• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Z3M0G

So I cut up my recording of the playthrough for my review, and these were my results:
o4lyMhQ.png

I had just watched all the cinematics on youtube (would never buy an XBO to play this but am interested in the story) and yup, they totaled to about 45 min. It was such a tease too... because the dude's video was 1.5 hrs long... he played through them twice for some reason... I was starting to think "damn, this game feels LONG" lol. them bam, it ends. Totally a Halo 2 style ending, that's for sure.

So 15 missions across 4.75 hours... that's about 19 min per mission, which is pretty perfect average mission length, IMO... Honestly I'd be happier with an average closer to 15 min.

Edit: huh... watching your review, now, so 3 of those 15 missions can be completed in under
two
minutes? Well I guess that does take the average up quite a bit... why bother making them playable missions? lol So I'd say this game has 12 missions, not 15...

Trup1aya

Oh, fucking please.

It's a relevant statistic, like any other. And when given a range that was supposedly based on real-world playtest data, people don't expect values significantly below the minimum of said range. It's basic common sense.

He gave a single data point, from a single playthrough, on a single difficulty, by a person who would be better served on a higher difficulty. And you are trying to use it in a discussion about average range? Do you think the typical player is going to purposefully select a difficulty below their skill level, then complain about how short it is?

Fuck outta here...

The range frankly gave was based on his knowledge of how people's typical playthroughs have gone. Did you think he was suggesting that it would take a skilled player 8 hrs to beat the game on an easy mode? Is that 'typically' how a skilled player would choose to experience the game?

Of course not! It's much more likely that the range he gave is based on people playing at the difficulty setting that is tuned to there abilities!

It's perfectly plausible that a person who has a skill level that warrants a playthrough on normal would take 8hrs. And if I had to guess, that's the type of person they used to play test that difficulty (talk about common sense. How fucking useful would It be to use veterans to play test the normal difficulty?) It's also no surprise that someone who has experience playing through every other halo campaign can blow through it.

eastx

I was starting to think "damn, this game feels LONG" lol. them bam, it ends. Totally a Halo 2 style ending, that's for sure.

Although the ending quite obviously sets up Halo 6, I don't think Halo 5 ends as abruptly as Halo 2.

Some of my favorite games of all time have similar or lower scores...

Sunset Overdrive: 81
Halo ODST: 83
Dying Light: 74
O_O
Alien Isolation: 78
Alan Wake: 83
Wolfenstein The New Order: 81
Diablo 3: 86
Darksiders I and II: 83
Borderlands: 84
Viva Pinata: 84
The Last Remnant: 66
Dynasty Warriors 6: 60
F.E.A.R.: 85
Condemned: 81
Lost Odyssey: 78
Beautiful Katamari: 73
Enchanted Arms: 69

In fact, Halo CE, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Bioshock infinite (the last three being slammed by many on GAF regardless of meta, go figure) are the only games that are on my GOAT list that scored higher but you know what? I had no idea what ANY of their scores where until I just now looked it up. The vast majority of my favorite games of all time have damnable scores according to some of you because they didn't get 90-100 meta. smh.

Before I knew the scores I enjoyed them immensely but now that I know the scores I don't know if I can enjoy them anymore...
Am I doing it right?

That's what I said about Star Trek VI and the Next Generation movies, every modern James Bond movie, modern Doctor Who, Batman comics, and lots of other stuff that continues to be produced despite the departure of the creator. No wait, I didn't say that.

Well the TNG movies are god awful for the most part and miss the tone of the show in almost every way imaginable, modern Doctor Who seems like something that does nothing but pander to Starbucks perusing teens from what I've watched, and James Bond has been recycling old books for ages. Also, lets not put the mess that is the Halo 5 story anywhere near the level of Batman. 99% of the time when the original creators depart the quality goes in the gutter, see Disney for example. It really doesn't inspire confidence when the new people in charge say they "want to be like George Lucas". Of course this is all my opinion.

Cru

He gave a single data point, from a single playthrough, on a single difficulty, by a person who would be better served on a higher difficulty. And you are trying to use it in a discussion about range?

