• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

I've been playing on Heroic and I think the time to complete could be shortened by the revival mechanic. When you go down, there is a chance of being revived. So there is more room for error and less retrying. I don't think that's necessarily bad, though.

This.

I think I completed it on Heroic about 7-8 hours. Thought it was the perfect length to be fair. However I felt Heroic was like playing it on Normal. I died probably 10 times in the entire playthrough so wasn't much of me getting back to a previous checkpoint and fighting enemies all over again like in the previous entries. I'm so happy for the revival mechanic. Got me out of some sticky situations.

BokehKing

Banned
wow really?

i read two reviews, and they gave the game a 9/10 and i dont see that fit. no local co-op means for me, that i cant play this game with my best buddy.

this is a huge downer, and i think iam not the only one.
You're not, but you're not going to find anyone that feels for your plight here because certain members of halo GAF would sell their own kidney for 60fps , so of course they don't care about a staple of the series . It seems the campaign is short enough where you can still have a friend over and let him play a few missions (I know, still sucks)

Rather have in the same room communication for Warzone though!

I'm excited for warzone, first thing I do when I get home Tuesday, not even going to touch arena or campaign

Both are super wrong and one probably played it on normal and lower. Generally Heroic is about 9-10 hours which is way longer than 4 and on par/a bit longer than earlier games, Legendary could easily go into 10-12 hour range which is like nearly twice of 4. Also the covenant is anything but static lol.

Hmm interesting. So you would say Heroic is similar to Halo 4's Heroic? It's quite clear that i just need to play and see it for myself.

MAX PAYMENT

You're not, but you're not going to find anyone that feels for your plight here because certain members of halo GAF would sell their own kidney for 60fps , so of course they don't care about a staple of the series . It seems the campaign is short enough where you can still have a friend over and let him play a few missions (I know, still sucks)

Rather have in the same room communication for Warzone though!

I'm excited for warzone, first thing I do when I get home Tuesday, not even going to touch arena or campaign

Hahaha. I died.

I don't think reviewers should wait weeks in service of the developer. When you purchase a game your experience is impacted by the state of the online components immediately.

It's a service to the customer, see MCC. Generally giving independent campaign and mp scores could help. How do you properly judge mp before release?

This.

I think I completed it on Heroic about 7-8 hours. Thought it was the perfect length to be fair. However I felt Heroic was like playing it on Normal. I died probably 10 times in the entire playthrough so wasn't much of me getting back to a previous checkpoint and fighting enemies all over again like in the previous entries. I'm so happy for the revival mechanic. Got me out of some sticky situations.

Would you say playing the campaign in co-op is a must or is it perfectly fine on your own as well?

Hmm interesting. So you would say Heroic is similar to Halo 4's Heroic? It's quite clear that i just need to play and see it for myself.

I haven't finished the game, only a couple missions in, difficulty wise it's on par with 4, maybe even a bit easier due to revive and better weapon balance. Length is definitely way longer.

.la1n

I've always played multiplayer in passing, it's always been the campaigns I've enjoyed the most. That being said it sounds like that might the area that isn't quite up to snuff. Will wait for more GAF impressions on that portion in particular.

Fat4all

Banned
I've always played multiplayer in passing, it's always been the campaigns I've enjoyed the most. That being said it sounds like that might the area that isn't quite up to snuff. Will wait for more GAF impressions on that portion in particular.

So far Gaf impressions on the campaign have been good (at least in this thread), I'd hang around the upcoming OT for a bit and get some more info.

Would you say playing the campaign in co-op is a must or is it perfectly fine on your own as well?

I enjoyed my time alone with it but there are certain times where it would of been great fun playing co-op. Not that it bothered me I would just see a level and think, damn this is going to be fun with friends. I'll definitely be doing co-op when I do a legendary play through :)

I haven't finished the game, only a couple missions in, difficulty wise it's on par with 4, maybe even a bit easier due to revive and better weapon balance. Length is definitely way longer.

Sounds good man. And A.I. wise, do the enemies still provide a nice challenge with ducking behind cover, sidestrafing, going in for a attack, etc?

I enjoyed my time alone with it but there are certain times where it would of been great fun playing co-op. Not that it bothered me I would just see a level and think, damn this is going to be fun with friends. I'll definitely be doing co-op when I do a legendary play through :)

Sounds great. I'll probably do that too, but for the first playthrough i want to take things easy and not rush things. And in co-op you just always gotta take that other player into account. :)

Sounds good man. And A.I. wise, do the enemies still provide a nice challenge with ducking behind cover, sidestrafing, going in for a attack, etc?

Yes, Hunters are super scary like mini bosses that actually takes a lot of effort to take down, Promethean Soldiers teleport around to avoid your gunfire/flank you but they are not bullet sponges, you can outsmart them, Knights are like the Hunters but they don't have shields now and have way better hit reaction. Covenant engagements are more or less the same with some slight changes like Elites pulling out swords when you get close.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's a service to the customer, see MCC. Generally giving independent campaign and mp scores could help. How do you properly judge mp before release?

Waiting to judge MP during release week is one thing. Waiting upwards of a month to get the kinks ironed out is another.

DrBo42

Yeah there's a good amount of that. Most notable being Elites that are tired of your shit and pull out a sword. A.I. wise the squad is far more disappointing and troublesome than the enemies.

Edit:Beaten

Sounds great. I'll probably do that too, but for the first playthrough i want to take things easy and not rush things. And in co-op you just always gotta take that other player into account. :)

Play on heroic for sure. It's definitely the more pleasurable experience. Then play legendary and then get ready for some co-op because that's going to be awesome. Careful with that TV tho. The burn in is reallllllll

Some reviews are saying the story isn't that great. I'm so disappointed... :/

It's subjective. I liked it a lot, but I love any Halo story bits I can get. Just play it and have fun. The gameplay is stellar.

