• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

TCKaos

Someone explains this armor thing people keep talking about, please.

Spartan Companies (Clans) have a pool of commendation milestones that they work as a community to achieve. Once you hit level 3/5 you unlock the armor piece and once you complete them you get the helmet.

We noticed that we're not making any real communal progress on the commendations and a quick exploration of the company roster reveals that over a third of the players in the company haven't played for 2-8 months. I suggest that replacing the players that aren't playing would result in a busier, more engaged community, and also unlock the helmet at a decent pace (since there are other Spartan Companies that have existed for far shorter than HaloGAF that have it but do not "grind" or "farm" commendations, they're just far more active on a per capita basis than we are).

Woorloog

Banned
Wait, the milestone depends on the amount of people? Would that mean a small clan would be far more efficient?
EDIT Also, what was that about Fuchsdh implying you have limited time to get the armor?

Either way, seems a really stupid unlock system. One that encourages grinding, not having fun.

Of course, the REQ unlock system encourages gambling which is just as bad really, seems to be a thing in Halo 5... Reach system was stupid (took way too much time to unlock everything) but at least there i knew what i was working toward to.

Fuchsdh

Wait, the milestone depends on the amount of people? Would that mean a small clan would be far more efficient?
EDIT Also, what was that about Fuchsdh implying you have limited time to get the armor?

Either way, seems a really stupid unlock system. One that encourages grinding, not having fun.

Of course, the REQ unlock system encourages gambling which is just as bad really, seems to be a thing in Halo 5... Reach system was stupid (took way too much time to unlock everything) but at least there i knew what i was working toward to.

You can get the armor whenever, it'd just be nicer to get it sooner, rather than later (or never, if we didn't purge inactive people from the company.)

The commendations are mostly just a function of playtime—there's nothing an active group of players wouldn't get eventually, the problem is that a lot of HaloGAF is plain not active.

This has nothing to do with y'all are talking about but i felt like listening to the H4 soundtrack again and i have to say, its pretty damn good.

Fuchsdh

Ok some of these Warzone clips are pretty pedestrian, but the guy who jumps out of his Banshee, skyjacks the enemy one, then skyjacks the next one after that, is pretty great.

Ok some of these Warzone clips are pretty pedestrian, but the guy who jumps out of his Banshee, skyjacks the enemy one, then skyjacks the next one after that, is pretty great.

If only HCS tourneys hadn't been showcasing the same montages during breaks for like a year now, I'd be impressed/care too :/

Trup1aya

If only HCS tourneys hadn't been showcasing the same montages during breaks for like a year now, I'd be impressed/care too :/

I'd rather the TOs air their sponsors commercials. Everyone watching these tourneys already know about all of the halo video games on the market. The H5 and Halo Wars commercials aren't selling anyone on anything

PS, how do we just get a "back in 5 min" message during downtime. 5minutes from what time?

Fuchsdh

I'd rather the TOs air their sponsors commercials. Everyone watching these tourneys already know about all of the halo video games on the market. The H5 and Halo Wars commercials aren't selling anyone on anything

It is kind of weird that Microsoft has access to my purchase history but still wastes ad space trying to sell me on Halo Wars 2.

PS, how do we just get a "back in 5 min" message during downtime. 5minutes from what time?

You expect a 343 stream to run well from the start? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA!

lol nah, but this Event is kinda a big deal for Millenial Esports. They even had the Mayor of Vegas in on the marketing. So I at least expected better downtime.

Yeah, I've learned from experience to expect nothing as planned or promised from anything 343 at this point. THERE'S ALWAYS A CATCH!

FyreWulff

Do people ever re-create maps from the game with Forge? I mean, this makes no sense whatsoever but why not..

Hell, lets go meta. Forge map re-created with Forge, from the same game.

Yes. Even from the same game, people will remake maps.

Hell, I made Relay from H4 (with help from Pete the Duck and SNIPE316) before it came out in Reach Forge. It's mostly just for the challenge/practice. (Ironically, I'd later be tasked with .. rebuilding Relay in Halo 4, so I technically did your meta thing lol)

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive39.pl?read=1158536

although we were lucky in that they ported FW assets directly from Reach to 4 so it was just watching a video and matching

edit: also yes there were rebuilds of Forge maps from the ground up within the same game by forgers. Nok also had to "harden" some of the default maps for Heavies to accomodate the Gauss hog, due to the glitch where you could shoot through Forge objects with it, but we found the easiest fix was to just put two of the same piece in the same spot.. then it'd stop the Gauss shots.

Karl2177

Hell, I made Relay from H4 (with help from Pete the Duck and SNIPE316) before it came out in Reach Forge. It's mostly just for the challenge/practice. (Ironically, I'd later be tasked with .. rebuilding Relay in Halo 4, so I technically did your meta thing lol)

although we were lucky in that they ported FW assets directly from Reach to 4 so it was just watching a video and matching

edit: also yes there were rebuilds of Forge maps from the ground up within the same game by forgers. Nok also had to "harden" some of the default maps for Heavies to accomodate the Gauss hog, due to the glitch where you could shoot through Forge objects with it, but we found the easiest fix was to just put two of the same piece in the same spot.. then it'd stop the Gauss shots.
Speaking of this, I've thought about remaking The Rig, but adding the quarter of the map that's missing.

I've also thought of doing an iteration of Regret that removes the whirlpool effect of the bottom bases.

TCKaos

I remember someone remade Haven in Reach before Halo 4 came out. Most of the other examples I can think of were remakes of maps that were later actually released - there were a number of great remakes of Haven in Halo 5 before Mercy came out, and I vaguely remember people attempting to remake Anchor 5 and Condemned on Forge World so that people could play it without DLC. I remember that there was a Forge version of Hang 'Em High that got used in Reach's classic playlist before High Noon came out that was literally even named High Noon.

Part of me thinks that this is the main motivator for why the map DLC is free at this point - no one's going to pay for maps in a game with a tool as robust as Halo 5's Forge and a server browser. Several Forge maps I've seen are on par with dev maps.

CyReN

Yeah, this part gets me, because In major cities you can contract broadcast production crews pretty cheaply and easily.

If 343i can't hire a good staff to run the HCS, why would you trust them (HCS staff) to hire those to run the event? This has been going on for sometime now, I didn't think Che was the greatest but at least he didn't sink the ship.

Trup1aya

If 343i can't hire a good staff to run the HCS, why would you trust them (HCS staff) to hire those to run the event? This has been going on for sometime now, I didn't think Che was the greatest but at least he didn't sink the ship.

I certainly don't trust the HCS team to do anything. I just continue to be baffled by these problems that have easy solutions, but they find ways to over complicate.

I certainly don't trust the HCS team to do anything. I just continue to be baffled by these problems that have easy solutions, but they find ways to over complicate.

Yeah, this part gets me, because In major cities you can contract broadcast production crews pretty cheaply and easily.

Yes but at the same time, how much money can they really spend on events that have at most 5 to 20k viewers. And thats like a main event. Theres limits.

Madness

Please reboot the HCS with a competent staff, enough is enough.

Yup. This is downright embarassing at this point and not for the level that Halo which was the face of eSports in the US should be. But no, they will keep chugging along and promising it'll be better next time. They just cannot admit they are not the best, to suck it up and beg MLG to come back. And give me a break, watch how MLG ran the Gears events they had and then compare almost 1.5 years of HCS. These have been some of the worst streams and events. Shitty venues, casting and stream and audio issues, dumb things like missing out on trick plays because they were doing a 3d pan of someones body.

Congrats to whoever wins whatever though.

Trup1aya

Yes but at the same time, how much money can they really spend on events that have at most 5 to 20k viewers. And thats like a main event. Theres limits.

How many viewers do they lose when the production is trash?

Maybe they just aren't spending their money properly. H5 tournaments have had over 100k viewers. But they haven't been investing in the right places to maintain that kind of viewership.

The main issues are shoddy production and poor tournament structures that have pros sitting on the sidelines for half the tournament. Both of these things could be fixed by getting the right people in place.

Also the focus on online pro league instead of LANs killed a lot of momentum after Worlds 2016. Again, investment in the wrong place.

Fuchsdh

Well, there you get into the "can't make money without spending money" problem, and where Microsoft proper might be constraining 343.

Yeah, I've learned from experience to expect nothing as planned or promised from anything 343 at this point. THERE'S ALWAYS A CATCH!
Hey the next patch is going to fix all of the technical problems. Also, 343i heard your outcry about BTB pistol starts. Now all Arena playlists will be BR starts.
Kappa

jem0208

This has nothing to do with y'all are talking about but i felt like listening to the H4 soundtrack again and i have to say, its pretty damn good.
4's soundtrack is one of those which is definitely hated purely because it's different. It's actually damn good and fits 4's campaign really well.

FIX THE GODDAMN MICROPHONE CRACKLING AND COMPLETE LACK OF LEVELING THIS IS KILLING MY MOTHERFUCKING EARS GODDAMNIT TASHI FIX HALO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLS FUCK

CyReN

Well, there you get into the "can't make money without spending money" problem, and where Microsoft proper might be constraining 343.

This is more of a mismanagement issue more than a money issue.

Like, we run Rocket League tournaments and our streams get 2x the views as the HCS stream right now and have 1% of the resources they have.

jem0208

This is more of a mismanagement issue more than a money issue.

Like, we run Rocket League tournaments and our streams get 2x the views as the HCS stream right now and have 1% of the resources they have.
I know Halo streams aren't great but you're comparing your online tournaments to a live invitational event? That's like 0.1% of the difficulty.

I know Halo streams aren't great but you're comparing your online tournaments to a live invitational event? That's like 0.1% of the difficulty.

Their online tourney streams are barely mildly professional too, bruh. Add in ESL's laughable league management and sketchy shit and it's like they're actively working against attracting folks.

One good thing from the Mexico City tourney that I hoped would carry over to future tournaments was the lack of huge breaks between matches/games. Even something as simple as that can't be consistent between events.

Top Bottom