Fuck outta here...

The range frankly gave was unscientific, yet based on his knowledge of how people's playthroughs have gone. Did you think he was suggesting that it would take a skilled player 8 hrs to beat the game on easy?

Of course not! It's much more likely that the range he gave is based on people playing at the difficulty setting that is tuned to there abilities?

It's perfectly plausible that a person who has a skill level that warrants a play through on normal would take 8hrs. It's also no surprise that someone who has experience playing through every other halo campaign can blow through it.

You're wasting your time with him. lol

Has there been any update on whether you can play with friends on both sides of the Atlantic at the same time in Arena yet?

Not too much point getting Halo if I can't, hoping the ping check will allow for a half decent ping at least.

I asked Gamersyde and they said the campaign felt a tad shorter than Halo 4 and that it feels like the story unfolds too fast. A shame. I love long shooter campaigns and of all my 'fears' for this game, campaign length wasn't one of them.

The fact that Microsoft built a FPS studio from scratch and didn't screw up an existing proven gameplay formula impresses me. It could have went wrong in so many ways. Toss in the fact that a lot of talent from Halo 4 left and you have to conclude they did it twice. Whoever was in charge of hiring talent at 343 deserves a promotion otherwise they will be poached.

Pug

I asked Gamersyde and they said the campaign felt a tad shorter than Halo 4 and that it feels like the story unfolds too fast. A shame. I love long shooter campaigns and of all my 'fears' for this game, campaign length wasn't one of them.
A tad shorter than 4 sounds fine to me.

shoreu

He gave a single data point, from a single playthrough, on a single difficulty, by a person who would be better served on a higher difficulty. And you are trying to use it in a discussion about average range? Do you think the typical player is going to purposefully select a difficulty below their skill level, then complain about how short it is?

Fuck outta here...

The range frankly gave was based on his knowledge of how people's typical playthroughs have gone. Did you think he was suggesting that it would take a skilled player 8 hrs to beat the game on easy? Is that 'typically' how a skilled player would choose to experience the game?

Of course not! It's much more likely that the range he gave is based on people playing at the difficulty setting that is tuned to there abilities!

It's perfectly plausible that a person who has a skill level that warrants a playthrough on normal would take 8hrs. And if I had to guess, that's the type of person they used to play test that difficulty (talk about common sense) It's also no surprise that someone who has experience playing through every other halo campaign can blow through it.

Yeah anyone who's played through the entire series should know this... I bet I could run through most if not all of the halo games on easy today and I might die 2 times because I'm fucking around. You almost never have to stop moving at this difficulty it's just a long ass walk to the end.

Sorry if this is the wrong time/place to ask, but what is opencritic and why is it being posted around?

I get that it's a MC alternative, but is it created by a Gaffer or something? What's the difference?

Sorry, I just saw it on the first page so I'm curious.

SomTervo

Some of my favorite games of all time have similar or lower scores...

Sunset Overdrive: 81
Halo ODST: 83
Dying Light: 74
O_O
Alien Isolation: 78
Alan Wake: 83
Wolfenstein The New Order: 81
Diablo 3: 86
Darksiders I and II: 83
Borderlands: 84
Viva Pinata: 84
The Last Remnant: 66
Dynasty Warriors 6: 60
F.E.A.R.: 85
Condemned: 81
Lost Odyssey: 78
Beautiful Katamari: 73
Enchanted Arms: 69

In fact, Halo CE, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Bioshock infinite (the last three being slammed by many on GAF regardless of meta, go figure) are the only games that are on my GOAT list that scored higher but you know what? I had no idea what ANY of their scores where until I just now looked it up. The vast majority of my favorite games of all time have damnable scores according to some of you because they didn't get 90-100 meta. smh.

Before I knew the scores I enjoyed them immensely but now that I know the scores I don't know if I can enjoy them anymore...
Am I doing it right?

Damn straight, friend.

Especially props on the Dying Light. Probably the most shockingly unfair spree of criticism I have ever seen. That is such an incredible fun game, and even it if wasn't fun, it's solid as fuck. Few/no technical issues, great simulation, big world, loads of content...

