• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Haines

Banned
The couple sites i trust didnt review it that great. I dunno, i never played halo 4 and i have the mcc so ill prob just get my fix there. That esport mode was cool in the beta i will admit.

alterno69

Banned
Dissapointed to read the singleplayer is lacking and Master Chief is only playable in 3 chapters out of 15. I will probably get this next month once i rearange my game room but this is not good news as i don't buy Halo for multiplayer.

So sidelining the Chief equals innovation? How does it make for a better Halo game?

lol i have no idea. These guys man....they just dont get it. Ive come to accept it now. If i wanted to play a fucking halo game without Chief, id play ODST. They take the idea from the worst halo game (Halo2) and make a new game out of it. Who makes these decisions at 343........

Madness

But how you quantify reviewers who give things like thumbs up and stars? Is one thumb up, 50/100 on metacritic?

I mean, Digital Spy chose 5 stars system over 100 point scale for a reason, and yet it becomes 60/100 which is technically what 3 out of 5 stars is, but you don't view it like that no?

level1

So sidelining the Chief equals innovation? How does it make for a better Halo game?

It gives the campaign a different feel. After being stuck with an outsider's pov for long stretches (osiris), being placed in the insider's role feels that much better and quite frankly more interesting.

People need to realise that chief is STILL the main character in Halo 5. The way the story is told makes sure that chief is always front and center in some way, even if you're not playing as him.

ironcreed

Banned
This is really like Halo 2 when people found out Arbiter shares almost equal if not more screen time than Chief and he ended up being a fan favorite character.

Pretty much how I see it as well. I loved Halo 2 and that two stories coming together approach.

Betty

Banned
I'm pretty sure this game is called Halo 5, not Master Chief 5. Face it, while Master Chief will always be an iconic character in the Halo Universe, he's just one character in a larger story. 343 wants to try something new, breaking the mold of normal Halo games from the Chief perspective. As for if it works or not, I'll get back to you once I play the game through. But I'm not going to yell and moan about such changes until I play through it.

But people say Locke is one of the most boring characters in the game... I mean why replace Chief with someone who seems to be so much like him.

I'd rather play as Chief too by the way.

wow there's that troll review.

Its not really a troll review. You might disagree with the opinion but he does justify it with some reasonable arguments.

At least that's the marketing pitch. When you actually play the game, with the borderline-incompetent AI controlling your teammates and on default difficulty, this pattern soon becomes a slog. Your team doesn't operate as one, and even chooses to ignore orders you send to them when you're trying to make them do something useful for once, limiting tactical potential and reducing every encounter to a straightforward shootout.

That poor intelligence on the computer-controlled characters' part bleeds into every element - enemies in combat not using cover, enemies out of combat ignoring your presence and walking into walls, friendlies in or out of combat being thoroughly useless - it all adds up and ends up frustrating.

It's also rather repetitive an experience. With almost every encounter following the pattern laid out above, it becomes difficult to really get excited by what's going on - and when you have to, say, face the same boss character in eight different incarnations (that literally happens), it becomes even harder to maintain enthusiasm.

Pretty legit complaints those. Lets not turn this into an UC3 review thread.

On another note, this is just a genuine question on how often Metacritic misinterprets a score:

Just checked Metacritic to see a 100/100 rating by Gaming age:

9825241b5a2f84ab2f24cad0a7704faa
(https://gyazo.com/9825241b5a2f84ab2f24cad0a7704faa)

But...Gaming Age awarded Halo 5 an "A"

7ad7a6b1a073a413ae75c095825a7105
(https://gyazo.com/7ad7a6b1a073a413ae75c095825a7105)

....which actually equates to 95 rather than 100 (you can check their review guidelines below); this is obviously different to what Metacritic registered it as

420455228520e7c189017977f80625d9
(http://www.gaming-age.com/review-guidelines/)

Just something I found weird...not that it matters much, but I just figured since this is a review thread you know...

RSB

Banned
This is really like Halo 2 when people found out Arbiter shares almost equal if not more screen time than Chief and he ended up being a fan favorite character.
Arby >>>>>> Chief

An ODST style game with him as the main character would be amazing.

I think it's going to be quite different here. I think Arbiter ended up being a pretty fantastic character.

I'd be surprised if the GAF consensus ends up with people liking Locke as a character.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
The Master Chief missions are hugely enjoyable. And though Osiris does feature more than Blue, it's still an enjoyable experience, complete with Nathan Fillion.

Nathan Fillion: the man is awesome! Need I say more?

GIF please...

