• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Welfare

Halo 4's playlist management was terrible. You shouldn't confuse poor implantation for an idea being bad. You don't need to be all or nothing either and this crap about just throwing everything in is ridiculous. I don't think that's what 343 is trying to do.

OMG thank you. That management was shit tier IMO.

Ascension was the bee's knees. ToP was good, and I remember Zombies playing well on it as well.

Mix

I straight up dislike that map. There's nothing good about it. There are worse maps of course, but how it passed as a remake selection is beyond me.

Pretty sure this is the only thing you and I have ever really disagreed on tbh. I love that map.

jem0208

Good post.

I think sprint can (and does) work in Halo and would be fine with it in 5.

Congrats on the job btw.
Real question is why should Sprint be in Halo?

All I see is "It's fun".
Really?
Can't construct something better than that?

It's fun b'cuz it adds something better than what traditional halo couldn't offer in ___ gametypes/maps. For ex.

Not targeting posts but that kinda bothers me when I see that in regards to the topic.

It is fun though, it creates more options for trick jumps, it has a great sense of speed. It's fun to just sprint across the battlefield.

As for other benefits, as I said above, better and more options for trick jumps. It's a great tool for flanking and surprise attacks. It's means less downtime when stuck in the middle of nowhere or if you've just respawned. Which I think is a good thing. It may mean there's less of a punishment for death. However wandering around looking for people is boring.

Someone should point Jem to The Henery's post detailing why Halo 4 failed on nearly every level. I remember thinking it was the most comprehensive and spot-on assessment of the game from the eyes of not only a true Halo fan, but a casual Halo fan as well.

I'd happily give them a read.

However I really can't see me agreeing with it. I really enjoyed my time with 4 so I certainly wouldn't agree that it had failed on nearly every level.

Obscured

I haven't been following and am super drunk right now, but how many days out are we? So excited for this. I can't wait to try all of the MP and see how they compare. This feels like it is going to be a collection that is going to be awesome to play with others. I hope it has some legs going forward, but it is hard to imagine it not having a healthy population for a long time.

Welfare

I haven't been following and am super drunk right now, but how many days out are we? So excited for this. I can't wait to try all of the MP and see how they compare. This feels like it is going to be a collection that is going to be awesome to play with others. I hope it has some legs going forward, but it is hard to imagine it not having a healthy population for a long time.

16 days! We need one of those countdown clocks in the OP.

Mix

As of Sunday, we are 15 days away depending of course on how you count it out. I count to the Monday of because of Midnight launch and the fact I'll be working the launch for the GameStop I work at that night.

Random17

Slayer on the Ascension was the first game I played in Halo 2, so I instantly have +100 nostalgia on that map.

Same applies with Cairo Station, the Silent Cartographer and Blood Gulch.

willow ve

Halo would benefit greatly from a server browser

For as much as BF4 did (and still sometimes does) wrong their server browser/search is awesome on console.

It can be done.

-----

In other news seems like a lot of big retailers are doing deals on Xbox One the week of MCC launch. Most everyone has a $50 discount, some have more than that. Feels like another "build your own bundle" type of thing.

Omni

And I'm unbanned. Was gonna leave this thread untl release anyway but I'm impatient and grow bored easily.
Hoping for a good rank system, that isn't easily exploitable. Nobody needs boosting, deranking or cheating people.
But how else am I gonna be able to sell my accounts for 1500 ms points
I watched that video you linked me. Haha I don't even know where to begin. Haven't ran into anyone like that in a Halo game for a while :3

It's been said 1000 times, but damn the Blur CG Halo 2A cutscenes look nice:

WUAV55N.png
343i just hates purple, don't they? I really don't understand it. Why is Cortana bright blue? Halo 3 I can understand. But she was always purple in Halo 2.
I wonder what High Charity looks like now. That was essentially pink and grey in the original

Impala26

There will be so many second accounts because of shared gold on console.

Don't have a ONE (yet) but this is indeed the case then? How the hell does this work with matchmaking in games online?
Specifically, I mean like how do usernames appear, i.e. offensive names, duplicate names to other users?

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
343i just hates purple, don't they? I really don't understand it. Why is Cortana bright blue? Halo 3 I can understand. But she was always purple in Halo 2.
Canonical consistency mate. She's got her halo 3 appearance in CEA, only makes sense she has a single incarnation for the original trilogy.

Japarican

Banned

Yeah, but this time people might go for a 50 in everything. I sure as hell am gonna be busy doing that goal while getting all those achievements so boosting is not going to happen for a while, hell it might not even happen before halo 5 is out

Omni

Canonical consistency mate. She's got her halo 3 appearance in CEA, only makes sense she has a single incarnation for the original trilogy.

I mean you know they've changed Master Chief's armour, heavily and fundamentally redesigned enemies, weapons and ships without explanation, right? 343i doesn't give a crap about "canonical consistency" :lol

CliQ

So, I have a few questions that hopefully HaloGAF can answer.

1. Do we know if you can switch the CEA game sounds back to the original for MP? I would really like to have the original sounds.

