• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

An 85 on Metacritic?!!! smh

That's pretty much a death sentence for a AAA game like this. Yikes, 7 points lower than Witcher 3, and 8 points lower than Metal Gear Solid 5.

This was the only game even slightly tempting me to get an Xbox One, now I can give Halo 5 a hard pass. The series ended with Halo 3 & Reach imo.

lol, I'm just gonna repost this here,

Some of my favorite games of all time have similar or lower scores...

Sunset Overdrive: 81
Halo ODST: 83
Dying Light: 74
O_O
Alien Isolation: 78
Alan Wake: 83
Wolfenstein The New Order: 81
Diablo 3: 86
Darksiders I and II: 83
Borderlands: 84
Viva Pinata: 84
The Last Remnant: 66
Dynasty Warriors 6: 60
F.E.A.R.: 85
Condemned: 81
Lost Odyssey: 78
Beautiful Katamari: 73
Enchanted Arms: 69

In fact, Halo CE, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Bioshock infinite (the last three being slammed by many on GAF regardless of meta, go figure) are the only games that are on my GOAT list that scored higher but you know what? I had no idea what ANY of their scores where until I just now looked it up. The vast majority of my favorite games of all time have damnable scores according to some of you because they didn't get 90-100 meta. smh.

Before I knew the scores I enjoyed them immensely but now that I know the scores I don't know if I can enjoy them anymore...
Am I doing it right?

Plenty of AAA games in that list.

blakep267

That's pretty much a death sentence for a AAA game like this. Yikes, 7 points lower than Witcher 3, and 8 points lower than Metal Gear Solid 5.

This was the only game even slightly tempting me to get an Xbox One, now I can give Halo 5 a hard pass. The series ended with Halo 3 & Reach imo.
I know your kidding but metacritic really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Advanced warfare was at like 82 and still was one of the best sellers last year. And I don't wanna get started on Battlefront which will be coming out soon I think that's gonna get 7-8's across the boards but still will sell boatloads

Randam

Wow at that level of salt here.
And the uncharted bashing.

Uncharted seems to even improve the formula.
Will be interesting if it can beat part 2's 96.

gossi

I know your kidding but metacritic really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Advanced warfare was at like 82 and still was one of the best sellers last year. And I don't wanna get started on Battlefront which will be coming out soon I think that's gonna get 7-8's across the boards but still will sell boatloads

Product sales and quality don't exactly overlap.

Astral Dog

Im not sure if this is a joke.
Didnt HALO 4 recieved about the same? what about Call of Duty or Destiny?

hawk2025

If an 85 is a death sentence, there's about a dozen games tops you must have played this generation.

Edit: Wait, I just realized this is probably sarcasm.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
lol, I'm just gonna repost this here,

Plenty of AAA games in that list.

The only game that even comes close to AAA on your list is ODST, and even then it was a smaller side story for Halo. You tried.

I've bolded my favorite games off of your list:

Dying Light: 74 O_O

3 of my favorites got bad scores, but they aren't AAA and weren't expected to sell.

Destiny has a 76 metacritic and is doing very well it seems.

Okay? Destiny is garbage and deserving of the score.

If an 85 is a death sentence, there's about a dozen games tops you must have played this generation.

Edit: Wait, I just realized this is probably sarcasm.

Don't think it is...?

The only game that even comes close to AAA on your list is ODST, and even then it was a smaller side story for Halo. You tried.

3 of my favorites got bad scores, but they aren't AAA and weren't expected to sell.

Synth

So now there are 3 people that list Enchanted Arms amongst their favourite games.

I didn't think there would be that many people globally, let alone on GAF. I'm seeing the entire world differently now.

Kssio_Aug

I don't know how people will take that post of mine, but that's something I believe its true...

I totally believe multiplatform games are reviewed differently than exclusive games to some reviewers out there. The bias in exclusive titles is something very real in my point of view. I'm not saying that's an exclusive thing for Microsoft or Halo though, it exsits everywhere. But that happens specially in those most anticipated games, and in that case Halo 5 had to deal with two problems: a) some people still can't accept 343, b) and Xbox One is kind of the black sheep of this generation.

