• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

trixx

Dang I'm interested in seeing what it is about the campaign that led to the complaints. Could definitely see playing as Chief for only 3 missions being one.

Anyways the scores are good, and the multiplayer sounds like it will be one of the best.

Lol at the situation gif.

Markoman

75setrH.gif

Robert Plant Gif what took you so long?

RSB

Banned
Well if it was like traditional ADS as we initially thought, it would have sucked. But it works very well on all of the weapons and any weapon it was clunky on from the beta (the DMR) was adjusted.

It's honestly one of my favorite things about the game.
Yeah, if it was full-blown ADS (like CoD or Destiny) it would have been awful.

Cosmetic ADS is tolerable, but I still prefer the classic zoom by far. The scope on the pistol is especially annoying to me. I understand why they did it (gotta please the modern shooter crowd) but they still should have included a classic scope option, for those that prefer the elegance of the old zoom over the screen cluttering mess of the "gun in the middle of the screen" approach.

It was railed for repetition on release check those reviews, but it still got 97. Nothing since has even come close to the sheer euphoria it gave playing campaign for the first time.
It was even better on replays. Still the GOAT shooter Campaign IMO.

Lol, all of these people upset over Halo 5 getting good overall scores just because they think it deserves to score higher than bloodborne. Now we get the desperate and irrelevant shots at uncharted 4, an unreleased game, and bloodborne, a game in a completely different genre.

He's not.

343 going to 343 can't say anymore than that. I wonder how many people are going home expecting to play as Chief and then have to sit through most of the campaign as Locke. I will still get this but 3 out of 15 is bullshit. Just using Chief to sell the game. How I wish Halo was still in safe hands.

Gator86

You just replied to a post by saying "Review threads never disappoint"...and then you proceeded to do the exact same thing. Did you even re-read or think about your comment before you posted it...?

Yup, saying I look forward to renting a game that runs well is exactly the same as comparing scores to Uncharted 4's theoretical Metacritic.

Fallout 4's review thread is going to be legendary.

Making Locke the primary playable character strikes me as kind of tone deaf on 343i's part. Especially since this was supposed to be kind of a back to basics game.

All this talk about a short campaign, but how long was Halo 4 on Heroic? My first playthrough of 4 was with friends and that sure wasn't short and that was on Legendary. Second playthrough was on my own on Heroic and still not short. If I had to guess... Around 8 to 10 hours. After all 343 have said about a longer campaign than 4,it sure would be a big downer if that's not the case at all. But I doubt that.

nib95

Banned
What's with the spoilers in here...
What the hell, guys?

Tbh, knowing the Chief/Locke mission count difference is probably a good spoiler to know. Would save on a lot of disappointment I'd imagine. I know I'm happier knowing it, otherwise I would have gone in expecting closer to a 50/50 split.

3 out of 15 missions are only chief? Who thought that was a good idea? I'll play it and see for myself, but I play for Chief, no one else.

Yes, you only play as Chief for 3 missions. The story is all about him, though. Of course, I would prefer to spend more time with Chief and the rest of Blue Team.

Madness

This is really like Halo 2 when people found out Arbiter shares almost equal if not more screen time than Chief and he ended up being a fan favorite character.

3 of 15 missions are chief? I puked in my mouth.

Is this confirmed?

Giantbomb says this :The problem there is that Locke's mission is to find the Master Chief, while Master Chief is chasing down things that actually matter. After a few early levels that make Locke's side of things seem more interesting than they are, the game quickly settles into a rhythm where I was following the Master Chief storyline pretty closely, but Locke's missions feel like busywork, like combat for the sake of combat. Like padding. Those missions are still engaging in the same way that Halo's action usually is, but I just wanted to skip over that to find out what the Master Chief is up to.

Which makes it sounds like they flip between each character a lot.

Trago

Making Locke the primary playable character strikes me as kind of tone deaf on 343i's part. Especially since this was supposed to be kind of a back to basics game.

