• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people who like the Multiplayer achievements.
Is that a rebuttal of some sort? There are people who like armor like. A very, very small minority of people who like armor lock. You're saying that armor like should be in Halo 4 to please this very small group of people?

Keep 'em out, 343i. There's no excuse.

Edit: Also, happy birthday Nutter. I don't know how Hypertrooper knows everyone's birthday, but let's hope that's all he knows. :p

I hope 343 is looking into the biggest problem with the multiplayer: player retention for non-Slayer playlists.

Possible solutions:

- Extra cR/XP and/or Double cR/XP Weekends for playlists with historically low player
populations.
- Team-wide cR/XP for completing objectives
- Don't put anything Slayer as the first option
- I think the second-biggest issue involving Objective gametypes is the lack of incentive
for solo players. Solo players know that without a team they're going to lose, which is why they stick to Slayer. Perhaps a cR/XP bonus for teams with solo players. (Or separating solo players and team players into two different playlists.)
- Avatar awards/emblem unlocks for completing x amount of games in certain playlists.

I thought about training hoppers for each playlist, but there might be too many issues (new account trolling, potentially major wait times after the first year) that unless they are implemented only for the first few months of the game, it's better to avoid them.

Hey You

I don't which one worse: the one that requires you to assassinate someone out of AL (they can spin around to you instantly) or the one that requires you to specifically beat someone down from behind but NOT a full assassination animation while both of you are actively pressing the jetpack button.

Add the fact that you need to own Anniversary to get the new Defiant achievements (and then the Anniversary disc can't even load Defiant) plus the fact that you have to get them on Defiant specifically in the end is like.. stop it. Stop making these multiplayer achievements.

At minimum, Reach 1.0 let you unlock any of the DLC achievements as long as you had the maps installed. The 1.1 map-specific and having to own the latest DLC to unlock cheevements for previous DLC is straight up cash grab bullshit. I'm pretty sure they just expected people to boost these. And then there's not even any achievements for Unearthed or Installation 04.

Just a shining example of what their future games could be like. I really like Reach, but 343 hasn't exactly been perfect when it comes to supporting it.

Microsoft should have just gotten Bungie to make the Anniversary gametypes when they were developing Reach and taught 343 how to use Reach's backend stuff. Maybe the game wouldn't be as broken as it is now.

343 seems to be all over the map with the playlist management.

I like multiplayer achievements, but only if they weren't almost impossible to get without boosting.

More than two hours without posts?

Anyway, me and some buddies will be running a BTB lobby tonight at 8pm EST, we'll test heavy map variants and it'll be DLC required.

Whose in?

I am, I just gotta remember about this lobby :/

Is that a rebuttal of some sort? There are people who like armor like. A very, very small minority of people who like armor lock. You're saying that armor like should be in Halo 4 to please this very small group of people?

Keep 'em out, 343i. There's no excuse.

Edit: Also, happy birthday Nutter. I don't know how Hypertrooper knows everyone's birthday, but let's hope that's all he knows. :p
Dude. "A very, very small minority of people who like armor lock"? No. There are many people who love armor lock. There are many people who love the Armor abilities. There are many people who love Evade. There are many people who love Vanilla Reach. I'd agree if you were talking about the MP achievements.

Hey You

Dude. "A very, very small minority of people who like armor lock"? No. There are many people who love armor lock. There are many people who love the Armor abilities. There are many people who love Evade. There are many people who love Vanilla Reach. I'd agree if you were talking about the MP achievements.

Maybe a small minority inside of Halogaf like Armor Lock but how does anyone know what the general,broad Halo community things of AA,Multiplayer achievements or anything?

Tawpgun

Mini Boss battles in Halo 4.

Yay or Nay?

Because Reach had about.... none. Halo 3 had the scarabs but they got sorta old and easy by the time they hit you with two at once. 343GS doesn't count. Gravemind fight at the end of the Covenant looked like something that was cut.
Master_Chief_and_Arbiter_by_Talik13.jpg

Giant Gravemind Tentacle Arms. Back to Back MC and Arby. LETS GO- *tentacle arms retract. Flood combat forms attack.... okay...

I just want more unique encounters and elements. Otherwise everything feels the same. Like image fighting somewhere where electronics don't work. No shields, no hud. Or at the very least, no shields. What about an actual stealth mission. Things that are timed a la The Maw. Unique enemy encounters/mini bosses. And then of course keep the big wide open sandbox fights.

Um, that was my entire point. A very, very small minority of people like MP achievements. They shouldn't be in there just because 343i should feel the need to please a very small group of people.

@Tawpgun: Scarab fights never get old. So many ways to approach each one. So good. Latest example: fighting two Scarabs in a Wraith. If you think they're easy, try fighting one, albeit two, in a Wraith.

Gui_PT

Progression achievements in MP are fine.

Specific Map/Weapon/AA/action achievements are awful and should not exist.

This said, Halo 4 will have such achievements

Zoolader

Another wish list? Ok!

1. If split-screen is included again, please don't allow it to be an absolute pile of rubbish as it stands now. In split-screen many details such as geometry, textures, and weapons are globs of half rendered poo, if they even decide to render on screen at all.

2. As for Forge, I want a more powerful map editor that allows me to mold geometry and be able to pick from various object textures. If this means a stand alone product or limited to pc then that's great I want it even more.

3. Get rid of grainy/noisy filters, I miss Halo's bright, colorful, and crisp graphics.

4. Get rid of Credits, they don't really add anything to the Halo experience for me. I'd rather have the old ranking system (1-50) and I'd rather unlock armor by playing campaign or unlocking achievements.

