• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

rs_480x270-151023144524-Drake_Hotline_Bling.gif

Lol...is that rapper The Game?

Just curious, but how do people feel about this tweet; do they agree/disagree? I say this because I know Ryan is one of the biggest Halo fans out there, and really liked 343's previous offerings, giving it a 9.8/10. Just want to know if people concur or disagree completely? Glad to see very strong impressions regarding the MP, but it's a tad disappointing to see how divisive the campaign is proving to be. But from people who have played it, is it ture? (I won't get access to the game for a while unfortunately).
Also, does anyone know where the OT is at or what time it'll come up?

1b788ac8c4917bd6d35cb5b4734ead04.png

So odd how several reviews praise the campaign and really enjoyed it and people in general here and then reading such a negative tweet from Ryan. Ah well, fuck it, i'm not gonna worry anymore. I'll look forward to playing it tomorrow..or actually tonight at 2.

its definitely not the worst. its better than halo 4. whats bad is the length and content of the story. youre left hanging at the end thinking "thats it ? its over already ?"
I feel like Halo overall has a bad story. As long as the game is fun to play is the main thing I worry about.

Worst campaign in the series is an exaggeration in every sense of the word. Gotta love how everyone here is suddenly taking McCaffrey's word for it when the guy gave Halo 4 a 9.8 and then everyone flipped shit on him when they played it themselves.

Never change GAF.

When will people stop with this?

bidguy

Banned
Of course, personal impressions are much more important. It's just been a talking point that brought out a lot of gaffer impressions.

The story isn't the biggest sticking point to me, but It's still something I'm interesting in hearing more impressions about in general.

Yeah, I've heard the ending is similar in feel to Halo 2 in a "finish the fight" kind of way, but still positive, if not a bit disappointing from the build up.

yea it reminds ne of halo 2 in a lot of ways. amazing mp, awful cliffhanger in campaign

a review I do not see listed
9/10 ICXM
http://www.icxm.net/x/halo5-review-asher-cade-joao.html

Halo 5 takes the series and even the genre to a whole new level through its story and gameplay. 343 Industries took some bold creative risks and they paid off.

Campaign

Despite all his efforts, the Master Chief could not save Cortana and she sacrificed herself to protect him from harm at the end of Halo 4. It was a truly touching moment that every Halo fan will never forget. How do you continue the story from there? How do you think Master Chief will cope without her? Many of these questions are answered during Halo 5’s campaign but, above all, Halo 5 marks the beginning of a new chapter for the franchise. It introduces a threat that affects the entire galaxy—humans and Covenant alike—and introduces us to the series’ first proper villain. The Halo universe is changing and it is a treat to be along for the ride. Halo 5’s campaign is one of the best ever made and it is just as shocking and emotional as 343 Industries said it would be.

Conclusion

Halo 5 is a truly astonishing game on multiple levels. Not only does it manage to incorporate a brilliant campaign with stellar gameplay, it also provides a remarkable multiplayer experience. Warzone is the most exciting change to a multiplayer title in years and it will surely be adopted by others. The amazing musical score by Kazuma Jinnouchi makes every battle feel epic and tense. Aside from the visual issues, Halo 5 is perfect on every level. The interactions among Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris feel natural and the voice acting, especially that by Steve Downes and Nathan Fillion, is stellar. Master Chief speaks a lot more in this game and it is a welcome change. I cannot recommend Halo 5 enough to fans of shooters and can definitely say this is the best one I have played in a long time. Do yourself a favor and go pick it up. If you are worried about the servers, you will be glad to know that I encountered no issues and got into games in a few seconds. Halo 5 is by far my most favorite shooter this year, it might even be my most favorite shooter of all time.

RdN

Gotta say I'm surprised with the campaign getting lots of critics.. I thought this was the area where 343i would nail it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That MP looks addictive as hell. With free map pack, I am sure community is going to stay strong for a long time.

Deku Tree

Was this tweet posted?

DestinLegarie: Halo 5's gameplay is superb. The story is atrocious. As is your teammate A.I Sadly I'm a huge story fan so this one was a big letdown for me

driver116

Ouch these scores are less than ideal for a return of a king so to speak. I'll play it regardless albeit I'm a single player kind of guy.

Anyone else having some massive anxiety over the servers working tonight?