The gaming industry is very passionate overall. And that definitely affects people point of view. Multiplatform games are positioned in a much more neutral place.

That's partially the reason why I don't like scores. First they will never measure with precision a quality of a game, and second because it creates very unecessary and unfair score comparison. I much prefer the way Kotaku and Eurogamer do it. It kind of forces you to read it, at least the overall conclusion.

If you want to understand a reviewer point of view you can't just look at the score, you need to read it. And with that score system being so "overvalued" people usually just look at it and simply doesnt care about reading reviewers point of views.

We have lot's of great review threads to look forward:

-Tomb Raider
-Street Fighter V
-Uncharted 4 (I think this will be a instant classic)
-Quantum Break
-The Last Guardian
-Gran Turismo 7
-Next Forza Motorsport (If it launches after GT7)

Man the TR thread will be fantastic. If it reviews well, a ton of salty "Day 1 on the PC/PS4 posts". If it reviews poorly a lot of gleeful posts.

hawk2025

I don't know how people will take that post of mine, but that's something I believe its true...

I totally believe multiplatform games are reviewed in a very different way than exclusive games to some reviewers out there. The bias in exclusive titles is something very real in my point of view. I'm not saying that's an exclusive thing for Microsoft or Halo though, it exsits everywhere. But that happens specially in those most anticipated games, and in that case Halo 5 had to deal with two problems: a) some people still can't accept 343, b) and Xbox One is kind of the black sheep of this generation.

The gaming industry is very passionate overall. And that definitely affects peoples point of view.

That's partially the reason why I don't like scores. First they will never measure with precision a quality of a game, and second because it creates very unecessary and unfair score comparison. I much prefer the way Kotaku and Eurogamer do it.

...yeah, there's zero evidence of any of this in any of the dozens of reviews I've read.

Man the TR thread will be fantastic. If it reviews well, a ton of salty "Day 1 on the PC/PS4 posts". If it reviews poorly a lot of gleeful posts.

It's like the next NPD thread, there will be no avoiding the mess. No matter which scenario, we all lose. I think I'm staying away from that particular review thread :p

I don't see how the "Day 1 on platform X" in particular is salty, though. If anything, the person is being pretty objective about being excited about a game regardless of having to play it later! Maybe an unnecessary comment, though, but so many people do that already. Tons of threads already have "will pick up on (insert platform here) for (insert reasons here)" for no particularly good reason.

Everyone will have a different opinion, depending on what you're looking for.

I'm looking for something that doesn't have cringe moments or egghead dialogue. I'm looking for solid weapon balance.

A point system is insignificant, to me at least.

This is a schtick, right?

RIGHT?

LOL @ Diablo not being AAA.

Synth

I totally believe multiplatform games are reviewed in a very different way than exclusive games to some reviewers out there. The bias in exclusive titles is something very real in my point of view. I'm not saying that's an exclusive thing for Microsoft or Halo though, it exsits everywhere. But that happens specially in those most anticipated games, and in that case Halo 5 had to deal with two problems: a) some people still can't accept 343, b) and Xbox One is kind of the black sheep of this generation.

The gaming industry is very passionate overall. And that definitely affects peoples point of view.

That's partially the reason why I don't like scores. First they will never measure with precision a quality of a game, and second because it creates very unecessary and unfair score comparison. I much prefer the way Kotaku and Eurogamer do it.

The scores are harmless by themselves. They're just a quick representation of a group of different views. The problem is when people start trying to make them mean more than that. The difference between an 85 and a 90 may be significant for an individual (as we have a tendency to round things up/down to compartmentalise them), but when it's a aggregate having a review or two that causes it to break through the barrier isn't the same thing... but people tend to act like it is. It's especially confusing when talking about weighted averages, as it will often depend on who rates it higher or lower, and not just how many people.

I'm sorry but this is fucking stupid. Are we really calling it's a death sentence to a game that has an 85 after what over 100 reviews? Also if one game was your precedent for buying a console you should really rethink your buying strategies imo.

