• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Wow, wtg 343i !! Really good to see it get good reviews. We don't have the box yet, as tempting as it is buy one now, only to play Halo. Truly am happy for them and those that are able to play it. Congrats.

Grazzt

Seems single player is good. Neat. No MP in reviews just in case people miss that.

Yeah I read some of the reviews, and most of them gave a mediocre score mainly because: 1: Lack of couch coop; 2: Story is quite disappointing; 3: Too little Chief, too much Locke.
The third one is huge to me, but I don't care much about the other two. And the gameplay seems better than Halo 4 at least, that's what I value the most.
I'll judge the story after I finish the campaign myself. I have read most of the books and comics, listened all the available episodes of Hunt the truth which got me hyped for the plot of the game.

That is true, but at the same time it irks me that modes with carrot-on-stick design review so well.

I hate to break it to you, but Warzone is actually fun. I had fun even though I kept getting matched up with scrub-tier teammates and matched against pro players descending from the heavens on clouds made out of BR's. Can't wait to see what it's like with fully populated servers.

The carrot on a stick probably has a lot to do with that, too. You're practically guaranteed at least 1500 RP in a match, more if you use the right boost. You also periodically get new REQ packs to unpack with shit you can either keep or sell. At that rate you can buy a Gold Pack every few games, which gives you a shot at getting other cool items.

Still waiting for that Noble helmet. I needz it.

Sakujou

Banned
what kind of shitty magazines are pouring out 100/100 scores for a fps???

i dont see the complaining about getting rid of the local co-op in here...?

J@hranimo

Banned
who is the god of Halo reviews?

Apparently that Ryan guy whose tweet has been posted in here several times. There are lot of people saying "Well, if he says it's bad...then it must be bad!" To me, those people are taking his word like the gospel :p

Why would you base your game purchase off of one person? I never do that, I read like 3-4 to see different opinions because everyone's experience may be the defining factor.

TheOddOne

I hate to break it to you, but Warzone is actually fun. I had fun even though I kept getting matched up with scrub-tier teammates and matched against pro players descending from the heavens on clouds made out of BR's. Can't wait to see what it's like with fully populated servers.

The carrot on a stick probably has a lot to do with that, too. You're practically guaranteed at least 1500 RP in a match, more if you use the right boost. You also periodically get new REQ packs to unpack with shit you can either keep or sell. At that rate you can buy a Gold Pack every few games, which gives you a shot at getting other cool items.

Still waiting for that Noble helmet. I needz it.
Bookmarked for lols.

In this thread: people forming an opinion based on the opinion of a single human being.

Here's the thing, guys, it's possible to be a huge fan of something someone else is a huge fan of, and still have a different opinion on that new thing people love. I love Alien, my best friend loves Alien. Yet he adores Alien 3, and I abhor it. Same goes for Man of Steel; I love Superman, so does he. I think Man of Steel is hot garbage, and he got a kick out of it.

If you really do want to like Halo 5, then allow yourself to form your own opinion instead of letting McCaffrey tell you otherwise. He's not wrong if he doesn't like it, because that's his opinion, which he is entitled to. You're not wrong if you like Halo 5, because that's YOUR opinion that YOU are entitled to.

Fat4all

Banned

It's a common negative in most of the reviews I've read.

Unless by 'in here' you mean in Gaf. Gaf has gotten used to the idea of no local co-op.

I'll unlock it October 16, 2018. The day before Halo 6 launches.

The journey is a reward in itself.

My main issue is the fact that online is not reviewed which will be why most people get it. Kudos to IGN/Kotaku for waiting though.

Herbs

Banned
Apparently that Ryan guy whose tweet has been posted in here several times. There are lot of people saying "Well, if he says it's bad...then it must be bad!" To me, those people are taking his word like the gospel :p

Why would you base your game purchase off of one person? I never do that, I read like 3-4 to see different opinions because everyone's experience may be the defining factor.

but you said he's not the god as if their is one. who is the god?

Trup1aya

So consensus seems to be the MP is great, but the SP is either so-so to downright bad?

Sounds like the story is divisive and theirs little character development. Also Spartan AI can be dumb. But generally the levels are well designed and fun (unless you are IGNs Ryan M)

MP is pure gold0

I read two reviews and they said among other things:

- The campaign is very short. Depends on what they call short, but it surely should be longer as 4 or the same, not shorter. This should be a big campaign, at least 10 hours.

- Another review said it's actually way too easy and that Covenant are static.

The latter one played it on Heroic.

Why the hell do some developers feel the need to fuck around with difficulty settings? Why change it at all? I might start on Legendary now.

Sakujou

Banned
It's a common negative in most of the reviews I've read.

Unless by 'in here' you mean in Gaf. Gaf has gotten used to the idea of no local co-op.

wow really?

i read two reviews, and they gave the game a 9/10 and i dont see that fit. no local co-op means for me, that i cant play this game with my best buddy.

this is a huge downer, and i think iam not the only one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sounds good, first couple reviews there make me think it does well for the majority, but then I hear that the plot isn't the greatest. I kinda sorta knew where they were going wasn't necessarily groundbreaking, but it's also Halo 5 and not the first time trying to finish the fight.

Halo 2015 isn't gonna be strategic warfare Halo. It's Halo for the masses.

Fat4all

Banned
So all FPS games don't deserve 100/100. Don't know if serious.

I didn't even acknowledge that part of the comment because of how silly it is. It's all personal taste, so anyone could say that any genre doesn't deserve a perfect score.

Personally, there's a few FPS games I'd give a 10/10 to.

but you said he's not the god as if their is one. who is the god?

I AM THE GOD.

