causing framerate issues across many maps
Fixed issue where user maps were becoming corrupt/unloadable
Fixed issues where action description text was incorrect and/or confusing
Fixed an issue where ”reset map state" did not work as intended
Fixed issue where game was forcing users into FOTUS Armor causing a large hitch
Fixed issue where invisible Phaeton could become visible
Comparing team values now works as intended
Added ”maintain offset" option to teleporter properties
Can now select ”score to win" as a value source
Fixed issue where you could despawn held weapons for players, causing a bad state
Can no longer accidentally target Monitor with scripts
When comparing a player value to a team value, it will now only compare against the team the player belongs to
Round end condition now works as intended
Classic Cargo Container no longer has visual issues
Added mini game decal
Target transforms now support excluding objects and players
Reset action now supports resetting either the position or rotation of an object
Added local or world space support for movement scripts
Round timer event can now trigger continuously
Improved spawn behavior using spawn order
Added ”select nearest scripted command" to map options
Added action to allow users to force variable checks ”force dirty"
Miscellaneous object collision fixes
Fixed miscellaneous vehicle welding issues
Fixed issue when modifying the physics type of joints
Fixed issue where script brains still had collision in play
Boundaries now render on objects that don't have a primary color option
Value source for number of players on a team now works properly
Continuous boundary check is now more accurate
Miscellaneous performance improvements and bug fixes

Halo 5: Forge

In addition to all of the above, Halo 5: Forge on Windows 10 will also include:

Fixed mouse acceleration issues with Spartan/vehicle/turret movement

Emphasis mine. Potential for broken promises mine.

EDIT: Also, this. Paging FUNKNOWN

What's different about this Motion Sensor being tested?

In a nutshell, this new Motion Sensor that's being tested is actually a lot simpler than the default system that shipped in Halo 5. Only two types of player activities will appear on the sensor:

A (non-silenced) weapon being fired
A Spartan ability being used (Sprint, Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, Stabilize and Clamber)

Additionally, the functional range has been increased from 18m to 25m.

During internal play tests, we've already seen some interesting player behavior changes as a result of this new Motion Sensor:

Players now have more control over when/where they choose to show up on an opponent's Motion Sensor, providing for some more interesting tactical decisions
The slightly increased range somewhat reduces the effectiveness of Spartan Abilities like Spartan Charge as it now acts as a bit of an ‘early warning system'
Stealth tactics are much more viable in the game than they are with the default Motion Sensor
Suppressed weapons have greater effectiveness and relevance - they don't show up on the sensor
Players are visually scanning the 3D space more to find and identify targets and relying less on the Motion Sensor

How is this Motion Sensor being tested?

When the season rolls over next Thursday players will notice a brand new playlist added to Halo 5. ”Proving Grounds" is being deployed as a public test playlist to provide an outlet for the team to experiment in the wild, gather real-world data and feedback, and do so in a manner that doesn't directly affect the core matchmaking offerings. Initially the Proving Grounds playlist is launching with one very specific goal: introduce and test changes to the Halo 5 Motion Sensor.
How long will this test last?

At least a month! We want players to have a chance to really put it through the paces and play a lot of games to inform well-rounded feedback. We'll run the test as long as it takes to ensure that the team has adequate data and player feedback to make decisions.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Holy cap what an update! Seriously stoked to check out this new radar. Hope this, or something similar works out and gets incorporated into next has season. We need new meta. Could be I testing to see what players / teams adjust first and how teams get shaken up. Psyched!

Fuchsdh

Hmm. That's interesting. I hope they keep straightforward classic motion-sensing in the campaign, whatever they do to the tracker for multiplayer, though.

op_ivy

Hmm. That's interesting. I hope they keep straightforward classic motion-sensing in the campaign, whatever they do to the tracker for multiplayer, though.

Confirmation of thruster pack grunts, Sprinting jackles, ground pounding drones, and Spartan charging elite's for halo 6 more likely.

Fuchsdh

Confirmation of thruster pack grunts, Sprinting jackles, ground pounding drones, and Spartan charging elite's for halo 6 more likely.

Haha, the Jackals sorta' sprinted in previous games. I can imagine giving Spartan abilities to regular AI would be a nightmare in implementation, though.

op_ivy

I wonder if "proving grounds" will test btb pistol starts next. Please? And thank you.

EYEL1NER

Ill try the playlist so I can get a feel for the radar and be able to give accurate feedback at the end of the trial period but the radar changes sound awful to me and I'm expecting to not like it.

BizzyBum

I hate when a bullet point is just a general "Miscellaneous performance improvements and bug fixes". Tell us exactly what damnit. lol

BTB might be enjoyable again but who knows what this update will break next. Motion sensor changes sound great, can't wait to test them out.

Trup1aya

Update looks really nice.

They should have Have a proving grounds for BTB too so we can prove magnum starts is better

Why won't gun game work?

Haruko

also regarding gun game, because it came up last time we played it:

Gun Game is limited to 10 players, since any more than that caused the scripts to malfunction.
Super Gun Game is limited to 6 players, since any more than that requires a lot more objects and tends to corrupt the map.

TCKaos

This upcoming update is playing with my heart. Please actually work :/

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/patch-party

Emphasis mine. Potential for broken promises mine.

EDIT: Also, this. Paging FUNKNOWN

Wait, so, is this a nerf or a buff for Advanced Sensors?

Also, I started doing some stuff in Forge:
1Rw572V.jpg

belushy

Banned
So far so good with that new radar system. Pretty much matches what I feel will be perfect for the game.

Sniper and Plasma caster changes are great, too.

edit: Happy to see mouse fixes for H5F up there. Hoping it is true this time.

Nowise10

Still no BTB magnum starts though so who cares

I seriously do not understand why they WONT CHANGE THIS. I feel almost helpless when playing Halo 5 because I swear 343 does what they want and doesn't care about public opinions. The "new" Breakout is a prime example of that attitude, and its frustrating.

I seriously do not understand why they WONT CHANGE THIS. I feel almost helpless when playing Halo 5 because I swear 343 does what they want and doesn't care about public opinions. The "new" Breakout is a prime example of that attitude, and its frustrating.

If they don't want to change it, fine whatever. However, they should at least tells us why. If they could actually give us valid reasons on why it's still BR starts, I'd drop the issue. That only positive it has is to closes the skill gap. Which is a really shitty positive tbh.

Now there is no longer a reason to crouch around corners and players can make aggressive flanking maneuvers, but they're encouraged to stay out of Sprint to remain off of Radar.

Of course, no Radar will always do this better, but this is a good middle ground to speed up and smarten Halo's gameplay. Also gives some utility to the otherwise redundant silenced weapons.

Next thing they need to do is diminish the important of melee combat. Melee hasn't been smart since Halo 2 when you could duck under them.

op_ivy

my neighbor is on the balance team working on these changes and said he'd like to look at autos role in the sandbox next. :)

my neighbor is on the balance team working on these changes and said he'd like to look at autos role in the sandbox next. :)

Just increase player damage resistance. It nerfs the autos' TTK for body shots.

Halo 5 is the only Halo game where having an an AR out after a melee fight gives you an advantage over someone with a precision weapon.

Top Bottom