Halo should never be compared to COD. Halo is Microsoft's flagship series and not released yearly, anything below exceptional is a disappointment. If your comparing the two then that shows how far halo has fallen.

Vooduu

computer-facepalm.gif

The difference between an 85 and a 90 may be significant for an individual (as we have a tendency to round things up/down to compartmentalise them), but when it's a aggregate having a review or two that causes it to break through the barrier isn't the same thing... but people tend to act like it is.

Well, 85 is a good score, 90 is an amazing score, right?

I just hope the mods are all over that shit when/if it happens.

south-park-s19e05c14-reality-strikes-back_16x9.jpg

So thus this mean Halo 5 is out of the GOTY race?
We got:
MGS V
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
(Most Likely) Fallout 4
(add episodic, Indie or underrated game here) or Arkham Knight

Just shocked that so many care about review scores, good or bad. I mean, I use them as a tool to assist in my decision amongst other criteria, but mainly as a way to gauge general sentiment rather than nitpick about 85 vs 90. Both are genuinely good scores and it's disgusting to see people putting the game down about it as well as feel the need to defend the game and attack the reviewers because they felt it was too low.

These review threads are always such utter embarrassments, and this one continues the tradition. What's the point of the "I can't wait for 'other platform's game' review thread" outside of being a sad attempt to start shit and/or incite even more fanboyism than what is already on display. It's like people hope for games to be bad or review poorly, which in my opinion, is incredibly idiotic. And this goes for PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo related threads. I'm honestly surprised this thread hasn't been locked, with a new one made in its place.

Synth

Well, 85 is a good score, 90 is an amazing score, right?

Sure, that's how we see it... but that mostly works for a single person reviewing... how valid is that when you're talking about how many people are rating it "good" versus "amazing"? If 50 people rate it exactly 9 (they all think it's amazing) and then 3 people rate it 8 (they think it's good), then the average becomes "good" rather than "amazing".

I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job getting my point across here tbh.

Vooduu

These review threads are always such utter embarrassments, and this one continues the tradition. What's the point of the "I can't wait for 'other platform's game' review thread outside of being a sad attempt to start shit and/or incite even more fanboyism than what is already on display. It's like people hope for games to be bad or review poorly, which in my opinion, is incredibly idiotic. And this goes for PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo related threads. I'm honestly surprised this thread hasn't been locked, with a new one made in its place.

You shouldn't be surprised. Remember where you are.

Kssio_Aug

The scores are harmless by themselves. They're just a quick representation of a group of different views. The problem is when people start trying to make them mean more than that. The difference between an 85 and a 90 may be significant for an individual (as we have a tendency to round things up/down to compartmentalise them), but when it's a aggregate having a review or two that causes it to through the barrier isn't the same thing... but people tend to act like it is. It's especially confusing when talking about weighted averages, as it will often depend on who rates it higher or lower, and not just how many people.

Exactly. But also its because people make them mean more than just a score for that individual perception that Metascore is capable of generating so many reactions, as we can see here. It floods the internet forums every time a big release is launched.

It is just very unfair to take an overall score of, lets say 84 (Halo 5), and at the same time to say it is worse than Halo 4 (87) or Metal Gear Solid 5 (95). All of them have high scores, but the difference is enough to make some people mind. And if you take the reviews and read it you see that most certainly that's not true.

A score system will never be accurate. If I try to evaluate all of the games I played with a score from 1 to 10 I will find it already very difficult to do justice to them. So take different people scores and opinions, with their different senses, emotions, a natural bias, or whatever and take a single number out of it, and that's probably just one of the most inaccurate ways to evaluate a product. Be it a game, a movie or a music.

TaterTots

Banned
I've only read a couple of pages, but the salt is there. Someones opinion about a game you're interested in shouldn't waver your desire to play, unless the game is completely broken. Opinions are just that. Just because I've had more fun playing One Finger Death Punch than Uncharted 3 doesn't mean everyone will share that opinion.

I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job getting my point across here tbh.

