• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Interfectum

Oh god...what have I done

im never going to post opinions anymore

When you shit on a critically loved and commercially successful game you should probably expand on your thoughts more than saying its a "crap game." The blow back was inevitable and you should have known that.

I don't get the 343i hate considering half the team if not more consisted of Bungie devs who worked on halo.

Also, Halo 4 was a good game. Maybe not the best Halo game but it added some needed changes to the franchise, some of which were improvements and I'm loving the 60fps target.

I think literally Frankie is the only ex-Bungie member there since Vic Deleon left. There might be some lesser known people though. But it is definitely nowhere close to half.

Papacheeks

Banned
The thing that I hate mainly on meta critic is the in-consistency with reviewers they allow. I actually had them add reviews that were up on Gametrailers to their selection of reviewers, for couple games.
I hate that there's a bunch of site's reviewer's that sound like they are mostly from generic sites, or sites not known to cover video games.

Happens with a lot of game reviews I see on all fronts. They have some Brazilian website or something give a game a 10, and I'v never heard o them.
To me it's the same as joe schmo on rottentomatoes reviewing a film. I see reviews from people who have a blog site and it get's counted.

Big player's to me for reviews, GiantBomb, Gamespot, IGN, Destructoid, Jim sterling, Kotaku, gametrailers, GAME Informer, Digital Spy, The verge, unfortunately Polygon, EGM, Edge, Attack of the fanboy, Rock Paper Shotgun, can't think of any others off the top of my head.

On a side note how does an expansion for a Multiplat game get a higher review than an Exclusive, that's made from Previous Halo developers?

EDIT: Forgot Games radar, Eurogamer

AHA-Lambda

2 years out and still no 90+ Metacritic XB1 exclusive :/

giphy.gif

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
When you shit on a critically loved and commercially successful game you should probably expand on your thoughts more than saying its a "crap game." The blow back was inevitable and you should have known that.

I love when people shit post and then say, "OMG it's like, my opinion!!1"

Anyway, H5 seems pretty sweet and I hope to pick it up this Black Friday.

ironcreed

Banned
Not a bad score at all. However, it does continue to prove that the Halo series post Bungie has been quite divisive (not in a bad way, but where expectations aren't met). Expecting a 84-85 when the dust settles on this.

Which would be just fine. Overall, it seems like a great entry in the series, which is all anyone could realistically expect. This 'it has to be above 90 on metacritic or bust' mentality is disturbing, to say the least.

86 is great folks, not sure what's bad about an average of 86

Id be curious to see how it matches up with previous games on that front considering going back to some of them made me realize how badly some of them aged. Especially 2. Finished it yesterday again, what a terrible SP. I love how the game starts off with the the guy upgrading your armor and he tells you how much better they are then before, yet im dying twice as fast as i was in Halo CE (both heroic).

styl3s

It's Halo, i don't expect some 10/10 story. I buy it because i enjoy it's average sci-fi campaigns, co-op and the meat and cheese, multi-player.

Halo 1-4 campaigns were all average IMO and that's fine, i love them. I eat the shit up i own all the books and comics and just spent a month and a half re-reading everything, watching the web series and playing 1-4, ODST, Wars and ODST. The average on metacritic is great and i am super fucking excited to play it.

The Halo franchise has been known for its impressive artificial intelligence since the beginning and while the enemies in Halo 5 fare pretty well, there is a sense that enemies can't quite stand toe to toe with Bungie's best. Enemies feel less dynamic overall with a focus placed more on dealing with large numbers of them rather than individual, intelligent units. Friendly AI is generally pretty good but it does struggle with pathfinding while driving the player around in a Warthog. Ultimately, it's only when comparing to Bungie's work that we feel a bit of disappointment in this area.

Oh man please don't be the case :(

Oh man please don't be the case :(

AI is better than 4 IMO but not by much.

I've had some enemy AI stand right next to be without shooting while waiting for my squad to revive me. The squad itself would also stand right next to enemies without shooting. Pathfinding is a mixed bag when it comes to revives. Sometimes they're parkour legends, but other times they like to smell the roses and take forever to get to me (especially Fred and Buck)

So the central core character is off screen the majority of the time?