Aceofspades

Banned
Since the "Metacritic Scores Are Lower Now" question came up, I decided to check what actually got a 90+ this year.

I excluded late ports/remasters and used the most reviewed SKU for each game.

2015:
Undertale (94)
Metal Gear Solid V (93)
The Witcher 3 (92)
Bloodborne (92)
Out of the Park Baseball 16 (91)
Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2 (90)
Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 5 (90)

This year was very strong critically as well compared to last year.

2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (92)
Bayonetta 2 (91)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III (91)

Bloodborne is a masterpiece, great year for gaming.

Hoo-doo

Banned
But how you quantify reviewers who give things like thumbs up and stars? Is one thumb up, 50/100 on metacritic?

I mean, Digital Spy chose 5 stars system over 100 point scale for a reason, and yet it becomes 60/100 which is technically what 3 out of 5 stars is, but you don't view it like that no?

And that's why we should move to OpenCritic already. Get all the reviews in one place and you can customize it to your exact liking, excluding review outlets that you think poorly represent your tastes and such.

86 is by no means bad, its excellent.
but people should stop pretending they expected 60s and 86 is a huge earth shattering victory.
it is still the lowest scoring halo ever.
jesus i mean how badly did you expect 343 to screw up?
so bad that you need to post celebration gif upon it just not sucking?

shoreu

Your favourite food sucks yo. Learn to accept that not everyone is gonna like what you like.

I get that but dayummm! that's some major difference in reviews. Most Reviewers suck ass at halo and really don't have a feel for the story so they don't appreciate it as much.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I don't remember the BioGamerGirl incident, and that makes me sad.

I don't remember all the details, but i think the story is that this unknown website (biogamergirl) reviewed Destiny and one of the quotes of the review was used on a official trailer for the game. As it this would give the game more credibility.

Here's the GAF thread about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902831

Digital Spy? It isn't even the worst one.

games.on.net

Honestly agree 100% with this review, especially this part:

"This engenders a careful, slow approach — especially when enemies do massive damage — which results in a style of play focused on cover shooting. In First Person Shooters this can be… less than satisfying at times. The nature of the viewpoint means that just to get any idea of the lay of the land, players need to risk taking damage by moving out of cover. This is what gave rise to the regenerating health mechanic in the first place, allowing players to look without being punished too harshly."

Didn't care for the encounter design at all. The gameplay is fun, but the first 3 difficulties are too easy and Legendary basically forces you to kill everything from behind cover.

Also this

"This creates a real sense of urgency in the player even when there isn’t any actual time-based failure trigger — instead of being told a situation is urgent through voiceover, the player moves quickly thanks to the organic priority-focused gameplay — if you move to the next checkpoint, the game will progress and the enemies you passed won’t pose a threat any more. Halo 5 doesn’t even have a time-based failure trigger though, so there’s zero reason to hurry beyond the nagging of an off-screen character."

There is WAY too much telling in this Campaign and not enough showing. And when you are showed...it's a cutscene.

But people say Locke is one of the most boring characters in the game... I mean why replace Chief with someone who seems to be so much like him.

I'd rather play as Chief too by the way.

But there's also 3 other characters who are main characters in their own right too in Fireteam Osiris. I don't know how much screentime they get vs Locke, but that might make that better.

Theorry

The Master Chief missions are hugely enjoyable. And though Osiris does feature more than Blue, it's still an enjoyable experience, complete with Nathan Fillion.

Nathan Fillion: the man is awesome! Need I say more?

GIF please...

Well he is awesome in Destiny also. The man is a beast with voice acting.

zsynqx

Since the "Metacritic Scores Now vs. Then" question came up, I decided to check what actually got a 90+ this year.

I excluded late ports/remasters and used the most reviewed SKU for each game.

2015:
Undertale (94)
Metal Gear Solid V (93)
The Witcher 3 (92)
Bloodborne (92)
Out of the Park Baseball 16 (91)
Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2 (90)
Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 5 (90)

This year was very strong critically as well compared to last year.

2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (92)
Bayonetta 2 (91)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III (91)

I'll give you 2013 (Last year of last gen)

GTA V (97)
The Last of Us (95)
Bioshock Inifinite (93/94)
Super Mario 3D world (93)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (92)
Rayman Legends (92)
TLOZ: A Link Between Worlds (91)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (90)
Dota 2 (90)

Were some remakes etc. but they don't count.

shinnn

From the ones currently announced, you could be right. Maybe Quantum Break but I doubt it. But I'm sure the next Forza Horizon will crack the 90.

Honeslty, almost everything 2016 has to offer has a shot. They have a chance at bringing another "Lost Odyssey" Jrpgforaconsolethathasnone in Scalebound, and platinum games working on a dream project gives me some hope.

Then Crackdown has a chance purely because if the game works as intended, it will be some revolutionary shit.

If they do a Forza Horizon 3 next year, that has a chance as well.

I kind of expected lower for Halo 5 tbh, at this point its just so many things to so many people, expecting to please all of them is impossible.

FH and FH2 didn't surpassed 90. Why would FH3? Seems more like people will get tired of the game.

For me FH2 deserves a 90 score at least.

Halo 5 will probably be lower than Halo 4. That's nuts.

Starfield

GTA V (97)
The Last of Us (95)
Rayman Legends (92)
Dota 2 (90)

GTAV holy hell how did this crap game get 97. Even 4 was better

Scores are pretty much what any sane person should expect from a shooter franchise that's been going for 14 years. Main reason its not 90s across the board anymore is simply due to the fact the games are mind blowing like 1 and 2 were back then. When Halo first came out, it was one of the best looking games out across everything, even pc, maybe not the best but truly a sight. Not to mention what Xbox LIVE brought to consoles with online gaming and Halo 1 and 2 mutliplayer being as solid as it could be, its not hard to realize why 2001 and 2004 this meant straight 90+ review scores and doesn't today.

Instead of bitching that the game isn't the pinnacle of the franchise, you should be happy to see that after 14 years and many game releases, that the franchise is still as relevant to people today as it is.

Also, pretty damn funny reading MC is only in like 3/15 missions after that whole thing IGN did about him.

And that's why we should move to OpenCritic already. Get all the reviews in one place and you can customize it to your exact liking, excluding review outlets that you think poorly represent your tastes and such.

Opencritic isn't much better than Metacritic, IMO. It doesn't account for the differences in review scales just like Metacritic. I want a move to a Rotten Tomatoes style aggregator. Positive/Negative. Easy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

GTA V (97)
The Last of Us (95)
Rayman Legends (92)
Dota 2 (90)

And that was a really stand out year to boot.

86 is by no means bad, its excellent.
but people should stop pretending they expected 60s and 86 is a huge earth shattering victory.
it is still the lowest scoring halo ever.
jesus i mean how badly did you expect 343 to screw up?
so bad that you need to post celebration gif upon it just not sucking?

what-the-f-tom-delonge.gif

Gonna quote this for the new page, as I just want to know people's thoughts on this:

On another note, this is just a genuine question on how often Metacritic misinterprets a score:

Just checked Metacritic to see a 100/100 rating by Gaming age:

9825241b5a2f84ab2f24cad0a7704faa
(https://gyazo.com/9825241b5a2f84ab2f24cad0a7704faa)

But...Gaming Age awarded Halo 5 an "A"

7ad7a6b1a073a413ae75c095825a7105
(https://gyazo.com/7ad7a6b1a073a413ae75c095825a7105)

....which actually equates to 95 rather than 100 (you can check their review guidelines below); this is obviously different to what Metacritic registered it as

420455228520e7c189017977f80625d9
(http://www.gaming-age.com/review-guidelines/)

Just something I found weird...not that it matters much, but I just figured since this is a review thread you know...which begs the question if other reviews are also like this and if it has affect the average score (and thus devs bonuses etc...)

Kssio_Aug

lol i have no idea. These guys man....they just dont get it. Ive come to accept it now. If i wanted to play a fucking halo game without Chief, id play ODST. They take the idea from the worst halo game (Halo2) and make a new game out of it. Who makes these decisions at 343........

Are you sure that arent you who "don't get it"? It seems like it to me!

Aceofspades

Banned
Scores are pretty much what any sane person should expect from a shooter franchise that's been going for 14 years. Main reason its not 90s across the board anymore is simply due to the fact the games are mind blowing like 1 and 2 were back then. When Halo first came out, it was one of the best looking games out across everything, even pc, maybe not the best but truly a sight. Not to mention what Xbox LIVE brought to consoles with online gaming and Halo 1 and 2 mutliplayer being as solid as it could be, its not hard to realize why 2001 and 2004 this meant straight 90+ review scores and doesn't today.

Instead of bitching that the game isn't the pinnacle of the franchise, you should be happy to see that after 14 years and many game releases, that the franchise is still as relevant to people today as it is.

Also, pretty damn funny reading MC is only in like 3/15 missions after that whole thing IGN did about him.

MGS series is 30 years old, that didn't prevent MGSV from getting 93 meta..

Top Bottom