• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

PDHALOWARS2-684x296.png

There's always hope

There's hope for anything after Killer Instinct was announced lol. An IP that was basically dead for like 17 years got revived, anything can happen

ugh don't remind me.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
MCC is installed and ready to rock
that 20gb patch

I'm so excited! I just can't hide it!

oG81dp2.gif

quote me and past my avatar. do it

Halo wars needs to be stripped down and simplified like the first one.

Arcadey straight up action was what differentiated halo wars from pc strategy games.

Fuck outta here with that convoluted complicated strategy shit. Keep halo wars compact and to the point.

Setting up supply pads and sending your hog to the known random supplies at the beginning of a match is enough for supply gathering. That should be the thought process behind most things in the game. That's why the first one worked so well.

I don't play other Rts games with depth and complicated systems. Halo wars had simplicity, so just do it again.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo Wars was pretty hard, I beat it on normal but there's no way I'd be able to do legendary. Some of those "do X on mission Y in 3:00" things are nearly impossible too. I have so many Halo achievements leftover on that game.

I'll throw them in with the 2 Halo 3 achievements I didn't get. I don't think I'll ever get a perfection in Halo 3.

Good post.

I think sprint can (and does) work in Halo and would be fine with it in 5.

Congrats on the job btw.

It is fun though, it creates more options for trick jumps, it has a great sense of speed. It's fun to just sprint across the battlefield.

As for other benefits, as I said above, better and more options for trick jumps. It's a great tool for flanking and surprise attacks. It's means less downtime when stuck in the middle of nowhere or if you've just respawned. Which I think is a good thing. It may mean there's less of a punishment for death. However wandering around looking for people is boring.

I'd happily give them a read.

However I really can't see me agreeing with it. I really enjoyed my time with 4 so I certainly wouldn't agree that it had failed on nearly every level.

Before I say why I think sprint should be in Halo I want to say that I'm fine with whatever choices 343 makes. Sprint, no sprint, it doesn't really make a difference to me.

Sprint allows players to try and surprise attack people in flanking opportunities. In a game with no radar sprint is a very valuable tool and to a lesser extent sprint makes radar not as strong because the sprinter can rush up on someone possibly before that person has a chance to react to their radar.

Of course there are cons to sprint but I wanted to chime in.

He wasn't saying it was bad. He said it could work, gave good examples in which it could benefit gameplay, but also acknowledged some of the flaws. I don't think sprint works in smaller maps for instance but I think it's great for big team. His points on Halo CE were good too. As per the norm.

It provides a way to get around large maps instead of a long jog.
Provides more opportunities for trick jumps.
Gives players the another way to take on a fight.
All what has been listed here is as far as Sprint has to offer in MP.

I don't mind it in any other mode except MP. But than it depends what specific playlists are being effected using it. Personally I do not want Sprint to touch Arena ever again.

Anything else is sort of okay. But it should be either scrapped or placed in its own playlist.

I've had many discussions and arguments regarding Sprint being in Halo. And many who defend it wants to have a split playlist where Traditional Halo should exist and Sprint being the core focus. That's nice that they want a split playlist. BUT having Sprint (or Infinity slayer as the core gameplay) is the wrong choice to cater new players and alienating your veteran players or new players who want an Arena experience.

It just won't work. And lead to the downfall of Halo 4 altogether. We've see it with Reach.

Having an AA for Sprint in Reach was fine imho.

But default Sprint is just worse in so many ways possible vs. what pros it has to offer.

It's as almost the only choice the Halo devs have is to either go back to just Traditional, stick to Infinity, or find some middle ground for the core focus.

And Halo 5 looks to be that middle ground but having Arena as their core focus but with added variables to bridge the gap that Traditional halo wouldn't do well in moving forward.

Too early to tell with these Spartan abilities, but using Thruster Pack 2.0 to be that added variable but with a more risk and reward factor should replace Sprint in Arena type mode. Sprint should be an option to play in any other non-arena playlist. You shouldn't force that on players at start. Bad decision overall. Strictly speaking in MP only.

