• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

I'd say criminally overrated. Way too buggy. More so than the average Assassins Creed.

I didnt even encounter many and i still agree, way too many faults that people overlook.at least ubi took a lot of shit and manned up to it.witcher 2 is objectively a better witcher game.3 is just a good rpg with bad combat.
if like ubi,
had cdpr cancelled the season pass, given away a free game and heartstone dlc in order to fix the console versions bugs and fps, youd be seeing temples of them all around the world

Banned
I don't get the 343i hate considering half the team if not more consisted of Bungie devs who worked on halo.

Also, Halo 4 was a good game. Maybe not the best Halo game but it added some needed changes to the franchise, some of which were improvements and I'm loving the 60fps target.

cheesekao

I get that but dayummm! that's some major difference in reviews. Most Reviewers suck ass at halo and really don't have a feel for the story so they don't appreciate it as much.
I believe that we should not condemn someone for liking or not liking something if their reasons are sound. I mean, I dislike bayonetta on a mechanical level eventhough people call it one of the best character action game ever made and got shat on for it. It's not a nice position to be in.

Not really news. Metacritic has never been perfect at translating scores and they weight them differently anyway. Just another reason people shouldn't take it too seriously

Well yeah, but if the site has a dedicated page on how to translate their score /100, you'd think Metacritic would actually use it and be a bit less lazy/incompetent in doing so :p

It can be the difference between a dev getting a bonus or not (ala Destiny/Fallout NV). I'm not simply talking from the perspective on whether to trust/get the game based off a MC score, I'm just talking about how a silly mistake may lead to other repercussions.

Since the "Metacritic Scores Are Lower Now" question came up, I decided to check what actually got a 90+ this year.

I excluded late ports/remasters and used the most reviewed SKU for each game.

2015:
Undertale (94)
Metal Gear Solid V (93)
The Witcher 3 (92)
Bloodborne (92)
Out of the Park Baseball 16 (91)
Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2 (90)
Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 5 (90)

This year was very strong critically as well compared to last year.

2014:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (92)
Bayonetta 2 (91)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III (91)

The only one on the list that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is MGSV, considering the ludicrous amount of hyperbole from reviewers praising the game's story when that was easily the worst part. But then, there's the context of how they played the games that's relevant as well.

Reviews are great, not that they were going to change my mind either way, but feeling really stoked for tonight.

I don't get the 343i hate considering half the team if not more consisted of Bungie devs who worked on halo.

Also, Halo 4 was a good game. Maybe not the best Halo game but it added some needed changes to the franchise, some of which were improvements and I'm loving the 60fps target.

343 only has a couple ex-bungie employees.

Starfield

Hope the game will be installed and ready at 00:00

I want to get my own opinion on he campagin

edit: apparantly people didn't like my gta opinion. Which is fine. I'm probably the 0,00001% who didn't enjoy GTA V but had a lot of fun with lV

You can use this gif to sum up this thread, and it's highly effective in forward, or reverse!

SaKf86y.gif

klopp-flasche-ot1u3d.gif

etta

my hard graphic balls
Tbh, knowing the Chief/Locke mission count difference is probably a good spoiler to know. Would save on a lot of disappointment I'd imagine. I know I'm happier knowing it, otherwise I would have gone in expecting closer to a 50/50 split.

Well, to be fair, if I count all the things that 343i have done right by this game, all the transparency, how they handled the multiplayer, the beta, the lore, the microtransactions system, the marketing, the soundtrack, the viddocs, everything, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that only 3/15 missions for Chief is there for a reason.
The only things that have gone wrong about this game has been the lack of server selection based on user preference and that non-answer about Halo 5 possibly coming to PC that the media ran wild with.
Everything else that 343i has done right by this, so I'll use that to infer that there must be a reason for the way the missions are split.
I'll reserve judgement until I've finished it.
Either way, I'll look forward to Buck dialogue.

Betty

Banned
GTAV holy hell how did this crap game get 97. Even 4 was better

By the mere fact the cars in GTAV are fun to drive and don't handle like weighted tanks on sheets of ice like 4 makes it a superior game.

Then there's the heist's, the far, FAR greater world, the colour, the amazing range of activities, the fact you can actually use your money to buy things and the amazing range of customization options from outfits to vehicles.

And of course when it comes to attention to detail the game just constantly awes, even today.

GTAV was and is phenomenal.

cakely

Opencritic isn't much better than Metacritic, IMO. It doesn't account for the differences in review scales just like Metacritic. I want a move to a Rotten Tomatoes style aggregator. Positive/Negative. Easy.

Funny that this is my first contribution to this insane thread but YES. Rottentomatoes binary aggregation is really the way to go for review sites.

(Also, congrats Halo 5, those are some nice scores)

GTA games are awful. I'm glad this is a Halo thread.

Funny that this is my first contribution to this insane thread but YES. Rottentomatoes binary aggregation is really the way to go for review sites.

(Also, congrats Halo 5, those are some nice scores)

/brofist

ShutterMunster

From what I've seen of the game Locke doesn't seem to be very interesting. He's another straight shooter with limited personality, just like Chief has been all these years. Game protagonist on the whole are extremely uninteresting. I was hoping that 343 would come in and give us some proper characters, but it doesn't appear they have. No matter, I'm really here for the multiplayer anyway.

Does this unlock at 12AM EST or 3?

Oh god...what have I done

im never going to post opinions anymore

I mean... just don't post bad ones? :p

Wagram

Not a bad score at all. However, it does continue to prove that the Halo series post Bungie has been quite divisive (not in a bad way, but where expectations aren't met for everyone ex. MGSV). Expecting a 84-85 when the dust settles on this.

Starfield

From what I've seen of the game Locke doesn't seem to be very interesting. He's another straight shooter with limited personality, just like Chief has been all these years. Game protagonist on the whole are extremely uninteresting. I was hoping that 343 would come in and give us some proper characters, but it doesn't appear they have. No matter, I'm really here for the multiplayer anyway.

Does this unlock at 12AM EST or 3?

I mean... just don't post bad ones? :p

I hope Buck will bring some positive vibes into Osiris team. Other than that I already find Tanaka annoying.
Where did you purchase the game from?

I'll try not to

AHA-Lambda

I'm gonna go out on a limb as guess that Ryan just really hates that

*LEGIT SPOILERS here so don't give me lip if you read this*

Cortana is the big bad in this and he really liked the send off they gave to her in Halo 4. Only 3 missions where you play as Blue Team probably gave him an aneurysm as well.

*LEGIT SPOILERS here so don't give me lip if you read this*

Out of everything I've seen of this game worst campaign sounds like hyperbole but if those 2 things really get your blood boiling this I could see why you hate the campaign.

That real?? I'd need to see it in game (not that 343 are masters of storytelling as we well know) but I really don't like the sound of that either, at all >_<

Timeaisis

86 is pretty good. Wish I had an Xbox for this, I'm kind of having my yearly shooter itch.

Stealth EDIT: Oh, sorry, I didn't read enough of the thread. I mean. GAAAH I'M SO ANGRY RAAWR

Sounds about right so far I guess.

MP could suprise a few people though, personally I was burnt by MCC so I won't be parting with my money anytime soon.

Hope the hardcore enjoy it though.

A little disappointed more reviewers aren't taking 343 to task for excluding couch co-op, the feature the franchise was built on. You'd think the lack of a game play mode that every single previous iteration of the game has had would be at least worthy of a mention.

Top Bottom