Just because you're not playing as him doesn't mean he's not there. He's the core of the story, the dialogue, the purpose of your missions. Etc. Don't be ignorant to the story until you play it. Chief is the main character and it feels completely right to me how they handled the campaign. It feels right when you play it and that's what matters.

shoreu

I believe that we should not condemn someone for liking or not liking something if their reasons are sound. I mean, I dislike bayonetta on a mechanical level eventhough people call it one of the best character action game ever made and got shat on for it. It's not a nice position to be in.

I'm going to look over several of these reviews on their point and get back to you on it. From a glance i'm not seeing that point they are making in abundance but i'll be back with quotes. Having played this game I can not agree with giving it a 6/10 it's simply good for that. But that's just me critiquing a review.

styl3s

edit: apparantly people didn't like my gta opinion. Which is fine. I'm probably the 0,00001% who didn't enjoy GTA V but had a lot of fun with lV
If you makes you feel any better i didn't care for V at all. I think i got about 6 hours into the campaign before i sold it to a friend.

But, BUT. I was never a huge fan of the GTA series to begin with i only really enjoyed 3, VC and SA for the innovation and the sandbox stuff i have always thought the storylines in these games have been painfully average to just bleh and i was tired of the franchise after SA. Didn't care for either 4 or 5.

Sunset Overdrive didn't break 90? Easily the best game I've played this gen so far. Seems like Metacritic averages are bunko if this is this case.

Review aggregations are silly in general. Easy to market, easy to make quick assumptions on... But a lot of games I've enjoyed I'd never had touched if I was the kind of person who lives off of Metacritic.

Alan Wake is 83. D4 is 76. Twisted Metal is 76. God Hand is 73. TW101 is 78. Deadly Premonition is 68. I could go on and on - but those games are 9+/10 to me.

I just don't see the value in numbered review aggregates anymore, especially when titles either get slammed or end up with unsuitably high scores (see: Warlords of Draenor). /shrug

Oh noes! All of the enjoyment I've gotten from the games I played on XBO are suddenly diminished ... because they weren't 90+ on Metacritic.

#Sackcloth #Ashes #Lamentations #HaloisDAD

I don't know about you but my X1 prominently displays a warning message on every title below a 90 metacritic during gameplay to remind me that I'm playing something quite sub-par.

Wagram

Which would be just fine. Overall, it seems like a great entry in the series, which is all anyone could realistically expect. This 'it has to be above 90 on metacritic or bust' mentality is disturbing, to say the least.

Hey man, some of my favorite games are a 60 or below on Metacritic. The score doesn't matter to me at all.

I don't think we'll see aggregate scores on Metacritic be 90+ for all AAA games anymore. That's a good thing. More outlets are actually using the whole scale rather than 7-10 range...

Mattenth

Well since we're already derailed...

OpenCritic is working on a new scoring system, similar to rotten tomatoes. It's simply stupid that aggregate game review scales are effectively from 75-95.

We plan to switch to a net promoter type system, similar to Rotten Tomatoes (though not a total copy). Calculation will still be transparent, unweighted, and publicly verifiable.

Halo 5 would score exceptionally high. 20 out of 23 scoring verdicts are considered "recommenders" or "promoters."

We have some sexy infographics that'll show a bit better why we are making the change. But thought I'd mention it now, too.

Fat4all

Banned
I don't know about you but my X1 prominently displays a warning message on every title below a 90 metacritic during gameplay to remind me that I'm playing something so sub-par.

Mine chews up those games and says "THIS IS BULLSHIT", as the games are spat out onto the floor.

BokehKing

Banned
An 86 is still a B+

I don't see the outrage?
Yeah everyone wants their favorite series to be high 90's
But that's the thing about people's favorite series it can rate 60 and you will still love it due to your investment.

I thought the order was a great game, it is the laughing stock of GAF and harsh reviews but I loved it

End of the day, the only review that matters is your own

Top Bottom