Halo Wars was pretty hard, I beat it on normal but there's no way I'd be able to do legendary. Some of those "do X on mission Y in 3:00" things are nearly impossible too. I have so many Halo achievements leftover on that game.

I'll throw them in with the 2 Halo 3 achievements I didn't get. I don't think I'll ever get a perfection in Halo 3.
I thought the same. Was my first Rts game. After spending too much time in MP the campaign was piss easy. Maxed that game over a period of 4-5 years. Only got the General rank achievement last year.

Halo wars is a game I always go back to. Like Gears 3, Usf4, Halo etc. Staying power and replay value

HunRevan

I'm gonna play MCC tomorrow. Wish me luck because I'm not sure I will survive all that nostalgic feels. :) I can't say or write anything about it though.

So the Halo interview thing I did for MS might be airing tomorrow...I am DREADING the gifs. :\

The internet is a kind and welcoming place, right?

.....guys?

....right?

blamite

Any Xbone owners in here have any experience with this headset? Good sound quality, chat/game audio balance, etc.? Battery life? Basically I'm just looking for something somewhat comparable to the PS4 Gold headset, at around the $60-70 mark. Any better wireless recommendations?

Any Xbone owners in here have any experience with this headset? Good sound quality, chat/game audio balance, etc.? Basically I'm just looking for something somewhat comparable to the PS4 Gold headset, at around the $60-70 mark. Any better wireless recommendations?

As I've heard, you can't hear yourself talk, and the volume levels are controlled with buttons and not dials, so you can't get a truly custom audio level. Oh, and it's not true surround.

Otherwise, I understand it to be a very serviceable headset.

Any Xbone owners in here have any experience with this headset? Good sound quality, chat/game audio balance, etc.? Battery life? Basically I'm just looking for something somewhat comparable to the PS4 Gold headset, at around the $60-70 mark. Any better wireless recommendations?
Yeah it's what I use and I've got no complaints. Great headset, especially so at that price.

Granadier

Speaking of Xbox One headsets, what do each of you use?
if you use one at all

wwm0nkey

So because I'm still working on my VR set up I bought one of these things (well kickstarted it)

Kor-FX-gaming-vest.jpg

apparently though it works on anything, so even though its meant for my VR set up I am VERY excited to try this on the MCC.
*Also still trying to get Halo 2 to work on VR, got it to work somewhat but its....not too good due to limitations of H2V itself it seems.

-Ryn

Banned
I've used it on my bros Xbone and while the sound quality is passable and the connection is fine the sound lacked clarity and felt a but fuzzy if that makes any sense. If you're just looking for a serviceable headset it could be good as I haven't tried any other headsets for the one. I'll look around.

Akai__

Need to get one of those chat adapters, so I can chat and play with the Astro A40, like I used to.

I still don't know, why the chat can't work via USB instead of going through the controller. That's just dumb, but so are many things with the Xbox One.

jem0208

Need to get one of those chat adapters, so I can chat and play with the Astro A40, like I used to.

I still don't know, why the chat can't work via USB instead of going through the controller. That's just dumb, but so are many things with the Xbox One.
They want those chat adapter $$$s

-Ryn

Banned
Speaking of Xbox One headsets, what do each of you use?
if you use one at all
While I don't have one right now I'd like to get a wired one eventually as I find not having to charge stuff more convenient than wireless.

Is your avatar supposed to be nuts on coffee or clones?

So because I'm still working on my VR set up I bought one of these things (well kickstarted it)

Kor-FX-gaming-vest.jpg

apparently though it works on anything, so even though its meant for my VR set up I am VERY excited to try this on the MCC.
*Also still trying to get Halo 2 to work on VR, got it to work somewhat but its....not too good due to limitations of H2V itself it seems.
That's really cool man. Good luck getting it working. I love that VR has had the enormous boom since the Oculus was done.

Just bought the Xbone headset last week - really love it so far. :) Very comfortable.

Granadier

The official MS ones. They're aight.

None ATM, but there's a place near me selling the official ones for ~36 dollars. So I'm considering it.

