• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Sojgat

I just don't understand how anyone thought playing as not Master Chief 80% of the time was a good idea.

Who pitched that?

So weird to see reviewer's reactions to the campaign. I'm wondering if we'll get a Rotten Tomatoes type deal when it finally gets in the hands of gamers, where the critics and the gamers are not sitting at the same side of the table when it comes to enjoyment.

I thought the campaign looked really cool/interesting. Weird to see a lot of people poopin' on it.

If it's anything like Halo 4, the story will be completely nonsensical to anyone who hasn't read all of the expanded universe material. And that's generally a terrible way to present a story within a defined medium.

It's like the opening scene to Age of Ultron. If 90% of your audience is going "Er, why is this happening, I thought they had Loki's staff", you've already failed as a storyteller.

Also, no offense to him on a personal level but its hard to take Ryan McCaffrey seriously about games. I wouldn't take much he says to heart.

Kssio_Aug

Review on Games On Net (no score). http://games.on.net/2015/10/halo-5-guardians-review

I wrote this review, dunno if that's an issue. The SP campaign is a mess. We weren't able to test multi properly in Australia (didn't have enough people to play Warzone) so I don't think there are any reviews of that portion of the game yet from any Aussies.

It feels to me that you're just still upset Halo is not with Bungie anymore. Its not like this kind of abrupt ending is something that uncommon, specially from a game that clearly intended to continue telling its story in a next game.

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah, that's what they say in the Gametrailers review.
Makes you wonder if people don't like the campaign because lack of chief, the story is bad, or Locke is really that dis interesting of a character

Now if Buck was the lead=campaign saved

Also, no offense to him on a personal level but its hard to take Ryan McCaffrey seriously about games. I wouldn't take much he says to heart.
Idk he is die hard Microsoft man, I don't think he would say that unless it really really bothered him

16BitNova

I wanted campaign to be something special. Mixed reviews on campaign are scaring me

This. One of my main things is hoping it has a good story/campaign. Like others have said its a mixed bag. Guess we will see ourselves huh... Here's to us enjoying it!

Portugeezer

In this case be is a big halo fan and Xbox fanboy (and I use the term fanboy correctly here). He probably expected something better from the campaign and is just disappointed. Doesn't mean it's bad.

MrBud360

I Loved every Halo so far. Finished Halo 4 yesterday, and for me was incredible. If its better the the 4, i will be more then happy. Preordered yesterday, together with the new Tomb Raider. Crazy end of the year!!! See you guys at the Warzone!!!!!

Dynasty

In this case be is a big halo fan and Xbox fanboy (and I use the term fanboy correctly here). He probably expected something better from the campaign and is just disappointed. Doesn't mean it's bad.
But if he was a fanboy, he wouldn't talk negative about a Xbox game at all. Unless the story was that bad it knocked the fanboyness out of him.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I get if you have mixed feeling about the story but mission design a complete mess? When everyone is positive , all the reviews are talking about how awesome and varied missions are and Rayn says completely opposite. Ya I am not taking his word on that.

Here's for the HaloGAF people.

3HMO8e6l.jpg

Don't expect a traditional review here. I'm taking a look at the campaign, the story, playing as the Chief, the future of the franchise and oddly enough, spoiler culture. I'm not delving into any big spoiler material, either, so it's relatively safe for those who've yet to play it. Everything I openly discuss has been seen in streams already.

That said, I wrote it for HaloGAF, so if you're not a Halo fan you're often gonna wonder what the hell I'm talking about.

ShamePain

Banned
What does this mean? :L I agree that Guerrilla would probably make a shit Halo but I really don't understand your comment.

I remember reading prior to Halo 4 launch that a lot of talent was pulled from Sony's studio like Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, NaughtyDog, etc. They made a big point out of that, it was supposed to be a top class team of superstars of game development.

Calling a 95+ Metacritic average. Definitely gonna be the highest reviewed Xbox One/PS4 game to date. (Excluding GTA V, not sure if that counts. Since it's a late port of an incredible Xbox 360/PS3 game)

343 did the fanbase good. Incredible scores so far.

EDIT: I believed too hard. :(

This post is amazing.

So it seems terrible story amazing gameplay.

I am completely okay with that baby!

TheOddOne

there’s no actual urgency to anything you do, because 343 Industries didn’t feel the player was capable enough to race against the clock.
The alternative used by most games these days is the run-and-gun method, where enemies are spawned per checkpoints and the player needs to simply make it to the next checkpoint to move things along. This is the technique favoured by Call of Duty, which only rarely relies on kill chambers (the reverse of Halo 5‘s design, which features many kill chambers and only a few run-and-gun sections). What this does is give the game a high-octane pace — the player, once they work out the best method of play, is encouraged to keep moving forward, pausing only briefly to kill enemies in their way as they do.

This creates a real sense of urgency in the player even when there isn’t any actual time-based failure trigger — instead of being told a situation is urgent through voiceover, the player moves quickly thanks to the organic priority-focused gameplay — if you move to the next checkpoint, the game will progress and the enemies you passed won’t pose a threat any more. Halo 5 doesn’t even have a time-based failure trigger though, so there’s zero reason to hurry beyond the nagging of an off-screen character.
Modern game design where running to the finish line is rewarded while delegating level and encounter design to pretty spaces and flashy QTE to look at. Yeah, no thanks. If anything, Halo’s sandbox openness is the core element of the gameplay. Not to say there isn’t a place where it should be done once or twice, but it becoming a large part of core is something I rather not advocate.

I've known about this for a month so maybe I just had time to digest and stew over it and that's why it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but from what I know,
Chief's three missions are the longest in the game and the story still focuses up on him.

Having Locke be the main playable pro-tag is a really interesting narrative twist, and
it shows that 343 has balls when it comes to telling the story they want to tell, how they want to tell it.

Having a massive focus on EU stuff was ballsy in Halo 4 too and continuing it is a decision I'm a fan of... but I know the expanded cannon, and most don't, so that's a more subjective point.

tuna_love

Banned
I remember reading prior to Halo 4 launch that a lot of talent was pulled from Sony's studio like Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, NaughtyDog, etc. They made a big point out of that, it was supposed to be a top class team of superstars of game development.
So the writer came from guerilla?

Modern game design where running to the finish line is rewarded while delegating level and encounter design to pretty spaces and flashy QTE to look at. Yeah, no thanks. If anything, Halo’s sandbox openness is the core element of the gameplay. Not to say there isn’t a place where it should be done once or twice, but it becoming a large part of core is something I rather not advocate.

All I'm seeing while reading that review is "Exploration is bad, I wanna play a movie."

ShamePain

Banned
_halo52hqa0.gif

Locke needs to stay in his Lane.

They probably really want Locke to be the new face of halo if this is true. I dunno, Not sure how the game ends. This all just seems kinda weird

Locke isn't bad conceptually, but his lines are awfully boring and generic, and the VA sounds like he doesn't give a shit and puts up a subpar performance.
And it's not like Chief was ever a great protagonist, it was always Cortana and others adding fun to the story with quirky lines and what not, Chief was always just a silent avatar for the player. 343 has been trying to give personality but it's both unnecessary and is done poorly.

Yup, best way to go about it IMO. I'm not making any final verdicts until I get hands on.

IGN is a hive mind confirmed.

Yeah. One thing that would definitely disappoint me if there's not a decent last boss fight. The one in Halo 4 can barely be called a boss fight. Same goes for Gears 2, holy crap that was a let down at the end.

You only play as chief in 3 out of 15 missions?

Gah...

Surely that's a joke? I mean....Master Chief IS Halo. WTF if true.

Top Bottom