74?!

Sorry if this is the wrong time/place to ask, but what is opencritic and why is it being posted around?

I get that it's a MC alternative, but is it created by a Gaffer or something? What's the difference?

Me too.

So 15 missions across 4.75 hours... that's about 19 min per mission, which is pretty perfect average mission length, IMO... Honestly I'd be happier with an average closer to 15 min.

Er, no. 12 missions.

3 of the missions in Halo 5 are comprised of walking up to a person, holding x to talk to them, walking up to a second (and one time third) person, then holding x to talk to them, and then walking to the pelican and peacing out.

There's plenty of stuff to explore, but absolutely nothing to DO in those missions.

So more like 23 minutes per mission. Which I agree is tolerable.

Z3M0G

^ Oh right, that would take the average up, not down... math fail on my part (edited my post)

Although the ending quite obviously sets up Halo 6, I don't think Halo 5 ends as abruptly as Halo 2.

Yah, without knowing how the gameplay and encounters played out, I can't say if you would "feel is coming" more in H5 than H2... because in H2, you sure as hell didn't...

shoreu

I don't think all companies have equal sway on scores. So smaller groups who aren't as credible don't have as much impact on the meta score.

The fact that Microsoft built a FPS studio from scratch and didn't screw up an existing proven gameplay formula impresses me. It could have went wrong in so many ways. Toss in the fact that a lot of talent from Halo 4 left and you have to conclude they did it twice. Whoever was in charge of hiring talent at 343 deserves a promotion otherwise they will be poached.

I look at the bolded as a positive with regard to H5's prospects.

Trup1aya

Yeah anyone who's played through the entire series should know this... I bet I could run through most if not all of the halo games on easy today and I might die 2 times because I'm fucking around. You almost never have to stop moving at this difficulty it's just a long ass walk to the end.

Yeah since everyone wants to take stinkles to task on 'range' I think we need to see how long it takes a speed runner to beat H5 on easy... Only then will we know how much of a bullshitter Frankie has been... Lol

Axbarn

Banned
With almost every reviewer coming to a consensus that the story is bad, I guess my suspicions were right to be had.

Ever since the "hunt the truth" locke vs master chief marketing campaign I've feared this would be a completely non-Halo-esque story of one guy and his gang teaming up to tail Master Chief and the whole plot would revolve around this one-sided revenge plot while MC's goal won't even be relevant until the credits roll and a general idea for H6's story is teased.

I don't really like H4's plot that much but it had certain emotional beats I liked and I was interested in seeing how they might've been able to perhaps get a better writer in here after H4's writer left for Bioware and then polish up the general tone (which it seems they actually have) and carrying the plot further with most writing-aspects improved.

Somehow I don't think that's the case.

And a good bulk went to Bungie.

Heck, they hired one of Halo 5's narrative designers recently.

Could that be Troisi Armando? I just want him to go back to Bioware already! He was the reason why I loved Mass Effect 2 despite having a pretty bland main plot. His work really showed in it as opposed to ME3 that had much more amateruish cinematic compositions.

VinFTW

With almost every reviewer coming to a consensus that the story is bad, I guess my suspicions were right to be had.

Ever since the "hunt the truth" locke vs master chief marketing campaign I've feared this would be a completely non-Halo-esque story of one guy and his gang teaming up to tail Master Chief and the whole plot would revolve around this one-sided revenge plot while MC's goal won't even be relevant until the credits roll and a general idea for H6's story is teased.

I don't really like H4's plot that much but it had certain emotional beats I liked and I was interested in seeing how they might've been able to perhaps get a better writer in here after H4's writer left for Bioware and then polish up the general tone (which it seems they actually have) and carrying the plot further with most writing-aspects improved.

Somehow I don't think that's the case.

what

This is the first Halo game that I won't be picking up at launch. Might be a while before I even play it all.