These might be worth going for. Not too interested in paying the 200-300 price of a wireless set. Poodle, how far are you from MN?

I've never needed to use a headset. None of my friends have X1s :(

Good plan. I'll just tell my friends to fuck off so I don't have to buy a nicer headset.
cereal doe, add me on live. xGranadier

While I don't have one right now I'd like to get a wired one eventually as I find not having to charge stuff more convenient than wireless.

Is your avatar supposed to be nuts on coffee or clones?

Ask The Flash. I'm assuming it involved some illegal drugs mixed with coffee and some genetic testing.

Tritton Kunai Universal

This looks smexy, but that price must be real
fucking expensive
How's the controller battery life when running a headset?

Are there any headsets that have their own batteries like the Sony sets?

These might be worth going for. Not too interested in paying the 200-300 price of a wireless set. Poodle, how far are you from MN?

Good plan. I'll just tell my friends to fuck off so I don't have to buy a nicer headset.

Ask The Flash. I'm assuming it involved some illegal drugs mixed with coffee and some genetic testing.

This looks smexy, but that price must be real
fucking expensive
How's the controller battery life when running a headset?

Are there any headsets that have their own batteries like the Sony sets?

~800 miles :p

IHaveIce

Banned

You'll learn to love your XbOne. Especially the UI, like you said yesterday that you aren't a fan of it, but believe me snap center is da present of da gods.

And I still use the standard mic that was packed in, it works quite well, at least it is not the PS4 packed in headset

jem0208

Will do when I get back to my xbox.

I need to add a bunch of you guys before the MCC releases.

You'll learn to love your XbOne. Especially the UI, like you said yesterday that you aren't a fan of it, but believe me snap center is da present of da gods.

And I still use the standard mic that was packed in, it works quite well, at least it is not the PS4 packed in headset

I keep accidentally opening the snap centre when I try and turn off my controller.

I think my controller might be a bit broken though. The sticks definitely are, the vertical deadzone for both of them is huge and they click when I go from pushing them up to punching them down. It's really annoying...

Akai__

That's probably true, but so far many things feel just like a step backwards.

I don't even know, if I'll be able to play on Bumper Jumper, because the Bumpers on the controller feel so stupid and they are hard to press, if you have to press them quickly.

Granadier

Will do when I get back to my xbox.

I need to add a bunch of you guys before the MCC releases.

The MCC OT should have a list of all our tags.

Right Mix?

Right?

That's probably true, but so far many things feel just like a step backwards.

I don't even know, if I'll be able to play on Bumper Jumper, because the Bumpers on the controller feel so stupid and they are hard to press, if you have to press them quickly.

Remember the 360 UI from a year after release? It was pretty trash compared to what it became.
Just a matter of time. The UI devs seem to be really, really invested in creating a great experience for the One.

How many of you guys and gals that digitally preordered the MCC have been able to 100% fully complete the initial download of 45.6 GB of data?

Nine days after preordering and I am still having issues with the download. I have tried all the various suggested remedies from Xbox support and elsewhere.

Mine took ~3 days to fully downloaded and installed properly. It got set back % wise a couple times, and it even gave me a "Game Installed" alert once, then went back to 82%.
Just leave it off in standby mode overnight and it will eventually install itself fully.
Good thing they opened up the pre-loading with plenty of time before release.

How many of you guys and gals that digitally preordered the MCC have been able to 100% fully complete the initial download of 45.6 GB of data?

Nine days after preordering and I am still having issues with the download. I have tried all the various suggested remedies from Xbox support and elsewhere.

jem0208

I didn't have a single issue with downloading it. Started it the day pre loading was available and it finished overnight.

The MCC OT should have a list of all our tags.

Right Mix?

Right?

Oh really? I'll have to get my GT on there...

I have it and it works great. Really comfortable and sound is good for stereo. The only thing I've noticed is that, since the signal comes through the controller, if you're using the controller wirelessly at the time, in a crowded wireless atmosphere the sound quality can occasionally drop the further away you get.

When wired, though, sounds great 100% of the time.

Top Bottom