If this is Fubar'd, I'll be furious beyond belief.

Journalist's running on functional Pre-Release servers helped ease the worry a bit, but considering how cautious they're being in reviewing it post official launch, I'm a little more than concerned.

TheMan

Disappointed that there are no large scale open battles. That openness made the first level of halo ce so awesome

So odd how several reviews praise the campaign and really enjoyed it and people in general here and then reading such a negative tweet from Ryan. Ah well, fuck it, i'm not gonna worry anymore. I'll look forward to playing it tomorrow...or actually tonight at 2.

Yup, best way to go about it IMO. I'm not making any final verdicts until I get hands on.

IGN unanimously hates the single player apparently.

IGN is a hive mind confirmed.

I heard buzz that it was going to have the longest campaign, not true?

You know what, Halo is the type of game I'm okay with recycled padding in the campaign, because the gameplay is always so satisfying. I would personally like a section of the game that's just you fighting through an endless alien complex with thousands of enemies converging on you. Sporadic elements of quantity is definitely something I'm okay with when it comes to the Halo campaign.

Joaby

Neo Member
Review on Games On Net (no score). http://games.on.net/2015/10/halo-5-guardians-review

It feels like some sort of cruel joke. With nary a satisfying boss fight, with no competent conclusion to the narrative, Halo 5 ends the same way Halo 2 did — with a sudden stop alongside some emotive music and ominous lines. 343 Industries is so desperately afraid of departing from the Halo formula that they even mimic the universally ridiculed elements of the games they’re copying.

I wrote this review, dunno if that's an issue. The SP campaign is a mess. We weren't able to test multi properly in Australia (didn't have enough people to play Warzone) so I don't think there are any reviews of that portion of the game yet from any Aussies.

Doran902

After reading the Destructoid review the guy seemed like he was bored with the franchise before he ever started playing Halo 5. Everyone is entitled to what they enjoy and I wont argue with anyones score since I haven't played it yet but thats just the feeling I got from his review.

I heard buzz that it was going to have the longest campaign, not true?

You know what, Halo is the type of game I'm okay with recycled padding in the campaign, because the gameplay is always so satisfying. I would personally like a section of the game that's just you fighting through an endless alien complex with thousands of enemies converging on you. Sporadic elements of quantity is definitely something I'm okay with when it comes to the Halo campaign.

That would be great if it was all Covenant, Prometheans suck balls.

My only disappointment is that despite being (largely) better than Halo 4 in a lot of ways, this game will get lower scores, which is a shame. A reflection of some controversial decisions, as well as the general drop in AAA review scores.
Yup, and I've noticed how games almost never get 90+ meta anymore because 1-2 outlier review scores almost allways bring it down.
Anyways, I'm sort of curious how MP factored into the review because Halo 4 had poor MP and got great scores.

Anyone else having some massive anxiety over the servers working tonight?

If this is Fubar'd, I'll be furious beyond belief.

Journalist's running on functional Pre-Release servers helped ease the worry a bit, but considering how cautious they're being in reviewing it post official launch, I'm a little more than concerned.

They're working quick and buttery smooth right now. Warzone felt just as great as the campaign did.

I play halo mainly for the campaign (solo and co-op). So hearing this feedback on the story and campaign is troubling. Could the story be worse than Halo 4?

So what I take from this.

1. Campaign is fun but story is questionable.

2. MP is a blast and gameplay is top teir.

This is awesome because if we are honest with ourselves halo hasn't had a good story since Halo CE. I have never been a fan of the campaigns.

So weird to see reviewer's reactions to the campaign. I'm wondering if we'll get a Rotten Tomatoes type deal when it finally gets in the hands of gamers, where the critics and the gamers are not sitting at the same side of the table when it comes to enjoyment.

I thought the campaign looked really cool/interesting. Weird to see a lot of people poopin' on it.

Also, I guess when I'm playing campaign co-op, I really don't give a damn about the story anymore because we're talking over half of it.

So what I take from this.

1. Campaign is fun but story is questionable.

2. MP is a blast and gameplay is top teir.

This is awesome because if we are honest with ourselves halo hasn't had a good story since Halo CE. I have never been a fan of the campaigns.

That's pretty much it. It's great overall

Top Bottom