Nah, you just didn't got that reference. Halo 5 is still great game. But I asume that the overall metacritics score is not as good as some people thought it could be, and not as bad as other people hoped it would be. With 85, Halo 5 is stucked in the middle between mission accomplished and "meh".

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
These review threads are always such utter embarrassments, and this one continues the tradition. What's the point of the "I can't wait for 'other platform's game' review thread" outside of being a sad attempt to start shit and/or incite even more fanboyism than what is already on display. It's like people hope for games to be bad or review poorly, which in my opinion, is incredibly idiotic. And this goes for PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo related threads. I'm honestly surprised this thread hasn't been locked, with a new one made in its place.

Just sit back my good man and enjoy the read. This thread has kept me occupied and laughing my arse off all day. They are embarassing but yet incredibly entertaining.

It's almost like some people in review threads get so upset they probably spend some of their time cry wanking into a tin because their favourite game didn't get above 90 on metacritic.

Lingitiz

dying light with the 74...da faq. where was the outrage over that one? :)

Barely even deserves that.
So thus this mean Halo 5 is out of the GOTY race?
We got:
MGS V
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
(Most Likely) Fallout 4
(add episodic, Indie or underrated game here) or Arkham Knight
It's been a really long time since Halo (or any AAA shooter sequel) was a contender.

Expect MGSV, The Witcher 3, Mario Maker, Bloodborne, and Fallout 4 to be the biggest names during GOTY talks. Undertale, Splatoon, and Ori should get some nice mentions as well.

Vooduu

Just sit back my good man and enjoy the read. This thread has kept me occupied and laughing my arse off all day. They are embarassing but yet incredibly entertaining.

It's almost like some people in review threads get so upset they probably spend some of their time cry wanking into a tin because their favourite game didn't get above 90 on metacritic.

People care more about how a game stands out instead of actually playing and enjoying the game.

Like the gaming equivalent of overcompensating.

Synth

Exactly. But also its because people make them mean more than just a score for that individual perception that Metascore is capable of generating so many reactions, as we can see here. It floods the internet forums every time a big release is launched.

It is just very unfair to take an overall score of, lets say 84 (Halo 5), and at the same time to say it is worse than Halo 4 (87) or Metal Gear Solid 5 (95). All of them have high scores, but the difference is enough to make some people mind. And if you take the reviews and read it you see that most certainly that's not true.

A score system will never be accurate. If I try to evaluate all of the games I played with a score from 1 to 10 I will find it already very difficult to do justice to them. So take different people scores and opinions, with their different senses, emotions, a natural bias, or whatever and take a single number out of it, and that's probably just one of the most inaccurate ways to evaluate a product. Be it a game, a movie or a music.

Yea, I mean.. sure, you can draw some conclusions from score comparisons. I'd be pretty confident that most people in general enjoyed Final Fantasy VII more than Enchanted Arms (heh), but there's an awful lot of variables that can cause micro-adjustments to a metacritic score... else we wouldn't have to keep watching as scores continue to come in, because you never know when that on 5/10 by a highly weighed outlet may come through.

In regards to comparisons with past entries, MCC as an entire package scored lower than Halo 4 alone. Would Halo 4 get an 87 if released in exactly the same form today? Doubtful. Would CE get a 97? Fuck no (yes, I'm confident enough to treat this one as a fact). A lower score years later doesn't mean the game is definitely worse (though it may still be). There's no science to scoring 90+ amongst a bunch of complete individuals.

Nah, you just didn't got that reference. Halo 5 is still great game. But I asume that the overall metacritics score is not as good as some people thought it could be, and not as bad as other people hoped it would be. With 85, Halo 5 is stucked in the middle between mission accomplished and "meh".

Ah ok. Yea any reference you were going for flew straight by me.

We have lot's of great review threads to look forward:

-Tomb Raider
-Street Fighter V
-Uncharted 4 (I think this will be a instant classic)
-Quantum Break
-The Last Guardian
-Gran Turismo 7
-Next Forza Motorsport (If it launches after GT7)

I don't think anything in the U4 review thread will top the 8/10 meltdown of U3. At least I'm hoping nothing will because that is still the craziest review thread I've ever seen.

Top Bottom