AP90

Return of the king. And I believe the average review/ will be around 88-90 by the end.

Which is pretty darn good for shooter/mps these days as there are more critics than there were previously =P

Yes, Hunters are super scary like mini bosses that actually takes a lot of effort to take down, Promethean Soldiers teleport around to avoid your gunfire/flank you but they are not bullet sponges, you can outsmart them, Knights are like the Hunters but they don't have shields now and have way better hit reaction. Covenant engagements are more or less the same with some slight changes like Elites pulling out swords when you get close.

Liking the sound of that a lot. I don't think i have anything to worry about in that regard then.

Yeah there's a good amount of that. Most notable being Elites that are tired of your shit and pull out a sword. A.I. wise the squad is far more disappointing and troublesome than the enemies.

Edit:Beaten

Haha i like how you worded that about the Elites.

I also heard about tank sections that are apparently quite boring and fighting the same boss over and over again. Every game has its highs and lows but i think i can look past those and simply enjoy the campaign. It sure sounds great to me now.

Play on heroic for sure. It's definitely the more pleasurable experience. Then play legendary and then get ready for some co-op because that's going to be awesome. Careful with that TV tho. The burn in is reallllllll

It's subjective. I liked it a lot, but I love any Halo story bits I can get. Just play it and have fun. The gameplay is stellar.

That sucks man. Are the static images in the game that bad then? I've been playing Witcher 3 all weekend and with OLED Light and Contrast in the 90's and that game has the constant minimap circle showing and other things. I checked some grey backgrounds and see no burn in. If it gets too bad for you, i would call the store man.

Liking the sound of that a lot. I don't think i have anything to worry about in that regard then.

Haha i like how you worded that about the Elites.

I also heard about tank sections that are apparently quite boring and fighting the same boss over and over again. Every game has its highs and lows but i think i can look past those and simply enjoy the campaign. It sure sounds great to me now.

It really is great. You can find things to nitpick and put in a review, but it's a really fun game.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I hope they reward the digital owners and give us the 8.9gig update now then give us the x number of Mb left to activate MP on the 27th =D

??

If you bought it digital, it should have the latest update installed. And will be playable at 12AM

TheOddOne

rs_480x270-151023144524-Drake_Hotline_Bling.gif

Just curious, but how do people feel about this tweet; do they agree/disagree? I say this because I know Ryan is one of the biggest Halo fans out there, and really liked 343's previous offerings, giving it a 9.8/10. Just want to know if people concur or disagree completely? Glad to see very strong impressions regarding the MP, but it's a tad disappointing to see how divisive the campaign is proving to be. But from people who have played it, is it ture? (I won't get access to the game for a while unfortunately).
Also, does anyone know where the OT is at or what time it'll come up?

1b788ac8c4917bd6d35cb5b4734ead04.png

Waiting to judge MP during release week is one thing. Waiting upwards of a month to get the kinks ironed out is another.

Well, it wouldn't really be to the the kinks ironed out, more to know enough about the game. Maybe I am slow, but it usually takes me a while to really fully understand/judge a multiplayer game. Recently that happened with Splatoon. Game has a ton of depth, but also a lot of issues that you won't fully understand unless putting a ton of time into the game.

Still, I agree that things get problematic if you wait tool.

Fat4all

Banned
Just curious, but how do people feel about this tweet; do they agree/disagree? I say this because I know Ryan is one of the biggest Halo fans out there, and really liked 343's previous offerings, giving it a 9.8/10. Just want to know if people concur or disagree completely? Glad to see very strong impressions regarding the MP, but it's a tad disappointing to see how divisive the campaign is proving to be. But from people who have played it, is it ture? (I won't get access to the game for a while unfortunately).

You're about 5 pages late. The tweet seems to be divisive, with lots of people in the thread disagreeing that it's the worst story of the series.

Most reviews are saying that apart from the Story the campaign is fine. All the people who got it early are saying it is a far far better campaign than Halo 4.

You're about 5 pages late. The tweet seems to be divisive, with lots of people in the thread disagreeing that it's the worst story of the series.

Yeah well sorry lol, I did try and search the past few pages but honestly, I'm not going through all of them posts. Guess it is true...although I don't want to make a final opinion until I'm hands on.

Most reviews are saying that apart from the Story the campaign is fine. All the people who got it early are saying it is a far far better campaign than Halo 4.

Well that's good then, because I actually digged Halo 4's campaign quite a bit, so this could be even better. Besides the story, nothing about the campaign as you said stands out to me as a sore thumb; the gameplay and level design looks fantastic, and the hidden paths have gotten me more excited than I should be lol.

mcrommert

Banned

Haven't played it so can't disagree (but I bet I will)...but with a series like halo being the worst in the series isn't as big of an issue as other series

bidguy

Banned

its definitely not the worst. its better than halo 4. whats bad is the length and content of the story. youre left hanging at the end thinking "thats it ? its over already ?"

Fat4all

Banned
Yeah well sorry lol, I did try and search the past few pages but wasn't trekking through all of that. Guess it is true though, although I don't want to make a final opinion until I'm hands on.

Of course, personal impressions are much more important. It's just been a talking point that brought out a lot of gaffer impressions.

The story isn't the biggest sticking point to me, but It's still something I'm interesting in hearing more impressions about in general.

its definitely not the worst. its better than halo 4. whats bad is the length and content of the story. youre left hanging at the end thinking "thats it ? its over already ?"

Yeah, I've heard the ending is similar in feel to Halo 2 in a "finish the fight" kind of way, but still positive, if not a bit disappointing from the build up.

Top Bottom