Was is really? Considering the drastic changes to gameplay (for the better), this is anything but back to basics, if anything, it's a step forward.

Nice to see that the game's reviewing well. As I predicted a while back, I couldn't see the game getting an MC under 85 (though it's possible it will drop in the coming weeks).

Halo 5 is better on Metcaritic then Uncharted 4. Halo has more powerfuller weapons like machine guns with laser nullets. Natan Drak only jumps around and a pistol. And the graphic is not so good on Uncarted becaus it's not in space like Halo. I think Sony should themselves in the food with another Uncharted.

S9eei.gif

GAF is just a more exclusive version of GameFAQs.

HarryPotterAndTheNeoGAFE3Rules.gif

(it's not E3 but it still counts)

Yup, saying I look forward to renting a game that runs well is exactly the same as comparing scores to Uncharted 4's theoretical Metacritic.

I never meant you did what he did specifically, I meant your post generally came across as crap posting when you simplified Halo's story as "simply space marine punches aliens" - it's far deeper than that and you know it. And the fact you succeeded it by "oh well" and you'll gamefly it instead...it just seemed suspect at the time.

Then again, maybe I'm over thinking this, but I just felt that post came across as slightly trollish. My bad I guess....

All this talk about a short campaign, but how long was Halo 4 on Heroic? My first playthrough of 4 was with friends and that sure wasn't short and that was on Legendary. Second playthrough was on my own on Heroic and still not short. If I had to guess... Around 8 to 10 hours. After all 343 have said about a longer campaign than 4,it sure would be a big downer if that's not the case at all. But I doubt that.

If Halo 4 on heroic took you 8 to 10 hours you have nothing to worry about.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since the "Metacritic Scores Are Lower Now" question came up, I decided to check what actually got a 90+ this year.

I excluded late ports/remasters and used the most reviewed SKU for each game.

2015:
Undertale (94)
Metal Gear Solid V (93)
The Witcher 3 (92)
Bloodborne (92)
Out of the Park Baseball 16 (91)
Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2 (90)
Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 5 (90)

This year was very strong critically as well compared to last year.

2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (92)
Bayonetta 2 (91)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III (91)

Betty

Banned

Fallout 4 is going to be just fine. 90+, endless praise etc, etc.

2015:
Undertale (94)
Metal Gear Solid V (93)
The Witcher 3 (92)
Bloodborne (92)

2015 has been a good year IMO.

I always enjoy seeing better games come out as the generation advances.

Eric WK

Good reviews, but this is such a perfect reminder of how little reviews matter for the games I play and enjoy.

The life of the game for both competitive and casual multiplayer has fuckall to do with the story, which is easily the most subjective aspect of the game. And the idea that anybody knows today how successful the game will be from a multiplayer standpoint a year from now is absurd.

If you literally just want to play through the campaign and let the game collect dust, that's another matter.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Stinkles, I would love to know the thought process of only playing as Chief for 3 missions.

/s Remember how everybody hated how Halo 2 was only one half Masterchief? Let's double down on that.

Seriously though I buy Halo to play MC. Not a bunch of ODST, random Spartans or Elites.

Vinc

Since the "Metacritic Scores Now vs. Then" question came up, I decided to check what actually got a 90+ this year.

I excluded late ports/remasters and used the most reviewed SKU for each game.

2015:
Undertale (94)
Metal Gear Solid V (93)
The Witcher 3 (92)
Bloodborne (92)

This year was very strong critically as well compared to last year.

2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (92)
Bayonetta 2 (91)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III (91)

Man, Witcher 3 is criminally underrated.

:p

So sidelining the Chief equals innovation? How does it make for a better Halo game?

I'm pretty sure this game is called Halo 5, not Master Chief 5. Face it, while Master Chief will always be an iconic character in the Halo Universe, he's just one character in a larger story. 343 wants to try something new, breaking the mold of normal Halo games from the Chief perspective. As for if it works or not, I'll get back to you once I play the game through. But I'm not going to yell and moan about such changes until I play through it.

Top Bottom