Another thing that concerns me is that games like this with such a big name get rubber stamp 9/10 reviews all over the place. For this to be getting an 85 on metacritic makes me pretty cautious.

shoreu

Yeah since everyone wants to take stinkles to taste on 'range' I think we need to see how long it takes Walshy to beat H5 on easy... Only then will we know how mush of a bullshitter Frankie has been... Lol

Lmfao! Or better yet Stinkles himself. I predict it'll take him a solid 20 hours 😂😂😂😂😂😂

n0razi

Man, this just makes me worried about the shitstorm that will ensue if Uncharted 4 is to get anything below 90 on metacritic lol.

Uncharted is getting 90+ guaranteed.. It's unfair, but a cinematic 3rd person action game will appeal to more people than an fps where the meat is for the hardcore deathmstcher

Er, no. 12 missions.

3 of the missions in Halo 5 are comprised of walking up to a person, holding x to talk to them, walking up to a second (and one time third) person, then holding x to talk to them, and then walking to the pelican and peacing out.

There's plenty of stuff to explore, but absolutely nothing to DO in those missions.

So more like 23 minutes per mission. Which I agree is tolerable.

So you can actually just explore around but not do anything? Do we find skulls or other collectables there at all?

Heretic

Pretty disappointed that the campaign isn't getting better reviews. They're good reviews. I was expecting great seeing as Campaign is what I play most.

Can't wait to play it still!

So you can actually just explore around but not do anything? Do we find skulls or other collectables there at all?

I've only really explored one of the areas (which I swear is repeated in the following mission of the same variety), and while there were no skulls, there were a bunch of data pads and NPCs to talk to.

My BIGGEST problem with these missions is that while your gun is "put away", it takes up a huge amount of screen real estate. That coupled with the low FOV makes it kinda hard to run around and explore.
GqMlaZ0.jpg

Uncharted is getting 90+ guaranteed.. It's unfair, but a cinematic 3rd person action game will appeal to more people than an fps where the meat is for the hardcore deathmstcher
What!? If uncharted 4 is bad the reviews will reflect that!? Are you guys serious in here!! Reviewers didn't like the story they docked points o well..it has an 85 meta still good. Trying to throw uncharted under the bus is ridiculous

etta

my hard graphic balls
And people were saying Halo isn't a monumental franchise.
Look at all these reactions. Some of them are so severe, too.

Septic360

Banned

Spot on. Which title do you reckon is harder to get right? A fps with a diehard following of MP players with entrenched notions of how the gameplay should work...whilst at the same time making massive strides to evolve the formula somehow AND deliver an experience that runs smoothly technically online PLUS a campaign done right

Versus

A more linear (albeit less so with the fourth entry) experience that needs to deliver a fun story, with not so drastic changes in gameplay and beautiful visuals.

I'd say the former by a LONG SHOT. Still, delivering ND quality experiences is no mean feat- They make it look easy and they are near the top of their class, bested only perhaps by Rockstar.

343 guys, if you're reading this, just be proud of the feat you have managed.

My take on this is:

You got Halo 4's campaign right (ish) but mp was a misstep

Now Halo 5's campaign is a misstep but you fundamentally got the mp right apparently, which is great and you should recognise the enormity of the feat.

With Halo 6, make sure you smash the overall package out of the park. Well done for your efforts though. (although i haven't played it yet and could think its shite haha, which I doubt I will).

Papacheeks

Banned

OMG , so on point with this thread.

Honest question though:

Since the game ends abruptly according to people who have played it, do you think there is planned campaign DLC on the horizon?

Because it that's the case, then no thanks.

Halo 4's campaign I thought was pretty damn great. Hearing how short this is, and how the story is kind of shit makes me sad, because I thought all the new story elements they introduced in 4 was a fresh change of pace.

Starfield

I've only really explored one of the areas (which I swear is repeated in the following mission of the same variety), and while there were no skulls, there were a bunch of data pads and NPCs to talk to.

My BIGGEST problem with these missions is that while your gun is "put away", it takes up a huge amount of screen real estate. That coupled with the low FOV makes it kinda hard to run around and explore.
GqMlaZ0.jpg

just switch over to pistol

Top Bottom