HALO 5 - 89.74/99.98

EvB

- The campaign is very short. Depends on what they call short, but it surely should be longer as 4 or the same, not shorter. This should be a big campaign, at least 10 hours.

Why the hell do some developers feel the need to fuck around with difficulty settings? Why change it at all? I might start on Legendary now.

I'd be inclined to agree with those. As a seasoned Halo player I found the main game easy enough to deal with, especially with the revive mechanic. There were sections where I was tearing my hair out however. I think if you like a really good challenge , then dropping in on Legendary may be the better option

Sakujou

Banned
So all FPS games don't deserve 100/100. Don't know if serious.

giving out a perfect score is dumb in my case. 100/100 seems off, if you ask me.

most mags from the 90s never shoveled out 100/100, in fact i have never seen those back then.

now i see so many mediocre, especially fps, which have too good scores to believe.

EvB

giving out a perfect score is dumb in my case. 100/100 seems off, if you ask me.

most mags from the 90s never shoveled out 100/100, in fact i have never seen those back then.

now i see so many mediocre, especially fps, which have too good scores to believe.

I would have been inclined to agree with you, but given that the reality is that score is only ever a snapshot in time in terms of what people think of a game I believe it starts to become a bit irrelevant.

bfrye26

Neo Member
CGMagazine 8/10
In the end, Halo 5 is a game that Microsoft wants to be a show piece for their console during one of the hardest console wars they’ve experienced and, after playing everything, I believe that they’ll win a few battles with Halo 5 on the front line. I know that I haven’t said many positive things about Halo 5 yet, but that’s due to the fact that no one wants to read rather lengthy eview. Instead of wasting 300 words describing shooting mechanics that have been genre-defining for most of the franchise’s history, I decided to talk about all the new stuff; therefore, as a rule of thumb, I would suggest that if it was not mentioned here, you should assume it is probably just the way you left it. Trust me when I say that people who enjoy Halo might have problems with the card system or the story; however, very few Halo fans will dislike the product as a whole.

Sakujou

Banned
I'd be inclined to agree with those. As a seasoned Halo player I found the main game easy enough to deal with, especially with the revive mechanic. There were sections where I was tearing my hair out however. I think if you like a really good challenge , then dropping in on Legendary may be the better option

halo campaign is usually not longer than 6-9 hours long, IIRC.
if they fulfill that, i would see myself satisfied.

mcrommert

Banned

Agreed there are no perfect scores...but reviews have gotten harder...compare metacritic for gta 4 and 5...5 is worlds ahead of 4 and yet 4 has the almost perfect score. Things change

Then Legendary it is. But i still don't get why games have to be made easier when there's freaking several different difficulties. Of course the reviving helps it make it easier though. Would you say the game is similar to Halo 4's campaign length, or actually longer?

BriGuy

If you apply my highly scientific "starstruck correction coefficient" to these reviews, Halo 5 sits somewhere comfortably in the 8-8.5 range. Not too shabby.

Hammer24

Banned
Metro: 9/10

In Short: The story campaign is a mild disappointment but the multiplayer is a bold reinvention of the Halo experience, that should keep the series fresh for years to come.

Pros: The new movement system is excellent, and works well in all three modes. Arena mode is the most fun Halo has been in years and Warzone is also very good.

Cons: In construction the campaign mode is strictly average, including the weak story. Small number of new vehicles and weapons. No offline multiplayer.

Peterpan

Your opinion on whether Halo 5 deserves a perfect score is invalid since you haven't played it. Even if split screen is out, 60fps, was gained and depending who you are, you might find it more important. Perfect score doesn't mean perfect game though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Technology wasn't perfect years ago, so games that stood out did better. It is difficult now because so many games can look good. We aren't necessarily having the same people review our games from the SNES era. It's all probably a good and a bad thing. People can't see beyond eye candy at times.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kudos to the reviewers holding off scores till the mp has more players. Hell, even then it should take a few weeks to properly judge it (balancing, glitches, stability, etc). How are so many reviewers pulling mp scores out of their ass now? (Should should apply for other games as well obviously)

I don't think reviewers should wait weeks in service of the developer. When you purchase a game your experience is impacted by the state of the online components immediately.

Both are super wrong and one probably played it on normal and lower. Generally Heroic is about 9-10 hours which is way longer than 4 and on par/a bit longer than earlier games, Legendary could easily go into 10-12 hour range which is like nearly twice of 4. Also the covenant is anything but static lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Both are super wrong and one probably played it on normal and lower. Generally Heroic is about 9-10 hours which is way longer than 4 and on par/a bit longer than earlier games, Legendary could easily go into 10-12 hour range which is like nearly twice of 4. Also the covenant is anything but static lol.
I've been playing on Heroic and I think the time to complete could be shortened by the revival mechanic. When you go down, there is a chance of being revived. So there is more room for error and less retrying. I don't think that's necessarily bad, though.

I thought 343 handled the Halo 4 campaign quite well, so it's somewhat surprising to read all these reviews saying the campaign doesn't quite live up to expectations this time around. The flip side seems to be that the multiplayer aspects are greatly improved, which I'm sure a lot of people here will enjoy. I really hope the servers remain functional this time around, because it looks like Halo 5's gameplay mechanics are good enough to keep people engaged.

coughlanio

I finished it last night. As someone who isn't a huge Halo fan outside of CE and Reach, I really enjoyed it. The combat pace has been greatly increased.

As well as being able to move faster, weapon reloading and enemy TTK has been fine tuned to a point where it just feels a lot better than Halo 4.

If I was to put an arbitrary number on it to rank how I feel about it, I'd say it's a solid 9.

Munter

Can anyone confirm when the multiplayer will unlock in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Enjoying the campaign, on mission 7 at the mo,

Top Bottom