2. Do we know if we can switch the HUD back to the original XBOX hud? If you look at any clips from IGN's coverage you'll see that the HUD is different from the original and I want to point out that they changed the Sniper reticle for some reason.

I don't have any pictures of the original HUD because it's hard to find but if anyone knows I would really appreciate it.

This is a very minor issue I have with the game and am just glad I will get to play the MP online but wanted to know if we could truly have an original experience.

Madness

I think only the medals can be turned off for Halo CE MP. The hud is the CEA hud and I think that's going to be final, as is the sniper reticle. Basically Halo CE on Xbox One, is a Halo PC port, with CEA hud elements, while copying Halo CE Xbox multi-player settings/spawns.

CliQ

I think only the medals can be turned off for Halo CE MP. The hud is the CEA hud and I think that's going to be final, as is the sniper reticle. Basically Halo CE on Xbox One, is a Halo PC port, with CEA hud elements, while copying Halo CE Xbox multi-player settings/spawns.

That's what I assumed but had to ask if anything could be switch back to the original.

Thanks

FatMarshall

Neo Member
It might actually significantly affect ranked, considering all the competitive players will keep making new accounts to get that 50. XB360 required Gold on an account to play ranked, even on Gold-free weekends or whatever, and it still made Halo 3's ranked playlists unbearable when new-accounters would hop in and throw people off completely. Now it'll be much worse.

not much a ranked fan anyhow, having to face the likes of yourself in each game can be sort of exausting, more social playlists therefore would be a nice thing to get some relaxing rounds once in a while
i think only a H2A social playlist is available on launch, not a lot tbh

then again the matchmaking system traditionally had its flaws, so lets see how itll turn out with the next weeks IGN article

Mix

Seeing the Elites in H2A makes me wish 343 never redesigned the elites. They look awful now.

Well, based on the Arbiter in the E3 trailer that introduced him and Locke, I'd say they're kinda going back to basics a bit with him and possibly other elites as well.

-Ryn

Banned
So excited for the MCC and the Beta footage.

Good post.

I think sprint can (and does) work in Halo and would be fine with it in 5.

Congrats on the job btw.

It is fun though, it creates more options for trick jumps, it has a great sense of speed. It's fun to just sprint across the battlefield.

As for other benefits, as I said above, better and more options for trick jumps. It's a great tool for flanking and surprise attacks. It's means less downtime when stuck in the middle of nowhere or if you've just respawned. Which I think is a good thing. It may mean there's less of a punishment for death. However wandering around looking for people is boring.

I'd happily give them a read.

However I really can't see me agreeing with it. I really enjoyed my time with 4 so I certainly wouldn't agree that it had failed on nearly every level.
Thanks man.

Your thoughts on sprint are good as well.

Anybody still needing an XB1? Here's one with Kinect for $373 from Amazon Warehouse Deals http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMQTVUA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
You are a gentleman and a scholar

Mix

halo-wars-oxcgn-11.jpg

I miss this game :'(

Sigh

I might go pick this up today :/
I got it when it first came out and got the mission where the Scarab is stuck and keeps blasting you and blasting you and blasting you until I finally gave up and played like 3 matches of MP and traded it in for $40.

I want a sequel. One that's ported to both Xbox One and PC so it actually behaves like a proper, full-fledged RTS game.

I want a sequel too, but putting it on PC would kind of defeat the point. The reason it worked as well as it did on the 360 is that it was built exclusively for the controller. Put it on PC and it's gonna feel overly limited/simplistic, build it for both platforms at once and you'll just run into the typical PC RTS on console issues. Unless they enable M+KB for the X1, anyway.

Actually, now that I think about it...

jelly

Halo 4 soundtrack is pretty decent now that I can actually hear it besides only remembering 117 in the game which is a great track and the multiplayer lobby one. The rest must have been mixed terribly. Doesn't feel as unique as Marty's work but still some good stuff in there, feels more fitting to a modern game or film and lacks punch, just kinda overflows into any sort of dramatic music.

Some of those remixes on the Halo 2 soundtrack, no just no. Love the build up in Peril, always want it to keep going. Impend is also a favourite.

Fuchsdh

Sigh

I might go pick this up today :/
I got it when it first came out and got the mission where the Scarab is stuck and keeps blasting you and blasting you and blasting you until I finally gave up and played like 3 matches of MP and traded it in for $40.

That's actually one of the easiest missions; if you upgrade your marines to ODSTs and then garrison them in one of the watchtowers the Scarab gets "stuck" trying to kill him and mostly stops moving his head. Makes it a fairly easy mission, even on Legendary.

Missions 4-5, however, are absolutely brutal. The difficulty curve is a bit messed up on that campaign.

GrizzNKev

Banned
That's actually one of the easiest missions; if you upgrade your marines to ODSTs and then garrison them in one of the watchtowers the Scarab gets "stuck" trying to kill him and mostly stops moving his head. Makes it a fairly easy mission, even on Legendary.

Missions 4-5, however, are absolutely brutal. The difficulty curve is a bit messed up on that campaign.

I never finished it because it was my first RTS and it was too hard. :(

I'm terrible at strategy games.

Top Bottom