5. Bloom... no thank you.

And that's my quick 1-5 list, thanks for reading.

Mini Boss battles in Halo 4.

Yay or Nay?

Because Reach had about.... none. Halo 3 had the scarabs but they got sorta old and easy by the time they hit you with two at once. 343GS doesn't count. Gravemind fight at the end of the Covenant looked like something that was cut.
Master_Chief_and_Arbiter_by_Talik13.jpg

Giant Gravemind Tentacle Arms. Back to Back MC and Arby. LETS GO- *tentacle arms retract. Flood combat forms attack.... okay...

I just want more unique encounters and elements. Otherwise everything feels the same. Like image fighting somewhere where electronics don't work. No shields, no hud. Or at the very least, no shields. What about an actual stealth mission. Things that are timed a la The Maw. Unique enemy encounters/mini bosses. And then of course keep the big wide open sandbox fights.

Sure, Im all for some mini-boss battles as long as they are dynamic and fit in with the sandbox. I wouldn't mind having an actual enemy to identify as a "boss" at times.

Edit: I like Reach's grainy filter, it gives it more realism and makes it look less like a cartoon tv series. Reach is still colorful and beautiful.

I like the look of Reach, but the IQ looks really bad at times and just looks washed out. Im not even talking about the colors per say, but just the over all IQ. Im all for Reach's more realistic art style though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The only "bosses" I like in the entire Halo series are the normal Brute Chieftans in Halo 3. I love the way they barrel down at you, and their battle cry. And the hammer, of course.

I've always found Scarabs boring.

Multiplayer achievements are okay, but when creating them you have to follow Duncan's Golden Rule of Cheesements that I am now making up (although I'm sure the same idea has been discussed here before):

If you are going to change player behavior, do it in the pre-game lobby (i.e. BEFORE they get matched with random online players).

-------
What do I mean by this? Never force players to behave differently within Matchmaking - give them the option to behave differently in custom games or at the playlist selection screen.

BAD: Do X in a matchmade game.
GOOD: Do X in a matchmade game OR in a custom game.

People that want to cheese the achievement can get it over with and go back to playing normally. People that want to get it naturally within matchmaking can still choose to do so. This allows the most flexibility for creating achievements and covers the biggest problem with the award conditions in Halo: Reach and its DLC.

-------
"Okay, but we can still make some matchmaking-exclusive achievements without affecting in-game behavior, right?" Yes, but be careful:

BAD: Win X matchmade Headhunter games.
GOOD: Win X matchmade Slayer games.

There are multiple dedicated Slayer playlists. There are NOT any dedicated Headhunter playlists - so if anyone is trying to get that achievement they'll change how they vote, which violates the Golden Rule above. We want to change player behavior before it can affect other players - at the playlist selection screen, not the voting screen.

-------
This applies to map voting as well:

BAD: Do X on Anchor 9.
BAD: Do X on any Defiant Map Pack map.
GOOD: Do X on any DLC map.

There isn't a dedicated Anchor 9 playlist. There was a dedicated Defiant Map Pack playlist - but not anymore. You have to think of future DLC and playlist changes when making achievements - there will always be at least one DLC playlist.

-------
"So does that leave anything else for matchmaking-specific achievements?" Yep, but you have to tie the goal directly to the win condition for the playlist:

GOOD: Be on the winning team and get the most kills in a matchmade Team Slayer game.
GOOD: Win X games in the Team Objective playlist. (Be sure you pick a playlist that will always be around.)
GOOD: Win X games in a free-for-all playlist. (Lone Wolves, Living Dead, etc.)

-------
Thoughts?

*Achievement unlocked: 25G - TLDR Pro*

Myyke

Neo Member
Yeah, I just don't understand how someone didn't notice how bad they were. Achievements aren't supposed to be easy, but when the challenge comes from the fact that matchmaking only gives you a tiny chance of getting the gametype and map you need then the challenge isnt a fun one lol.

Agreed, I think 343 went too specific with the recent achievements with restricting them to certain maps. I agree that achievements aren't supposed to be easy, I also think that they should always be achieveable. My main issue with multiplayer achievements is that as time passes and players leave the game it can become nigh on impossible to unlock them without boosting. Fire Controller achievement in Medal of Honor, I'm looking at YOU!

The persistence and player investment systems should be the focus and real draw of the multiplayer experience with non-gamerscore "achievements" and milestones. I find Battlefield 3 to be excellent in this regard - working on my ribbons and medals has the "gotta catch em' all" feel of unlocking achievements but are much more meaningful to the overall multiplayer experience, moreso than commendations in Reach.

A very, very small minority of people like MP achievements. They shouldn't be in there just because 343i should feel the need to please a very small group of people.

I don't agree that its a minority of people who like MP achievements, but I don't really see how this can be proven as a fact either way. I do agree though that 343 shouldn't feel the need to please a very small group of people, particularly as I'm the polar opposite opinion-wise on many of the suggestions in this and previous HaloGAF threads!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At least shop a pink hat on your version, Tunavi.

Edit : The Waypoint website is sooooooo slowwwwwwww.

TheOddOne

Double post page.

Also I want mini-bosses in Halo 4, I think they need to make a comeback. Shit, games back in the day use to have 'em all the time, why the fuck did the Industry move on from that glorious standard? Atleast Jap developers are still doing it, thank god for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom